Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nice summation of our defense and its recipe for success relative to last year.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2010/10

* Where Does This Year’s Team Stand Relative to Last Year (and Beyond)?

Fans and the media always talk about “bend but don’t break” defenses but you rarely see as clear an example of the phenomenon as the 2010 Auburn defense.  The Tigers have given up only two pass plays over fifty yards this season, but are only 89th in the nation in pass defense at 280 yards per game.  How can this be?  Short passes.  A lot of short passes.

Tell us something we don’t know, though, right?  How about this:  Even given the disturbing state of the short-range pass coverage, Auburn’s defense is ranked a lofty twelfth in the nation (and second in the SEC!) in rushing defense.  The Tigers are allowing an average of only 86 measly yards per game on the ground, or a paltry 2.64 yards per carry.  By way of contrast, Auburn allowed 153 rushing yards per game through this point in 2009, placing the Tigers 89th in the nation and near the bottom of the SEC.

Okay, so Auburn’s defense can stop the run and doesn’t give up big passing plays.  So teams are taking what works for them: the short passing game.  Lamentable as it may be that our proud defense is lax at any one thing, the silver lining here is that the Tigers are forcing teams to drive down the field in five-yard chunks—tough to do without a penalty or a dropped pass, or without Nick Fairley blowing up a play or two (or a quarterback or two) and ending the drive.

At this point in 2009, the Tigers led the SEC in only two categories: turnover margin and sacks allowed.   (And by the end of the season, they had fallen deep into the middle of the national pack in both areas.)  This season, Auburn leads the SEC in four categories (the same number as Alabama)—rushing offense, total offense, passing efficiency and tackles for loss.  What’s more, the passing efficiency number is tops nationally.  We can move the ball.  We can run it (with multiple backs finding success) and we can throw it (even deep, if we need to).

And we have that X-factor that can kick in when things appear hopeless: CamZilla.  When was the last time Auburn had an X-factor at quarterback that could pull out a flamboyant and dramatic run or deep pass when we absolutely had to have it?  Jason Campbell in 2004, we’d argue—when all else failed, ol’ Number 17 could uncork a bomb to Ace (Aromashodu) or Deuce (Obomanu) or one of the others and pull our collective bacon out of the fire.  That brace of wideouts we so took for granted, that left us after 2005 (taking Brandon Cox’s passing numbers with them), has at last been replaced by a new monster squad that keeps showing flashes of immense potential and phenomenal brilliance.

In sum, while the Tigers may be allowing the short pass to yield a few more yards than most of us would like, the “bend but don’t break” defense is forcing the opposition to earn every one of those yards and, what is more, not allowing them to do it the old-fashioned, will-asserting, manly way—on the ground.  Meanwhile, the offense can run the ball (like a steamroller!) and even pass it with tremendous efficiency.  Yes, as the old maxim says we should do, we are running and we are stopping the run.  And we’re no slouches at passing it, either.  And that, my friends, traditionally leads to good things.  Very good things.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:59:26 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2010/10

* Where Does This Year’s Team Stand Relative to Last Year (and Beyond)?

Fans and the media always talk about “bend but don’t break” defenses but you rarely see as clear an example of the phenomenon as the 2010 Auburn defense.  The Tigers have given up only two pass plays over fifty yards this season, but are only 89th in the nation in pass defense at 280 yards per game.  How can this be?  Short passes.  A lot of short passes.

Tell us something we don’t know, though, right?  How about this:  Even given the disturbing state of the short-range pass coverage, Auburn’s defense is ranked a lofty twelfth in the nation (and second in the SEC!) in rushing defense.  The Tigers are allowing an average of only 86 measly yards per game on the ground, or a paltry 2.64 yards per carry.  By way of contrast, Auburn allowed 153 rushing yards per game through this point in 2009, placing the Tigers 89th in the nation and near the bottom of the SEC.

Okay, so Auburn’s defense can stop the run and doesn’t give up big passing plays.  So teams are taking what works for them: the short passing game.  Lamentable as it may be that our proud defense is lax at any one thing, the silver lining here is that the Tigers are forcing teams to drive down the field in five-yard chunks—tough to do without a penalty or a dropped pass, or without Nick Fairley blowing up a play or two (or a quarterback or two) and ending the drive.

At this point in 2009, the Tigers led the SEC in only two categories: turnover margin and sacks allowed.   (And by the end of the season, they had fallen deep into the middle of the national pack in both areas.)  This season, Auburn leads the SEC in four categories (the same number as Alabama)—rushing offense, total offense, passing efficiency and tackles for loss.  What’s more, the passing efficiency number is tops nationally.  We can move the ball.  We can run it (with multiple backs finding success) and we can throw it (even deep, if we need to).

And we have that X-factor that can kick in when things appear hopeless: CamZilla.  When was the last time Auburn had an X-factor at quarterback that could pull out a flamboyant and dramatic run or deep pass when we absolutely had to have it?  Jason Campbell in 2004, we’d argue—when all else failed, ol’ Number 17 could uncork a bomb to Ace (Aromashodu) or Deuce (Obomanu) or one of the others and pull our collective bacon out of the fire.  That brace of wideouts we so took for granted, that left us after 2005 (taking Brandon Cox’s passing numbers with them), has at last been replaced by a new monster squad that keeps showing flashes of immense potential and phenomenal brilliance.

In sum, while the Tigers may be allowing the short pass to yield a few more yards than most of us would like, the “bend but don’t break” defense is forcing the opposition to earn every one of those yards and, what is more, not allowing them to do it the old-fashioned, will-asserting, manly way—on the ground.  Meanwhile, the offense can run the ball (like a steamroller!) and even pass it with tremendous efficiency.  Yes, as the old maxim says we should do, we are running and we are stopping the run.  And we’re no slouches at passing it, either.  And that, my friends, traditionally leads to good things.  Very good things.

:wartim:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

You're my favorite Kaos-clone.

I'm nowhere near him in my view of Auburn's current situation, or Chizk.  But that bit is simply trying to spin good out of bad.  Our secondary looks like they're defending a field 100 yards wide vs a QB that can throw the ball 100 yards in the air.  I mean we let WRs get open by yards, not steps.  I'm willing to admit I'm wrong when we show 'bend but don't break' vs the likes of Ark/Mallet, but I'm not buying yet. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
You're my favorite Kaos-clone.

He's underacheiving.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
He's underacheiving.

One could even go so far to say that he's all hat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

And yet, I don't see anybody disagreeing with me, except of course wesfau2 with the original posting.  That "bend bud don't break" assessment of the defense is rainbows and unicorns to the max.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Now you made it mad....nice going

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:02:04 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls

I see another t-shirt idea.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

That "bend bud don't break" assessment of the defense is rainbows and unicorns to the max.

So it's not deliberate scheming that puts our CBs 10 yards off the WRs?  Just happenstance and/or poor technique by the players?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
So it's not deliberate scheming that puts our CBs 10 yards off the WRs?  Just happenstance and/or poor technique by the players?

Scheming.  It may be a part of the plan that just frustrates the hell out of me as a fan, but it might just be the best thing we've got given the play of our DB's.  Even in the first couple of drives of the LMAO game, I was hissing "Damnyouroof" through clenched teeth as they dinked and dunked their way down the field 5-10 yards a pop....the DB's barely within camera shot.  But then as they crossed midfield, they seemed to man up and ultimately stop the drive. 

On MSU's last drive attempt to win the game, I was so happy to see our guys get in the receiver's faces and dare them to win a one on one battle.  Freshman Chris davis got burned on one down the left side and the infamous dropped pass was actually great coverage by Thorpe (When have you ever heard that?) but the pass was thrown well behind the receiver (I doubt by design) I will give Roof credit for mixing it up this year.  A lot of different formations and a little more press coverage.  We just need some athletes in our secondary.

I think that was Thorpe but I was drunk.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:37:32 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

In Cover 2 (zone or man) the CBs normally line up much closer...within 5 yards.  In Cover 3, it wouldn't be unusual to see them 8 yards off the LOS.  It's not the alignment I'm concerned with.  It's where they are when the ball is thrown.  And I routinely see balls completed where the WR is sitting in a HUGE hole in the zone, or has completely lost his man if it was man.    Fans are always talking about "look at the cushion our DBs are giving the WR" and they don't even know what coverage is called.   Not every conerage is bump and run.   Depending on the coverage, and the offensive alignment, the defender could be several yards off the ball.   One of the things that has hurt us, is the more complex coverages such as "combos" where they may be running a half field man, and the rest zone.   Sometimes that is dictated by the offensive formation, and it's caused confusion in who is in zone and who is in man. 

Hey, if this really does turn out to be by design, the giving up passing yards in chunks, then I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.  Our DBs are not very good, and calling them "bend but don't break" doesn't make them good. 

I once read a coach to say: "if you think you can turn a weakness in to a strength, then that kind of thinking is another weakness."

On a positive note...our DL has greatly improved, far beyond what I thought adding depth would do.  And that's another point...with our depth, the silver lining is, that unless we're hit with a rash of injuries, this defense won't wear down and get worse, they should improve. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:48:49 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!

This will be a nice one to use against the woopigs next week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Fairly and the front 7 are "bend and break...the opponents".  They are rock solid on anything between the tackles, and pretty much all Bynes is good for is patrolling the area behind the LOS between the tackles.  He's a monster in that area.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

This will be a nice one to use against the woopigs next week.
Except the woopigs did a Godzirra deal after the Georgia game and yall are at least 2 weeks behind. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I thank you for that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Except the woopigs did a Godzirra deal after the Georgia game and yall are at least 2 weeks behind. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I thank you for that.

What, two weeks after the Godzilla version of Cam Newton?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
What, two weeks after the Godzilla version of Cam Newton?

This was my avatar two months ago.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Okay, you guys know I try to be a sunshine pumper, but this article is playing around with the numbers to make our pass defense look better than what it really is, which is my reason for losing my voice every Saturday.

The article says our defense has given up only two pass plays over 50 yards and the assumes all others are "short" pass plays. First of all, a 20-49 yard pass play is not what I call "short" pass plays, so picking out the 50 yard plays was a good deflection. Show me the stat in which we have given up pass plays of 10 yards or more and then you will see a whole different attitude than this article about our pass defense.

When I was in the stands at the South Carolina game, another guy and I were talking that if a team wants to beat us, just run nothing but pass plays, because with the padding we give WRs, their is going to be at least one receiver open more than 10 yards downfield at least once out of every three plays.

Our best pass coverage weapon is Nick Fairly. He causes more incomplete passes than our secondary does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
One could even go so far to say that he's all hat.

:bugs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
This was my avatar two months ago.

And this was the shirt I made about a week after he had his avatar up (before the season started).

Its in the store....y'all should buy it.
http://www.tigersx.com/x-shop/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:15:34 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum