Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Robbie Caldwell Steps down at Vandy

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Robbie Caldwell Steps down at Vandy
« on: November 27, 2010, 02:02:40 PM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5glRJdnbqmOzrLFIfx3tQVDvKbD9w?docId=2a52d51a3599491cbf148d66f80fee8c

Robbie Caldwell steps down as Vandy head coach
(AP) – 1 hour ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Robbie Caldwell resigned as Vanderbilt's head football coach on Saturday, hours before the Commodores concluded their season against Wake Forest.

The school said Caldwell's resignation will be effective after Saturday night's season finale. Caldwell was assistant head coach and offensive line coach under Bobby Johnson before taking over in mid-July, when Johnson announced his unexpected retirement.

The Commodores are just 2-9 in Caldwell's first try as a head coach.

"Having the opportunity to be Vanderbilt's head football coach has been a dream come true, and I greatly appreciated the chance to serve, and I gave it my best," Caldwell said in a statement. "However, after a lot of reflection, I've realized it is time for me to step aside and let someone else pick up the hard work and efforts of our staff."

Caldwell had been talking the past couple weeks about how he wasn't sure if he would be back after this season. He had wanted an entire offseason to make major changes, but he just didn't have enough time. His biggest change was swapping offensive coordinators in October, a move that improved offensive production only a bit.

Vanderbilt still ranks 115th out of 120 FBS teams in total offense, averaging 285.1 yards.

Coaches in their first season at Vanderbilt have struggled to win more than a couple games. Fred Pancoast debuted by going 7-4 in 1975. Since then, Gerry DiNardo went 5-6 in 1991 and Woody Widenhofer was 3-8 in 1997. Johnson was 2-10 in his first season in 2002.

David Williams, the vice chancellor in charge of athletics, thanked Caldwell and his assistants. Most of the coaches came in with Johnson and led Vanderbilt to a Music City Bowl victory in 2008, the program's first bowl appearance since 1982.

The Commodores will be looking for a new coach for the first time since the end of the 2001 season, and it will be the first time Williams has conducted a major coaching search since Vanderbilt eliminated its athletic department.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

Re: Robbie Caldwell Steps down at Vandy
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »
My God , every time a coaching opening comes open in the continental US, Malzahn is mentioned.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:40:30 PM »
My God , every time a coaching opening comes open in the continental US, Malzahn is mentioned.
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/17259/malzahn-at-top-of-vanderbilts-list
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
I would imagine Gus makes more at Auburn than Vandy's  willing to pay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »
I would imagine Gus makes more at Auburn than Vandy's  willing to pay.

Clay Travis (Tennessee reporter/blogger/douchebag) has reported that Vanderbilt is willing to pay $2 million for the right coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »
I know Malzahn will be offered a HC job soon...several maybe.  I don't think he's ready, but that's not my call, he's going to be offered them.  I hope, for his sake, that he's smart enough not to take a job like Vandy that would be career suicide to a guy that has so little D1 experience to fall back on after he can't win there...and he can't.  He makes a mistake like that, and he could find himself back in the HS ranks after it's determined that his offense is indeed a "gimmicky HS offense" because it doesn't work for him at Vandy with Vandy players. .
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
Clay Travis (Tennessee reporter/blogger/douchebag) has reported that Vanderbilt is willing to pay $2 million for the right coach.

I'm hearing that too...on the net, so FWIW.  I highly doubt that, but if he can score 2.2 Mil to coach Vandy...maybe he will take it.  He better sock some away, it will be the last D1 gig he ever gets probably.  And if Vandy is willing to shell out that much, they either have decided to make a committment to winning football games, or they want him to turn it around as is, and won't give him more than 2 years to do it at that pay grade. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »
He's an uber douche', I can't believe a school without an athletic department would pay that much for a coach. Who's going to interview the candidates? The flag football refs...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »
I know Malzahn will be offered a HC job soon...several maybe.  I don't think he's ready, but that's not my call, he's going to be offered them.  I hope, for his sake, that he's smart enough not to take a job like Vandy that would be career suicide to a guy that has so little D1 experience to fall back on after he can't win there...and he can't.  He makes a mistake like that, and he could find himself back in the HS ranks after it's determined that his offense is indeed a "gimmicky HS offense" because it doesn't work for him at Vandy with Vandy players. .
I tend to agree. I don't doubt his abilities, I just look at Cutcliffe at Duke where being a doormat of sorts is not the same as the bottom of the SEC. The right job will come up though like everyone here, I hope he hangs around. He can get all of the input he needs by Ted Roof in a situation like I described above. Just sayin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »
The Commodores will be looking for a new coach for the first time since the end of the 2001 season, and it will be the first time Williams has conducted a major coaching search since Vanderbilt eliminated its athletic department.

THAT is why no decent coach would EVER take that job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 06:57:46 PM »

Doesn't Clay Travis write for the Bleacher Report?

No...wait...that would be giving him too much credibility.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
If Gus were to take the Vandy job, it would be a stepping stone. All he has to do is show some sort of improvement to a traditionally bottom dwelling team and await a better offer. He ain't gonna take the Vandy job with aspirations of retiring there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
If Gus were to take the Vandy job, it would be a stepping stone. All he has to do is show some sort of improvement to a traditionally bottom dwelling team and await a better offer. He ain't gonna take the Vandy job with aspirations of retiring there.

The chances of losing are far greater than the chances of going to a bowl game, which would be the only thing positive that anyone would notice.  Nobody gives a shit if you improve from 2 to 4 or even 5 wins.   He'd be better off to take a job like a La Tech, or or some directional school, where you aren't competing against greater talent every week...where, if you can coach, recruit AND run a program, you can show it.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
The chances of losing are far greater than the chances of going to a bowl game, which would be the only thing positive that anyone would notice.  Nobody gives a shit if you improve from 2 to 4 or even 5 wins.   He'd be better off to take a job like a La Tech, or or some directional school, where you aren't competing against greater talent every week...where, if you can coach, recruit AND run a program, you can show it.
If you're skeered, man up and say you're skeered.
Million dollar + raise. SEC head coach on my resume. Where's your downside of this option?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 09:04:22 PM »
Million dollar + raise. SEC head coach on my resume. Where's your downside of this option?
Congratulations to you on the Hog victory.
But you've been talking up Malzahn for a head coaching job since he arrived. He is too smart to take a dead end like Vandy. I think the guy could get a west coast, Texas, or Florida job with patience. That would suit the main element right away with his reputation for high octane offense. Helps when attracting a staff too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 09:08:42 PM »

blah, blah, blah.  What are you?  13 years old?  I'd like to think you can't really be that stupid.  I'd LIKE to think that.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
Yeah I think everyone, that heard Caldwell speak at the SEC Media days, could see that this was definitely not a good fit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »

Auburn would most certainly up the anty, so there would be no raise.

The downside of this option would be 1-11, 3-9, 1-11.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 11:19:48 PM »
CNS to Vandy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 11:27:37 PM »
CNS to Vandy.

HDN to Vandy....Ole Miss to hire CNS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions