Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

My life in the corporate world.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
My life in the corporate world.
« on: June 13, 2014, 12:26:23 PM »
People-There are more people here that don’t have any real meaning and I have no idea what the hell there contribution is. I would say it is 80-20 female to male and the back stabbing and sniping about each other is ungodly.
You have the hourly folks who drudge in right at 8:00am clock in and slowly make it to their desk, at 5:00pm it is a stampede to the clock. The true masses have no connection or care about this place.  It truly is “Office Space” around here, I get the same E-mail from 5 different people who CC each other in that E-mail (including me) and I get it from all 5 of them with them CCing each other. The salary folks, most upper management but you have one real corporate douche who comes in every morning hollering “GOOD MORNING LADIES” and on Friday its GOOD MORNING LADIES IT’S A GREAT FRIDAY every fucking week. This dude has meeting about having meetings. I see people walking to his office like they are walking to the gallows. He has come in and taken people off the clock and put them on salary, but he has done so by reducing their pay, two people have already quit.

The Company- This place is losing money like nobody’s business, but it also makes a shit ton. People have told me to go in do your job and work with blinders on, I didn’t listen, tried to help reduce cost, I found an office supply place that was about 5 to 7% cheaper than who they were using, took it to the higher up’s and was told what a good job and they would get right on it. Which meant don’t every do that shit again because it would take too much work on our part and we know who we are dealing with.  I don’t think anybody has ever really worked hard here, now that I know my job it only takes about 4 hours on some days, payroll days are much more hectic.  They have a sensor’s on the company E-mail that I guess picks up derogatory words, I think it is set to stupid, I’ll mailed one the guys I went to hot springs with some pictures of us playing golf  and the subject matter was Jack and Arnie. It kicked it back because of the word “Jack” .

My work area- I have an office and then there is a bull pen outside of it. It is a morgue out there, always quite. I set up my office and turned on my Pandora. Someone came to me about that because they had never been allowed to have music at their desk, I keep it low and they seem to have accepted it. There is a lady who runs the accounting dept, she is the owners sister, she’s knows a shit ton about the company and her job (been here 15 years) but she has no ability to think independent. Any decision that requires something be done outside the norm she will not do without approval. She gave me  a 90 day review, I told her what I would do to stay here and she said that I would have to talk to her sister.

Me- The only part that I am having problem with is the lady (the sister), I am salary and therefore can come and go, everybody else is on the clock. I leave early other Friday (to go play golf) but I am here between 6 and 7 every morning so my hours are there in not more cause I stay to 6 some nights. Well a couple of days ago I told her I was leaving for about 30 minutes to go get something done and she asked if that was going to be part of my lunch. I told her no. The following morning we had a sit down and I explained to her the way I saw my hours ( I also worked till 6 that previous night). I give her credit, she apologized about the way it came across.  I am trying to get into the corporate part, we get profit bonuses and such.

In conclusion I have decided that working in corporate America sucks. But being out of work sucks even more. 

And yes this is a cool story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: My life in the corporate world.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
Drunk posting on a Friday isn't cool. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
Someone has a case of the Monday's
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
If you worked for me, I would fire you for posting on company time.

Oh shit. never mind.

Just hang in there. You will get the hang of it...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:39:29 PM »
I know someone that tells similar stories to this.  He works in a high rise downtown.  Said he does 3-4 hours of office work and the rest is chit chatting with coworkers, his "hour" lunch, and surfing the net. 

I asked him how does he stay sane...he said his $84k paycheck and annual bonus keeps him sane.  Said he also likes getting to work at 830 and leaving at 5 on the dot every day.  Never works weekends. 

I couldn't do it.  I have never had a corporate office job in my life.  Even though I disliked teaching, it provided so much more of a lifestyle suited to my interests than the high paying accountant or lawyer. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
Switch to Fed Ex
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
Drunk posting on a Friday isn't cool.

That is what I miss most about my last job, we would always have cold brews starting around 2:00pm on Friday's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »

That is what I miss most about my last job, we would always have cold brews starting around 2:00pm on Friday's.

You worked with Wes?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 01:09:01 PM »
Well a couple of days ago I told her I was leaving for about 30 minutes to go get something done and she asked if that was going to be part of my lunch. I told her no. The following morning we had a sit down and I explained to her the way I saw my hours ( I also worked till 6 that previous night). I give her credit, she apologized about the way it came across.  I am trying to get into the corporate part, we get profit bonuses and such.

50 years ago, you wouldn't have had to tell her anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
50 years ago, you wouldn't have had to tell her anything.

She was something before electricity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
I thought about reading this. Is it keen?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »
I thought about reading this. Is it keen?

Does a bear get the squirts near a pine tree?

Of course its keen. Its dallas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
Does a bear get the squirts near a pine tree?

Of course its keen. Its dallas.

And dare I say: I dare;  Educational. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
I couldn't do it.  I have never had a corporate office job in my life.  Even though I disliked teaching, it provided so much more of a lifestyle suited to my interests than the high paying accountant or lawyer.

It must be so nice to be so casual about life, but I couldn't stand to have your lifestyle either.  I like paying my own way, using my actually useful degree to earn a good living, being valued for my skills and abilities  and helping my company grow and be profitable.  I like being able to take nice vacations and provide my kids with a good life in a nice house. We have no debt beyond our affordable mortgage, and are saving for retirement so one day I will be able to afford not having to do a damn thing while still living a good lifestyle.  By any measure, I am successful and I can take complete credit for that, because I work my ass off - and I'm glad I do. Work my ass off now to enjoy my life on my terms later.  Obviously being successful means different things to different people, but don't knock it until you try it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 05:26:21 PM »
It must be so nice to be so casual about life, but I couldn't stand to have your lifestyle either.  I like paying my own way, using my actually useful degree to earn a good living, being valued for my skills and abilities  and helping my company grow and be profitable.  I like being able to take nice vacations and provide my kids with a good life in a nice house. We have no debt beyond our affordable mortgage, and are saving for retirement so one day I will be able to afford not having to do a damn thing while still living a good lifestyle.  By any measure, I am successful and I can take complete credit for that, because I work my ass off - and I'm glad I do. Work my ass off now to enjoy my life on my terms later.  Obviously being successful means different things to different people, but don't knock it until you try it.

Maybe its the "Get off my lawn" or the fact that I pumped in 11 years at a place and walked away with nothing, but I made the decision to start enjoying the life part more now and keep working on the "later" part.

I

Work to live

not

live to work.

We all have our game plan to get to where we want to be. ( I have Mrs. Dallas working as hard as ever)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

I don't understand any of this.  You're saying being a teacher isn't useful?  Education isn't valuable? 

We take nice vacations and we don't have any debt.  Retirement is a bit lackluster, but I couldn't live and work for the end.  I like living in the now even if it means a bite in the ass later.

Though that might not happen as being the village bard paid more money than the village English teacher. 

And that useless degree and as you implied "laziness" has lead to a fellowship at Auburn University to study something I'm interested in while being paid for it. 

I guess I'm saying that I'm sorry that you're working 60 hours a week in an office so you can live in the safety net of the suburbs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
I don't understand any of this.  You're saying being a teacher isn't useful?  Education isn't valuable? 

We take nice vacations and we don't have any debt.  Retirement is a bit lackluster, but I couldn't live and work for the end.  I like living in the now even if it means a bite in the ass later.

Though that might not happen as being the village bard paid more money than the village English teacher. 

And that useless degree and as you implied "laziness" has lead to a fellowship at Auburn University to study something I'm interested in while being paid for it. 

I guess I'm saying that I'm sorry that you're working 60 hours a week in an office so you can live in the safety net of the suburbs.
She's very successful and has many leather bound books.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »
I might be the least successful person on this board.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »
I started out in my job as Dilbert.  Over the years, I have become Wally.  Pays the same in the world of the gubmints.  I fucking hate it, but the paycheck is nice.  I'm kind of a big deal too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »

I never implied you were lazy.  I wasn't even doing a comparison. I was making a point about my own choices and the benefits they provide.  Things that mean something to me.  My own measure of success for MYSELF.  The choices YOU were dismissing. And take your false sympathy elsewhere.  Don't knock something you've never tried.

I don't live in the safety net of the suburbs. I live in a very rural area. Town of 10,000 people. But where I live has nothing to do with what I do.  Yes, I work hard but enjoy what I do because I find it interesting and stimulating. And if someone wants to pay me well to do it, even if it means sitting in an office, then what's wrong with that?  I work where I do because because I find it to be challenging. I work because I like it.  It satisfies me. It obviously doesn't do it for you. Good luck with that.   

I find teaching to be a wonderful profession - I've done it, at Auburn, and might even do it again once I retire some day.

But... didn't you quit your teaching job?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions