Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kris Kristopherson

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Kris Kristopherson
« on: March 24, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »
I saw this video posted about how he wrote "Why Me" and I looked up a bit more on him.

Apparently he was Army. Not only army, but a helicopter pilot and a ranger. Hmm:

Kristofferson, under pressure from his family, ultimately joined the U.S. Army and attained the rank of Captain. He became a helicopter pilot after receiving flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama. He also completed Ranger School. During the early 1960s, he was stationed in West Germany as a member of the 8th Infantry Division.[13] During this time, he resumed his music career and formed a band. In 1965, when his tour of duty ended, Kristofferson was given an assignment to teach English literature at West Point.[14] Instead, he decided to leave the Army and pursue songwriting. His family disowned him because of this decision and they never reconciled with him.[15] They saw it as a rejection of everything they stood for, in spite of the fact that Kristofferson has said he is proud of his time in the military, and received the American Veterans Awards "Veteran of the Year Award" in 2003.[16][17]

Some of these old school artists led pretty interesting lives.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Kris Kristopherson
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
Proud to say that I have met him and people who have played in his band. The little garage apartment that he lived in while in Ozark (in the WIREGRASS region of the state) is still standing.

I think you have to be a pretty decent songwriter for two of your songs to be widely used in collegiate American Literature books across the country.

He's having some memory issues but still performs from time to time. Was recently on John Prine's label. Not sure if he's on one now. Last I heard, still living in Hawaii. He's an American treasure, imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:47:33 PM »
He dumped toxic waste in mountains of West Virginia.

He's a bad man. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
Kristopherson could throw up a bowl of alphabet soup and it will still be a better written song that the shit that is today's country. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan