Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I submit to you....

JR4AU

Re: I submit to you....
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 10:38:29 PM »
I'll weigh- in with my armchair analysis.

What bothers me, is where were the swing passes? the bubble screens?  Shit, where are the slant patterns, the hooks.  It seems to me that we don't throw anything short and let our talented playmakers do their thing.  We did the swing passes and screens against MSU, but they were non existent against Clemson.  I don't think I have seen a slant pattern all season long, what about a ten yard up and in rout?

It just seems to me that the play calling is run....run...40 yard bomb.

You're right, we don't run much "quick game".  It's really not a big part of the repertoire.  Screens...true screens, are not a big part either.  Malzahn has a version of Stick he occasionally runs (a staple in Air Raid/Leach/Franklin offenses, and in fact one of the hip trendy pass plays these days at all levels of football), and a slant/flat combo I've seen a few times this season.   The screens you see, are most often bubbles run as part of the veer option...used instead of a pitch option.  Practice time, or the lack of dictates that you can only do so much.  And you need to be doing things that compliment each other, not a hodgepodge.  We are a run to set up the P/A pass team.  P/A passing, timing wise is necessarily the deeper routes, or crossing routes that take some time to develop.  Short passing plays just aren't part of what he does, or chooses to spend practice time on.  You can only get GOOD at so many things with the time they have.  The NFL and unlimited practice times, means you can have a completely different personality each week.  Can't do that in college.  I had the same complaint last year too BTW...but that's why it is.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
I thought one of the great things about him was going to be that he was Tebow's backup at one time, so he had to be uber elite? And since he took his JUCO team to their NC, he kept that eliteness? Bottom line, there were very lofty expectations put on him by some AU fans before he ever took his first snap for AU. I think the jury is still out. Some people told some of you there would be a learning curve, and that the majority of the time a new starting QB won't take a team to the promised land, because of that curve. Especially in the SEC. I know Chizad decided to mock one of those people (Kaos), and he is showing that in his signature. I'm not going to hold you to what Chizad or others might have said, but I'm pretty sure you were all in the Cam-wagon this summer. Seems some folks are backing up a little now and realizing the curve.
You are such a sopping douche.

First of all, all of those advantages of Cam's you're referencing were brought ip in the context of pointing out that many are crowning Brantley the king of the SEC and placing him on the Heisman watch list, while maintaining that Newton is "untested". This even came with a disclaimer that this by no means Cam was going to be the greatest of all time, just that both could equally have been busts or badasses, but Cam should have the edge if anything. I don't know about you, but I'd take Newton over Brantley seven days of the week, and twice on Saturday.

This also was not meant to support any claim that Auburn is a shoe-in to win a National Championship because Cam is on the roster. Kaos, if you want to bring him up, was 100% certain that Auburn would have a losing season last year, and then regress this year. To suggest the mere possibility of any other scenario was pure ignorance.

As it stands, Auburn is 3-0. Cam is far from a bust.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:43:49 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »

What bothers me, is where were the swing passes? the bubble screens?  poop, where are the slant patterns, the hooks.  It seems to me that we don't throw anything short and let our talented playmakers do their thing.  We did the swing passes and screens against MSU, but they were non existent against Clemson.  I don't think I have seen a slant pattern all season long, what about a ten yard up and in rout?

What bothers me, is where were the swing passes? the bubble screens?  poop, where are the slant patterns, the hooks.  It seems to me that we don't throw anything short and let our talented playmakers do their thing.  We did the swing passes and screens against MSU, but they were non existent against Clemson.  I don't think I have seen a slant pattern all season long, what about a ten yard up and in rout?

Apparently, that's how we roll.
I'm sorry but we have a blueprint here and a standard that doesn't include questioning our resident genius.
That wiill be all.
Thank you  for coming.

Seriously though. this bothers me as well.
It's great to go vertical but I want some variety.
And our QB needs short to intermediate passes to get some rythym.  Learned that from Dr. Lou. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
Cam

I just wanted to say, I saw several of your "Yes We Cam" boards right behind the ROTC section all night.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:39:23 AM by djsimp41 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 07:10:48 AM »
"poo-pooing" away?  What?  Okay.  So what are you saying?  That you're getting the band back together for one more game?  Call back the 2009 team.  We got another one to play in Fayetteville.

Gotcha.   

I'm not dismissing anything.  I even said that I believe Alabama will win the game... However, it's a new year and I think that Petrino and Mallet have proven to be better than average.  If that's proven incorrect, and they look utterly unprepared for the total awesomeness that you have pre-ordained because of years past, then I guess you can thump your chest from behind the keyboard I guess.

No shit.  You won't drive across you're own fucking city to watch a game.
All I'm saying is the past two seasons, we have kicked the piss out of Arkansas, no matter who we have on the field. And that's with emptying out the benches starting after halftime. There is a reason for it. If you had watched the manner in which it was done the past two times times, it goes beyond the matchup on the field. I think we have them figured out scheme-wise, and I think we prepare well for them. I mean, when AU was running up the streak on Alabama, you guys felt pretty fucking confident that it was going to be a yearly thing right around game 3, did you not? Some teams just traditionally beat each other teams. I think, for the forseeable future, Arkansas will fall into that category for Alabama. That's just my opinion, though. I don't really get into the habit of just throwing an "Alabama is going to beat the piss out of this or that team" very often, but I think a pattern may form.

Oh, and last I checked, BDS is on the other end of the state from me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:15:35 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 07:14:35 AM »
Forget that I'm a fan of your rival.  I'm not saying this as a Bama fan who is pissed because you guys pulled it out in overtime. Nor am I'm saying this as a Bama fan who was laughing when Auburn was down 17-0.  I'm saying this as a college football fan who watched, in entirety, Auburn's last two games against Mississippi State and Clemson.  Malzhan's offense, schemes aside, went nearly an entire 4 quarters of football without putting a single point on the board. 

Auburn is 3-0, which is all that matters after 3 weeks into the season, but they are a dropped pass by Mississippi state away from entering overtime in the second game and a dropped pass away from losing in overtime in the third game.  I don't pretend to know all the inner working of Malzhan's offense, but I find it hard to disagree with some of these guys when they say there's something wrong with the offense.  This high powered, quick strike offense shouldn't go 4 quarters of football without scoring a point against Miss St and Clemson's defense. 

With that said, although it wasn't the best win in this young football season, I'm certain the recruits had a damn good time at the end.  Sometimes those last second victories do more for recruiting than shit stomping the other team.

We have some unholy ass rapings coming our way in the near future if shit does not change.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 07:26:19 AM »
You are such a sopping douche.

First of all, all of those advantages of Cam's you're referencing were brought ip in the context of pointing out that many are crowning Brantley the king of the SEC and placing him on the Heisman watch list, while maintaining that Newton is "untested". This even came with a disclaimer that this by no means Cam was going to be the greatest of all time, just that both could equally have been busts or badasses, but Cam should have the edge if anything. I don't know about you, but I'd take Newton over Brantley seven days of the week, and twice on Saturday.
And like most here said, placing the crown on any new starting QB is just stupid. I haven't really seen Brantley play, so I couldn't tell you. Cam has alot of room for improvement. And that's fine; he IS a new starting QB in the SEC. He has plenty of time to improve. Even though I think there are some glaring issues, that doesn't mean they can't or won't be fixed. But in all fairness, you were one of the ones that seem to have crowned Newton pre-season, so I can't see why you would get upset at others crowning Brantley as something he's not.

Bottom line is if Newton doesn't start improving, and quick, shit is going to hit the fan later in the season. Run, run, run, lob it halfway down the field isn't going to work in every game.

This also was not meant to support any claim that Auburn is a shoe-in to win a National Championship because Cam is on the roster. Kaos, if you want to bring him up, was 100% certain that Auburn would have a losing season last year, and then regress this year. To suggest the mere possibility of any other scenario was pure ignorance.

As it stands, Auburn is 3-0. Cam is far from a bust.
Kaos' simple point was to be cautious, because breaking in a new starting QB in the SEC usually doesn't go all that well. It certainly doesn't usually produce a championship season. I believe a point was made that it has been a long time since a new starting QB has came into the SEC and just lit the world on fire. I think even longer since a JUCO QB has came in and done it, but that could possibly just be because you don't see many JUCO QBs transfering in? Not sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »
Kaos' simple point was to be cautious, because breaking in a new starting QB in the SEC usually doesn't go all that well. It certainly doesn't usually produce a championship season. I believe a point was made that it has been a long time since a new starting QB has came into the SEC and just lit the world on fire. I think even longer since a JUCO QB has came in and done it, but that could possibly just be because you don't see many JUCO QBs transfering in? Not sure.
How has your QB worked out for you? How was his first season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 08:36:43 AM »
Totally the exception, and not the rule. That shit just does not happen year in and year out in the SEC. For that matter, I don't think McElroy "lit the world on fire" either. He did well relative to new starting QBs in the SEC, and had a great supporting cast around him. Having a Heisman winner in the backfield doesn't really hurt, nor does having a back behind that guy that could be mentioned in the same conversation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2010, 08:40:34 AM »

McElroy HAD to win one game for them last year.  The Auburn game.  To my knowledge we were the only ones that took away their running game the entire year. 

We are up to this point asking Newton to do a hell of a lot more than McElroy was asked to do last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2010, 08:50:17 AM »
McElroy HAD to win one game for them last year.  The Auburn game.  To my knowledge we were the only ones that took away their running game the entire year. 

We are up to this point asking Newton to do a hell of a lot more than McElroy was asked to do last year.
For that matter, it helps when you're throwing it to a guy who will likely go in the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft after this season, and protected by a very good OL. Again, that's where your supporting cast comes into play. When you have alot of weapons, they can make a middle of the road guy look like a worldbeater. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2010, 09:03:05 AM »
All I'm saying is the past two seasons, we have kicked the piss out of Arkansas, no matter who we have on the field. And that's with emptying out the benches starting after halftime. There is a reason for it. If you had watched the manner in which it was done the past two times times, it goes beyond the matchup on the field. I think we have them figured out scheme-wise, and I think we prepare well for them. I mean, when AU was running up the streak on Alabama, you guys felt pretty fucking confident that it was going to be a yearly thing right around game 3, did you not? Some teams just traditionally beat each other teams. I think, for the forseeable future, Arkansas will fall into that category for Alabama. That's just my opinion, though. I don't really get into the habit of just throwing an "Alabama is going to beat the piss out of this or that team" very often, but I think a pattern may form.

This does nothing to help your cause.  I understand what you're trying say, but using a three, or even our six game streak to justify your feelings are a stretch because of the rarity of those streaks versus teams that are in the same league as you.   

Oh, and last I checked, BDS is on the other end of the state from me.

I know you had to check a map.  Lord knows you wouldn't know otherwise.  Also, to drive from one end of the state to another to support your team isn't some sort of impossible dream.  It happens... a lot.  I'm driving across two to support Auburn.  I'll do it for a third time next weekend ....this season.   I understand work schedules, it's not a slight on you.  I just CAN, fortunately.   However, you should make the fucking trip once for yourself. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »
However, you should make the fucking trip once for yourself.
Oh, I will eventually. I've been to the stadium before, just never for a game. It's just not really near the top of my priority list. I hate being around a huge crowd too, so it's not like I'm exactly chomping at the bit to get up there either.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:17:22 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »
Totally the exception, and not the rule. That shit just does not happen year in and year out in the SEC. For that matter, I don't think McElroy "lit the world on fire" either. He did well relative to new starting QBs in the SEC, and had a great supporting cast around him. Having a Heisman winner in the backfield doesn't really hurt, nor does having a back behind that guy that could be mentioned in the same conversation.
It's like I know what you're going to say before you say it.

Of course, bammer is the exception to every rule. Saw that one coming a mile away.

I don't think anyone was trying to seriously contend that Cam would "set the world on fire", i.e. carry the team all by himself and be in Heisman contention. In fact, I'm pretty surprised that it's actually shaping up that way. I expected our offense as a whole to do a lot more clicking than they are. I expected Dyer to be a bit more badassed than he has thus far proven to be. I expected our experienced line to make it easier on Newton. All most people were expecting from Newton was to be an improvement at the QB position over Todd, and expect relative stability everywhere else. I think so far that is the case for the most part.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
It's like I know what you're going to say before you say it.

Of course, bammer is the exception to every rule. Saw that one coming a mile away.

I don't think anyone was trying to seriously contend that Cam would "set the world on fire", i.e. carry the team all by himself and be in Heisman contention. In fact, I'm pretty surprised that it's actually shaping up that way. I expected our offense as a whole to do a lot more clicking than they are. I expected Dyer to be a bit more badassed than he has thus far proven to be. I expected our experienced line to make it easier on Newton. All most people were expecting from Newton was to be an improvement at the QB position over Todd, and expect relative stability everywhere else. I think so far that is the case for the most part.
How else do you want me to describe McElroy last year? His success last year was an exception to the normal rule of a new starting QB usually doesn't do so well his first season in the SEC. I guess since me saying he was an exception to the previously stated rule is nothing more than being a  :bamahomer: , then you tell me what is an acceptable answer. I really don't know what you're looking for here. New starting QBs just don't usually do well their first year. McElroy did....he proved it over the course of the season. How is that not an exception to the rule? It has nothing to do with it being an exception JUST because it's Alabama; it was just the luck of the draw that it happened at Alabama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »
I said before the season that I thought there would be some face-palm moments with Cam until he got his feet under him.  I also admit that I thought with the senior dominated line and more weapons at his disposal, he would lead this offense to record numbers.  My thoughts were that Malzahn's system can make just about any half way accurate QB look incredible and I think we saw it with Todd last year.  I still believe he's going to get better and better as the season progresses as long as he learns to go through his progressions and not lock in on one receiver.

Not trying to sound like I know what the hell I'm talking about with the "Going through progressions" thing.  Just trying to say he appears to be focusing on one target when numerous times, it appears that there are guys wide open around him.  That will come with time I suppose.  I would imagine that's something Corch GM drills him on.  But then, the next D1 college football game I Corch will be my first.

On the other side of the ball, The Chin said (For the 2nd game out of 3) that they were scheming on the run.  Had no idea what Clemson would run and had to adjust.  If that's the case, then kudos to them for seemingly making the adjustments..EXCEPT...on the screens.  Clemson could have run 82 straight screen passes and I don't think that defense would have ever figured it out.  However, I do have to ask...did they think Clemson was going to run a totally different offense than last year?  Did they have a new OC?  Is Malzahn running anything different witht he exception of the QB running more? 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »
On the other side of the ball, The Chin said (For the 2nd game out of 3) that they were scheming on the run.  Had no idea what Clemson would run and had to adjust.  If that's the case, then kudos to them for seemingly making the adjustments..EXCEPT...on the screens.  Clemson could have run 82 straight screen passes and I don't think that defense would have ever figured it out.  However, I do have to ask...did they think Clemson was going to run a totally different offense than last year?  Did they have a new OC?  Is Malzahn running anything different witht he exception of the QB running more?
I didn't really understand the having to guess what they would do on offense either. I'm sure Clemson didn't have to pull out anything special to beat their first two opponents this season, but there should be film from last season laying around somewhere. As long as Dabo is the coach, the offense really isn't going to change a whole lot. I know Napier is their OC, but Dabo pretty much calls the plays.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
I would love to see the stats on the number of screens Clemson ran Saturday night.  Have no idea why they ever ran anything else.  With the exception of Antoine Carter batting one up in the air (Then suddenly becoming a paraplegic and crumpling to the ground) it looked like they never had a clue on recognizing it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
Here are my thoughts on the game:

1) ACC refs suck.  Horribly.

2) We actually fucking HUDDLED UP!?!?!  Fuck me.

3) Our LBs were owned all night.  Bynes had a decent night, but he outsides were wide open.  They looked like the keystone kops at some points, running into each other.

4) Cam has poor touch on the short balls.  Constantly overthrowing the short out/flat routes.

5) The Clemson RBs are very good.  Ellington and Harper will make lots of teams look poor this year.  That layout catch of Harper's was fucking BEAUTIFUL.

6) What a hard-hitting game.  Without the physicality of our defense, we lose this one.  The Clemson receivers were scared to be hit late in the game, and that contributed to some crucial drops.  Also, after McNeil stuck him in the back, Parker was a completely different QB.

7) Great rally for our team.  It was great to see Cam leading them on the sideline and taking charge.  24 unanswered is a strong rally from the poor start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
Here are my thoughts on the game:

1) ACC refs suck.  Horribly.

Actually gotta disagree with you here, outside of the pass interference.  I thought they called a pretty decent game.

Everything else though
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:19:59 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum