• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
'They got exposed,' Ole Miss player says of 'almighty Alabama'
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:28:29 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/10/they_got_exposed_ole_miss_play.html

'They got exposed,' Ole Miss player says of 'almighty Alabama'
Published: Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 5:57 AM
  Don Kausler Jr., Tuscaloosa Bureau

OXFORD, Miss. -- Now that Alabama has lost a game, it seems to have lost a little mystique.

An Ole Miss team that has lost to Jacksonville State and Vanderbilt wants to pick up where the South Carolina Gamecocks left off Saturday in a 35-21 victory over the top-ranked Crimson Tide (5-1, 2-1 in the SEC).

"I think they got exposed," Ole Miss senior defensive lineman Jerrell Powe said Monday. "They showed they're just a one-dimensional team. They run the ball really well. I think South Carolina did a good job of stopping the run, and they really couldn't get anything going after they got stopped."

Junior running back Brandon Bolden previously had seen a sign of weakness in Alabama.

"It all started with Arkansas," he said of the Tide's 24-20 come-from-behind victory on Sept. 25. "Alabama, of course, came back at the end, but Arkansas started with that blueprint. We could see South Carolina follow it."

So now the Rebels (3-2, 1-1) have a blueprint to follow?

"Definitely. Most definitely," Powe said. "We definitely know they're going to try to run the ball on us, but that's what we like."

Never mind that Ole Miss ranks last in the SEC in scoring defense (32.6 points per game) or 10th in total defense (362.2 yards per game). South Carolina ranks 11th in the SEC in total defense (365.0).

There's hope for the Rebels, who can't decide if this is the best time or the worst time to have to play Alabama.

"I guess it's perfect timing," Powe said. "If we can go out and be the second team to beat them, it would be just as sweet as being the first team to beat them. They're almighty Alabama."

Knowing what to expect is one thing. Expecting success is something else.

"We know there's a Heisman Trophy guy back there, No. 22. We know that No. 3 is not far behind him," Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt said, referring to Alabama running backs Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson, respectively.

"We fully expect the ball to be in the hands of those guys. But they have good receivers, too. They've got real weapons. You've got to be careful when you start to overpopulate that line of scrimmage."

South Carolina held Ingram to 41 yards rushing on 11 carries. Richardson ran only six times -- all in the first half -- for 23 yards.

The Gamecocks also scored 35 points on a defense that had allowed only 45 points in five previous games combined. Much of the damage was done by Alshon Jeffery, a 6-foot-4, 230-pound sophomore wide receiver who caught seven passes for 127 yards and two touchdowns.

Ole Miss has a 6-7, 205-pound sophomore receiver who took notes.

"I feel I can go out and do the same thing," Melvin Harris said.

Harris has been counting the days and now the hours to the 8 p.m. kickoff at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

"This is one game I've been talking about all year," he said. "During camp, I was visualizing the defense being Alabama. I can't wait."

He was asked why he was so focused on this one game.

"Because they were the No. 1 team," Harris said. "Ever since I've been here, I've been compared to (Alabama wide receiver) Julio Jones. I just want to go out and show what I can do against a great defense."

Alabama now is ranked No. 8. Has the mystique been shattered?

"They're human," Bolden said. "They put their pants on just like we do. They were just on a roll, a very good roll. They just fell."

Related topics: Alabama Crimson Tide, Alabama football, Ole Miss Rebels
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: 'They got exposed,' Ole Miss player says of 'almighty Alabama'
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »
Not much weaker sauce than Ole Miss players or fans talking smack.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
No need to watch this game. We are looking at loss number two. Alabama sucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:36:25 AM »
Not much weaker sauce than Ole Miss players or fans talking smack.

Vanderbilt is a close second but only by a little.  They only get to talk smack to the fighting Ackbars.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »
Vanderbilt is a close second but only by a little.  They only get to talk smack to the fighting Ackbars.

I don't know there's a certain je ne sais quoi to a smart, non-athletic bunch talking smack.  For Ole Miss to do it, after losing to an FCS team just a few weeks ago...well, that's, that's weak sauce. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »
You see...it is all about the blueprint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:37:55 AM »
You see...it is all about the blueprint.

Kaos hates you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »
Kaos hates you.

He has a hat.  Now, where's those damn cattle?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:06:51 PM »
Jerrell Powe can't read.  /End of shit talking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 06:55:32 PM »
He has a hat.  Now, where's those damn cattle?
Make sure the helmets are lined up straight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
Jerrell Powe can't read.  /End of shit talking.
LMFAO
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 10:02:15 PM »
What's funny, is that these guys act as if SC cracked some kind of code or something. Like SC figured something out that NONE of college football knew. They didn't do shit that any other team hasn't done against us. I mean, what exactly did SC "expose"? Not shit. They simply did what pretty much everybody else does against Alabama, only better. Ole Miss should hope they get the "we're just going to mail the rest of the season in" version of Alabama this weekend. I mean, that's alot of shit talk for a team that lost to Jax St and Vandy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 08:34:07 AM »
Drink more Ovaltine!

A crummy commercial?  Son of a bitch!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »
Lord Saban has been xposed.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:32:16 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »

Fuck me runnin'
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 12:45:09 PM »

Collette Connell, That was an especially nice touch, Clarice.
              - Yours?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 12:55:01 PM »
Mine. 

Not great but was bored this morning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »

I especially like the touch of the Saban/bammer stalker girl.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions