• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
"If Chizik Played It Any Cooler, We'd All Get Frostbite"
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/07/scarbinsky_chizik_doesnt_chang.html
Scarbinsky: If Chizik played it any cooler, we'd all get frostbite
Published: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 5:30 AM
Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News

The Iceman cometh. (The Birmingham News / Mark Almond)

Was it me, or did the already Arctic room temperature in Wynfrey Ballrooms A&B drop from "where's my hoodie" to a textbook case of hypothermia Friday morning when Gene Chizik walked through the door?

Say this about the Auburn football coach:

The man is chill.

During his second appearance at SEC Media Days, Chizik managed to deliver an opening statement almost as long as a State of the Union address and answer more questions than a BP spokesman -- all without giving away a thing.

He didn't make us laugh, like Derek Dooley, or scratch our heads, like Les Miles. He did make us contemplate the world record for public speaking without changing expression or inflection. Idea for SEC Media Days 2011: Let Chizik write his own speech. Let Robbie Caldwell deliver it.

Chizik's performance as Mr. Freeze may seem like a bad thing to a room full of reporters looking for "pimps and predators," but there's nothing boring about consistency to the Auburn football program.

It's actually a novel concept on the Plain.

Who knew that you could have the same entire coaching staff -- coordinators included; egad! -- for two straight seasons?

Or that the fan base could sleep at night from the bowl game to fall camp without tossing and turning over whispers that the head coach might bolt for Arkansas, Miami, Texas A&M, etc.?

When's the last time you heard the Auburn football coach talk about the Auburn AD, president and trustees without scowling or smirking?

"We've got a commitment from our administration that's second to none," Chizik said. "We're all on the same page. That's a great feeling to know as a head coach."

The previous Auburn coach hadn't had that feeling in years.

That's why Year Two of this Era of Good Feeling is so important to Chizik. It's not going to make or break his career and probably won't define it, but with everyone on the same page, 2010 offers a unique opportunity to make a statement.

The offense should be better. The defense simply has to be. Atlanta may be at least one more recruiting class away, but is it too much to ask for Auburn to beat LSU, Georgia, Arkansas OR Alabama -- not and; or -- for the first time in three years?

Unless someone discovers that half the Alabama starting lineup spent the off-season hanging with Jerry Maguire wannabes, come Dec. 4, Auburn is going to reach a milestone.

The Tigers won't be in the Georgia Dome for the SEC Championship Game for the sixth straight year.

It'll be a new school record.

Consistency is part of Chizik's plan to end that drought. Twenty months in, his idea of consistency -- putting good people together and keeping them together -- is a good thing.

Because these guys are still hungry.

The time to worry will be when his staff gets so fat and happy, it starts celebrating five-loss seasons with barbecue cook-offs.

Actually, it hasn't been all that long since Auburn started two straight seasons with the identical staff. It happened in 2006 and 2007.

Trouble was, before the Tigers reached the bowl game of that second season, Tommy Tuberville -- in a classic case of career suicide -- sacked Al Borges and replaced him with Tony Franklin.

Fast forward to Friday, when Chizik used part of his opening address to tell us, "This is a long-term plan. This is a long-term vision."

Yeah, but this is major college football, where long-term stretches from commitment to signing day. How can a coach who hasn't coached the first game of his second season see a future beyond the opening of camp?

"I just think everybody's on the same page," Chizik said.

He can say that because he's met the enemy. So far, it's not the Auburn family.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: "If Chizik Played It Any Cooler, We'd All Get Frostbite"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:52:36 PM »
He's cooler than a polar bears toenails.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
Cooler than Jack Frost's balls.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »
barbecue cook-offs

Holy Drill Press Phone... It's the Commissioner!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
I am glad Chizik is here. He is nice and pleasant to the media and fan base, and seems to do things the right way. Unlike the little ass clown on the other side of the state...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »
Even if Chiz wasn't already a great guy personally, he's be Ghandi compared to that sawed off little bastard in East Vance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
I am glad Chizik is here. He is nice and pleasant to the media and fan base, and seems to do things the right way. Unlike the little ass clown on the other side of the state...
This, all of it WDE!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
You know what...I'm glad Coach Chizik is here too.   :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:04:08 PM »
I am as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:40 AM »
I am as well.

Without Chizik - 2008: UA 36  AU 0
With Chizik -     2009: UA 26  AU 21

Really? I would think you would want us to have the coach who was here when you plastered us 36-0, not the one who was less than 2 mins from beating your NC team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 10:50:38 AM »
I was livid with the hire, but was able to, if not accept him, at least accept the fact that I couldn't change it.  Since that time, Chizik has done nothing but deliver both on the field and off.  It's early yet, and the jury is still out, but anyway you slice it on the field 8-5 is a major turnaround from 5-7. A solid top 5 recruiting class that appears to be being followed up by a similar class is yet another great sign.  The fact that he's well versed in Coach-speak, and doesn't embarass Auburn University is simply icing on the cake.  Afterall, some guys that can put a good product on the field are never accepted because of what they say and act like when the mikes are in their face and the cameras rolling.  (See Kiffin and Leach for prime examples)  I'm proud that for the media to say something about what Chizik said at media days, they have to focus on what he didn't say or do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:27 AM »
I was livid with the hire, but was able to, if not accept him, at least accept the fact that I couldn't change it.  Since that time, Chizik has done nothing but deliver both on the field and off.  It's early yet, and the jury is still out, but anyway you slice it on the field 8-5 is a major turnaround from 5-7. A solid top 5 recruiting class that appears to be being followed up by a similar class is yet another great sign.  The fact that he's well versed in Coach-speak, and doesn't embarass Auburn University is simply icing on the cake.  Afterall, some guys that can put a good product on the field are never accepted because of what they say and act like when the mikes are in their face and the cameras rolling.  (See Kiffin and Leach for prime examples)  I'm proud that for the media to say something about what Chizik said at media days, they have to focus on what he didn't say or do.

I concur, agree and consent even....

Yeah - he may not make headlines, but he also doesn't make a fool of himself. He knows the politics. Cool, even keel always works well in PR circles. Let people call him cold and boring - fine with me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 02:20:43 PM »

Really? I would think you would want us to have the coach who was here when you plastered us 36-0, not the one who was less than 2 mins from beating your NC team.
Are you really saying their situations were the same? CTT didn't even have an OC. I think the 36-0 was indicitave of that. If you really think a 36-0 type score would have been the norm with CTT, you're nuts. As I told some fellow fans, that is very much the exception, not the rule. Especially seeing as how AU had owned UA for 6 years straight. I mean, Shula always managed to keep it within 7-10 points. What does that mean? That Shula and Chizik are equal?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 02:24:01 PM »
Are you really saying their situations were the same? CTT didn't even have an OC. I think the 36-0 was indicitave of that. If you really think a 36-0 type score would have been the norm with CTT, you're nuts. As I told some fellow fans, that is very much the exception, not the rule. Especially seeing as how AU had owned UA for 6 years straight. I mean, Shula always managed to keep it within 7-10 points. What does that mean? That Shula and Chizik are equal?

CTT's situation was his own doing. Sure, he had an OC- a guy named Stinkfinger. Also his own doing. Thats part of the overall job of the head coach and ultimately falls on him. In that regard and just going by the last 2 Iron Bowls, I'd rather have Chizik at this point. He has his shit more together than CTT did the last 4 years of his tenure. Not an opinion - fact.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

ibelonginprison

• Bama... As cool as AIDS
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:48:58 PM »
I love (current tense)  CTT.  But CGC brought fun back to being an Auburn Fan that I think we had been lacking the last couple of years.

I'm still sad CTT left, but I'm happy as hell that CGC took his place.  Great guy, and totally proved my first impressions of him wrong on all counts.

Three cheers and two thumbs up for Chizik.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bama fans make me want to punch babies...

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »
I love (current tense)  CTT.  But CGC brought fun back to being an Auburn Fan that I think we had been lacking the last couple of years.

I'm still sad CTT left, but I'm happy as hell that CGC took his place.  Great guy, and totally proved my first impressions of him wrong on all counts.

Three cheers and two thumbs up for Chizik.

If he has left in 2003, 2004 ir 2005 - I would have been sad. In 2008? not so much....Like JR says, it was his time and the change was needed. The product had become crappy. So yes, I would take a 2009 Chizik over a 2008 Tubs - Anyday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
Are you really saying their situations were the same? CTT didn't even have an OC. I think the 36-0 was indicitave of that. If you really think a 36-0 type score would have been the norm with CTT, you're nuts. As I told some fellow fans, that is very much the exception, not the rule. Especially seeing as how AU had owned UA for 6 years straight. I mean, CTT always managed to keep it within 7-10 points. What does that mean? That Shula and Chizik are equal?

Let's give credit where credit is due.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »
If he has left in 2003, 2004 ir 2005 - I would have been sad. In 2008? not so much....Like JR says, it was his time and the change was needed. The product had become crappy. So yes, I would take a 2009 Chizik over a 2008 Tubs - Anyday.

Loved me some Tubs when he was hitting his stride, respect what he did, but his time came and went.  The man signed his own pink slip with the Franklin debacle (whether he was fired or resigned), and really had set the table for it before that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »

Yes, a blowout is not fun for anyone. I want an allbarn team that can compete with my beloved Tide.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 09:22:24 AM »
Yes, a blowout is not fun for anyone. I want an allbarn team that can compete with my beloved Tide.

Something tells me you actually mean that.... :bar:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE