Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Remember

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Remember
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
today eight years ago and all the feelings you had.  The world in respect to how most Americans view it changed completely.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Remember
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:44:12 AM »
Mr. Sheen says it's all a conspiracy.

Question...I think we've talked about this before but...where were you when you found out about the attacks?

I was pulling into the Law School parking lot and listening to, of all things, sports talk radio. John and Barry in Montgomery.  Just as I pulled in, they were going off the air and I remember John Longshore saying something to the effect of just getting word that a plane had hit the WTC.  No more info.  My thought as I got out of the car was there was some crazy pilot error and here was another daily tragedy that we've grown accustomed to in the news.

Walked in school and everyone was gathered around a TV in the library and from that point on...it was a weird, eerie kind of day.  I'll never forget driving home that night and the lines at the gas station and sense of panic everywhere.  I was also real eager to get home.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:45:28 AM by Harvey Birdman »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:08:32 AM »
Was in outside sales based in Birmingham at the time.  Was already on the road to see customers in North Alabama when my oldest brother called me and filled me in.  I rarely listened to the radio while on the road.  Usually did books on tape.  Turned around, headed home, and spent the entire day on the phone and in front of the tv.

Tried to re-enlist in the Corps a week later.  They politely told me to take my old ass home.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:13:25 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »
Was in outside sales in Birmingham at the time.  Was already on the road to see customers in North Alabama when my oldest brother called me and filled me in.  I rarely listened to the radio while on the road.  Usually did books on tape.  Turned around, headed home, and spent the entire day on the phone and in front of the tv.

Tried to re-enlist in the Corps a week later.  They told me to take my old ass home.
"I thought this was America!!!@$#@, rabble rabble."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
"I thought this was America!!!@$#@, rabble rabble."

"It'll be like 911 times 100. 91100"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:25:45 AM »
I was in Aberdeen, Scotland, on business.  It was late in the day, and I was sitting at my desk working when one of my office mates walked in and asked where the World Trade Center was.  I said which one?  There are World Trade Centers in Dallas, and New Orleans and other cities, but the big one is in New York - why was he asking?  He said a plane just flew into the one in New York.  Like Steve, I immediately thought "Oh, what a horrible accident!" and kept working.  About five minutes later, he came back in with a strange look on his face and asked me "Are there two of them?"  It took me a minute to figure out what he was saying, and then I realized that the world had just changed.  I managed to call my parents and they confirmed everything.  I remember hearing my mom’s voice shake.

Someone drove me back to my hotel and I spent the rest of the day in front of the TV.  What most Americans don't realize is that once something is shown live, all replays are then edited to get rid of the most horrible stuff.  So unless you were watching live, most likely you did not see the video footage of people jumping out of the towers.  However, the tabloid media in the UK have no such compunction. It's like they took the worst of the worst and put it on constant repeat.  It was terrible.  I was desperate for information, the internet had crashed, the phone lines weren't working, and all I had was SkyNews and their version of CNN.  And on every channel, people were falling.   I can still to this day close my eyes and see that man and woman falling to their deaths, holding hands, the man's tie fluttering up in the wind.  In the paper the next day, a 24 page, full color special insert of pictures - and the man and woman were on the cover.  

I got very very drunk on Thursday night.

I flew back to London on Friday, not sure if I was going to be able to get home on my regular flight on Saturday.  Everywhere I went in London, people were so kind once they learned I was an American.  I saw the line outside the American Embassy where people were queued up all the way around two blocks to sign the Book of Condolences.  The outpouring of sympathy was at times overwhelming.

I arrived at Gatwick Airport early on Saturday – nine hours ahead of my afternoon flight.  We had been warned that security would be intense, and to expect delays.  I wanted nothing more than to get back home, so I complied with every demand, request and order.  We were searched no less than four times between check in and actually boarding the plane – and I do mean searched – everything short of total nudity.  We opened and reopened our bags.  Sharp-eyed men in uniform with very large guns were everywhere. Papers were checked and checked again.  And no one complained – until we got to the last search line before boarding the plane.  

The passengers for the Houston flight were lined up in the hall, and were patted down one more time before being placed in a glass enclosed holding room prior to boarding.  The line was single file until it got toward the front, where it split into men and women (for pat down purposes).  The line for men was moving much faster than the line for women, because there were three male security guards and only one female.  So these two snotty rich bitches thought they would just continue to stand in line with their husbands until they got to the front and then “Whoops!  My mistake!” and just “slip over” to the front of the women’s line.  

What they did not count on was me being at the front of that line when they got there.  

I had seen what they were doing from the get go, and was not about to tolerate it.  I was stressed, angry, sad, worried, scared and looking for a fight.  So when they sashayed on over to get in front of me, without even an apology, the little security lady tried to say no, but they said “Oh, but we are in first class.”  My comment?  “Too bad.  You knew damn good and well that this line was splitting up and you chose to try and buck the system.  So get to the back of the line and wait your turn like everyone else has been doing for the last hour!”  They stuttered and huffed and “Well, I never!”’d and then one goes “But we are in first class!” and I said “Then ACT LIKE YOU DESERVE TO BE THERE.”  They stormed off, making disparaging comments about me and my parentage… but damned if they didn’t go to the back of the line.  They were the last ones on the plane.  I was in the holding rooms with their husbands, and one of them pointed to me and said something to the other one.  I wonder if it wasn’t something like “That chick has a bigger set of balls than we do…” cause they both sure as hell were whipped.

So we got on board and took off, and it was the most tense flight I have ever been on.  Everyone was incredibly puckered.  If someone had so much as sneezed wrong, they would have been beaten down in an instant.  When the plane finally touched down in Houston ten hours later, we all cheered, clapped and some of us (me) cried.  I cried again when I got out of the concourse and saw Carl.  And I wasn’t the only one happy to be home.

Personally, I am disappointed that we have not bombed that entire section of the world to oblivion.  Those mountains on the border with Pakistan should be nothing more than the world’s largest gravel pit.  And for our so called “Leader” to be kowtowing to those bastards is disgusting.  

Never Forget.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
I was in my Senior year at Auburn, walking from my Intermediate Accounting class over to my 8:00 am Investments class when I overheard a guy in the hallway say something about a plane hitting the WTC.  Like Birdman, I thought it was some crazy pilot error.  

My Investments professor came in to class, told us that class was cancelled and to go home and watch the news.  He was visibly shaken.  I turned on the radio in the car and headed back to the apartment.  As I was turning in I heard the first tower fall.  I ran upstairs and saw the second tower fall on TV.  I woke up my roomate (Thrilla), told him he needed to come see what was going on.  He came out, watched about 2 minutes, scratched is balls, grunted and went back to bed.  I had always suspected that he was a terrorist sympathizer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:33:05 AM »
I was in my Senior year at Auburn, walking from my Intermediate Accounting class over to my 8:00 am Investments class when I overheard a guy in the hallway say something about a plane hitting the WTC.  Like Birdman, I thought it was some crazy pilot error.  

My Investments professor came in to class, told us that class was cancelled and to go home and watch the news.  He was visibly shaken.  I turned on the radio in the car and headed back to the apartment.  As I was turning in I heard the first tower fall.  I ran upstairs and saw the second tower fall on TV.  I woke up my roomate (Thrilla), told him he needed to come see what was going on.  He came out, watched about 2 minutes, scratched is balls, grunted and went back to bed.  I had always suspected that he was a terrorist sympathizer.
Afghanistan is in Asia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 10:49:58 AM »
Here's one of the best blog commentaries I have read today:

when everyone else was running out, some ran in

You should click over for the pictures if nothing else.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:05:44 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »

When everyone ran out, others ran in...

Link does not work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
Link does not work.

Fixed it, sorry.  I am teh sux at teh linkies...

when everyone else was running out, some ran in

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:06:27 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »
Fixed it, sorry.  I am teh sux at teh linkies...

Very nice.

Side note.

The picture to the left with the german shepherd behind the scope is my best freind for the Corps and his dog.  Gonna send it to him right now.  He is not teh best on teh ebays either and will find it humorous that it's being posted by others.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:22:40 AM »
Very nice.

Side note.

The picture to the left with the german shepherd behind the scope is my best freind for the Corps and his dog.  Gonna send it to him right now.  He is not teh best on teh ebays either and will find it humorous that it's being posted by others.
Too funny - small world!  You would really like this guy's blog - he is a semi-retired cop, retired only because he lost his leg in the line of duty when an old woman hit his motorcycle with her car.  He has a prosthetic, and runs marathons and stuff.  He moonlights for some local police training schools, usually as OpFor, and LOVES GUNS.  Lagniappe, his dog, is a wash-out from K-9 school, and is too cool.  The guy lives in Harper's Ferry and has no use for liberals, anti-gun people, liberals, and liberals...  my kind of American.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
watching the 5:30 a.m. news before leaving to work.  @ 5:50-ish they broke the news.  i left to work listening to the radio's coverage of the other 2 crashes.  at work,  i continued listening to the radio throughout the entire day.

(my most vivid memory) while at a job site talking to the foreman,  both of us looked up in a sky of silence and no contrails to be seen.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »
(my most vivid memory) while at a job site talking to the foreman,  both of us looked up in a sky of silence and no contrails to be seen. 
That flight from Gatwick to Houston that I was on was one of the first flights allowed back in. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 11:33:25 AM »
That flight from Gatwick to Houston that I was on was one of the first flights allowed back in. 

a friend, who is a delta pilot, was in route to lax or sfo (don't remember) on 9/11.  air traffic control re-routed their flight plan to las vegas for immediate landing. they didn't not tell him why, just land. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
 What most Americans don't realize is that once something is shown live, all replays are then edited to get rid of the most horrible stuff.  So unless you were watching live, most likely you did not see the video footage of people jumping out of the towers.  However, the tabloid media in the UK have no such compunction. It's like they took the worst of the worst and put it on constant repeat.  It was terrible.  

"They took all the footage off my T.V.
Said it's too disturbing for you and me
It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say
If it was up to me I'd show it everyday"   - Artist: Worley Darryl - Song: Have You Forgotten?

I saw it live. Working form home and the wife calls me into the other room. We watched it unfold. It needs to be shown every day to every American. It should breed anger. It should remind us that a whole group of people out there hate us and want us dead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
"They took all the footage off my T.V.
Said it's too disturbing for you and me
It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say
If it was up to me I'd show it everyday"   - Artist: Worley Darryl - Song: Have You Forgotten?

I saw it live. Working form home and the wife calls me into the other room. We watched it unfold. It needs to be shown every day to every American. It should breed anger. It should remind us that a whole group of people out there hate us and want us dead.
I don't want this to be a debate, or take anything away from the point of today, but we should not try to breed anger.  That is exactly what extremists do and it solves nothing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »
I was eating a bowl of delicious cinnamon toast crunch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »
I was working with a group of graphic artists putting my ads together for the weeks run in the newspaper.  I worked at the Middle Georgia Newspaper Group at the time, and I remember one of the guys coming in from the breakroom and saying that a plane had hit one of the towers.  A few of us went in to check it out on the TV, and while thinking it was horrible, were more interested in seeing what the tower looked like....  My mom called me at my desk as I left the breakroom, and as we talked, she gasped and said that she just watched a second plane hit the other tower.  Like many others, I told her I loved her, hung up, went to watch and realized we were now at war.

I spent the rest of the day helping get a special edition out, and distributed all over town.  I never left the building for two days.  The paper fed us and offered us places to sleep.  It was an incredible few days for sure.

I was pretty fired up being only two years removed from active duty.  However, because of my knee surgery I was declared unable to re-enlist.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions