Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tyrone Prothro - Bank Teller

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Tyrone Prothro - Bank Teller
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:13:05 AM »
Makes me nauseous - and I am not talking about the injury.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/09/30/five-years-later-ex-alabama-star-tyrone-prothro-is-cashing-chec/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

Five years after his career ended on a pass play against Florida, former Alabama wide receiver Tyrone Prothro works as a Regions Bank teller across the street from the Alabama football complex. From 8:30 to 5 each day, one of the most exciting playmakers in Alabama history helps Crimson Tide fans make their checking and savings deposits and withdrawals.

"People don't believe it's me," said Prothro, "I've got a name tag and a nameplate. They look down, then they look back up, and I'm like, 'It's me.' "

Five years ago, no one could tackle Prothro.

The Crimson Tide led Florida, 31-3, and was in the process of delivering the worst beating of Urban Meyer's coaching career. As the Alabama faithful rose to their feet, it was fourth and 5 with just under nine minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Prothro was unstoppable that day, having already caught seven balls for 134 yards and two touchdowns. In fact, the only time Florida had stopped him was when officials threw a flag to call back his punt return for a touchdown. Now, on the snap, Prothro, the diminutive number four in the crimson jersey and white pants, streaked past his defender. "I had him beat by five yards," Prothro said, five years later, "It was going to be a touchdown."

The ball hung in the air. Florida's defender loomed and arrived before the ball did. Pass interference.

Even still, Prothro made a play, fingers touching the ball at its apex, as the Gator defender flew into him. The ball tumbled into the green turf as Prothro rolled over, pinning his left leg beneath him. When Prothro rolled back over, his foot flopped to the side, dangling.

A nation watching on television recoiled as one. A teammate waved frantically for a trainer. For a moment, Prothro sat with his hands on his knees, stunned silence reverberating through the stadium. Then Alabama's star receiver rolled over, face down, pinning his helmet into the earth. It's an agonizing image, an athlete coming to grips with his mortality in an instant.

The junior receiver on the Heisman watch list never played another down of organized football.

"It was the best game of my career and the worst game of my career," Prothro said. "Coach (Mike Shula) had already told us that every starter was coming out on the next play."

Football life is like that, fickle. Sometimes Prothro can see it in the eyes of the people at Regions Bank. He's been there three months now, smiling, trying to put them at ease when he accepts their deposits or doles out cash into the hands of a freshman stocking up for the weekend's game festivities.

It's harder to cheer as loudly when you come face to face with how violent the game can really be, see how quickly great talent can be stripped away, the fine sporting line between celebrated ability and relative anonymity.

Five years after the injury, Prothro can run again, but he's never reclaimed the physical grace, the full speed change of directions on a dime, the cutting ability that made him one of the most difficult players in the world to tackle. In 2005, Prothro spent almost the entire month of October in a Tuscaloosa hospital. While there, he received a letter from President George W. Bush that his mom still has hanging on the wall in her home.

"I definitely think that if I didn't get hurt, I'd be in the NFL right now," Prothro said Thursday, two days before the Alabama-Florida game. "I'm not sure if I would have come out early or not, but I might have. I was a junior."

While other members of the millionaire draft class of 2006, most notably Pacman Jones, have made it rain at strip clubs, Prothro has a different experience when it comes to rain. Thanks to a metal rod still in his leg, "I can tell when it's about to rain," he said.

In a quiet moment's reflection Prothro acknowledges, "I've had my down times." He pauses, speaks louder. "But now when I think about that game, I don't think about that play. I think about everything before it."

Two years removed from graduation, Prothro holds on to a different dream. The 2008 Alabama grad would like to coach football one day. But a good football job has been hard to find. "It's a longer process than I thought," he said, sighing.

Come Saturday, when Alabama takes the field, Prothro will be signing his book, "Catch and Hold," as well as photographs and jerseys for Alabama fans. "They've been great," he said, "the best fans in the world." By kickoff, five years and one day after his football career ended, Prothro is not sure where he'll be. "I've heard rumors they want me to carry out the game ball," he said, "but nobody's told me."

"I hope it's true. I'd like to do it."

Now 26 years old and a bank teller, Prothro speaks softer still, almost a whisper, "Running on that field never gets old," he said.

And just like that, Prothro has to go, yet another change in direction. The man who seemed to defy the laws of football physics is not immune to the working world's clock. His break is over and it's time for Prothro to go back to work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

Re: Tyrone Prothro - Bank Teller
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:40:49 AM »
So we have boosters who can afford $200,000 for a fatass who's proved nothing, but we can't get Prothro a decent fucking job.  And no disrespect to bank tellers, they probably make more than me.

Fucking Alabama boosters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:59:40 AM »
Gotta say I had a similar thought. 
Did Prothro graduate?  I guess in this shitty market a teller job may be all he could get.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:48:04 AM »
So we have boosters who can afford $200,000 for a fatass who's proved nothing, but we can't get Prothro a decent fucking job.  And no disrespect to bank tellers, they probably make more than me.

Didn't you hear?!?  They are a little busy at the moment in Gadsden, Mobile and Hoover.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:54:41 AM »
Gotta say I had a similar thought. 
Did Prothro graduate?  I guess in this shitty market a teller job may be all he could get.

Yeah, my brother just graduated with a teaching degree and is working as a bank teller. He hates it. He is actually applying for a Prison guard job he hates it so bad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »
Yeah, my brother just graduated with a teaching degree and is working as a bank teller. He hates it. He is actually applying for a Prison guard job he hates it so bad.

If he don't mind bringing cell phones, tobacco and marijuana to work, he could make a killing as a prison guard. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:56:47 AM »
I hate this for Prothro though. This is one of those guys you just can't help but like even if he did play for the "enemy". I pray the guy has some doors open up for him so he can live his dream.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »
I hate this for Prothro though. This is one of those guys you just can't help but like even if he did play for the "enemy". I pray the guy has some doors open up for him so he can live his dream.

Any Alabama business man with half of a brain would be calling him right now.  You know how many people would buy a product just because Prothro is selling it?

Maybe someone should speak to Pro about pharmaceutical sales.  I've heard a man could make a lot of money and possibly reach God status with just a few sticky note pads.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:08:32 AM »
He should have never fucking been in, He should at least be managing one of the Steakhouses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 09:25:04 AM »
If he don't mind bringing cell phones, tobacco and marijuana to work, he could make a killing as a prison guard.

:bugs: I'll pass that along. Maybe you can give him the hookup?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:54:40 AM by djsimp41 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »
Any Alabama business man with half of a brain would be calling him right now.  You know how many people would buy a product just because Prothro is selling it?

Maybe someone should speak to Pro about pharmaceutical sales.  I've heard a man could make a lot of money and possibly reach God status with just a few sticky note pads.

You need some pens?  Because, I got some pens for you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »

:clap:

It's a shame that he isn't able to find a job other than a teller.  Tiffin should give the man a call to sell motor homes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 10:50:10 AM »

Hell even guys that just "play" and graduate can normally find decent work, and all the help they need or want.  This is fucking pathetic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »
I guess the Auburn family will have to take up the slack and help this guy out. Geez, one of your bammers need to tell those in charge wzup and to get their heads out of their asses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 11:07:57 AM »
Hell even guys that just "play" and graduate can normally find decent work, and all the help they need or want.  This is fucking pathetic.

You haven't looked for a job in corporate America lately have you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 11:11:10 AM »
Wait a minute.  Maybe we are dissecting this all wrong.

It ever occur to anyone that the bank teller job is a step up from pizza delivery and he is calling Auburn folks boss?
This could be the promised land for him.

just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 11:27:36 AM »
Wait a minute.  Maybe we are dissecting this all wrong.

It ever occur to anyone that the bank teller job is a step up from pizza delivery and he is calling Auburn folks boss?
This could be the promised land for him.

just sayin'.

Good question. Is this a Colonial Bank he works at?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
Not a joking matter.  Bammer makes fun of Auburn for calling ourselves family - I would like to think this would NEVER happen to an Auburn player who had a similar injury.

Time for some lousyass bammer to step up and do the right thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »
You haven't looked for a job in corporate America lately have you?

Nope, and realize times are tough.  That could be the answer to it all.  I was just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »
Nope, and realize times are tough.  That could be the answer to it all.  I was just sayin'.

I know people who were making mad money years back with multiple degrees who now bar tend or work as a fire fighter. Not that theirs anything wrong with bar tending or being a fire fighter, but just saying, neither is what you would expect people with multiple degrees previously making 6 figures to be doing now - it is THAT bad out there right now. At least the man wants to work, I will give him that. Takes a lot of pride swallowing to do what he is doing considering what happened to him. Seems like a decent guy IMHO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE