Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Music exchange

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Music exchange
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »
I wanted to toss this idea out there to see what you guys think of it. As we all know, we have the "What yo listening to" thread. What if we had a thread, maybe this one, where we exchanged music with each other. For instance, there may be some classic rock that I am trying to get a hold of that one of you guys have. The means of this exchange would be the interesting part. Like if we were trading whole albums then that would bog down email fo sho. Well, some or all of you may have heard of Dropbox. This is just an online dump site where you can upload files to and others that are linked up with you can download. Of course we would have to know each others email address for notification of the received files but not a biggie. What do you guys think?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Music exchange
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »
I wanted to toss this idea out there to see what you guys think of it. As we all know, we have the "What yo listening to" thread. What if we had a thread, maybe this one, where we exchanged music with each other. For instance, there may be some classic rock that I am trying to get a hold of that one of you guys have. The means of this exchange would be the interesting part. Like if we were trading whole albums then that would bog down email fo sho. Well, some or all of you may have heard of Dropbox. This is just an online dump site where you can upload files to and others that are linked up with you can download. Of course we would have to know each others email address for notification of the received files but not a biggie. What do you guys think?

I think it was already invented and called Napster.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »
My only worry would be the clients I work on might not like me using that type of service.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:54:08 AM »

The idea was meant to be an exchange b/w TigerX'sters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »
My only worry would be the clients I work on might not like me using that type of service.

What do you mean?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
Just worried that me accessing that type of site will trigger red flags on the office network.  I'm reasonable sure that tigersx isn't flagged, just worried that dropbox would be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »
Just worried that me accessing that type of site will trigger red flags on the office network.  I'm reasonable sure that tigersx isn't flagged, just worried that dropbox would be.

Oh I got ya. Dropbox is more like a mailbox not a site like Napster or any of these other music download sites. The main reason for this site is to transfer files that are too big for email. I have a buddy that needed an update to Tekla Structures software but it was way to big for email. So, I just uploaded it to dropbox like I was putting something in his Post office box. He received an email telling him it was there and he went to his link right to it and downloaded.

I work for a company that is like yours it seems. No Facebook, Youtube, internet radio, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »

True but P2P stuff like Napster and Limewire sometimes are frowned upon in Corporate circles and most people on here during the day are on a corporate LAN.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 11:15:55 PM »
Dropbox is an over the air, or "cloud" service.  2GB's free.  50 for 9.00 a month.  You drop your file into the dropbox account and either give out the username and password, which I don't recommend, or you provide a link to the file via email, and the receiver goes and downloads it from the cloud.

Pretty easy to do.  I think.  I utilize it for all my work files so I can access all my music, videos and papers without putting a kb on my iPhone.  Haven't used an SD card in a while now.  Anything you can download Dropbox to, or access the site from, you have your stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 05:21:58 PM »
I just figured it could be a neat little tool that we could use b/w us on the X to share music. Just was wondering what you guys thought about doing that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
I just figured it could be a neat little tool that we could use b/w us on the X to share music. Just was wondering what you guys thought about doing that.

We've gone through a few different variations on this theme on another board that Sani and I frequent (some others as well, but I think we're the most active Xers).

First we created a sub-forum that everyone just posted songs/albums in.  Then the ISP shut us down.  So we tried a p2p software solution.  Worked ok for a while, but became pretty buggy and now I don't use it at all. 

Tough to make it easy to use and stay within the bounds of your contract with the ISP.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »
We've gone through a few different variations on this theme on another board that Sani and I frequent (some others as well, but I think we're the most active Xers).

First we created a sub-forum that everyone just posted songs/albums in.  Then the ISP shut us down.  So we tried a p2p software solution.  Worked ok for a while, but became pretty buggy and now I don't use it at all. 

Tough to make it easy to use and stay within the bounds of your contract with the ISP.

That makes sense. I just figured the X would be where we discuss what we're looking for. The Dropbox idea wouldn't be a direct link to this site just our conversations. The Dropbox would be connected to our emails to let us know that what we are trading is in our Dropbox.

Like Chopper was saying, its basically like an internet jump drive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions