Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A-Day game thoughts...

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
A-Day game thoughts...
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »

#winning Category:

83,401 in attendance (uat 75,000-78,000 guesstimation in attendance)

Defense is better than the past two seasons.

Tackling is better than the past four seasons (minus Holland of course).

Star Backer Justin Garrett is a big ball peen hammer and he's all over the field.

RB situation will look even better when Freshmen Johnathan Ford and Payton Barber get there.

CamPayne is a baddass.

WRs did good (minus Trovon Reed)

Official plans for Toomer's Corner (plant younger Oak trees a little further back from the corner)

http://www.cbs42.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/04/sports25.jpg

:facepalm: Category:

QB situation is still a question, both look good at times then both look like shit at times. IMO, I'd go with Wallace between those two. Nick Marshall and Jeremy Johnson will be given every opportunity to win the job, Marshall moreso than Johnson (unless Johnson comes in on fire).

#62 Chade Slade is a big mound of goo, doesn't get any push...just stands in the defender's way, a stalemate and a stalemated lineman that's 6'6” 320lbs is two clogged holes (Jordan Diamond is the better Guard, he's stronger, he gets movement...unlike Slade)

#5 Jake Holland

We only have two Safeties on the whole team, not counting the incoming freshmen.

Cody Parkey didn't have a good day with the long FGs.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:20:43 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: A-Day game thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
Agree with everything...

IF Frazier is named the starter this season, expect another 3-9 record.  My fingers are crossed that Nick Marshall is the real deal. 

Watching CamPayne run the Packer sweep was fun!  Looks like a guy that is patient enough to let his blockers open a hole, then he hits the hole in record time.  Between Mason and CA-P, whomever is at QB will only need to do enough to keep defenses honest.

Justin Garrett reminds me a little of Daren Bates when he burst on the scene at DB.

Maybe next year will be the breakout year for Trovon Reed.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 02:32:51 AM »
Agree with everything...

IF Frazier is named the starter this season, expect another 3-9 record.  My fingers are crossed that Nick Marshall is the real deal. 

Watching CamPayne run the Packer sweep was fun!  Looks like a guy that is patient enough to let his blockers open a hole, then he hits the hole in record time.  Between Mason and CA-P, whomever is at QB will only need to do enough to keep defenses honest.

Justin Garrett reminds me a little of Daren Bates when he burst on the scene at DB.

Maybe next year will be the breakout year for Trovon Reed.
IMO, Frazier is too shell shocked from the past two seasons, maybe damaged goods.

Daren Bates would've been Huge in Coach Johnson's Star position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:08:42 AM »
If we win 6 games next year we're the luckiest bunch of assholes in the country.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
If we win 6 games next year we're the luckiest bunch of assholes in the country.

Agreed. 

Unless Marshall or Johnson can come in and play immediately.  Quarterbacks looked just as atrocious as last year.  Still a lot of issues on defense especially getting off blocks. 

Payne and Mason should make for an exciting duo though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:25:25 AM »
Me too. I do believe we looked better. Nobody stood out like Cam did in his A day, obviously, but CAP was impressive to me. Let us remind ourselves that it was against our defense.

Jaylon Denson looked like he can be the receiver we thought he could be out of HS. Impressive catches. And J Garrett and Therezie made some impressive plays on d. I would say that the db's had some bright spots but also some busted coverages.

QB--less than stellar but J Wallace looked best. Great atmosphere and excitement. Wish I could've made the x tailgate but when I got to Loachapoka, where everyone told me it was, nobody was there. Must've changed at the last minute, again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
Agreed. 

Unless Marshall or Johnson can come in and play immediately.  Quarterbacks looked just as atrocious as last year.  Still a lot of issues on defense especially getting off blocks. 

Payne and Mason should make for an exciting duo though.
Soooo....I'm guessing if we can't shed our own shoddy blocking we must still really suck. :p

Re: Loachapoka? Is that where they met up?
Guess I too would have been given the slip had I been able to get away.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »
Soooo....I'm guessing if we can't shed our own shoddy blocking we must still really suck. :p

Re: Loachapoka? Is that where they met up?
Guess I too would have been given the slip had I been able to get away.

We have to keep moving it around to make sure the "undesirables" don't find us.  Sometimes we hide it so well that we don't even find it. 

Word on the skreet is that because of the softball game, they stopped all tailgating along Wire just for the day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
Kinda stunned by some of the assessments of the team after A-Day. 6-6 and losing to the updicks by 40pts? Fucking A what is even the point of watching? Seriously I just don't see how a team loaded with talent that was recruited by all the other top schools in the league and heavy with experienced upperclassmen can suck so bad. If thats the case come fall, then its a bad omen for the Malzahn era considering a damn big majority of the kids recruited on the offensive side of the ball were done so to fit his system. And sure we can lay the blame at the feet of Chizik for shitty player development but when fall roles around that will be 8 months these guys have been under Gus' watch. I mean how fucking long does it take to get stronger and start whipping ass again?

Surely by fall, with some good summer conditioning, and the addition of some guys like Carl Lawson, we can atleast have a shot at atleast 9 wins and beating one of our rivals, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
Kinda stunned by some of the assessments of the team after A-Day. 6-6 and losing to the updicks by 40pts? Fucking A what is even the point of watching? Seriously I just don't see how a team loaded with talent that was recruited by all the other top schools in the league and heavy with experienced upperclassmen can suck so bad. If thats the case come fall, then its a bad omen for the Malzahn era considering a damn big majority of the kids recruited on the offensive side of the ball were done so to fit his system. And sure we can lay the blame at the feet of Chizik for shitty player development but when fall roles around that will be 8 months these guys have been under Gus' watch. I mean how fucking long does it take to get stronger and start whipping ass again?

Surely by fall, with some good summer conditioning, and the addition of some guys like Carl Lawson, we can atleast have a shot at atleast 9 wins and beating one of our rivals, right?
It all depends on the QB situation. If we wind up with KF, we'll do good to match last years record. With JW, 6-6 would be a good guesstimate. I believe we'll see overall improvement in play, but that one position will either make us or break us.

I say this with 100% certainty; KF is not an option for us at QB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »
watch. I mean how fudgeing long does it take to get stronger and start whipping ass again?

I think the jury is out but I don't expect 9. I think 8 or 9 will be doing great based on where Gus is starting. He's been there 4 and I think we look stronger and in better shape. Will 4 more mos put us on par with LSU and Bama physically? I doubt it. But then again, I've been called a buzz killer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »

I had a dream about four snakes in one of my rooms last night. Turns out it was because a kid mowing next door had mentioned earlier that he was fearful of snakes and the number four represents the sum total of brews I consumed before I began a fitfull sleep. Who knew?

Unless the number four represents the four teams that beat the living shit out of us last season.

A-Day's are a pathetic indicators anyway...much like my prophetic dreams.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
Well let us all pray that somewhere that Nic Marshall And Jermey Johnson are doing nothing but lifting weights, drinking protein shakes, and studying the hell out of Malzahn's playbook.

It'd be nice to this team get some grit in thier shit and suprise us all with one of these this fall.

http://www.theamazinsmovie.com/doc.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »

I think that you said the same thing about Holland at MLB, so what the hell do you know?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 01:48:36 PM »
I think that you said the same thing about Holland at MLB, so what the hell do you know?
That one was just a shot in the dark. Of this one, I'm sure - as sure as the guy who predicted television was just a passing fad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »
I had a dream about four snakes in one of my rooms last night. Turns out it was because a kid mowing next door had mentioned earlier that he was fearful of snakes and the number four represents the sum total of brews I consumed before I began a fitfull sleep. Who knew?

Unless the number four represents the four teams that beat the living shit out of us last season.

A-Day's are a pathetic indicators anyway...much like my prophetic dreams.

^This, especially when the offense runs 10 plays out of 5 offensive sets and the defense doesn't use any blitz packages.

If we used A-Day as an indicator, Cam Newton is a fast TE trying to play QB (couldn't hit the broad side of a barn 10 yards away). Also, uat would never come close to winning a National Championship, neither would any other team. This year, uat will be lucky to win 9 games, because they look like shit too.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:29:14 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
^This, especially when the offense runs 10 plays out of 5 offensive sets and the defense doesn't use any blitz packages.

If we used A-Day as an indicator, Cam Newton is a fast TE trying to play QB (couldn't hit the broad side of a barn 10 yards away). Also, uat would never come close to winning a National Championship, neither would any other team. This year, uat will be lucky to win 9 games, because they look like shit too.

I'm 11/32's sure UAT will scratch out at least nine wins.
And Zeke Pike hates you Prowler.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »
It all depends on the QB situation. If we wind up with KF, we'll do good to match last years record. With JW, 6-6 would be a good guesstimate. I believe we'll see overall improvement in play, but that one position will either make us or break us.

Completely disagree that it all depends on the QB situation.  While I'd agree that's the BIGGEST concern, and the position where an upgrade would make the MOST diffetence, we have issues/questions at the very least to down right huge, gaping holes at every position on the field.  Also would agree that a serviceable option would make us light years better.  I don't think that option is currently on campus.  There's not a mommy part hairs worth of difference in Frazier and Wallace IMHO. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »
Completely disagree that it all depends on the QB situation.  While I'd agree that's the BIGGEST concern, and the position where an upgrade would make the MOST diffetence, we have issues/questions at the very least to down right huge, gaping holes at every position on the field.  Also would agree that a serviceable option would make us light years better.  I don't think that option is currently on campus.  There's not a mommy part hairs worth of difference in Frazier and Wallace IMHO.

Damn that's close.  Especially now that most mommy parts don't have hair anymore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions