Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ed Christian and Ladarius Phillips allegedly shot & killed

JR4AU

Re: Ed Christian and Ladarius Phillips allegedly shot & killed
« Reply #620 on: June 14, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »
Didn't realize you were actually disputing whether or not the official word is that she was court appointed. You think that just got pulled out of someone's ass?

I thought you were suggesting there is some shenanigans afoot, which is an idea I'm entertaining at present...

I think bloggers say shit they don't know.  I trust the OAN verified it.  And as I said above, thinking about it, it's not an unusual move.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:03:40 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #621 on: June 14, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Well, I wasn't thinking about it, but it's a high profile case, and likely no local attorneys want it anyway.  And it's Capital, so the judge is appointing someone he knows won't fuck it up and cause it to come back on appeal.  Not so unusual now that I think about it.

I can see that.  But at the same time, I'm sure there are other attorneys on the appointment list who are capable of handling capital cases.  Why effectively let the defendant choose their attorney when they are going to request an appointed attorney?

Maybe the court determined that if James was able to get Leonard to turn himself in, then they already have a working relationship and a level of trust that wouldn't be present with a randomly appointed attorney.

But, even then, doesn't this just give incentive for attorneys to "ambulance chase" these high profile criminal cases and request appointment for the publicity?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

JR4AU

« Reply #622 on: June 14, 2012, 12:08:08 PM »
I can see that.  But at the same time, I'm sure there are other attorneys on the appointment list who are capable of handling capital cases.  Why effectively let the defendant choose their attorney when they are going to request an appointed attorney?

Maybe the court determined that if James was able to get Leonard to turn himself in, then they already have a working relationship and a level of trust that wouldn't be present with a randomly appointed attorney.

But, even then, doesn't this just give incentive for attorneys to "ambulance chase" these high profile criminal cases and request appointment for the publicity?

In small towns, many times the local attorneys don't want these high profile capital cases.  The judge likely has a short list of highly qualified attorneys he gives them too, and I'd wager they are mostly Montgomery attorneys.  Most capital cases I have in my circuit, the lawyers come from Tuscaloosa or Birmingham whether hired or appointed.  Not all, but most. 

And, as I said, You want an attorney you trust won't fuck it up and cause an appeal or Rule 32 to be successful.  The Ct. of Crim. Appeals runs about 98% affirmation rate these days, but the one's they send back are capital cases.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #623 on: June 14, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
Well Desmonte just hit the fucking appointed attorney lotto.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #624 on: June 14, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
Do all court appointed attys get paid the same?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »
It's not the read it part...

Fuck it...nevermind...

Thanks for clearing that up genius.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »

Yes.  Because the government is footing the bill (partially, if not all, through fees paid by attorneys), there are set in-court and out-of-court rates for appointed attorneys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #627 on: June 14, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »

JR can answer that better than I but when I was doing court appointed cases, the hourly rate was the same for all. However, I think there was a much bigger allowance for murder cases and you had to have at least 5 years under your belt before the court would apoint you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #628 on: June 14, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »
In small towns, many times the local attorneys don't want these high profile capital cases.  The judge likely has a short list of highly qualified attorneys he gives them too, and I'd wager they are mostly Montgomery attorneys.  Most capital cases I have in my circuit, the lawyers come from Tuscaloosa or Birmingham whether hired or appointed.  Not all, but most. 

And, as I said, You want an attorney you trust won't fuck it up and cause an appeal or Rule 32 to be successful.  The Ct. of Crim. Appeals runs about 98% affirmation rate these days, but the one's they send back are capital cases.

Sure, I get that.  But like you said, the court has a list of Montgomery attorneys who are capable of handling capital cases.  Why allow an attorney to request the appointment presumably for publicity's sake?  It just looks like you're giving incentive for any attorney who is capable of handling capital cases to request and receive appointments in high profile cases for advertising purposes.

As an aside, does anyone know if James got the reward for bringing him in?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #629 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
I actually made the call after I found Woosie.  Pickin' up my $30G's this afternoon.  Beers anyone?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #630 on: June 14, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »
I actually made the call after I found Woosie.  Pickin' up my $30G's this afternoon.  Beers anyone?
You would have saved the state a lot of money if you had just drug the carcass in to collect.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #631 on: June 14, 2012, 12:43:08 PM »
Meh, I forgot that the case wasn't in Montgomery.  So my comment about the list of Montgomery attorneys was full tard.

Nonetheless, I would like to know whether the judge actually attempted to find other attorneys in the area for appointment, or if he just immediately accepted James' request.

If there are literally no attorneys in Lee County or the surrounding area who the judge has on an appointment list and knows they can handle a capital case, then James' appointment makes sense.  It still sort of irks me, but at least I see the logic behind it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #632 on: June 14, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »
Meh, I forgot that the case wasn't in Montgomery.  So my comment about the list of Montgomery attorneys was full tard.

Nonetheless, I would like to know whether the judge actually attempted to find other attorneys in the area for appointment, or if he just immediately accepted James' request.

If there are literally no attorneys in Lee County or the surrounding area who the judge has on an appointment list and knows they can handle a capital case, then James' appointment makes sense.  It still sort of irks me, but at least I see the logic behind it.

I got a call one time from a family member of a guy in jail.  Went to meet with him and he said he'd ask the Court to appoint me at his First Appearance the next day since we'd already me and discussed the case.  I showed up and even though I wasn't on this Judge's list, he appointed me to represent him.  I don't see the appointment of James as that unusual since she was already involved and has a good reputation.  I'm more intrigued by how she got involved in the first place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #633 on: June 14, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »

If there are literally no attorneys in Lee County or the surrounding area who the judge has on an appointment list and knows they can handle a capital case, then James' appointment makes sense.

You know better than that.

All things considered she is slam dunk choice as far as making sure it gets done right he first time...but I want to know how the fuck she got involved in the first place. Woosie's momma just looked in the yellow pages?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #634 on: June 14, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #635 on: June 14, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
You know better than that.

I never know better.

Unless it involves LEDs.  Then I know all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #636 on: June 14, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
Sure, I get that.  But like you said, the court has a list of Montgomery attorneys who are capable of handling capital cases.  Why allow an attorney to request the appointment presumably for publicity's sake?  It just looks like you're giving incentive for any attorney who is capable of handling capital cases to request and receive appointments in high profile cases for advertising purposes.

As an aside, does anyone know if James got the reward for bringing him in?

She can't claim a reward for bringing him in.  I can't answer the question of why the judge honored her request. 

All court appointed attorneys get the same hourly rate.  Last I heard it's $70 or $75 an hour, and there's no cap on capital cases. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #637 on: June 14, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
I'm more intrigued by how she got involved in the first place.

All things considered she is slam dunk choice as far as making sure it gets done right he first time...but I want to know how the fuck she got involved in the first place. Woosie's momma just looked in the yellow pages?

That's what mostly irks me.  Representing a local drunk for a DUI as the appointed attorney because you got called by a family member?  Cool beans.

Representing a high profile defendant in a murder case because you waltzed into the jail with him in tow and then asked the judge to appoint you?  It just reeks of impropriety.  Not from the judge necessarily, but from James herself.

I guess it will all depend on how she initially got involved, but I'm still not comfortable with setting a precedent for competent capital defense attorneys to follow these high profile cases around and then request an appointment all for the sake of publicity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #638 on: June 14, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »

That's what mostly irks me.  Representing a local drunk for a DUI as the appointed attorney because you got called by a family member?  Cool beans.

Representing a high profile defendant in a murder case because you waltzed into the jail with him in tow and then asked the judge to appoint you?  It just reeks of impropriety.  Not from the judge necessarily, but from James herself.

I guess it will all depend on how she initially got involved, but I'm still not comfortable with setting a precedent for competent capital defense attorneys to follow these high profile cases around and then request an appointment all for the sake of publicity.

Well c'mon.  You know she ain't getting any work based on her looks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
Well c'mon.  You know she ain't getting any work based on her looks.

My looks are how I get all of my clients.

...and explains why they're all hobbits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions