Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Neighbor's Dog(s)

The Neighbor's Dog(s)
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
Anybody else had bad dealings with a neighbor's dogs? Here's mine:

A year ago I bought my granddad's house, after his passing, with the goodwill intent of doing some handiwork, updating, refurbishing, and being able to say down the road that the future-Mrs. Catphish and I began our family in the same house where my grandfather began his. Thought that was cool. So now I've got a good little 50's era house with a lot of character, sitting on a couple acres land. Even grew a garden this year.

It sits on a rural cutoff road where, for about 30 years, not much changed. The last 15-20 saw a few squatters come in, knock down some trees and crowd things up a bit with other houses - but still it's a quiet little street.

Three years ago however, a lone guy in his 40's-early 50's moved from somewhere downtown to one of these more recent properties which had been foreclosed on. It unfortunately sits directly across from what is now my current residence. This neighbor and I have always been cordial - waving and saying hello if we happen to both be outside, but nothing beyond that. I try to keep to myself. No big deal. That's cool, right? Nope.

The guy has 3 dogs. 2 of which are pits. Now I am not a member of the anti-bully brigade. I believe dogs are the reflection of their raising and pits are no exception but I also believe that people should know the stigma they carry and respect that not everyone wants them roaming leash-free. Personally speaking, I want a dog but I don't have a fence - therefore I don't have a dog. This guy does have a fence, and he uses it, but half the time I come home from work his dogs are, yep, leash-free out front.

I've kept my thoughts on this to myself for a year now - they do stay in his yard. Even though the city has a leash law, I've been content to simply curse under my breath when they bark at me as I check my mail, cut grass, etc. But I am a little on edge wondering if they're gonna cross the street one of these times. They've probably done that when I'm not aware but yesterday they definitely did. My outside chipmunk killer came stalking through the side yard when I got home yesterday and the dogs lit out after him -chasing it down the street and into the woods. Ticked me off sure, but dogs chase cats. I bit my tongue and went inside.

Then my fiance stopped in. Same thing. I was inside so all I heard was her scream as the dogs chased her (while pursuing the cat I assume now but do not know) right into the garage. She was scared. I ran outside, saw what was happening, saw her, raged, went directly to this dude's door and had serious words. I'm no fighter, mind you. I never threatened him but I sure didn't mince words about the animals and what I'd do to them if they crossed the street again. Naturally he had words right back and it got a little tense. In hindsight I regret some of it, especially being that he was completely taken off guard, but I was in full-on protection mode and a year's worth of pent up thoughts on the matter didn't help.

I have to live next to the guy, so I tried to be cordial/humble and actually went back later and apologized for my words. Call that what you will but I don't want to live in conflict with a neighbor, if I can help it. He tells me they are sweet babies and would never attack, btw. Unless commanded, that is. So that's good to know, said no one ever.

TL;DR: My neighbor has pitbulls off leash. They bark and chase things. This ain't the city. It angers me.

Cool story huh bro?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:50:59 AM by Catphish Tilly »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: The Neighbor's Dog(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »
I love dogs. I don't have one now but I like them fine. I don't like dogs shitting in my yard. I don't like it when dogs chase me. Used to run enough to be considered a runner and usually carried pepper spray. Used it a few times and it worked.

The way I see it, if it isn't a situation where someone's dog has broken out of the pen every now and then--which I understand is going to happen, then this is just an inconsiderate neighbor.

A pit bull can take big hunks out. They've killed folks and especially kids. I'm sure some of the animal Nazis will jump on that statement and I know other dogs have too. But, bottom line is, I don't want your pitbull running loose so that it COULD even potentially attack my kid. I know, you're dog doesn't bite. I've heard that one a thousand times as I used to go to people's homes for work. And yep, had to kick a few off. Saw one little one nip someone right after being told, "oh, she doesn't bite." No shit? Why is Henry bleeding?

I will kick the shit out of dog right in front of the owner if they come at me. They need to have better sense when they've been told to put their animals up, the Maytag man will be there at 8 a.m.

I say take care of your problem before it gets worse. Now that you've cooled down, explain it to him from your perspective and that you don't want to have guests in fear of being in your yard.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:03:00 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »
If my advice doesn't work, start shitting in his yard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
Yeah the cooling down part was important. Even though there would've been no need to had he just followed law-abiding rules of pet ownership from the get-go. But if there's one thing to be sure of about people, it's that most don't want to see any side of a story but their own. At least initially.

Plus as much as I don't want to see pitbulls mauling my friends and family, he probably doesn't want some white dude banging on his front door and cursing at him. Hence why I felt it best to just take the high road and apologize.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 12:03:22 PM »

Oh I diagnosed these nuisances with a lead deficiency long ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »
We live far enough out from town that we let our dogs (German Shepherd and Lab) out especially at night. Use to, I would let them out during the day too but our neighbors got scared for their own two dogs safety. That is their fault. See when King Leonidas (the GSP) was a pup, their dogs would come over and bully Leo not knowing that one day very soon Leo would tower over these mutts and could eat them in one bite. Now, Leo still remembers and when the mutts forget about the danger they venture over to our yard. I have a little too much fun with this. We will both stare out the window as Leo growls I talk it up. Once the door opens the fun begins as two dogs run for their lives and Leo stops right at the wood line with a big ass smile.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »
Fish, your comment about people only wanting to see their side of the story is spot on, especially when it comes to pet ownership and this situation.  Before I'm called a card carrying member of the Anti-Pit Bull Brigade, I would tell you that I've served on the Humane Society board for years.  Have 3 dogs, 2 cats and love, love, love animals.  Sometimes in a kinky way if I've been drinking heavily...and no one else is home.  But I digress. 

I've also handled dozens of dog bite cases both in my practice and as an adjuster for an insurance company. Part of the law concerning pets and your liability as an owner centers around the "One free bite" rule.  Silly as it sounds, it simply means that if your pet has never shown "vicious propensities" in the past (Bitten or gone after someone) he/she/you get a pass if it happens.  However, there are several breeds on the list that get no pass.  If your pit jumps someone, it's all on you.  No discussion.  No argument.  You made the decision to own a pit bull, you pay for whatever it does.  Why?  Because those mother fuckers have proven time and time and time and time again that they will attack and kill if possible.  Provoked...unprovoked...doesn't matter. 

Okay, spare me the stories of owning the sweetest little pit bull or how my neighbor had 3 and they were playful pups and tender hearted etc. And the most commonly used argument....they're only a reflection of their upbringing.  If they were trained to be aggressive.....blah, blah, blah...  Certainly not saying every pit is going to attack.  I've known plenty of docile pits in my life.  But through years of breeding, it's in their DNA.  Your neighbor said they would never attack...unless commanded to.  Really?  That means those happy campers WILL attack your ass and my guess is it's just a matter of time. 

I have two cases against pit bull owners going right now and I can't stress enough how horrendous the injuries are.  One was a grown man attacked for no reason by two pits and there's no way he should have lived.  He was ripped to shreds from head to toe.  The other is a little boy riding a bike down the street. Pit got out of the fence, chased him down and when neighbors finally got to him, the pit had drug him through the street and two yards and was trying to drag him back into the fence to finish him off. 

This guy doesn't get it.  He sees what he wants to see about his pits and you should to because he tells you it's so.  Next time they're out....animal control on the phone.  Next time they're out....animal control on the phone.  He's already told you they'll attack on command.  Guess what?  That means this fucker trained one of the most vicious breeds on the planet to attack.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 01:06:06 PM »
Fish, your comment about people only wanting to see their side of the story is spot on, especially when it comes to pet ownership and this situation.  Before I'm called a card carrying member of the Anti-Pit Bull Brigade, I would tell you that I've served on the Humane Society board for years.  Have 3 dogs, 2 cats and love, love, love animals.  Sometimes in a kinky way if I've been drinking heavily...and no one else is home.  But I digress. 

I've also handled dozens of dog bite cases both in my practice and as an adjuster for an insurance company. Part of the law concerning pets and your liability as an owner centers around the "One free bite" rule.  Silly as it sounds, it simply means that if your pet has never shown "vicious propensities" in the past (Bitten or gone after someone) he/she/you get a pass if it happens.  However, there are several breeds on the list that get no pass.  If your pit jumps someone, it's all on you.  No discussion.  No argument.  You made the decision to own a pit bull, you pay for whatever it does.  Why?  Because those mother fuckers have proven time and time and time and time again that they will attack and kill if possible.  Provoked...unprovoked...doesn't matter. 

Okay, spare me the stories of owning the sweetest little pit bull or how my neighbor had 3 and they were playful pups and tender hearted etc. And the most commonly used argument....they're only a reflection of their upbringing.  If they were trained to be aggressive.....blah, blah, blah...  Certainly not saying every pit is going to attack.  I've known plenty of docile pits in my life.  But through years of breeding, it's in their DNA.  Your neighbor said they would never attack...unless commanded to.  Really?  That means those happy campers WILL attack your ass and my guess is it's just a matter of time. 

I have two cases against pit bull owners going right now and I can't stress enough how horrendous the injuries are.  One was a grown man attacked for no reason by two pits and there's no way he should have lived.  He was ripped to shreds from head to toe.  The other is a little boy riding a bike down the street. Pit got out of the fence, chased him down and when neighbors finally got to him, the pit had drug him through the street and two yards and was trying to drag him back into the fence to finish him off. 

This guy doesn't get it.  He sees what he wants to see about his pits and you should to because he tells you it's so.  Next time they're out....animal control on the phone.  Next time they're out....animal control on the phone.  He's already told you they'll attack on command.  Guess what?  That means this fucker trained one of the most vicious breeds on the planet to attack.
I really don't see how this contributed anything more or was in any way remotely better advice than I've already given. I always consider whether or not I have something of value to contribute before I jump on here and just start talking shit. You may want to consider that yourself. You'd be a much better poster for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 01:06:45 PM »

This guy doesn't get it.  He sees what he wants to see about his pits and you should to because he tells you it's so.  Next time they're out....animal control on the phone.  Next time they're out....animal control on the phone.  He's already told you they'll attack on command.  Guess what?  That means this fudgeer trained one of the most vicious breeds on the planet to attack.

Agree with you're entire post . The whole incident leaves me in a stressful situation but that part especially.

Like I said, I don't have any relationship to the guy beyond the occasional BS chitchat when I stroll to the mailbox. I have always been friendly but this guy and me just aren't much alike, if his propensity to own attack dogs wasn't enough evidence of that fact. I truly don't feel like he mentioned that particular nugget as a threat to me but as time has passed, I can't help but feel a little threatened nonetheless.

Regardless, if it happens again, animal control is getting the call.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Agree with you're entire post . The whole incident leaves me in a stressful situation but that part especially.

Like I said, I don't have any relationship to the guy beyond the occasional BS chitchat when I stroll to the mailbox. I have always been friendly but this guy and me just aren't much alike, if his propensity to own attack dogs wasn't enough evidence of that fact. I truly don't feel like he mentioned that particular nugget as a threat to me but as time has passed, I can't help but feel a little threatened nonetheless.

Regardless, if it happens again, animal control is getting the call.

Be preemptive, go to animal control and explain your situation and ask them the best way to handle it should you need to call in. They should start a file on it and you may learn something about what you need to do in that event.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 06:42:05 PM »
As cat lover, I loathe dogs that kill cats. There's fucking three of them that run around midtown Mobile killing cats and anything else they can. I would kill these dogs myself if given the opportunity. I am gonna hunt them down when I move back. Anyway, in the meantime this how I would handle them.

Spray them with this shit, and I doubt they come back. If they do, continue to soak their asses until they don't return. Call animal control and go that route if you want, to just to get a record on file concerning this issue.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:01:07 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
Whoa! That shit sent Kujo back to the porch and into mama's house....asap!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
Anybody else had bad dealings with a neighbor's dogs? Here's mine:

A year ago I bought my granddad's house, after his passing, with the goodwill intent of doing some handiwork, updating, refurbishing, and being able to say down the road that the future-Mrs. Catphish and I began our family in the same house where my grandfather began his. Thought that was cool. So now I've got a good little 50's era house with a lot of character, sitting on a couple acres land. Even grew a garden this year.

It sits on a rural cutoff road where, for about 30 years, not much changed. The last 15-20 saw a few squatters come in, knock down some trees and crowd things up a bit with other houses - but still it's a quiet little street.

Three years ago however, a lone guy in his 40's-early 50's moved from somewhere downtown to one of these more recent properties which had been foreclosed on. It unfortunately sits directly across from what is now my current residence. This neighbor and I have always been cordial - waving and saying hello if we happen to both be outside, but nothing beyond that. I try to keep to myself. No big deal. That's cool, right? Nope.

The guy has 3 dogs. 2 of which are pits. Now I am not a member of the anti-bully brigade. I believe dogs are the reflection of their raising and pits are no exception but I also believe that people should know the stigma they carry and respect that not everyone wants them roaming leash-free. Personally speaking, I want a dog but I don't have a fence - therefore I don't have a dog. This guy does have a fence, and he uses it, but half the time I come home from work his dogs are, yep, leash-free out front.

I've kept my thoughts on this to myself for a year now - they do stay in his yard. Even though the city has a leash law, I've been content to simply curse under my breath when they bark at me as I check my mail, cut grass, etc. But I am a little on edge wondering if they're gonna cross the street one of these times. They've probably done that when I'm not aware but yesterday they definitely did. My outside chipmunk killer came stalking through the side yard when I got home yesterday and the dogs lit out after him -chasing it down the street and into the woods. Ticked me off sure, but dogs chase cats. I bit my tongue and went inside.

Then my fiance stopped in. Same thing. I was inside so all I heard was her scream as the dogs chased her (while pursuing the cat I assume now but do not know) right into the garage. She was scared. I ran outside, saw what was happening, saw her, raged, went directly to this dude's door and had serious words. I'm no fighter, mind you. I never threatened him but I sure didn't mince words about the animals and what I'd do to them if they crossed the street again. Naturally he had words right back and it got a little tense. In hindsight I regret some of it, especially being that he was completely taken off guard, but I was in full-on protection mode and a year's worth of pent up thoughts on the matter didn't help.

I have to live next to the guy, so I tried to be cordial/humble and actually went back later and apologized for my words. Call that what you will but I don't want to live in conflict with a neighbor, if I can help it. He tells me they are sweet babies and would never attack, btw. Unless commanded, that is. So that's good to know, said no one ever.

TL;DR: My neighbor has pitbulls off leash. They bark and chase things. This ain't the city. It angers me.

Cool story huh bro?
In 1995 an abandoned chow took a bullet from a deputy at my bequest. My brother deputies were pissed that I didn't do it myself but I lived there and worked 20 miles west and was not going to discharge my weapon in the area I lived unless it became absolutely necessary. The chow opened up the mid section of my neighbor's dog, terrorized our family dog and chased children on my street including my own kids.  Back then (1995 ) you could have that done in Alabama if the animal couldn't be captured.

Been on both sides of the issue.

Also lost my lab (1990) that I chained in my fenced yard while mowing yard. Neighbor kid (9) always carried sharpened sticks and swords. I walked in for a drink and the US Open was winding down and as I watched I heard a shrill scream. Ran to the back door and the kid jumped into my arms bleeding with puncture wounds to the throat. Knew his Mom since first grade but it was the husband that pressed to have the dog put down while threatening to sue. Quarantined the dog. Vet new a man who accepted guard dogs and off he went. Broken friendship.

You and your loved one's safety vastly outweigh any issues that you have with your neighbor. He has a responsibility to the entire neighborhood and to his animals to keep them within an enclosure or on a leash when not penned. That he feels they are harmless shouldn't have any bearing of the fact that they cause real fear among others. His insistence to allow them to roam occasionally is just him being a defiant ass.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 12:10:56 AM »
In 1995 an abandoned chow took a bullet from a deputy at my bequest. My brother deputies were pissed that I didn't do it myself but I lived there and worked 20 miles west and was not going to discharge my weapon in the area I lived unless it became absolutely necessary. The chow opened up the mid section of my neighbor's dog, terrorized our family dog and chased children on my street including my own kids.  Back then (1995 ) you could have that done in Alabama if the animal couldn't be captured.

Also lost my lab (1990) that I chained in my fenced yard while mowing yard. Neighbor kid (9) always carried sharpened sticks and swords. I walked in for a drink and the US Open was winding down and as I watched I heard a shrill scream. Ran to the back door and the kid jumped into my arms bleeding with puncture wounds to the throat. Knew his Mom since first grade but it was the husband that pressed to have the dog put down while threatening to sue. Quarantined the dog. Vet new a man who accepted guard dogs and off he went. Broken friendship.

You and your loved one's safety vastly outweigh any issues that you have with your neighbor. He has a responsibility to the entire neighborhood and to his animals to keep them within an enclosure or on a leash when not penned. That he feels they are harmless shouldn't have any bearing of the fact that they cause real fear among others. His insistence to allow them to roam occasionally is just him being a defiant ass.

Best post you've ever made.   :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 12:47:04 AM »

Word.
This man's right to have whatever pet he wishes and maintain that pet in any way he wishes stops at his property line. You have the absolute right to feel safe and secure on your property. I'm a dog lover (specifically large, well trained dogs) and one of the basic laws of dog ownership is you're responsible for everything they do. Even if what they're doing is just a dog thing, chasing cats, getting into garbage, jumping up on people doesn't matter. You're responsible for any annoyances/damages visited upon others.

Having refereed more than one neighbor dispute in my day I'll give you this advice: whatever you feel you have to do to resolve it, you've said enough to the neighbor about his dogs. If you decide you need to call animal control, call 'em. If you decide you need to spray the dogs, spray 'em. If for whatever reason you decide you want to solve the problem another way wait till nobody is lookin', do it, clean it up and don't say nothin' to nobody. This first confrontation should be the last thing you ever say to the neighbor about the dogs, you've lodged your complaint and he's ignored it (trampling your rights in the process). Your obligation to neighbor notification is over concerning those dogs. He wants to know why his hands burn when he pets the dog, you don't know. He wants to know if you've seen 'em, you ain't.

I've seen a lot of that stuff get out of hand because someone just had to run their mouth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 07:49:18 AM »

Best post you've ever made.   :thumsup:
He does some of his better work when he's not drinking. That makes it rare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »
He does some of his better work when he's not drinking. That makes it rare.

What's your huckleberry?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 11:19:28 AM »