Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Brisquet or Brisket

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Brisquet or Brisket
« on: August 06, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
Alright you BBQ afficienados.  What's the word on this cut?  For some reason, it's not popular down here and I can't honestly say I've ever tried it.  However, Adam Richman can make eating a bite fresh off the pit look purely orgasmic.  Does the term refer exclusively to beef or is that a pork cut as well?  Do any of you cook it and what's the best way? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Brisquet or Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
All animals have a brisket. It's located in the lower chest. I have only seen or heard as it referred to as a beef brisket.  Sam's may be your best bet if you want to buy one.  All the groceries stores in my area (North AL) carry it about once a year, but Sam's always has it in stock.   There are two parts to a brisket.  The flat, which is exactly that, the flat part and the point which is more of the fat end.   

The only way I cook mine is to place it on the counter with the fat cap up.  I trim the fat cap down to approx a quarter inch.  I then slather it with spicy mustard and apply my dry rub.  I cook it on the smoker for approx 5 to 6 hours until it hits 160 degrees.  I then take it off and double wrap in heavy duty foil and pour a splash of apple juice in the foil.  I will leave it on for about another 5 to 6 hours until it hits an internal temp of 195.  I pull the brisket (still in the foil) wrap it in a towel and place it in a cooler for a couple of hours and then slice it up. 

HINT: The foil will speed up the cooking time.  I try to keep my cooking temp at 230 to 240.  In the heat of the summer, it can take me 12 to 14 hours.  In the winter I have cooked as long as 18 hours.  A lot of the time will depend on the elements.

Dry Rub for 10 to 12 lb brisket:

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin

Good site: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/virtualbrisket.html

Make sure and click on the pictures to see what they are talking about and also click on the hyperlinks.

The main thing to remember is to cook like you are making love to a beautiful woman......long, slow and steady.  Oh and have teh bourbons on hand to sip on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

chinook

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:18:13 PM »
it's not a cut exclusive to beef; however, when most people say brisket they are referring to beef.  pork brisket to my understanding is the picnic cut.  

the brisket should have good fat content (i.e. marbling).  you want to make sure the fat cap has not been removed.  i bbq beef brisket using a pellet fed smoker.  cook temperature between 250 and 275.  the last brisket i did weighed about 8lbs and took 10 hours to cook (pulled off @ 190 degrees) which was followed by wrapping it in foil and towels for placement in a cooler. it rested in the cooler for about 2 hours.  its a cut that does better cooked at lower temperatures for a great duration.

after resting, i slice it.  serve it with a bbq sauce for sandwiches or alone.  

there are tons of different rubs, mops and sauces.  perhaps, one of the better bbq'ers on this board would share.  i've stolen mine from teh googles.

i prefer doing pulled pork over brisket.  ribs over pulled pork.

edit:  see post above. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:20:19 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:16:27 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:28:52 AM »
Alright you BBQ afficienados.  What's the word on this cut?  For some reason, it's not popular down here and I can't honestly say I've ever tried it.  However, Adam Richman can make eating a bite fresh off the pit look purely orgasmic.  Does the term refer exclusively to beef or is that a pork cut as well?  Do any of you cook it and what's the best way?

Never tried it either, but viewing Richman, and others, lately on Food and such has made me want to.  It's TX BBQ...and it's beef (when you hear it in that context.  I'm going to smoke one soon.  Just the same way I smoke a pork butt.  Dry rub similar to that one listed above.  Low and Slow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:25:46 PM »
I personally don't care if I live in Texas - the only way I eat brisket is if all the other choices of meat on the table are gone... 

BUT...

If you have leftovers, and you wish to re-heat them, here's a secret:

Slice the meat and put it in a steamer basket on the stove top, let the water below the basket come to a boil, then steam the meat until it is warmed up.  You don't want to microwave it or re-heat it in a dry oven.  To me, even what people around here think is a "juicy brisket" is already dry, so re-heating it any other way just makes it worse.  I am just a snob for pork.

Speaking of - this also works well for pork loin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:48:45 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I would go for pulled pork over anything, but there is nothing wrong with a properly done brisket.  I have ate some dry nasty brisket that I wouldn't feed to my two dogs.  Then again, I have cooked or ate some that were extremely juicy. 

One of the best ones I have ever ate, a guy took three drunk chicken stands and placed them in an aluminum pan, then set the brisket on top of the stands.  He allowed all the juice from the brisket to get caught in the pan.  He then poured some of the juice in the foil when he wrapped it.  Took the rest of the juice, boiled it on the stove top and we used it to dip our brisket in..............delicious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
Sunday, I hit the grocery store and suddenly got all quivered up thinking about some baby back ribs.  Picked up a couple of racks and rubbed them down with several spices, including a little cajun rub to kick em' up a bit.  Wrapped them in foil and just before closing them up, I drizzled teriyaki over them to keep them juicy and add a little different flava. 

275 for 2 1/2 hours and then I slapped em on the Weber with some mesquite chips smoking in the coals to finish them off.  I took Jack Daniels Brown Sugar Maple BBQ and mixed in some Frank's Hot Sauce, cinnamon and honey.  Glazed the ribs and took them off a couple of minutes later.

My family was pissed...because I only got 2 racks.  Not the long, slow, professional cooking you guys know how to do, but damn..there's no place around here that has anything better. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
this is what i do with ribs..9 out of 10 times i'll buy baby back ribs.

i'll trim the ribs and remove the back membrane. 

rub and rest overnight...

white pepper
cayenne pepper
black pepper
kosher salt
brown sugar
celery salt
cinnamon
garlic powder
dry mustard
possibly something else.

turn on the pellet pooper.  typically, i use hickory pellets.  i try to maintain bbq @ 250 degrees.

cook un-foiled for 2 hrs.  i spritz occasionally with apricot and pineapple juice. 

remove and foil.  in the foil i pour apricot and pineapple juice along with some fresh minced garlic.  cook for 2 hours.

remove and cook un-foiled for 30 minutes to 1 hour.  at this time i lather the ribs with a bbq sauce. 

those times are approximate.  i try not to cook my ribs were they fall off the bone. 

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:06:25 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 03:30:36 PM »
I saw an Adam Richman Man vs. Food talking about how ribs should be cooked.  Not falling off the bone but easily pulled off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »
I personally don't care if I live in Texas - the only way I eat brisket is if all the other choices of meat on the table are gone... 

To me, even what people around here think is a "juicy brisket" is already dry, so re-heating it any other way just makes it worse.  I am just a snob for pork.

I love you
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 10:13:37 AM »
I saw an Adam Richman Man vs. Food talking about how ribs should be cooked.  Not falling off the bone but easily pulled off.
That show is awesome.  He is funny and the food looks amazing.   Bet he dies young tho with all the crap he packs in his body.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »
I love you
Well, aren't you sweet...

Of course any good Southern woman worth her salt would feel the same way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 10:37:41 AM »
Well, aren't you sweet...

Of course any good Southern woman worth her salt would feel the same way.

Actually, I love pork. But you are right. Pretty much any part of the pig outside the hocks are tender and dont require cooking it all day for it to be good like certain parts of a cow require. I don't hate beef - in fact both of my grandfathers had cattle farms in Southern AL and GA. I learned a ton about the animal in the process and the meat. Hint: Purely letting a cow feed off grass/hay will result in a much better cut of beef and much more tender meat. Organic beef is typically grass fed. Corn fed cattle will result in a tougher cut, but it fattens/muscles up the cow to fetch more at slaughter. It has no benefit other than to get more money in your pocket as a farmer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »

The meat on ribs should "offer a little resistance".  "Falling off the bone" has been overcooked...cooked to mush.  It's meat...you should have to chew it a little.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »
The meat on ribs should "offer a little resistance".  "Falling off the bone" has been overcooked...cooked to mush.  It's meat...you should have to chew it a little.

In competition the judges will tell you that they want it tender enough that when you bite in to the middle of the rib, that you should be able to pull the meat away from the bone cleanly with a light tug, and that you should see your bite ring.  Anything more than that is overcooked and anything less is undercooked.  Their is a fine line and sometimes it is hard to hit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
Okay, favorite side with the ribs.  Beans?  Slaw?  Fries?

My wife does one of those "Crunchy Cole Slaws" that absolutely blows me away.  The other night, we had a fish fry and she made that slaw.  I ate nothing but 2 plates of the slaw.  Not sure of the whole recipe but I know it's got

Angel Hair Slaw
Romaine Noodles
Almond Slivers
Sunflower Seeds
I believe it soaks in balsamic vinegar.

Mmmmmm...Mmm...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
I love potato salad as a side more than anything.  The wife makes a few different variations, all of which are great.  I love some slaw too.  Preferably hot slaw or mustard slaw.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 04:26:28 PM »
Whilst I am in the sharing mood ( I found these online), here are two of my favorite slaw recipes:  They are delicious!

Mustard:
SLAW:
1 cabbage, coarsely grated
1 carrot, finely grated
1 sweet onion, minced
3 green onions, minced
1 medium sized dill pickle, minced

DRESSING:
1 garlic clove pulverized with a 3/4 tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup dill pickle juice
1/8 cup vinegar
2 tbsp mustard
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 tbsp. celery seed
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper

1. Combine cabbage, carrot, onions and dill pickle in a large mixing bowl.

2. Whisk together mayonnaise and buttermilk. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until uniform.

3. Pour over cabbage mixture and incorporate.

4.Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 24 hours, allowing time for the flavors to blend, soften and pickle the veggies, and generally thicken up.

Hot Slaw

Veggie Ingredients
2 cups   - Grated green cabbage
2 Tbs    - Grated carrot
1 Tbs    - Grated onion
1 Tbs    - Grated green pepper (no seeds or membrane)

Sauce Ingredients
1/4 tsp  - Paprika
1/2 tsp  - Red cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp  - Salt (non-iodized)
1/4 cup  - Sugar
1 Tbs    - Goya/Crystal hot sauce (or similar)
2 Tbs    - Ketchup
4 Tbs    - Prepared yellow mustard (like French's)
1/4 cup  - White vinegar (add last, stir-in)
1/4 cup  - Apple cider vinegar (add last, stir-in)

1.Add dry sauce ingredients to a medium sized pot and mix well.  Stir in the ketchup and mustard until well blended and paste-like. Stir in the vinegar a little at a time to avoid clumping.
NOTE: The cayenne and hot sauce can be adjusted to whatever level of heat that you prefer.

2.Heat up to just short of boiling while stirring occasionally. This will blend and bring out the flavor of the spices.

3.Remove from heat and let cool a little while you grate the veggies.

4.Grate the veggie ingredients. Put the grated veggie ingredients into a pint-size container with a lid that can seal.

5.Pour sauce over the veggies and stir well. It may seem like there's not enough sauce for all the veggies, but once stirred well it should cover everything.

6.Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 24 hours, allowing time for the flavors to blend, soften and pickle the veggies, and generally thicken up.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »
lately, i've accompanied my bbq with a thai peanut slaw.  all around tasty, but the best part about the slaw is the cilantro.

along with pulled pork and slaw i'll throw in some kettle chips and a pickle. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions