Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

MacBook

MacBook
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »
Okay, so I have a travel dilemma.   My clunky 17" laptop is driving me nuts on the road and the iPad simply wasn't enough.  Debating giving my fiancé my HP and buying a new laptop that's a little more travel friendly (13" for an example).  I might go for a MacBook if I can find one reasonable. 

My question is, what is the difference between the regular MacBook and the MacBook Pro?  Do any of you have one?  Why do I want to spend a huge amount more for one over a PC?

I'm down in St. Augustine and will be close to Orlando and figured I'd kill some time tomorrow and go check one out. 

Anyway, I'll hang up and listen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: MacBook
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:31:28 AM »
I actually just had this discussion with Whitney last week.....

her - "I need to get a netbook laptop."
me - "What is the matter with your regular laptop?"
her - "It's doesn't fit well in my bookbag."
me - "Why not get a different book bag where it will fit better?"
her - "I don't want a different book bag. I like the one I have."
me - "So the real issue is you do not like your laptop?"
her - "No. I like my laptop I just need something that will fit in my bookbag."
me - "So why not get a different bookbag that would cost 1/10 of what a netbook would?"
her - "You are missing the point."
me - "You are missing your common sense."

It went downhill from there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:35:55 AM »
Why do I want to spend a huge amount more for one over a PC?

With the amount of travel you do, why wouldn't you get a Dell with their service agreement?  Sure, you can buy an extended service agreement on the Mac, but if it fucks up, you have to go to the apple store, and leave it for a week or two.  With Dell, they will send someone to you.  I've had the battery on my Dell go out, and they sent someone to my office to fix it.  Literally was out of service about 2 days, while they waited for the part to come in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:23:20 AM »
Let me restate the question. 

I'm not absolutely getting one (Apple), but I do a lot of media things (make videos, chop up music, etc...).  All of these things I constantly hear how much better it is on a Mac.

My fiance's Dell is about to kick the bucket.  It's about seven years old.  This HP would be perfect for her, and I'm going to buy a computer anyway.  In other words, buying a new bookbag, or other piece of luggage, isn't the issue, nor is it going to solve what I'm doing. 

So, I'm looking at all the pro's and cons, not necessarily the next opportunity to start another goofy filled string of non-information and pre-ordained hatred of a brand.

I just want the best machine for what I do.   

Jarhead...

I'm not opposed to Dell.  However, purchasing a laptop soley because they'll come to me everytime their machine fucks up won't sway me one way or the other.  HP doesn't, but they swapped out my old computer for a brand new one under the plan I had with them.  I was pretty happy with that under the circumstances.  It's my understanding that Apple does the same thing if they can't fix the problem.

What are some options on a Dell that would rival some of the iMovie and other programs that Apple uses when it comes to video editing?   Are there any good music soundboards or mixers?   How does the processor handle it?  Does it bog down the machine? 

I'm looking for that type of info.  How does Apple's processors handle this type of work which eats up a lot of RAM while being worked on, versus the i3, i5 or i7 proccessors on PC's?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:04:01 AM »
I couldn't answer your question regarding how Dell/Windows 7 handles the multimedia.  Outside of making a custom ringtone from an existing mp3, I simply don't use my laptop for that purpose.

I use my Dell for programming in SQL and a custom PeopleSoft application called PeopleTools.  I can tell you that I've had a session of Toad open and connected to 3 databases, along with PeopleTools, while running a copy of FireFox, and a copy if Internet Explorer, and I've had no slowdown.

When I got my new laptop last March, I had been dealing with Toshiba, and how they had my laptop for 2 weeks before replacing the screen (when I opened my laptop, the screen shut off - if I kept it at about a 30 degree angle, it would turn on, so I knew it was some loose connection or something - nothing wrong with the motherboard).  I simply can't be without my laptop that long for work.  I had a coworker who's motherboard was fried on her Dell, they had a technician come to the hotel that night and swap it out.

So the differences between Macbook and Macbook Pro?  First, the size.  Macbook is available in one size only (13").  Macbook pro (13", 15", and 17").  Comparing the 13" macbook to the 13" pro:

Height:  Macbook 1.08 inches (2.74 cm) vs Macbook Pro 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
Width:  13.00 inches (33.03 cm) vs 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth: 9.12 inches (23.17 cm) vs 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
Weight: 4.7 pounds (2.13 kg) vs 4.5 pounds (2.04 kg)

Last April, I bought my wife the 13" macbook pro.  My wife liked the look and feel of the Macbook Pro, and I wanted to get her 4GB ram.  (I think the macbook comes standard with 2GB).  Harddrive size they are similar, so that's a wash.

I'd say if you want something that looks sleeker, is lighter, then go with the pro.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »
I couldn't answer your question regarding how Dell/Windows 7 handles the multimedia.  Outside of making a custom ringtone from an existing mp3, I simply don't use my laptop for that purpose.

I use my Dell for programming in SQL and a custom PeopleSoft application called PeopleTools.  I can tell you that I've had a session of Toad open and connected to 3 databases, along with PeopleTools, while running a copy of FireFox, and a copy if Internet Explorer, and I've had no slowdown.

When I got my new laptop last March, I had been dealing with Toshiba, and how they had my laptop for 2 weeks before replacing the screen (when I opened my laptop, the screen shut off - if I kept it at about a 30 degree angle, it would turn on, so I knew it was some loose connection or something - nothing wrong with the motherboard).  I simply can't be without my laptop that long for work.  I had a coworker who's motherboard was fried on her Dell, they had a technician come to the hotel that night and swap it out.

So the differences between Macbook and Macbook Pro?  First, the size.  Macbook is available in one size only (13").  Macbook pro (13", 15", and 17").  Comparing the 13" macbook to the 13" pro:

Height:  Macbook 1.08 inches (2.74 cm) vs Macbook Pro 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
Width:  13.00 inches (33.03 cm) vs 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth: 9.12 inches (23.17 cm) vs 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
Weight: 4.7 pounds (2.13 kg) vs 4.5 pounds (2.04 kg)

Last April, I bought my wife the 13" macbook pro.  My wife liked the look and feel of the Macbook Pro, and I wanted to get her 4GB ram.  (I think the macbook comes standard with 2GB).  Harddrive size they are similar, so that's a wash.

I'd say if you want something that looks sleeker, is lighter, then go with the pro.

THIS man knows. I run Dell on everything Chop and never been disappointed. Their service is great. For the money, they are hard to beat. 

And no matter what brand, it will fuck up eventually so listen to jarhead on that one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »

I'm not absolutely getting one (Apple), but I do a lot of media things (make videos, chop up music, etc...).  All of these things I constantly hear how much better it is on a Mac.

My fiance's Dell is about to kick the bucket.  It's about seven years old.  This HP would be perfect for her, and I'm going to buy a computer anyway.  In other words, buying a new bookbag, or other piece of luggage, isn't the issue, nor is it going to solve what I'm doing. 

So, I'm looking at all the pro's and cons, not necessarily the next opportunity to start another goofy filled string of non-information and pre-ordained hatred of a brand.

Jarhead...

I'm not opposed to Dell.  However, purchasing a laptop soley because they'll come to me everytime their machine phuks up won't sway me one way or the other.  HP doesn't, but they swapped out my old computer for a brand new one under the plan I had with them.  I was pretty happy with that under the circumstances.  It's my understanding that Apple does the same thing if they can't fix the problem.

What are some options on a Dell that would rival some of the iMovie and other programs that Apple uses when it comes to video editing?   Are there any good music soundboards or mixers?   How does the processor handle it?  Does it bog down the machine? 

I'm looking for that type of info.  How does Apple's processors handle this type of work which eats up a lot of RAM while being worked on, versus the i3, i5 or i7 proccessors on PC's?

Apple will do a whole machine swap if they can't fix it.   I'm an Apple fan, but for the money, you can do the same thing on a PC that you can a Mac when it comes to editing photos, music and video.  Now saying that, if you are going with a Mac, get the MacBook Pro.  Faster processor (which you can't upgrade on a MacBook), more memory, bigger harddrive.  Since you can't work on the machine and they have to send it to depot to be worked on, it's worth the extra $200, b/c they will charge you a lot more to upgrade.   

If you upgrade a MacBook to match the memory and HD size of a MacBook Pro, you pay the same price and still have a slower CPU.

My $.02
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 12:49:44 PM »

Jarhead...

I'm not opposed to Dell.  However, purchasing a laptop soley because they'll come to me everytime their machine fucks up won't sway me one way or the other.  HP doesn't, but they swapped out my old computer for a brand new one under the plan I had with them.  I was pretty happy with that under the circumstances.  It's my understanding that Apple does the same thing if they can't fix the problem.

You better make sure they don't need an adapter to charge them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »

Classic!  :bugs:

Went and looked at a few Dells today, and based on your in put Jarhead, I could go in that direction.  Not in a huge hurry, but Best Buy had a few good ones in the 14" range with 4GB of DDR3 Memory and 500GB's of HD space.   Seemed pretty good for 6-800 bones depending on whether you went with an i3, or higher processor.

We'll have to see, haven't decided yet, but the Dell's impressed me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
If you decide to go with dell, I'm not sure Best Buy is the place to get it.  I don't think they offer Dell's service contract, they only offer their geek squad.  I bought my Dell off of dell.com.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »
Got a MacBook Pro 13".  Love it.

Had a buddy of mine that's hooked me up with some cool software too.  I'm happy with the decision. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
My next gripe with apple products is obviously they have something programmed into the browser that does not allow you to connect to the ticket master website.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 01:38:34 PM »
My next gripe with apple products is obviously they have something programmed into the browser that does not allow you to connect to the ticket master website.

really?  the skirt, as far as i know, has purchased through ticket master, more recently bon jovi then kiss. perhaps something new.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »

Screw Ticketmaster, I heard teh Apples won't even allow you to look at this site

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/tickets/

I guess you could look elsewhere though...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
Funny that you guys mention that, my damn Iphone won't let me connect to ticketmaster...WTF!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:09:53 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:59 PM »
Screw Ticketmaster, I heard teh Apples won't even allow you to look at this site

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/tickets/

I guess you could look elsewhere though...

I ordered the 4 ticket pack through that site last night on my Mac...  No issues.

Some sites might not work on the iPhone for certain functions that require flash to operate.  That's my guess on what's up with ticketmaster.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 12:13:19 AM »
Took some of my ill-gotten gains and bought a MacBook Air today. So far so good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
Took some of my ill-gotten gains and bought a MacBook Air today. So far so good.

Nifty little machine.  Did you get the little one, or the bigger one?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »
I didn't know there were two sizes.

The one I have is regular sized length. But is less than a deck of cards thick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
I didn't know there were two sizes.

The one I have is regular sized length. But is less than a deck of cards thick.

I think the primary one is about 13-14 inches wide, and a smaller one is available at around 11 inches I believe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions