Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Well, What Does The Wall Street Journal Know Anyways...Pfff...

Well, What Does The Wall Street Journal Know Anyways...Pfff...
« on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
Can't wait for RWS's PERFECTLY good reason for this.  No No People...  Walk away!  Nothing to see here......

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703384204575509901468451306.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

Alabama's Unhappy Castoffs
Ex-Players Say Coach Nick Saban Pressured Them to Take Medical Scholarships; a 'Bitter' Outcome.

By HANNAH KARP And DARREN EVERSON

Sports Illustrated/Getty Images

Alabama coach Nick Saban leading his team onto the field before a Sept. 11 game against Penn State.
.Former Alabama football players say the school's No. 1-ranked football program has tried to gain a competitive edge by encouraging some underperforming players to quit the team for medical reasons, even in cases where the players are still healthy enough to play.

At least 12 times since coach Nick Saban took over the program in 2007, Alabama has offered players a "medical" scholarship, according to public statements made by the team. These scholarships, which are allowed under NCAA rules, are intended to make sure scholarship athletes who are too injured to play don't lose their financial aid. A player who receives one of these scholarships is finished playing with that team.

Three Alabama players who've taken these exemptions say they believe the team uses the practice as a way to clear spots for better players by cutting players it no longer wants. These players said they believe Mr. Saban and his staff pressure some players to take these scholarships even though their injuries aren't serious enough to warrant keeping them off the field.

"I'm still kind of bitter," said former Alabama linebacker Chuck Kirschman, who took a medical scholarship last year. Mr. Kirschman said Mr. Saban encouraged him to accept the scholarship because of a back problem that he believes he could have played through. "It's a business," Mr. Kirschman said. "College football is all about politics. And this is a loophole in the system."

Alabama isn't the only school that has given players medical scholarships. Including the Crimson Tide, the 12 members of the Southeastern Conference have given at least 25 of these scholarships to football players in the past three years. Ultimately, it's the school's decision whether a player is healthy enough to play football.

More College Football
Down and Distance: Goliath Hasn't Gone Anywhere
Enough With the Statues, Already
The latest college football news and scores
.In a statement, Doug Walker, the school's associate athletic director for media relations, said Alabama's first priority in these situations is always the health of its players. "Decisions about medical disqualifications for student-athletes are made by medical professionals and adhere to the parameters outlined by the NCAA…and the Southeastern Conference," he said in the statement.

The school added that the "process for medical disqualification is very similar from campus to campus across the country." Alabama said that student-athletes sign a medical-exemption certificate agreeing that they fully understand the conditions, that the diagnosis of the injury or illness clearly appears to be an incapacitating one, and that there's a "reasonable expectation" they'll never again be able to play.

An Alabama spokesman said the school won't discuss individual cases, citing health-privacy laws. Mr. Saban declined to comment.

How college-football teams manage their allotted number of players is a serious competitive issue in the sport. The 120 schools in the NCAA's Football Bowl Subdivision, the sport's highest echelon, are limited to 85 scholarship athletes each. No more than 25 new signees are allowed to join a team in the fall. Because injuries are common, teams do whatever they can to make sure those spots are filled by the best athletes.

Because some players may fail to qualify academically, some teams take on more players than they have room for, to make sure they don't get caught short. The problem for teams comes when the numbers don't work out and the team winds up needing to make cuts.

Alabama, which won the national championship last season, is off to a dominating 3-0 start this year, including a blowout win over Penn State. The Crimson Tide play at No. 10 Arkansas Saturday in the weekend's most anticipated game.

The program is one of several in the SEC that have developed reputations for pushing roster limits. Since Mr. Saban took over as coach after a stint with the NFL's Miami Dolphins, Alabama has routinely had to trim its roster ahead of the season. Placing players on medical scholarships has helped it do so.

In some cases, the players who took these scholarships say they didn't feel pressured. Charles Hoke, a former Alabama offensive lineman who took a medical scholarship in 2008 because of a shoulder problem, said the choice was left entirely up to him and was based on the many conversations he had with the team's doctors and trainers over the course of his junior year.

Others who took these scholarships say they believe the school is violating the spirit of the rule. Mr. Kirschman, the linebacker, said he injured his back in April 2008 but continued practicing with the team through the spring of 2009. That May, he was approached by coaches and trainers and asked to take a medical scholarship.

"I wasn't playing significant minutes, but I was personally upset because I did anything coach asked, I was a team player, I had a 4.0 average," said Mr. Kirschman, who played in two career games, both in 2008, and is now working full time as a robot programmer at Mercedes.

Mr. Kirschman said the school offered in the summer of 2009 to pay for his graduate degree in business—an offer he accepted—and that he still gets some of the same perks as players. "I still get game tickets, which is nice," he says.

Mr. Kirschman said the decision to take the medical scholarship was ultimately his, and that he decided to do it to open up a scholarship for the good of the team. But he said he felt he was pressured. "It was pushed," he said. "It was instigated for several players."

In August 2009, Jeramie Griffin, a redshirt sophomore running back at Alabama, tore an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during a practice—an injury that kept him out for that season. After undergoing surgery, he said, "I came back in the spring and I was OK."

Indeed, Mr. Griffin's bio on Alabama's official athletics website said he "looked strong in 2010 spring drills, just eight months off of surgery."

Mr. Griffin said that he was surprised last month when the football staff told him he had failed a physical. At that point, Mr. Griffin said, Mr. Saban sat him down and asked him what he wanted to do besides playing football. He said that Mr. Saban floated the possibility of a medical scholarship and asked if Mr. Griffin was interested in student coaching.

Mr. Griffin said he doesn't contest the results of the physical and said it was "basically my decision" to forgo the rest of his playing career.

Mr. Griffin said he has agreed to take a job as a student coach. He added that he felt less angry about being pushed to take the medical scholarship—which frees up roster space for the team—than he did about not living up to his potential.

"I felt like I could have played," he said.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:32:06 PM by AuburnChopper »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

Re: Well, What Does The Wall Street Journal Know Anyways...Pfff...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
Mr. Kirschman said the decision to take the medical scholarship was ultimately his, and that he decided to do it

Mr. Griffin said he doesn't contest the results of the physical and said it was "basically my decision" to forgo the rest of his playing career. He added that he felt less angry about being pushed to take the medical scholarship than he did about not living up to his potential

Damn that Saban to hell.  He found a loop hole and forced them to quit, although really he didn't make them quit because it was their decision, and not Saban's. 

Find me a player who states he was not injured in any way and was made to take a medical scholarship, then you got a story.  Until then, STFU.  And stop using Mr. before every fucking name. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »
Kirschman said he was "bitter".  Even if he made the choice himself, the context of the decision was that he felt he was pressured to make that decision...thus the article.   I think your selections are what I'd expect most Alabama fans to focus on.  However, it's selective, and not the point.

I think the main reason I posted this, is the fact that the Wall Street Journal had this story.  Why?  Why do they give a fuck? 

I have a feeling this won't be the only article to come out.  ...and why?  Because it's clear that Saban has put himself out there and thrown rocks while there are plenty of others ready to throw rocks back at the man living in a glass house atop his ivory tower.

What will come out of it?  Probably not a whole lot.  Probably just a lot of ill talk and articles that prove to be more of a nuisance.  However, why bring it on yourself?  It was HIS choice to do so.  I have ZERO compassion and have no problem laughing at that fucking douche every time it happens.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:57:19 PM by AuburnChopper »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:35 PM »
I think the main reason I posted this, is the fact that the Wall Street Journal had this story.  Why?  Why do they give a fuck? 

Because Alabama is the #1 team in the country?  If we were getting the fuck beat out of us and were sitting at 2-1 not ranked, do you really think this would be a story? 

I have a feeling this won't be the only article to come out.  ...and why?  Because it's clear that Saban has put himself out there and thrown rocks while there are plenty of others ready to throw rocks back at the man living in a glass house atop his ivory tower.

Not to be an asshole, but so fucking what?  There are at least 3-4 articles trumped up against Saban every year.  Just last week I read an article calling Saban the biggest whore in college football.  Par for the course.

What will come out of it?  Probably not a whole lot.  Probably just a lot of ill talk and articles that prove to be more of a nuisance.  However, why bring it on yourself?  It was HIS choice to do so.  I have ZERO compassion and have no problem laughing at that fucking douche every time it happens.

Why would anything come out of it?  Unless Mr. Saban ordered a code red or is personally busting knee caps with tire irons after lights out, I don't see a problem.  Both players admitted the decision was entirely up to them.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:18:56 PM »
At least 12 times since coach Nick Saban took over the program in 2007

Twelve, not "two".  Those were just a couple guys they talked to, and he mentioned that he was still "bitter" and felt he still could have played.  Bottom line is, what was his alternative if he'd said "no"?  Do you really think Saban was going to let him play?  I don't, and I'm not blinded by fandom in thinking so either.

You're right about whether these articles would be written if Alabama was under different circumstances, but Alabama is undefeated, unbeaten in the regular season over the past few years, and people seem to be thinking they're using shenanigans to get players on the field that shouldn't be there in place of students that were still fit to play.

You're also right about it being par for the course for people and writers to be talking shit about Saban.  Yeah, sports writers and bloggers, but the Wall Street Journal?  Really?   Why do they give enough of a shit to publish this?  Why not scoot it off as an AP report in the USA Today or another paper with a more prominent sports section?

I'm just saying that Saban's continuously ridiculous actions and attitude continue to bring more unwanted attention to a program that needs as little white glove treatment as possible.

It's not a good thing, let alone a normal, everyday thing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:07:56 AM »
Twelve, not "two".  Those were just a couple guys they talked to, and he mentioned that he was still "bitter" and felt he still could have played.  Bottom line is, what was his alternative if he'd said "no"?  Do you really think Saban was going to let him play?  I don't, and I'm not blinded by fandom in thinking so either.

Alright.  So three players said they felt as though they were pressured.  You really think the author of this article only called those 3 and not all 12?  I don't.  Unless they really are that shitty of a journalist.  They called all fucking 12, and found 3 who would speak ill of the situation.  And if they'd said no to the medical leave?  I really doubt they would have played.  But how is that any different than the situation they were already in?  Neither of the guys listed were anywhere near the top of the depth chart, and they most likely would have gone the rest of their careers without seeing playing time.  It happens.  There's 85 players on scholarship every year at major programs and only 40-50 actually see meaningful game time.  That's how it works.  So yeah, they could have said no, and still been on the team.  No one is guaranteed playing time.  It was their decision, and they both are on record saying THEY chose to take the medical leave.

You're right about whether these articles would be written if Alabama was under different circumstances, but Alabama is undefeated, unbeaten in the regular season over the past few years, and people seem to be thinking they're using shenanigans to get players on the field that shouldn't be there in place of students that were still fit to play.

"People seem to thing" means shit.  People seemed to think Obama was going to swoop in, fix the economy, pay for people's gas/mortgages and create world peace.  Guess what?  People are fucking stupid.  As I said, find a player who WASN'T hurt and WAS forced to quit the team, THEN there is a fucking problem...and a headline story.

"You're also right about it being par for the course for people and writers to be talking shit about Saban.  Yeah, sports writers and bloggers, but the Wall Street Journal?  Really?   Why do they give enough of a shit to publish this?  Why not scoot it off as an AP report in the USA Today or another paper with a more prominent sports section?"

Maybe the author is an LSU graduate.  Maybe he/she is a Dolphin fan.  Maybe they watch a lot of Tosh O, saw the attention he got busting on Saban, and decided they wanted some of that action.

I'm just saying that Saban's continuously ridiculous actions and attitude continue to bring more unwanted attention to a program that needs as little white glove treatment as possible.

Again, if Alabama was unranked and getting the fuck kicked out of them, nobody would give a shit about Saban's actions.  Nor would there be weekly articles about it.  Maybe once every few months someone would have a "we told you so Alabama" article, but then they'd get back to their regular articles on the top teams. 

let alone a normal, everyday thing.

Actually, it has been a normal, everyday thing.  Since he was named head coach at Alabama, it's been non stop. ESPN, CBS sportsline, Wall Street Journal, and countless of other major news sources.  People said he would leave in 3 years.  People said he'd never be able to recruit at Alabama because parents wouldn't trust him.  People said he'd never win an SEC Championship at Bama. 

He's still here.  He's still recruiting a lot of top talent.  He's already won the SEC and BCS.  They can keep writing their stories.  I'm certain hundreds (like the douche bag out of Miami who stands in on PTI) of journalists are just waiting for Saban to stumble.  Or Alabama to get beat.  When it happens? It happens.  It could happen in 2 days.  It's inevitable.  But until it does?  I'm going to enjoy the ride. 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:09:06 AM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
Receiving Game Tickets and other perks, on top of having his school fully paid for...NOPE, nothing to see here.  BTW, wouldn't that be considered extra benefits...the tickets?  Yup.  I wonder if WSJ is man enough to track down Star and a large number of other players that've gotten the boot, in three short years.  Should be interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:48:17 AM »

Alabama isn't the only school that has given players medical scholarships. Including the Crimson Tide, the 12 members of the Southeastern Conference have given at least 25 of these scholarships to football players in the past three years.

This is the type thing that nobody wants to stir the pot on.  We ALL suspect that coaches like Saban use this to their advantage, but it can't be proved.  All the schools do this, more often for the benefit of the player, than to clear a spot on the team.   This, like steroid use in football, is a can of worms best left unopened.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
When it happens? It happens.  It could happen in 2 days.  It's inevitable.  But until it does?  I'm going to enjoy the ride.

A lot of writing to get to really what matters as the final point.  Why is it inevitable?  Because he's an assclown of epic proportions.  That's why.  Also, IFFFFF it happens that he stumbles and it's found that he manipulated and cheated to provide the ride you're on, will it be as sweet?  I don't know what the answer to that question is, or will be.

Again, I don't think a lot will happen, but frankly, it's got to be a little tiresome to some to have your program and coach dinked, dunked and constantly having to defend themselves, rather than be celebrated as a great program outside of your own state.

Just my opinion... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »
A lot of writing to get to really what matters as the final point.  Why is it inevitable?  Because he's an assclown of epic proportions.  That's why.  Also, IFFFFF it happens that he stumbles and it's found that he manipulated and cheated to provide the ride you're on, will it be as sweet?  I don't know what the answer to that question is, or will be.

Again, I don't think a lot will happen, but frankly, it's got to be a little tiresome to some to have your program and coach dinked, dunked and constantly having to defend themselves, rather than be celebrated as a great program outside of your own state.

Just my opinion...

The inevitable is losing, not being caught cheating.  We are eventually going to lose a game or 4.  And it's a bullshit article by a Duke graduate.  I'm not sure why a Duke graduate would write a bad article about Alabama. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »
Not to be an asshole, but so fucking what?  There are at least 3-4 articles trumped up against Saban every year.  Just last week I read an article calling Saban the biggest whore in college football.  Par for the course.

You are an asshole and Saban is a whore, but I gotta agree with you.  So fucking what, oh boo fucking hoo, so let me see you still get a free ride to get a college education (third rate mind you, but still).  If you don't like it fucking transfer to another school.  That is reporters being reporters.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:06:59 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »
Well, it DOES matter.  Getting free tickets to games?  Convincing players that can play that they can't and offering "same perks as players" to them?  Out of the entire 25 med schollies given by the SEC in the last three years, half of them are from Bama alone? 

Why does the fact she's a Duke graduate have to do with anything?  Duke?  So Duke is a school out to get Bama now?  What about the other guy that wrote the article?   Did he come from a University that has some sort of problem with Alabama too? 

C'mon, the whole "they graduated from *_____________*, so they must have an issue with Alabama defense is retarded.

The article was written because the issues are not standard, everyday, okay happenings in a football program.  It's shit like this that's going to get the unwanted attention brought to Alabama.

Call it reporters doing what reporters do if you want, but reporters doing what reporters do is ultimately what's going to earn Saban and Alabama a kick in the cash and prizes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:16:19 AM by AuburnChopper »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
The kids don't stand a chance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
   Not an Alabama or a Saban fan, but this article is a crock of shit.  Scholarships are awarded year to year, what the article fails to report is that if the players don't take the medical scholarship, they would get "encouraged" to transfer for "more playing time" at Jacksonville St. or some other DII team.  If they want to keep playing, they can do it at another school.  If they want to stay at Alabama, they get their school paid for as promised.  If they make a big stink about it, they get labeled a troublemaker and the scholarship just gets outright pulled.   
     At the college level, football isn't a game anymore, it is serious business.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »
I think Saban is the biggest - and dirtiest - douchebag on the planet.  If there is a way to bend and manipulate the rules to suit his fucking "Process", the asshole is gonna do just that.

But if I am going afte someone for something like this, my choices would have been the Right Rev. Nuttsac and Ed "Yawyawfoobaw" Ogeron, and the 3,976 players they signed every year at Arky and OM.  How did they manage to trim their lists down??
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »
How did they manage to trim their lists down??

Nutt ordered the code red and ran off team "cancers".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 10:29:36 AM »
Okay...agreed with what everyone says, including the "crock of shit" descriptions and everything... HOWEVER...  It's the fact that it got written about Alabama and Saban, even when everyone else is doing it, including "Nuttsack" and whoever else.

The point is that because of his over the top antics, he's drawing this fire himself.  Unwanted fire.  Fire that exposes other bullshit that matters the more he causes it to be aimed at Alabama. 

Just sayin....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
The point is that because of his over the top antics, he's drawing this fire himself.  Unwanted fire.  Fire that exposes other bullshit that matters the more he causes it to be aimed at Alabama. 

Agreed, sort of like out of sight out of mind. This is something that those of us that has been in the military learned the first day of basic. If coaches put them or their programs out there testing the "limits", some may backfire. These coaches have to know that there are journalist always looking for that next big story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:58 AM »
I think Saban is the biggest - and dirtiest - douchebag on the planet.  If there is a way to bend and manipulate the rules to suit his fucking "Process", the asshole is gonna do just that.

But if I am going afte someone for something like this, my choices would have been the Right Rev. Nuttsac and Ed "Yawyawfoobaw" Ogeron, and the 3,976 players they signed every year at Arky and OM.  How did they manage to trim their lists down??
They found, that when you lose to Jacksonville State and Vanderbilt, players and recruits will leave on their own volition. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

JR4AU

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
They found, that when you lose to Jacksonville State and Vanderbilt, players and recruits will leave on their own volition.

That, and of the nearly 4000 they signed, only 12 qualified. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions