Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Farve to Retire

Ogre

Farve to Retire
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »
Agent: Packers QB Brett Favre will retire after 17 seasons
By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Brett Favre has decided to retire from the NFL after 17 seasons.

FOX Sports first reported Tuesday that the Green Bay Packers quarterback informed the team in the last few days. ESPN.com said that according to Favre’s agent the quarterback told coach Mike McCarthy of his decision.

The team did not immediately confirm or deny the report. An assistant to Packers general manager Ted Thompson said he was in meetings all day but would release a statement later Tuesday morning.

The news was a surprise to at least one of Favre’s teammates. Most players expected Favre to return after a successful 2007 season.

“I just saw it come across the TV,” Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson said, when reached on his cell phone by The Associated Press.

The 38-year-old Favre, a three-time NFL MVP and one of the NFL’s grittiest players, has made his annual flirtation with retirement a winter tradition in Wisconsin. He has taken weeks and even months to make his decision after recent seasons, with Cheeseheads hanging on his every word.

But unlike the final game of the 2006 season—when Favre provided a cliffhanger by getting choked up in a television interview as he walked off the field in Chicago, only to return once again—nearly everyone assumed he would be back this time. They were wrong.

Only two years removed from perhaps his worst season, Favre had a resurgence in 2007. He broke several career records. Among them was Dan Marino’s career mark for career touchdown passes. He powered the Packers to an NFC North title and a 13-3 regular-season record and earned his ninth Pro Bowl spot.

Surrounded by an underrated group of wide receivers who proved hard to tackle after the catch, Favre had a career-high completion percentage of 66.5. He threw for 4,155 yards, 28 touchdowns and only 15 interceptions.

It was a remarkable turnaround from 2005, Favre’s final season under former head coach Mike Sherman, when he threw a career-worst 29 interceptions as the Packers went 4-12.

Given Favre’s career resurgence, it was widely assumed that he was leaning toward returning for the 2008 season.

He even said as much just before the Packers’ Jan. 12 divisional playoff game against Seattle, telling his hometown newspaper that he wasn’t approaching the game as if it would be his last and was more optimistic than in years past about returning.

“For the first time in three years, I haven’t thought this could be my last game,” Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald. “I would like to continue longer.”

Those comments sent premature shock waves across the state—all the way up to the governor’s office, where the political version of a false start was committed.

“Like all Packer fans, I am thrilled that Brett Favre will return to action next year for the green and gold,” Gov. Jim Doyle said in a statement. “Brett Favre’s tremendous work ethic and willingness to go out and play hard every day represent the true spirit of Wisconsin. I am hopeful that with this announcement behind us, Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers can focus on the task at hand: defeating the Seattle Seahawks.”

The governor’s office later amended the statement to say Doyle was “excited to hear Brett Favre talking about returning to action next year.”

It was another example of the state’s fascination with the future of its favorite quarterback.

Favre then finished the season on a sour note, suddenly showing his age in the Packers’ 23-20 overtime loss to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship game.

Favre struggled in subzero temperatures, throwing an interception on the Packers’ second play from scrimmage in overtime to set up the Giants’ game-winning field goal.

After that game, Favre was noncommittal on his future. McCarthy said he wanted Favre to take a step back from the season before making a decision. But it was widely assumed he would be back.

“I think he’s going to come back,” Packers receiver Donald Driver said in early January. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes back. He’s having a great year, so it’d be great to see him come back if he decides to.”

Retiring Packers chairman Bob Harlan figured Favre would be back, too.

“Yeah, I think he’ll be back,” Harlan said, on his final official day as the Packers’ top executive. “And I felt that way the last couple years, when we’ve had these long debates about it. I just think he’s such a competitor that as long as he feels he can compete, he’s going to keep coming back.”

Still, in the week leading to the playoff game against Seattle, Favre said his injuries were starting to linger.

“I’m not getting any younger,” Favre said. “I wake up some days and think I can’t even touch my toes. I think about that. I think, well, next year is not going to be like some refreshing, awakening season where all of a sudden you’re going to feel great. That’s not going to happen.

“I carry some of these things with me that maybe you wouldn’t see. I tend to dwell on them, at least internally, more than I used to. I don’t write them off as quickly as I used to.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Farve to Retire
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »
One of the top 5 Qb's to ever play the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:50:57 PM »
One of the top 5 Qb's to ever play the game.

And...he's made wearing Wranglers cool again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »

Wearing Wranglers has never been cool unless you were on the the Rodeo circuit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »
Yeah, but he's one tough customer who knows what he likes when he sees it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
Yeah, but he's one tough customer who knows what he likes when he sees it.

I know he liked whipping our ass while he was at Southern Miss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:13:43 PM »
You know, the guy's a multi-quadrillionaire.  You'd think he could afford a box of Just For Men and comb out that gray.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »
Just like Prince made wearing assless chaps cool again.  (And it is cool - actually quite breezy)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:52:44 AM »
Just like Prince made wearing assless chaps cool again.  (And it is cool - actually quite breezy)
I look smokin' hot in assless chaps. :vn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 07:12:33 PM »
Led the Golden Eagles to victory against us after suffering a near fatal car wreck the previous week.

Bret Favre is the 3rd toughest son-of-a-bitch ever to walk the earth. Right behind Bill Brasky and Chuck Norris.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »
Favre is retiring???? Holy shit!!! Why hasn't there been anything on the news...or SportsCenter...or ESPN Radio???? I had no idea...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »
Who in the hell is Brett Fav-re?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:00:04 PM »
It's a new cologne from Channel.

Fav-re...every man's fantasy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Ogre

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 09:13:44 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
Leave it to Rick "on my knees" Karle to turn back to back stories about Favre retiring into Bammer pep rallies.  First it was Gene Stallings, then Bart Starr.

Hey Rick,  :fu:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 09:47:55 AM »
I know he liked whipping our ass while he was at Southern Miss.

I tried my best to hate Favre, but couldn't.  I was in the stands the day we kicked four field goals and he led them back for a late TD to ruin homecoming.  I wanted so bad to hate him....

But I couldn't.  Admired the guy's tenacity.

That was the day my wife became an Auburn fan.  She was born and raised into a Bryant-worshipping family. She grudgingly went to that game.  As we were leaving she watched the Auburn fans interact with each other and with the Southern Miss fans.  We congratulated them and they us.  We still greeted each other with War Eagles. She was puzzled that there wasn't any complaining, people weren't screaming at each other and cursing the team and the coach, we weren't throwing things at the Southern Miss fans or flipping them off. She understood for the first time what the term "Auburn family" meant.  And she turned right then and there.  We left Auburn with her in possession of her first Auburn shirt.  She's 100% one of us now. Can't believe she was ever one of them.  

But that was a long time ago.  I don't know that the same attitude exists at Auburn any more. David Housel is shoved aside.  We've got Bamma-holes in orange and blue clothing like David fucKing Ward running around and thinking they have the right to speak for Auburn when they are completely clueless about what it truly means to be an Auburn man.  Merely attending school there does not qualify you.  We've also got tons of bandwagoners like PCChamp -- who admittedly chose Auburn in 2004 because the football team was doing well. He also presumes to lecture people on how the Auburn family should act.  I guess we've gotten spoiled.  The days when we could shrug off a loss to Southern Miss and still enjoy being in Auburn with Auburn people have been replaced.  We're not David Housel's small-town charm and friendliness, we're Jay Jacobs' pompadour pomposity.  Toomer's isn't a friendly corner drug store, it's a merchandising vehicle.  We've got a segment of the fanbase -- again heavily populated with former Bammers -- pledging loyalty to a MAN rather than the team, which if you think about it is how they grew up anyway. It's all they know.  I love Auburn. Always will.  I'm not so sure I like what it's becoming, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »
I was in the stands that day. I sat and marveled at how one guy could be as tough as that and almost single-handedly will his team past us. The only other time I saw that type of determination was when we played UF and the mustache QB (can't think of his name right now, Kerwin Bell?) for them just got pummeled and kept getting up and coming back for more. The difference is that Favre continued for almost 20 years and almost 300 consecutive games. The other guy never started in the NFL.

Phenomenal career. And it was only a couple of years ago that most folks said he should just retire. That he was washed up.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:53:02 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »
I was in the stands that day. I sat and marveled at how one guy could be as tough as that and almost single-handedly will his team past us. The only other time I saw that type of determination was when we played UF and the mustache QB (can't think of his name right now, Kerwin Bell?) for them just got pummeled and kept getting up and coming back for more. The difference is that Favre continued for almost 20 years and almost 300 consecutive games. The other guy never started in the NFL.

Phenomenal career. And it was only a couple of years ago that most folks said he should just retire. That he was washed up.
You're correct. It was Kerwin Bell (aka the throwin' Mayoan). He limped into the endzone dragging a bum leg to win the game against us in the Swamp in '86 or so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »
Who in the hell is Brett Fav-re?
I'm in town to play the Dolphins, you dumb ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 02:07:28 AM »
I tried my best to hate Favre, but couldn't.  I was in the stands the day we kicked four field goals and he led them back for a late TD to ruin homecoming.  I wanted so bad to hate him....

But I couldn't.  Admired the guy's tenacity.

That was the day my wife became an Auburn fan.  She was born and raised into a Bryant-worshipping family. She grudgingly went to that game.  As we were leaving she watched the Auburn fans interact with each other and with the Southern Miss fans.  We congratulated them and they us.  We still greeted each other with War Eagles. She was puzzled that there wasn't any complaining, people weren't screaming at each other and cursing the team and the coach, we weren't throwing things at the Southern Miss fans or flipping them off. She understood for the first time what the term "Auburn family" meant.  And she turned right then and there.  We left Auburn with her in possession of her first Auburn shirt.  She's 100% one of us now. Can't believe she was ever one of them.  

But that was a long time ago.  I don't know that the same attitude exists at Auburn any more. David Housel is shoved aside.  We've got Bamma-holes in orange and blue clothing like David fucKing Ward running around and thinking they have the right to speak for Auburn when they are completely clueless about what it truly means to be an Auburn man.  Merely attending school there does not qualify you.  We've also got tons of bandwagoners like PCChamp -- who admittedly chose Auburn in 2004 because the football team was doing well. He also presumes to lecture people on how the Auburn family should act.  I guess we've gotten spoiled.  The days when we could shrug off a loss to Southern Miss and still enjoy being in Auburn with Auburn people have been replaced.  We're not David Housel's small-town charm and friendliness, we're Jay Jacobs' pompadour pomposity.  Toomer's isn't a friendly corner drug store, it's a merchandising vehicle.  We've got a segment of the fanbase -- again heavily populated with former Bammers -- pledging loyalty to a MAN rather than the team, which if you think about it is how they grew up anyway. It's all they know.  I love Auburn. Always will.  I'm not so sure I like what it's becoming, though.
Why dont you write more? I enjoy the hell out of your stories!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions