AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
A Letter To O'Reilly Concerning Gustav
« on: September 12, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »
Pretty much nails it:

Hello Mr. O'Reilly,

I am a nurse who has just completed working approximately 120 hours
  as the clinic director in a Hurricane Gustav evacuation shelter in Shreveport ,
Louisiana over the last 7 days.  I would love to see someone look at the evacuee
 situation from a new perspective.  Local and national news channels have covered
   the evacuation and 'horrible' conditions the evacuees had to endure during Hurricane
  Gustav. 

True - some things were not optimal for the evacuation and the shelters need
 some modification. At any point, does anyone address the responsibility (or
  irresponsibility) of the evacuees?

Does it seem wrong that one would remember their cell phone, charger, cigarettes
 and lighter but forget their child's insulin?

Is something amiss when an evacuee gets off the bus, walks immediately to the
 medical area, and requests immediate free refills on all medicines for which they
  cannot provide a prescription or current bottle (most of which are narcotics)?

Isn't the system flawed when an evacuee says they cannot afford a $3 copay for a
 refill that will be delivered to them in the shelter yet they can take a
 city-provided bus to Wal-mart, buy 5 bottles of Vodka, and return to consume
 them secretly in the shelter?

Is it fair to stop performing luggage checks on incoming evacuees so as not to
 delay the registration process but endanger the volunteer staff and other persons
 with the very realistic truth of drugs, alcohol and weapons being brought into the shelter?

Am I less than compassionate when it frustrates me to scrub emesis from the
 floor near a nauseated child while his mother lies nearby, watching me work 26
 hours straight, not even raising her head from the pillow to comfort her own son?

Why does it incense me to hear a man say 'I ain't goin' home 'til I get my FEMA
 check',  when I would love to just go home and see my daughters who I have only
 seen 3 times this week?

Is the system flawed when the privately insured patient must find a way to get
 to the pharmacy, fill his prescription and pay his copay while the FEMA
 declaration allows the uninsured person to acquire free medications under the disaster rules?

Does it seem odd that the nurse volunteering at the shelter is paying for
 childcare while the evacuee sits on a cot during the day as the shelter provides a 'day care'?

Have government entitlements created this mentality and am I facilitating it with my work?
 Will I be a bad person, merciless nurse or poor Christian if I hesitate to work
 at the next shelter because I have worked for 7 days being called every curse
 word imaginable, felt threatened and feared for my personal safety in the shelter?

Exhausted and battered but hopefully pithy,

Sherri Hagerhjelm, RN

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: A Letter To O'Reilly Concerning Gustav
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »
Excellent letter. My sympathy for those leeches ended about 2 weeks after Katrina. Now, the whole fucking state could burn and I wouldn't give a shit nor would I give a dime to assist.

We, the American taxpayer, will be footing the bill for these ticks for every minimal hurricane that hits that shithole. They know that all they have to do is whine and bitch in front of a TV camera about how their lobster florentine was a little tough, and the government will throw more money at them to appease them. All because FEMA shit the bed in 2005 (even though the largest share of the blame was the local and state governments for sitting around with their thumb up their ass).

They need to round the natives up, ship them back, then fence in the entire state. 30' high concertina wire fence with 50,000 volts of electricity running through it.

Fuck these handouts. I'm tired of working my ass off to support these fucking animals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
Re: A Letter To O'Reilly Concerning Gustav
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:45:11 AM »
Pell City Tiger does not like black people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions