Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Garrett...not Leif or Levi

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Garrett...not Leif or Levi
« on: April 08, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »
Well, there is at least one bright spot. al.com article ....

Physical, relentless style at "Star" transforms Auburn's Justin Garrett from backup to brilliant

By Joel A. Erickson | jerickson@al.com
Follow on Twitter
on April 08, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Justin Garrett is emerging as Auburn's leader on defense this spring after moving to "Star" 'backer (Hal Yeager/The Birmingham News)     
AUBURN, Alabama -- The early favorite to emerge as an impact player on Auburn's defense is a guy who has barely played in two seasons on campus.

Finally able to roam freely, Justin Garrett has been unleashed.

Undersized at linebacker the past two seasons, Garrett has been moved to the "Star," the hybrid linebacker-safety role in Ellis Johnson's defense, and the early returns on that decision indicate it might have been the role Garrett was always meant to play.

"When we watch film, he's everywhere," Tigers cornerback Josh Holsey said. "He can be on the opposite side of the field and still end up making the play before anybody gets there on the other side of the field."

Miscast as a strong-side linebacker most of the time in Auburn's 4-3, Garrett only has one start and 21 career tackles in two seasons on campus.

But the 6-1, 214-pounder has gone from backup to the defense's big hitter, a rib-rattling presence who has suddenly become a team leader on the defensive side of the ball under Johnson and safeties coach Charlie Harbison's tutelage.

After Saturday's full scrimmage, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn was asked if any individual player stood out right away.

Only one name came to mind.

"Garrett made a couple of big hits again," Malzahn said. "He's setting the tone for the defense. We need more guys playing like him."

Beyond being a vicious tackler -- Garrett has drawn widespread praise for bringing some power to his tackles in the open field -- the former linebacker has played with a high motor that has shocked some of his teammates.

Most of Auburn's roster, both on offense and defense, is still acclimating to the fast-paced tempo of Malzahn's hurry-up, no-huddle.

Justin Garrett excited about move to the Star positionFormer linebacker Justin Garrett talks about his move to the "Star" position in Ellis Johnson's defense, a place where he feels right at home.

Garrett never slows down.

"It's just a shock," Holsey said. "It's like he doesn't get tired. The fast-paced offense, you see guys bending over. It can be the sixth play of the drive, and Justin is still going 100 miles per hour everywhere."

Halfway through spring practice, Johnson has been disappointed with Auburn's tackling at almost every spot on the field except for the Star, Garrett's new home on the field.

Moving Garrett, who played a versatile role as a safety, linebacker and blitzer from the defensive end spot at Tucker (Ga.) High, to the hybrid position in Johnson's defense has allowed the new "Star" to showcase his best talents.

Ellis Johnson calls Justin Garrett Auburn's best tacklerAuburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson outlines the Tigers' tackling problems and identifies "Star" 'backer Justin Garrett as the team's best tackler.
"He’s got great closing speed. That’s huge when you make open-field in space tackles," Johnson said. "He’s got good contact speed. in other words, when he’s about to make contact, he has that explosiveness where he runs through it and doesn’t gather and settle, he runs through things."

Before spring practice began, Johnson moved Garrett to the Star to help take advantage of his speed and put him in a spot that fit his body type better, but the move was also partly made to help fill out depth at safety for the spring until Auburn's three safety signees could arrive in the summer.

Garrett took the opportunity and started turning heads.

"“It’s just like a third safety that is a hybrid player that can play a mixture of linebacker and safety and play in the box and stop the run while also going out and cover in space," Garrett said. "When I saw that, I knew it was the perfect position for me."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: Garrett...not Leif or Levi
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
I can see the ESPN story now:

Is Auburn's "Star" on 'Roids? We don't have any proof but we know.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
Beyond being a vicious tackler -- Garrett has drawn widespread praise for bringing some power to his tackles in the open field -- the former linebacker has played with a high motor that has shocked some of his teammates.

This makes me both deliriously happy and horribly depressed at the same time.  Love the fire in the belly.  Hate that he is the only one that has it.

Another thought - how long before he is flagged/ejected for a "vicious hit"???  Not saying he would do anything intentionally, but if you really want to put on the tinfoil hat... if he is our biggest defensive star, someone give an over/under on the number of games before he gets removed from the equation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:46 AM »
This makes me both deliriously happy and horribly depressed at the same time.  Love the fire in the belly.  Hate that he is the only one that has it.

Another thought - how long before he is flagged/ejected for a "vicious hit"???  Not saying he would do anything intentionally, but if you really want to put on the tinfoil hat... if he is our biggest defensive star, someone give an over/under on the number of games before he gets removed from the equation.
Actually Bates would or shoulda been that enforcer the past two seasons at SS (not so much in form or energy) but we had a shortfall at linebac...defensive tac...uh wait, we couldn't tackle a damn soul.
Hope Garrett's attitude as an example spreads so we can force more turnovers. Bates had one of our two total picks  :sad:
I just wish him good health because it's quite another thing to nurse the results of the battering from live action.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions