Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts on the Fire Dept Debate

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
Thoughts on the Fire Dept Debate
« on: October 06, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
I thought it might be interesting to get everyone's thoughts on this issue.  Personally I land on the side of the fire dept.  Dude did not pay his fees and thus gets no service.

VOTE AND COMMENT: IS BURNING HOME SIGN OF ‘TEA PARTY’ AMERICA?
Posted on October 5, 2010 at 2:46pm by      Jonathon M. Seidl Print »Email »

News of a home burning down in rural Obion County, Tennessee because the neighboring fire department refused assistance to the owners who hadn’t paid the $75 fee for the coverage, has spread like, well, wildfire.

The incident has caused a raging debate, and has even left one talking head warning this is an example of “Tea Party” America. (See the original story and video from the scene.)

So is this an apocalyptic glimpse into the future? Is it right? Is it wrong? Is it an example of ballooning budgets and taxes that can’t provide emergency services?

Let’s take a look, and then you‘ll get a chance to let us know what you think using The Blaze’s new voting feature.

Last week, Gene Cranick’s house caught on fire. He called 911 and asked for help, but firefighters from the neighboring town of South Fulton said they could not put it out because the Cranicks had not paid the $75 required fee for such service. When fire fighters did arrive, they still would not stop the blaze, but did step in to some degree when the fire began spreading to a neighboring house that had paid for the protection.

“Oy, this is bad for libertarians,” wrote Danial Foster on National Review’s blog “The Corner.” He added:

I have no problem with this kind of opt-in government in principle — especially in rural areas where individual need for government services and available infrastructure vary so widely. But forget the politics: what moral theory allows these firefighters (admittedly acting under orders) to watch this house burn to the ground when 1) they have already responded to the scene; 2) they have the means to stop it ready at hand; 3) they have a reasonable expectation to be compensated for their trouble?

And then answers his own question:

The counterargument is, of course, that this kind of system only works if there are consequences for opting out. For the firefighters to have put out the blaze would have opened up a big moral hazard and generated a bunch of future free-riding — a lot like how the ban on denying coverage based on preexisting conditions, paired with penalties under the individual mandate that are lower than the going premiums, would lead to folks waiting until they got sick to buy insurance.
Remember the insurance analogy — we’ll come back to it.

Foster’s post started quite the debate at National Review headquarters. His colleagues weighed in.

Kevin Williamson gave a little more background on South Fulton’s policy and argued that the $75 fee is actually an example of expanded service:

Dan, you are 100 percent wrong.
The situation is this: The city of South Fulton’s fire department, until a few years ago, would not respond to any fires outside of the city limits — which is to say, the city limited its jurisdiction to the city itself, and to city taxpayers. A reasonable position. Then, a few years ago, a fire broke out in a rural area that was not covered by the city fire department, and the city authorities felt bad about not being able to do anything to help. So they began to offer an opt-in service, for the very reasonable price of $75 a year. Which is to say: They greatly expanded the range of services they offer. The rural homeowners were, collectively, better off, rather than worse off. Before the opt-in program, they had no access to a fire department. Now they do.
NR’s Jonah Goldberg then advocated for a middle ground, and suggested that this may save more houses in the long run:

Why isn’t there a happy middle ground? You can pay 75 bucks upfront or, if you wait until your house is on fire, it will cost you, I dunno, $10,000? Lots of things work like this.
Here’s the more important part of the story, letting the house burn — while, I admit sad — will probably save more houses over the long haul. I know that if I opted out of the program before, I would be more likely to opt-in now.
Finally, NR’s John Derbishyre said the issue boils down to being “crunchy” or “soggy”:

I am entirely with the South Fulton fire department here. In the terms of Nico Colchester’s great 1996 essay, they are being crunchy rather than soggy:
“Crunchy systems are those in which small changes have big effects leaving those affected by them in no doubt whether they are up or down, rich or broke, winning or losing, dead or alive. . . . Sogginess is comfortable uncertainty. . . . The richer a society becomes, the soggier its systems get. Light-switches no longer turn on or off: they dim.”
One of the duties of conservatives in this soggy fallen world is to stand up for crunchiness. For the fire department to have extinguished the Cranicks’ fire would have been soggy, even aside from the considerable degree of sogginess it would have left on the property.
But “crunchy” wouldn’t do for Keith Olbermann — it’s just too hard. When he got a hold of the story, he used it to warn the country that the incident is an example of Tea Party America:

Blogger Paul Hogarth agrees: “This story brings to light the horrific consequences of what would happen if we let basic government decisions be made by right-wing ideologues.”

Joshua Holland at AlterNet puts it another way: “Call it Ayn Rand’s stark, anti-governmental dream come true.”

The Guardian‘s Michael Tomasky won’t go that far — but almost: “I won’t quite go the full nine yards of saying that this is what life would be like in tea party America. Not quite. But I’ll go 4.5 yards for sure. Remember, this country (like pretty much all countries) used to have private fire departments. They didn’t work well.”

That brings us back to the insurance analogy. The Atlanta-Journal Constitution‘s John Bookman agrees that the fire department’s action seem a little “callous.” To him, however, it’s not so much a picture of Tea Party America as it is of Obamacare America:

The situation is in many ways analogous to the health care debate, where folks skate without insurance until something goes wrong and they show up in an emergency room, where the law says they have to be treated.
Do we instead do what the South Fulton fire chief did, refusing available treatment to fellow human beings even in life-threatening situations, because they gambled and didn’t buy insurance?
Bookman eventually answers the question in the negative, suggesting an individual mandate for fire protection. That way, there can be no losers.

Mandate or not, Glenn Beck argues that one cannot base his conclusions on feelings alone. The reality is that if people are not willing to pay, but expect the fire department to fight their fires anyway, there eventually would be no fire department at all. “If [fire departments] did that, would anyone pay their $75 dollars?” If the fire department makes one exception here, then another, and yet another, where will the money come from?

So now it’s your turn. You’ve heard and read what others are saying, but what do you think? Besides commenting, there’s another way you can let us know. We’re using this story to introduce a new feature on The Blaze: voting.

Below is box that allows you to contribute to a poll. Simply click the circle that best describes your thoughts. After voting, add your comments explaining why.

Were the firefighters right to let the home burn?
Yes -- they were right to let the home burn
No -- they should have tried to save the home
Vote
View ResultsShare This
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Thoughts on the Fire Dept Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:36:55 PM »
I didn't read the entire article.

But I think the fire department should definitely have a stipulation that if you don't pay, you will be billed an exorbitant fee for their service.  Then, it will go to collections just like any other business.

What if a person died in the house?

Think of it this way.  The fire department said that not paying $75 warranted allowing their house burn down.  Therefore, the fire department thinks that a person's security and pretty much, their life is worth $75. 

Who looks more ridiculous in this situation?  I say the fire department.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Token

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:06:52 PM »
Fuck these cocksuckers.  If I lived in that area and worked in the same capacity that I do now, they would fucking HATE me.  So would their wives and any other family members who sat behind the wheel of a car.  Put all the money (or lack thereof) bullshit aside and let's look at this the way it should be viewed. 

First Responders live by a code.  It's not some fancy code written by a noble man in 1850.  It's not even a paragraph or a sentence that must be stated while holding a hand on the bible.  We're not talking about an Oath here, although I'm certain these cocksuckers did swear to an Oath at some point.   No, I'm talking about the code of humanity.  It's the code of helping others in time of need.  To not respond because of jurisdiction is one thing.  But to respond and watch these people lose their home and have their lives ruined while having the capability to help? That's the lowest form of disgrace possible. 

I suppose if a member of their family was being robbed and a police officer from another agency just walked by because it wasn't his citizen, they'd demand to have someone fired. 

Those sorry motherfuckers will get theirs before long.  They don't deserve the responsibility of being paid to help others.  You don't pull shit like that and continue on with life as though nothing happened.  It may be on a cold plate, but it will damn well be served.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/tennessee-familys-home-burns-ground-firefighters-stand-watch/story?id=11806407&page=1

Firefighters aren't afraid to break down windows and doors to douse flames, but a Tennessee family's failure to pay a $75 fee stopped firefighters dead in their tracks last week as a home burned to the ground.

South Fulton, Tenn., firefighters stood on the sidelines, watching as flames engulfed Gene Cranick's Obion County home. They refused to help because Cranick had not paid an annual "pay to spray" subscription fee.

"I just forgot to pay my $75," homeowner Gene Cranick said. "I did it last year, the year before. ... It slipped my mind."

Watch "World News with Diane Sawyer" for more on this story tonight on ABC.

The city of South Fulton charges that $75 fire protection fee to rural residents who live outside the city limits. When a household has not paid the fee, firefighters are required by law to not respond.

"We have to follow the rules and the ordinances set forth to us, and that's exactly what we do," said Jeff Vowell, South Fulton city manager.

In fact, in Cranick's case, officials said that fire trucks didn't even show up until a neighbor who did pay the subscription fee called 911 to protect his home from the growing fire.

It's infuriating to Cranick, who is now left to clean up the charred remains of decades' worth of family heirlooms and other belongings.

"My neighbor called [the fire department], saying whatever it takes, we want them to put it out, we'll pay $500," said Cranick. "They told us, 'It's too late.'"

Pay to Spray' Fees Common in Rural Areas

South Fulton has had the "pay to spray" policy in place for more than 20 years, and the fees -- which often cover police services, too -- are fairly common in rural areas. Without implementing complex tax arrangements to cover cash-strapped city budgets, there are simply few other options.

"If the city starts fighting fires in the homes of people outside the city who don't pay, why would anyone pay?" said Jacqueline Byers with the National Association of Counties.

Still, it was small comfort to the Cranick family. Gene Cranick's son, Tim Cranick, was reportedly so upset by the fire department's actions that he went to the station and assaulted the fire chief. The younger Cranick was arrested and released on $5,000 bond, charged with aggravated assault.

"I don't know that there is a good situation when things like this happen," said Vowell. "It's regrettable. Tough for everyone involved."

I would be ashamed if I were a citizen of that city.  Absolutely ashamed.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:21:07 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 06:54:53 AM »
Fuck these cocksuckers.  If I lived in that area and worked in the same capacity that I do now, they would fucking HATE me.  So would their wives and any other family members who sat behind the wheel of a car.  Put all the money (or lack thereof) bullshit aside and let's look at this the way it should be viewed. 

First Responders live by a code.  It's not some fancy code written by a noble man in 1850.  It's not even a paragraph or a sentence that must be stated while holding a hand on the bible.  We're not talking about an Oath here, although I'm certain these cocksuckers did swear to an Oath at some point.   No, I'm talking about the code of humanity.  It's the code of helping others in time of need.  To not respond because of jurisdiction is one thing.  But to respond and watch these people lose their home and have their lives ruined while having the capability to help? That's the lowest form of disgrace possible. 

I suppose if a member of their family was being robbed and a police officer from another agency just walked by because it wasn't his citizen, they'd demand to have someone fired. 

Those sorry motherfuckers will get theirs before long.  They don't deserve the responsibility of being paid to help others.  You don't pull shit like that and continue on with life as though nothing happened.  It may be on a cold plate, but it will damn well be served.

Agreed on all parts. 
This amounts to nothing more than protection money. 
There are plenty of things in this world that are legal to do that are not the right thing to do.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »
I can tell what would happen next if that was my house. The first responders would be at the chiefs house that made the order to not act. I would beat the dog shit out of that man and burn his f'n house down. I hope doesn't owe any gambling debts to his buddies because the way this town acts, his fucked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
What Token said.  I read the article the other day and my jaw dropped. Yeah, I would have just started swinging right then and there. 

Bill the guy for it later, big charge and go through all means to collect.  But to watch his house burn?  Fuck em'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
Just to play devil's advocate...

Like the author said - where do you draw the line?  The man knew that he had to pay or he would not get service.  He had paid it in the past.  We routinely slam people on this board for getting off easy, for not reaping what they have sown, for not having to face the consequences of their actions.  Is this not the same thing?

You drink and your liver fails.  Should you get the organ transplant instead of the 18 year old honor student?

If I don't pay my homeowner's insurance, and my house burns down, I can't expect State Farm to let me retroactively pay that premium I chose not to pay.  I think folks are letting the whole $75 thing get in the way - what if it had been $10K?  The amount of money should not be an issue. 

Token, I disagree with your analogy, since laws are there to protect everyone, and a policeman enforces the laws of his jurisdiction for everyone present in that jurisdiction.  This fire fighting service is an OPTION that was generously extended at a reasonable cost to people who otherwise would not have had access at all.  In this case, the family chose not to avail themselves of the service, with tragic consequences.

People make choices - and some of them have horrible consequences.  That's life.  I understand their anger but - actions have consequences.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:27:16 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
What Token said.  I read the article the other day and my jaw dropped. Yeah, I would have just started swinging right then and there. 

Bill the guy for it later, big charge and go through all means to collect.  But to watch his house burn?  Fuck em'.

If you bill the guy later, but still respond to the call,why would anyone ever pay their fee up front?  As far as the "what if someone was in the house" argument, the 911 call stated that there was no one in the house and the fire department stated that if there was indeed someone in danger they would have responded.

If the county residents are so concerned about pay to spray, why have they not started their own fire department?  probably because it was just easier and probably cheaper to pay the $75/year for service.

It's kind of the same mentality of the pre-existing condition argument.  If you can't be denied insurance due to pre-existing conditions, why would you ever pay for it until you actually needed it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
You would pay the $75.00 fee up front to avoid the $1,500.00 fee after the fact.  Or whatever fee is agreed to. You set it up as a contractual agreement.  You pay your $75.00, we respond.  You forget to pay your fee, we still respond but you now owe us $1,500.00 as agreed by contract...and we will sue you for it. 

Simple.  Not responding because they said there was no one in the home is utter bullshit. Fires don't spread to other homes, to other property?  Could someone be killed trying to contain the fire?  Could it spread to a propane tank and blow up the fucking neighborhood?

Well, it's all Carnick's fault because he forgot to pay his $75.00 fee.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »
You would pay the $75.00 fee up front to avoid the $1,500.00 fee after the fact.  Or whatever fee is agreed to. You set it up as a contractual agreement.  You pay your $75.00, we respond.  You forget to pay your fee, we still respond but you now owe us $1,500.00 as agreed by contract...and we will sue you for it. 

Simple.  Not responding because they said there was no one in the home is utter bullshit. Fires don't spread to other homes, to other property?  Could someone be killed trying to contain the fire?  Could it spread to a propane tank and blow up the fucking neighborhood?

Well, it's all Carnick's fault because he forgot to pay his $75.00 fee.

That solution is fine for the future if that is the direction they want to go.  However that is not the way it has worked for 20 years in this area.  If this sparks a change, fine.   As it stands now, the "contract" they have witht he city states that if you don't pay you get no service.  It is known up front that this is the consequence.  What if you sue the guy and he still doesn't pay? 

These people choose to live an area that is not covered by a fire department of their own.  They have 4 choices:

1.  Pay a measly $75 a year for fire service
2.  Move to the juristiction of the city fire department
3.  Play Russian roulette with their property
4.  Start up and pay for their own fricking fire department
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:41:42 PM by AUTailgatingRules »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 12:50:16 PM »
That solution is fine for the future if that is the direction they want to go.  However that is not the way it has worked for 20 years in this area.  If this sparks a change, fine.   As it stands now, the "contract" they have witht he city states that if you don't pay you get no service.  It is known up front that this is the consequence.  What if you sue the guy and he still doesn't pay? 

These people choose to live an area that is not covered by a fire department of their own.  They have 4 choices:

1.  Pay a measly $75 a year for fire service
2.  Move to the juristiction of the city fire department
3.  Play Russian roulette with their property
4.  Start up and pay for their own fricking fire department

This.

Call me cold or heartless if you must, but they didn't pay, so no service.  The only thing I fault the Fire Dept for is responding in the first place.  Should have got the call and said, sorry, but you don't have coverage.

I live in an area where we have a volunteer fire dept.  A shitty one at that. They had a fire less than a mile from the dept two months ago an the house burned to the ground. Literally to the ground.  I have met several of them and they dream of being real fire fighters.  About the only thing they are capable of is spraying a little water and keeping it under control.  They more than likely won't be able to salvage anything.  One of the cons of living out in the county.  That is why I pay insurance and why they took that into account when my policy was drawn up. 

Let their insurance policy cover the damages and pay to have their home rebuilt.  Sentimental items that were lost are just that, items.  At least they will have a roof over their head once the insurance kicks in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
The fire department did not respond until the neighbor called.  To not respond at all because this guy forgot to pay his $75.00 is luda-chris.  A house fire is a major catastrophe and has the potential to do untold damage to other houses, property and life.  Where was the gas line disaster a couple of weeks ago that blew up most of a neighborhood and killed a bunch of folks?  Did the firemen know there was no danger of this or some other hazard?  Hell no, they didn't respond. (Not until a good paying customer called when his house was threatened)  Were they sure the wind couldn't blow burning debris to an adjacent field and start burning other property?  Would they respond if that blowing debris started a California style wildfire?

Naaa...it's just someone's house burning down.  Dude forgot to pay his $75.00 so fuck him.  We'll wait until a paying customer calls or the fire spreads to something else. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »
The fire department did not respond until the neighbor called.  To not respond at all because this guy forgot to pay his $75.00 is luda-chris.  A house fire is a major catastrophe and has the potential to do untold damage to other houses, property and life.  Where was the gas line disaster a couple of weeks ago that blew up most of a neighborhood and killed a bunch of folks?  Did the firemen know there was no danger of this or some other hazard?  Hell no, they didn't respond. (Not until a good paying customer called when his house was threatened)  Were they sure the wind couldn't blow burning debris to an adjacent field and start burning other property?  Would they respond if that blowing debris started a California style wildfire?

Naaa...it's just someone's house burning down.  Dude forgot to pay his $75.00 so fuck him.  We'll wait until a paying customer calls or the fire spreads to something else.

Snaggle,

Let's say you forgot to pay your car insurance for a year and had a major accident totalling your $50,000 car.  Do you expect the insurance company to pay for your repairs?  Let's say you payed insurance for the previous 20 years and just "forgot" it this year, does that make a difference?

What if they responded to this non paying residents fire out in the county and another fire breaks out 10 miles away at a paying customers house?  Do they leave the scene and take care of the paying customer?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »
Not the same at all.  The fact that this was put in the political forum and the reasoning used in some of the arguments smacks of trying to put this in the category of the sorry, irresponsible individual looking for a handout.  I wasn't responsible for my own actions but who cares?  I'm entitled.  You should take care of me anyway.  Sound familiar?  That's not what we're talking about here, though.

I don't know a thing about Mr. Carnick except that his house burned down and he says he's paid his dues before but forgot to pay them this time. He may in fact be a sorry, low down, scumbag....god forbid and even worse...liberal.  The analogy to paying an insurance claim doesn't fit because that's AFTER the fact.  This is an EMERGENCY situation that no one seems to be grasping the potential enormity of.  A house fire is not a bonfire with people sitting around with marshmallows.  It's bad, bad shit and can cause untold collateral damage. I speak from experience after 15 years of claims handling including numerous total fire losses.  I've seen a home go up in flames and subsequently spread to other homes and property. I've seen shit blow up and people get hurt.

This fire department knew a home was on fire and did nothing until a paying customer called.  They were content to let whatever happens, happen.  Another what if.....what if said neighbor wasn't home at the time and it did spread to his house.  Think he'd be real happy with his fire department right now?  In no way am I saying Mr. Carnick wasn't irresponsible.  I'm not saying he deserves a handout or even sympathy for that matter.  I'm saying the truly irresponsible parties in this matter were the fire department personnel who ignored what is always a potentially dangerous and catastrophic situation.  Until a guy who paid his $75.00 clams called.       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »
I think the FD should have responded, but forwarded the total bill to Mr. Carnick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »
I think the FD should have responded, but forwarded the total bill to Mr. Carnick.

You could have saved me a lot of typing.  Jump in there any time, dipwad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »
Even if he is not a deadbeat with an entitlement mentality, if the Fire department responds to a non paying resident it sets a precedent that they will have to respond to all deadbeat, entitlement folks.

Unfortunately in this case actions have consequences.  Like it or not if you don't make people deal with the consequences of their actions, their actions will never change.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
Even if he is not a deadbeat with an entitlement mentality, if the Fire department responds to a non paying resident it sets a precedent that they will have to respond to all deadbeat, entitlement folks.

Unfortunately in this case actions have consequences.  Like it or not if you don't make people deal with the consequences of their actions, their actions will never change.

That's the point of the above post from Jarhead.  The man should pay.  He should pay big time.  I don't see it setting a precedent if residents know they can pay $75.00 now or get a bill and/or collections suit for $1,500.00 and legal fees after the FD responded to whatever the emergency was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »
That's the point of the above post from Jarhead.  The man should pay.  He should pay big time.  I don't see it setting a precedent if residents know they can pay $75.00 now or get a bill and/or collections suit for $1,500.00 and legal fees after the FD responded to whatever the emergency was.

Like I said earlier, that's cool if thats the deal they want to make with the county going forward.  However in this case they had to play by the current rules and in that the fire department did nothing wrong.  As per the current agreement the only one at fault here is the owner of the house that did not pay his fire fee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions