Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The World Has Gone Nuttz

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
The World Has Gone Nuttz
« on: March 13, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
So, I come in this morning and I haven't even sat down when one of my employees comes in and asks if we have made contingent plans for her if the public schools close down because of the Coronas.  She has a young kid in school and claims she'd be the only one to keep him.  Not what she said 8 months ago when we hired her.  She said she had several options to keep her kid if something happened.  We found out later that her former employer wasn't going to keep her because she was constantly taking off for one thing or another.  I confronted her with that and she claims she has no one to keep her kid.  That ain't true.  Bottom line, she's asking for paid leave time when she has none accrued.

No sooner than she walks out, another one walks in and almost makes a "demand".  We have one lady out who took this week to go and stay with her sister in Belize.  Her sister lives there and she makes that trip annually.  This employee said we are "all in agreement" that we don't want her back until she quarantines herself for two weeks.  Mind you two things, no one has any reason to believe this lady on her trip has any symptoms whatsoever.  Second, the employee telling me this, was out all day yesterday with a grandchild who had the flu, yet she came right back in here today. 

Let's just say that after some discussion this morning, there will most likely be some personnel changes at the ole firm next week. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: The World Has Gone Nuttz
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 10:54:48 AM »
So, I come in this morning and I haven't even sat down when one of my employees comes in and asks if we have made contingent plans for her if the public schools close down because of the Coronas.  She has a young kid in school and claims she'd be the only one to keep him.  Not what she said 8 months ago when we hired her.  She said she had several options to keep her kid if something happened.  We found out later that her former employer wasn't going to keep her because she was constantly taking off for one thing or another.  I confronted her with that and she claims she has no one to keep her kid.  That ain't true.  Bottom line, she's asking for paid leave time when she has none accrued.

No sooner than she walks out, another one walks in and almost makes a "demand".  We have one lady out who took this week to go and stay with her sister in Belize.  Her sister lives there and she makes that trip annually.  This employee said we are "all in agreement" that we don't want her back until she quarantines herself for two weeks.  Mind you two things, no one has any reason to believe this lady on her trip has any symptoms whatsoever.  Second, the employee telling me this, was out all day yesterday with a grandchild who had the flu, yet she came right back in here today.

Let's just say that after some discussion this morning, there will most likely be some personnel changes at the ole firm next week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »
Here, one of the analysts sent a carefully and very nicely worded email asking our CIO about our contingency plans, with spring break coming up and people traveling.  He asked about the possibility of telecommuting (since we all have VPN access for when they need us at night and over the weekends) and a few other rational and legitimate concerns going forward.

Well, the CIO's answer was that we don't allow telecommuting and that if he had a real worry about working around a lot of people, we could set him up at a satellite courthouse with less employees.

Local Gubmints are marching headstrong into the 20th Century!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »
I had a customer cancel a VIDEO CONFERENCE yesterday.  They were concerned about possible infection.  

I called my primary contact there and she said she was concerned that people using their computers could be susceptible to contact infections.  I asked how that was different than a phone conference and her rationale was that they could use their phones without touching anything.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
20% of this is real concern.  The other 76% is employees wanting paid time off.  We're a mom and pop firm.  We have 5 employees and bend over backwards to give them extra time off for little emergencies or events.  If one needs to run home real quick because of this or that....no problem.  We've given paid time off countless times for true emergencies.  Right now, we're seeing the true side of them and a total lack of loyalty. I'm ready to fire the whole lot of em' and start over. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 11:58:23 AM »
When you hire someone, you are responsible for helping to maintain this employee. Their family, health and lifestyle are important to a QUALITY employer. Not so much to a fly by the seat of your pants, low rent law practice. Obviously.

Ironic that someone in the so called “law” field would complain about something that is a result of the frivolous and ambulance chasing tactics of their very own actions.

Man up and take care of your employees. They aren’t asking for too much. Take care of their kids and show some decency.

Fucking prick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »

Yep...what K said. 

People have no zero right to take advantage of a pandemic. You have a small office so the risk is lower. People will always try to milk any situation for what its worth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 12:08:10 PM »
20% of this is real concern.  The other 76% is employees wanting paid time off.  We're a mom and pop firm.  We have 5 employees and bend over backwards to give them extra time off for little emergencies or events.  If one needs to run home real quick because of this or that....no problem.  We've given paid time off countless times for true emergencies.  Right now, we're seeing the true side of them and a total lack of loyalty. I'm ready to fire the whole lot of em' and start over.
That's the truly disheartening part.  They demand loyalty from you.  Expect you to treat them like your own children.  Over the years I've been hit up for a new set of tires because they were in bad financial shape, I've loaned personal money to two different employees because they needed it to get divorced/establish themselves after (never got paid back), continued to pay salaries for people who were on extended personal leave, granted every time off request you can imagine (including four years of letting one mother leave at 2 pm every Friday in order to make her son's football games), paid outrageous bonuses, paid random performance bonuses just because they did something above the call, helped pay for graduations, vacations, births, and who knows what all else, I've let them work from home for months on end because their kid was having issues and they needed to be there.  Because we're a "family"  you know. In the early days when money was tighter, who didn't get a paycheck?  Me. That's who.  Several times I paid them and didn't pay myself.  During one ridiculous span when one of our state contracts went into "furlough" they didn't pay me for six months.  I took money out of my personal accounts and also borrowed money to make sure they got paid.  It would have been much easier and better for the company to lay some of the fuckers off.  

So we're a great big family.  All working together.  As long as I'm doing the sacrificing, that is.  Ask them to do something?  It's a big old pile of "fuck you" 

I've got one employee out who had a stroke.  I need some of the others to pick up her work temporarily.  But they can't be bothered.  Will they be getting a portion of her pay for doing the extra?  

I asked one of them to sit in on a sales meeting because I needed a little technical backup.  With a client that wanted to add an extremely lucrative add-on piece to their system.  Employee is mad, because that wasn't in the "job description"  and during the call, in front of the client I had to cut the mic off because the employee kept suggesting ways the client could accomplish the same thing without adding the additional component and even wondering aloud if they'd priced a fucking competitor.  After the call was over, I had to deal with that employee accusing me of being hostile, and humiliating them in front of the customer.  That employee is on a break now.  My lawyer (you guys suck) said I have to be careful firing and do some mediation first.  Improvement plan and a chance to get things right again.  

I once turned down an offer to sell it all -- one that had the potential to make me happy for a while -- because I couldn't get an agreement that they'd take care of my people.  Now?  I'd almost burn it down for spite.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
 That employee is on a break now.  My lawyer (you guys suck) said I have to be careful firing and do some mediation first.  Improvement plan and a chance to get things right again. 

Is the employee under contract?  Cuz, otherwise AL is an at-will state.  Presuming you're not firing for a discriminatory reason, you can shitcan 'em at your whim.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »
Is the employee under contract?  Cuz, otherwise AL is an at-will state.  Presuming you're not firing for a discriminatory reason, you can shitcan 'em at your whim.
No.  And you're right.  I have just axed people in the past.  But my lawyer always errs on the side of caution.  Better to have documentation and avoid potential lawsuits.  

I'll have to have a mediation meeting with them to clearly explain what behavior was unacceptable, etc.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »
B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-O.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »
No.  And you're right.  I have just axed people in the past.  But my lawyer always errs on the side of caution.  Better to have documentation and avoid potential lawsuits. 

I'll have to have a mediation meeting with them to clearly explain what behavior was unacceptable, etc. 

I lead almost all "can I get sued for..." answers with this: " In America anyone can sue anyone for anything."

That said, fuck this mealy mouthed approach to HR.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 02:05:38 PM »
I lead almost all "can I get sued for..." answers with this: " In America anyone can sue anyone for anything."

I don't like it because it does neuter me to a degree.  

But I suppose I could be inclined to rage-inspired knee jerk reactions and this prevents that.  Then again, rage-inspired knee jerk reactions inspire the right kind of fear.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »
  Then again, rage-inspired knee jerk reactions inspire the right kind of fear. 
The kind that cause people to hoard toilet paper like the Toomer's Trees are dying (too soon?) and the way Don Lemon loses his shit on live television every night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 02:23:49 PM »

I hope snag’s employees sue the fuck out of him.

No one should have to work in those conditions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 02:24:06 PM »
I sent an email out just before lunch basically telling them to act like adults and make responsible decisions.  We aren't going to make any decisions based on what might be or could be.  Here are the 6 main preventive measures listed on the CDC website.  Read em', use em'.  If you feel sick, don't show up for work until you know you're not sick or medically cleared. If you're worried about exposure, wear a mask or take some of your leave time, if you have any.  Otherwise, show up for work and STFU. 

I might have re-worded that very last part. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »
I sent an email out just before lunch basically telling them to act like adults and make responsible decisions.  We aren't going to make any decisions based on what might be or could be.  Here are the 6 main preventive measures listed on the CDC website.  Read em', use em'.  If you feel sick, don't show up for work until you know you're not sick or medically cleared. If you're worried about exposure, wear a mask or take some of your leave time, if you have any.  Otherwise, show up for work and STFU.

I was told by HR that telling an employee to shut the fuck up was against the handbook rules.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 02:44:59 PM »
I sent an email out just before lunch basically telling them to act like adults and make responsible decisions.  We aren't going to make any decisions based on what might be or could be.  Here are the 6 main preventive measures listed on the CDC website.  Read em', use em'.  If you feel sick, don't show up for work until you know you're not sick or medically cleared. If you're worried about exposure, wear a mask or take some of your leave time, if you have any.  Otherwise, show up for work and STFU.

I did basically the same.  

You are expected to perform your jobs, basically. 

Landed about like this: 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »
I was told by HR that telling an employee to shut the fudge up was against the handbook rules.
Is that wrong?  Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, 'cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 03:14:04 PM »
Is that wrong?  Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, 'cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
I have been on both ends of this phrase on quite a number of occasions, believe it or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions