Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture in UFC 91 for the Heavyweight Belt

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
The 11-month legal drama that involved the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and its disgruntled heavyweight champion, Randy Couture, has been resolved.

Thank the almighty … whoever that may be.

In an official conference call today, UFC President Dana White announced that the 45-year-old Hall of Fame inductee had agreed to an out-of-court new multi-fight contract. And, as speculated, will return against Brock Lesnar in the main event at UFC 91 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada (not Portland, Ore.), in a five round fight for the heavyweight championship of the world.

The winner of the bout will be recognized as the heavyweight champion and fight the winner of the bout between UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira and Frank Mir to unify the title sometime after their bout on December 27.

This is quite a departure — and a monumental breakthrough — from the ugly break up that first began when Couture faxed in his resignation from a South African movie set in late 2007, citing poor pay, lack of respect and a desire to fight Fedor Emelianenko — a high-profile free agent who the UFC was unable to sign.

He has sat on the sidelines ever since, hoping that his legal team could find him a way out of his ironclad contract. Either he eventually realized that it was impossible or would just take too long, which is more than likely the genesis behind his sudden shift in strategy.

Regardless, it’s great news that both parties were able to put their differences aside and broker a truce. Now Couture is on the clock to get into fighting shape — he hasn’t competed since a technical knockout win over Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74: “Respect” in August 2007.

Considering his age — and upcoming opponent — he’ll need to whack off any and all cage rust sooner rather than later. Lesnar is among the largest, strongest and most athletic fighters in the division. Couture, on the other hand, is not.

However, he has an uncanny ability to rise to the occasion on fight night, leveraging his experience, knowledge and skill to put together (and execute) winning gameplans. Put simply, Randy Couture has proven over time that he can never be counted out.

So even though it’s been nearly a year of turmoil and straight up ridiculousness … nothing has really changed.

http://mmamania.com/2008/09/02/randy-couture-returns-to-fight-brock-lesnar-at-ufc-91-in-las-vegas/

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Re: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture in UFC 91 for the Heavyweight Belt
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »
I still think the old man takes him. Lesnar may have finally found his thing, after trying pro wrestling and the NFL, but Couture has not let his age get the best of him, as Ken Shamrock has. Couture's experience will win this fight.

I will more then likely be purchasing this PPV. It has been a while since a UFC championship fight has intrigued me enough to buy it. The last one was probably Couture/Liddell 3.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:17:31 PM by Ranger12 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:30 PM »
I still think the old man takes him. Lesnar may have finally found his thing, after trying pro wrestling and the NFL, but Couture has not let his age get the best of him, as Ken Shamrock has. Couture's experience will win this fight.

I will more then likely be purchasing this PPV. It has been a while since a UFC championship fight has intrigued me enough to buy it. The last one was probably Couture/Liddell 3.

I don't know, I think Lesner will have Couture's number.  I just don't think the old man will have it in him to stand toe-to-toe with Lesner.  He may prove me wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:02:01 PM »
I don't know, I think Lesner will have Couture's number.  I just don't think the old man will have it in him to stand toe-to-toe with Lesner.  He may prove me wrong.
Oh I think Lesnar has a chance, which is why I will order the fight. I am giving Couture only a slight advantage because of his experience. Lesnar's size and age could counter that, but I just think Couture's experience in big fights will be what wins this match.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »
Couture is NOT old.  He is just reaching his prime.

Fucktards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:14:26 PM »

Fucktards.
Says the guy that offers pawpaw big $$$ for his little blue pills.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »

Fucktards.
I'm guessing you're kidding....But, if not, reaching your prime....is Not at the Age of 45 in any sport, unless it's coaching.  I feel that a MMA fighter's prime is around 30-32.

I really like both fighters....But, I like Brock Lesnar just a tad bit more.  I'll be all over this UFC PPV, and I'll be pulling for Brock.  Atleast we know that Brock won't retire after the next fight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:14 AM »
I'm guessing you're kidding....But, if not, reaching your prime....is Not at the Age of 45 in any sport, unless it's coaching.  I feel that a MMA fighter's prime is around 30-32.

I really like both fighters....But, I like Brock Lesnar just a tad bit more.  I'll be all over this UFC PPV, and I'll be pulling for Brock.  Atleast we know that Brock won't retire after the next fight.

Dude, I don't think there is anyway that I would watch this fight with you. I don't know you except from your post, but I would imagine you GET JUST A LITTLE FUCKIN INTENSE YA KNOW MOTHA FUCKA SUCK IT BITCH!!!

I would fear for my life...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »

Me and Randy C. are kindred spirits with the age thing.  He will whip Lesnar's punk ass.,,,cause' Stoned Steve says so.

Wait, that was Stone Cold....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
Brock Lesner will lose.  he has know idea what to do once someone takes him to the ground.  He has 0% Jui Jitsu knowledge and it shows.  See the Frank Mir fight...Betting on a Lesnar fight is almost betting that pure strength will overcome skill. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 05:18:05 PM »
Brock's going to get his shit rocked. Randy is too smart of a fighter, and still too damn good to get beat by trash like Brock. Lesnar doesn't have the skill set to win, barring a KO early on, but that can happen at any time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 04:13:31 AM »
Dude, I don't think there is anyway that I would watch this fight with you. I don't know you except from your post, but I would imagine you GET JUST A LITTLE FUCKIN INTENSE YA KNOW MOTHA FUCKA SUCK IT BITCH!!!

I would fear for my life...
Prowler is 260 pounds of aggression, with a bad attitude. :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 05:57:37 AM »
Prowler is 260 pounds of aggression, with a bad attitude. :thumbsup:

His parents must be so proud.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »
You God Damn right they're proud. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
Prowler threatened my life at Loco's one time.  I shit myself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »
Time to revive this thread since the fight is less then 24 hours away. I just ordered it a few minutes ago. I still say the experience of Couture trumps Lesnar's size and strength. As AWK pointed out, during the Mir fight, Brock showed how his aggressiveness gets in the way of his thinking. He might have learned from that fight, but I don't think he learned enough to take out Couture. However, if Randy screws up and let's Brock inside with a couple of good punches, with Brock's strength, that could be all it takes for him to win.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »
Well damn. Lesnar took Couture out towards the end of the second round. The "official" 45 pound weight difference Brock had, along with his 6 inch reach advantage was just too much. Randy had Lesnar bleeding, but Brock was just do dang big for Randy to be able to handle and wear down like he normally does to his opponents. Going to be interesting to see who takes the belt from Brock. It is going to have to be somebody that can take him down to the ground and make him submit. That is how he was beat in his one UFC loss, but I think Brock learned from that and will not get taken down to the mat as easily from now on.

As Couture said after the match, "Thats some big ham hocks coming at you. That is just one big sumbitch".

Anybody know if there has been a UFC heavyweight champ as big as Lesnar. He barely met the maximum weight allowed for the heavyweights at 265 during the weigh in. He had to go from 280 to 265, and the guys usually put back on a few more of those pounds by fight time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »
You guys realize this UFC shit is nothing more than juiced up pro wrestling, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »
You get your ass in the ring with one of those guys and then tell me if you still think like that. This stuff is nothing like WWE. They ain't slapping the sides of their legs are backs when they hit somebody. I have actually been to a UFC fight and even HDTV does not do it justice.

In one of the fights last night, I saw one of the coolest hits I have ever seen. Somebody got such an awesome uppercut in, that the other guy's head snapped back and you could see his eyes to start rolling in the back of his head before he even hit the mat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions