Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ed Christian and Ladarius Phillips allegedly shot & killed

JR4AU

Re: Ed Christian and Ladarius Phillips allegedly shot & killed
« Reply #640 on: June 14, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »

That's what mostly irks me.  Representing a local drunk for a DUI as the appointed attorney because you got called by a family member?  Cool beans.

Representing a high profile defendant in a murder case because you waltzed into the jail with him in tow and then asked the judge to appoint you?  It just reeks of impropriety.  Not from the judge necessarily, but from James herself.

I guess it will all depend on how she initially got involved, but I'm still not comfortable with setting a precedent for competent capital defense attorneys to follow these high profile cases around and then request an appointment all for the sake of publicity.

Nothing improper about it, unless she took money from him, or somebody else for him, then asked to be appointed. 

The guys that do this stuff don't have to "chase the cases".  The judges, when they have one they know has to be handled right, pick the lawyer they know won't fuck it up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #641 on: June 14, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
I'm more intrigued by how she got involved in the first place.

It's not like she's not well known in the Montgomery area. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #642 on: June 14, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
Well Desmonte just hit the fucking appointed attorney lotto.
David Stern probably rigged that too...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #643 on: June 14, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
The guys that do this stuff don't have to "chase the cases".  The judges, when they have one they know has to be handled right, pick the lawyer they know won't fuck it up.

The difference here is that the judge didn't pick the lawyer; the lawyer requested to be picked, and the judge agreed.  Not only did the lawyer simply request to be picked, the lawyer somehow showed up with the defendant to surrender him to authorities.

Maybe she legitimately was called by the family, and despite them not being able to afford her, she agreed to take the case for publicity's sake.  Nothing wrong with that ethically, if that's how it went down.

My concern is that following around these high profile cases and requesting appointment is borderline solicitation.  Again, James may or may have not done that in this case, but I think that allowing an "outside" attorney to travel to areas lacking competent defense attorneys and requesting appointment to a specific case allows them to cherry pick their appointments for publicity.  That's not what the appointment system should be about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #644 on: June 14, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »

Dang onions are killin me right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #645 on: June 14, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
The difference here is that the judge didn't pick the lawyer; the lawyer requested to be picked, and the judge agreed.  Not only did the lawyer simply request to be picked, the lawyer somehow showed up with the defendant to surrender him to authorities.

Maybe she legitimately was called by the family, and despite them not being able to afford her, she agreed to take the case for publicity's sake.  Nothing wrong with that ethically, if that's how it went down.

My concern is that following around these high profile cases and requesting appointment is borderline solicitation.  Again, James may or may have not done that in this case, but I think that allowing an "outside" attorney to travel to areas lacking competent defense attorneys and requesting appointment to a specific case allows them to cherry pick their appointments for publicity.  That's not what the appointment system should be about.

I doubt seriously she sought out this case.  And again, they don't have to "follow them around".  In most cases, the judge would pick from a list of attorneys they know will handle it right.  Susan James is probably on the Lee County Judges "when I need a real attorney" list anyway.  It's not to say there isn't a competent attorney in Lee County to handle it, I'm certain there is.  It's just that cases like this can be considered "poison" to a local attorney.  They don't mind handling the drunks, or a run of the mill murder, but they don't want to be associated with this type case.  And, there may not be one nearly as qualified as James.  Again, they don't want this to get fucked up.  I think you're way over-thinking it.  I don't know, but suspect Woosies family felt that if they let Woosie stay on the run, he'd wind up dead by police, or beat to hell and back.  They asked around, and convinced Woosie that James would make sure he got turned in safe.  She was probably paid for her time too.  Since Woosie is probably going to be held without bond, he's indigent.  She asked to be appointed, the judge knows she's competent, and already involved.  But that's just a guess.  It all may be shady as hell, I don't know.  I think it's more fun to speculate that it is, than it being as simple as I think it is. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #646 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »

I gotta' check the ceiling tiles.  Things keep falling off them and getting in my eyes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #647 on: June 14, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »
I gotta' check the ceiling tiles.  Things keep falling off them and getting in my eyes.

Dede got me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

Vandy Vol

« Reply #648 on: June 14, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »
I doubt seriously she sought out this case.  And again, they don't have to "follow them around".  In most cases, the judge would pick from a list of attorneys they know will handle it right.  Susan James is probably on the Lee County Judges "when I need a real attorney" list anyway.  It's not to say there isn't a competent attorney in Lee County to handle it, I'm certain there is.  It's just that cases like this can be considered "poison" to a local attorney.  They don't mind handling the drunks, or a run of the mill murder, but they don't want to be associated with this type case.  And, there may not be one nearly as qualified as James.  Again, they don't want this to get fucked up.  I think you're way over-thinking it.  I don't know, but suspect Woosies family felt that if they let Woosie stay on the run, he'd wind up dead by police, or beat to hell and back.  They asked around, and convinced Woosie that James would make sure he got turned in safe.  She was probably paid for her time too.  Since Woosie is probably going to be held without bond, he's indigent.  She asked to be appointed, the judge knows she's competent, and already involved.  But that's just a guess.  It all may be shady as hell, I don't know.  I think it's more fun to speculate that it is, than it being as simple as I think it is.

I don't know whether she acted inappropriately or shady to get this case either.  What she did or didn't do is speculation on my part.

But, I just don't like the ability to walk in front of a judge, request appointment for a specific case, and then get appointed.  Again, not saying she did that...just saying that the logic of, "Well, she's competent, so give it to her if she asks for it" seems like it could cause a lot of problems down the road.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #649 on: June 14, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »

IIIIIIIIIII'm making a lasagnaaaaaaaa

*for one*
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #650 on: June 14, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
I don't know whether she acted inappropriately or shady to get this case either.  What she did or didn't do is speculation on my part.

But, I just don't like the ability to walk in front of a judge, request appointment for a specific case, and then get appointed.  Again, not saying she did that...just saying that the logic of, "Well, she's competent, so give it to her if she asks for it" seems like it could cause a lot of problems down the road.

It's not a run of the mill case.  She's more than "competent".  I would hazard a guess that in 99.9% of the cases, you couldn't just walk in, ask to be appointed, and get the appointment of a specific case.  I've never known any judge that allowed that.  This case was also unique in that a highly qualified attorney was involved before arrest.  I see no future problems coming out of it being done this way, but am willing to hear why you think there could be and what they might be. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #651 on: June 14, 2012, 02:58:42 PM »
It's not a run of the mill case.  She's more than "competent".  I would hazard a guess that in 99.9% of the cases, you couldn't just walk in, ask to be appointed, and get the appointment of a specific case.  I've never known any judge that allowed that.  This case was also unique in that a highly qualified attorney was involved before arrest.  I see no future problems coming out of it being done this way, but am willing to hear why you think there could be and what they might be.

It would all depend upon how she initially got involved.

If she was called by the family or Woosie himself, and then was appointed after already being involved, then that's fine.

If she somehow involved herself (solicitation), and then was appointed to that specific case upon request, then there's a problem there.

Even if she didn't directly solicit the defendant, but rather followed the case via news and decided to travel to request an appointment from the judge, then it's still a problem.  I don't think she did that here, considering that she brought the defendant in, but my concern was that this might set a precedent for attorneys doing that.

Basically, if you're telling me that Susan James can't randomly travel to Jasper and request appointment for a specific high profile case, then my fears are alleviated.  But, if she can travel to Jasper, request appointment for a specific case, and the judge appoints her simply because there are no competent attorneys in Jasper, then I think there's an ethical issue there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #652 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »
JR4AU batting 1000.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/06/accused_shooter_desmonte_leona.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Accused Auburn shooter Desmonte Leonard's attorney will ask for a change of venue from Lee County

Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 1:41 PM
Charles Goldberg/Auburn Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times

Susan-James-Auburn-Shootings-Bureau.JPGAttorney Susan James says she'll ask for a change of venue for Desmonte Leonard (Auburn Bureau photo)
PHENIX CITY, Alabama -- The attorney for accused Auburn shooter Desmonte Leonard will ask for a change of venue from Lee County because of the highly-charged nature of the case that involves six people being shot, including two former Auburn football players.

Attorney Susan James announced her plans Thursday at the Russell County Justice Center where she's trying another case. Earlier in the day, Leonard appeared in Circuit Court in Opelika where he was read the charges against him: Three counts of capital murder and two counts of second-degree assault. Two former Auburn football players were among the victims

Leonard was returned to the Montgomery County Jail after he was booked following his court appearance. James said she would file paperwork asking for a preliminary hearing on Friday. She said a plea is not being considered, and wouldn't take place until after an indictment. She said she doesn't expect a quick resolution.

"Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a couple of years to go to trial," James said, who said she would "actively put on a defense on his behalf."

"He has right to have his day in court."

Law enforcement searched for Leonard for three days before he turned himself in following the shooting at University Heights Apartments last Saturday. James said the delay in surrendering to law enforcement was because "he was afraid. He was in a stressful situation."

James and her investigator, Barrett Sasser, met Leonard outside of Montgomery and brought to law enforcement authorities for a pre-arranged surrender. She said the police did not know his whereabouts when she met him, and they quietly turned him in. He will remain in the Montgomery jail.

James said Leonard said he was sorry to have caused such an expansive manhunt.

"We were concerned for his safety because of the tension involved in the case," James said.

James said Leonard was "a little nervous" today because he thought he would be held in the Lee County jail, a jail about 10 miles away from where slain former Auburn football players Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips would have played for the Tigers in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"This case really is about football," James said. "Take football out of the equation. This is a tragic event in which a lot of people lost their lives."

James was asked if she thought Leonard was innocent.

"I know he's innocent because the law says he's innocent... That's not considering the facts of the case," she said.

Also killed was Auburn resident Demario Pitts. Current Auburn offensive lineman Eric Mack was wounded and released from the East Alabama Medical Center after overnight treatment. Another victim, Xavier Moss, was treated and released after the shooting. John Robertson was wounded and remains in critical condition at UAB Hospital in Birmingham.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #653 on: June 14, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
It would all depend upon how she initially got involved.

If she was called by the family or Woosie himself, and then was appointed after already being involved, then that's fine.

If she somehow involved herself (solicitation), and then was appointed to that specific case upon request, then there's a problem there.

Even if she didn't directly solicit the defendant, but rather followed the case via news and decided to travel to request an appointment from the judge, then it's still a problem.  I don't think she did that here, considering that she brought the defendant in, but my concern was that this might set a precedent for attorneys doing that.

Basically, if you're telling me that Susan James can't randomly travel to Jasper and request appointment for a specific high profile case, then my fears are alleviated.  But, if she can travel to Jasper, request appointment for a specific case, and the judge appoints her simply because there are no competent attorneys in Jasper, then I think there's an ethical issue there.

I can't speak for every judge, but I don't know any that allow an attorney to just come in, without prior involvement in the case like in this one, and say "Judge, I'd just really like you to appoint me on that fabulously famous murder case".

Here in my county, there's one, maybe 2 that they use that come out of Tuscaloosa. 

In Birmingham, there's a handful of good criminal defense attorneys that, when the case must be handled right, the judge appoint from this "elite" group.  They don't have to go ask, they get their share.  Same in Montgomery I'd imagine. 

In another county I used to work in, when it's a "got to have a good attorney that won't fuck it up" case, there's one guy out of Montgomery that gets them all. 

I've seen literally thousands of appointments, and the only time I've ever seen an attorney request to be appointed is when he could show the judge that he'd been paid a little money up front, that his client was indigent, and that he'd billed against what he'd been paid, and that the case was going to take much more time, and that it would be best to keep him on the case so the next appointed attorney didn't have to start from scratch.  (And I'm not talking a $50K retainer that got eaten up by your hourly rate...you take that kind of money, you're on the case...I'm talking like took $500 from an Auntee, and now there's no more, and your client doesn't work.)  There was, at one time, an attorney that was abusing this.  He'd go solicite people in jail, tell them to get momma to bring him $500 and he'd get them out, then he'd try the "judge I've been on the case and my client can't pay any more" routine.  When judges caught on to him, which didn't take long, it nearly cost him ever getting any more appointments ever again.

Also, appointed cases are capped.  I don't know for sure what the cap is, and it depends on the level of charge.  Class A Felony is $4000, Class B is $3000, Class C is $2000.  There is no cap on Capital Murder, but I did a couple when I was in private practice, and keeping up with all expenses, and working them diligently was still only able to bill @$30K, and that after 2 years time.  The hourly rate the state pays is probably less than a third what James, and other attorneys of her ilk charge per hour.  It's only worth it time wise in a case that is high profile, and gets you media exposure.  Still, no judge I know is going to allow that.  James' prior involvement here was the reason.  Whether she solicited that involvement only she and Woosie know.   My professional knowledge of her leads me to suspect she didn't. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #654 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »
I can't speak for every judge, but I don't know any that allow an attorney to just come in, without prior involvement in the case like in this one, and say "Judge, I'd just really like you to appoint me on that fabulously famous murder case".

. . .

I've seen literally thousands of appointments, and the only time I've ever seen an attorney request to be appointed is when he could show the judge that he'd been paid a little money up front, that his client was indigent, and that he'd billed against what he'd been paid, and that the case was going to take much more time, and that it would be best to keep him on the case so the next appointed attorney didn't have to start from scratch.

That makes sense, and is more in tune with what I thought should happen.

My professional knowledge of her leads me to suspect she didn't.

"Professional knowledge," hmmm?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »
That makes sense, and is more in tune with what I thought should happen.

"Professional knowledge," hmmm?

Carnal....Professional.....Tomato....Tomahto...

Kwerstion #1.  Has it been established that Leonard pulled the piece and started shooting when the fight broke out or did he leave and come back with it?  I've heard both versions.  The PF caller who claimed to be his friend said he pulled it right then.

Kwerstion #2.  Will Susan James use the Woosie defense?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #656 on: June 14, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
Carnal....Professional.....Tomato....Tomahto...

Kwerstion #1.  Has it been established that Leonard pulled the piece and started shooting when the fight broke out or did he leave and come back with it?  I've heard both versions.  The PF caller who claimed to be his friend said he pulled it right then.

If he went and got the gun, and came back, he has no viable defense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #657 on: June 14, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury, this is Desmonte Leonard.  Desmonte Leonard is a Woosie from Montgomery.  But he was found in Auburn with football players.  Now think about it.  That does not make sense.  Why would a Woosie, a 5'6" tall Woosie, hang around 6'5" football players?  THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #658 on: June 14, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury, this is Desmonte Leonard.  Desmonte Leonard is a Woosie from Montgomery.  But he was found in Auburn with football players.  Now think about it.  That does not make sense.  Why would a Woosie, a 5'6" tall Woosie, hang around 6'5" football players?  THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

I'm beginning to think Woosie is the victim here.  Preach on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #659 on: June 14, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."