Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Who Wants To Bet Against Chizik Now?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Who Wants To Bet Against Chizik Now?
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/10/scarbinsky_who_wants_to_bet_ag.html

Scarbinsky: Who wants to bet against Chizik now?
Published: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 5:30 AM
Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News

First things first. The No. 1 college football upset of 2010 is Auburn moving to No. 1 in the BCS. Nothing else even comes close.

Auburn had never been No. 1 in the BCS. Auburn hadn't been No. 1 in a legitimate poll since the third game of the 1985 season. For historical reference - and eerie coincidence - that was Bo Jackson's Heisman year.

Auburn has started just five games as a No. 1 team in the AP poll, the granddaddy of 'em all, which elevates Ole Miss from trap game to one of the most important outings in school history.

You win as No. 1, especially in the BCS, and barring a flood, locusts or some other biblical event, you stay No. 1. You know what that means?

Auburn can see its way clear to the crystal football.

This would be a significant development if it were authored by Shug Jordan or Pat Dye, the other Auburn coaches who've guided the Tigers to the top of the nation at one time or another.

Those guys are legends. Jordan has his name on the stadium, and Dye's is on the field.

That it happened with Chizik as the pilot, and so quickly, has to be the greatest example of a head coach proving his critics wrong in this state's rich football history.

All the award talk at Auburn this season has centered on the players. Cam Newton for Heisman. Nick Fairley for the Outland and Lombardi.

The humble Chizik likes it that way, but don't leave him out of the discussion. Is there a stronger candidate at the moment for national coach of the year?

I can answer that. No, there isn't.

Chizik isn't just winning games and influencing people to change their misguided perception of him. He's making history.

There have been a lot of college football coaches in this state, but since 1936, when the AP poll started, only five of them had led their teams to a No. 1 ranking by either the AP or BCS or both. Besides Jordan and Dye at Auburn, Alabama's Paul Bryant, Gene Stallings and Nick Saban did it, too.

Fun facts. Stallings never coached a game with Alabama as the No. 1 team. He got there after beating Miami in the 1993 Sugar Bowl. Saban's put the Tide on top for three straight years. That matches Bryant's record from 1978-80 for consistency in performance.

But none of them did it the first time as fast as Chizik. You can look it up. Here's the list of those No. 1 coaches and how many games it took them to get there.

Jordan: 72.

Stallings: 37.

Dye: 35.

Bryant: 32.

Saban: 22.

Chizik: 21.

Anytime the category is winning and you one-up Saban, you've done something.

Chizik still has to beat Saban head-to-head. Chizik has yet to coach a No. 1 team to a single victory with that target on its back. The coach who hurdled low expectations with the ease of SuperCam leaping the stadium fence in a single bound now has to handle great expectations.

Living up to the hype isn't exactly an Auburn tradition, but this team, like this coach, may be different.

Fairley, the best player on defense, had to put in time at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Miss. Newton, the best player in college football, got a taste of the big time at Florida and then spent a year in exile at Blinn College in Brenham, Texas.

Chizik himself did two years of hard labor in Ames, Iowa. So it's hard to imagine this coach or these players getting too big for their khakis at 8-0.

For Chizik, every step along the way has been an upset to the outside world, from getting the job in the first place to getting the job done in a big way.

The only thing left to do is finish the job.

Who wants to bet against him now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Who Wants To Bet Against Chizik Now?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
Fairley, the best player on defense, had to put in time at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Miss. Newton, the best player in college football, got a taste of the big time at Florida and then spent a year in exile at Blinn College in Brenham, Texas.

Chizik himself did two years of hard labor in Ames, Iowa. So it's hard to imagine this coach or these players getting too big for their khakis at 8-0.

Hadn't thought about that aspect, but hopefully it will ring true and they can stay grounded through all of this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
Hadn't thought about that aspect, but hopefully it will ring true and they can stay grounded through all of this.
That was the part I found particularly interesting myself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
How many games did it take Tuberville to get t......wait what? Shut the Fuck up....kidding right?

I would now like to close the case on whether a change was needed or not after 2008. Done...end of story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »
I think this fits in well here.
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/THE-TRANSFORMATION-OF-AUBURN-FOOTBALL-4038
AUBURN – The transformation began in Gene Chizik’s first week  on the job as Auburn’s head football coach.

In December 2008, after being introduced as the face of Auburn’s football  program, Chizik wasted no time going to work. He and Phillip Lolley, who now  coaches Auburn’s cornerbacks, spent most of that first week flying around the  Southeast and beyond in the school plane.

Chizik visited recruits. He called potential assistants. The building of  a program had begun.

Lolley had coached cornerbacks for Chizik when Chizik was defensive  coordinator in 2002-2004. They share mutual passion for their game and mutual  respect.

“He and I got on the plane together, and I don’t know if we got off the  thing that first week,” Lolley says. “He said ‘I’m going to  assemble the best staff in the country.’ He said ‘We’re going to  outwork everybody. Other people talk about it, but we’re going to do  it.’” 

As far as Lolley is concerned, Chizik has been true to his word.

Chizik inherited a reeling football team and dispirited fan base. Picked  to win the Southeastern Conference West, the Tigers had gone 5-7. Their six-game  winning streak over Alabama had died in a humiliating 36-0 loss at Bryant-Denny  Stadium. Tommy Tuberville had resigned after 10 seasons as head coach.

The hiring of Chizik, who had gone 5-19 in two seasons at Iowa State, had  been widely criticized. But Lolley had worked with him closely for three years.  He knew better.

“He told me, ‘Phillip, I promise you we’re going to get it  done,’” Lolley says. “I didn’t doubt that. I knew what kind of coach  he was, what kind of person he was, how hard he worked.” 

Just more than 22 months later, Auburn is 8-0, 5-0 in the SEC, No. 3 in  the polls and No. 1 in the BCS standings that decide who plays for the national  championship. It’s been a dizzying ride.

In those early days, Chizik focused on holding together a recruiting  class and hiring a staff. He had a plan for Auburn football, a plan that had  impressed athletics director Jay Jacobs and the Auburn search committee looking  for a replacement for Tuberville.

Graduate assistant Travis Williams knows what greatness looks like. He  was an All-SEC linebacker on Auburn’s unbeaten 2004 team. When he finished  playing with the Atlanta Falcons, Chizik called him home. What he found was very  different than what he left, but things began to change.

“It was Coach Chizik and the coaching staff,” Williams  says. “When he got here, he really wanted the kids to know the Auburn  tradition. He’s brought former players back, NFL players back and things like  that. A lot of the kids didn’t know the Auburn tradition. He did a great job of  letting them know the foundation of what was built years and years ago. He’s  done a great job of embracing former players and bringing them  back.” 

On the field, Chizik’s first Auburn team went 8-5. Then came a recruiting  turnaround of epic proportions, a consensus top five class that included  quarterback Cam Newton, now leading Auburn's football team and the Heisman  Trophy race. And Chizik's second football team has answered every challenge. For  Lolley, it’s been a refreshing change from the contentious final days of the  Tuberville regime, when he was director of NFL relations.

“It’s just consistency in everything you do,” Lolley  says. “Everybody comes to work. Everybody totes a lunch pail. It doesn’t  matter how long we are here. No coach worries about that. They are spending all  their extra time watching film, recruiting, whatever. We just all want to win.

“The players are doing the same thing. I think a lot of that comes from  losing that year. A lot of those kids didn’t like that feeling. They are still  fighting to get there. They know we’re not there yet.” 

It all starts, Lolley says, with Chizik.

“He’s relentless,” Lolley says. “He’s a relentless recruiter,  and I mean relentless. Every coach on this staff works hard at recruiting.  There’s not one coach on this staff that’s not hungry. Not hungry for notoriety.  Hungry for victory. They all want to win, want Auburn to win. We’re not  satisfied at any point. Nobody is.” 

Chizik wanted his players to understand that playing football at Auburn  would be hard, but the reward could be great. He wanted them to know each other  as something more than teammates on the field.

Senior linebacker Craig Stevens saw the change almost immediately.

“I just think it’s the togetherness as a team,” Stevens  says. “That year, once we lost that one game, it started to go downhill  from there. You started to lose a little faith. That’s what it fell like, like  the team wasn’t that close. Now, whether we are up or whether we are down, we  always feel like we can come back.” 

Chizik had the locker rooms upgraded, added video games, pools tables,  Ping-Pong tables and other amenities. There were offseason outings to the water  park, to go bowling, to movies.

“We spend a lot of time outside of football together,” Stevens  says. “I feel like those types of events they have brings the team closer.  It allows us to get to know each other a little better, not just out there on  the football field but know each other man-to-man.” 

Williams says it’s all about Chizik’s vision of what Auburn football  should look like from the inside.

“We say ‘family, family, family,’” Williams says. “It’s  really true here. He wants the kids to stay around here. We’ve got the video  games, pool tables and everything. They can watch film all day and study. They  can go upstairs and see their coaches. He’s really created a comfortable  atmosphere.” 

Leaving Bryant-Denny Stadium on Nov. 29, 2008, Lolley didn’t know what  the future held for Auburn football, but he it was at a crossroads.

“Last season, to me, was a remarkable season, how far this team came in a  year,” Lolley says. “The players started having fun again. Even though  we didn’t have the depth most folks had, the kids were playing hard. That’s what  they expect here at Auburn. I’ve been here long enough to know that.

“Our fans can accept a lot of things. One thing they won’t accept is not  playing hard. That’s the way it should be. If you get beat and you’ve given  everything you got, you can live with that. That’s an old cliché, but it’s the  truth.” 

Williams recognizes the obvious. For all its success, this Auburn team  doesn’t have the depth and talent across the board his Auburn teams had. But  that doesn’t mean, he says, it can’t accomplish as much and more.

“Our 2003 team was way more talented than our 2004 team,” Williams  says, “but 2004 was a better team.” 

The day is coming soon, Williams says, when all the pieces are in place  again.

“We are on pace to really, really do some great things,” Williams  says. “The coaches recruit so hard. They recruit guys that fit what they  are looking for – great guys in the community, guys that have grades,  guys that love football. At the end of the day, you need guys that love  football.” 

Williams was a key part in what some would say was the greatest season in  Auburn history, but his team was never No. 1 – not in the polls, not  in the BCS standings. This team got there last Sunday after beating LSU 24-17 a  day earlier.

“Nah, it doesn’t make me jealous,” Williams says. “As long as  it’s Auburn, that’s what matters.” 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions