Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ed Christian and Ladarius Phillips allegedly shot & killed

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Ed Christian and Ladarius Phillips allegedly shot & killed
« Reply #480 on: June 13, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »
No way in hell to predict what a jury will do.  I would guess that a Lee Co. jury is pretty white, and conservative for the most part.  You can talk about how you'd feel and react if you were on the jury to what they might or might not use as a defense, but you don't know all the facts, and you're not on the jury.  The fact that it, at least right now, seems to be that someone else started the jawing match, and that the Defendant was hit over the head with a bottle might matter to a jury.  I can't see him walking on killing 3 people who were merely bystanders, but you never know what a jury will do, and we don't know all the facts or testimony that will or might come out at trial.  And, he may take a plea to something less.  Very early stages now.

Correct me if I am wrong but on the death penalty and capital murder, won't intent to kill and premeditation be hard to prove here? Believe me I want him to fry, but I just don't see it happening. Especially since he turned himself in with no incident.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #481 on: June 13, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »
I can give you his address in Auburn if you want to knock on his door and ask him out on a date. He has a lovely home near the Moore's Mill area. Old English tudor style. The 3 car garage is a nice touch I must say.

Please be to posting. I think we could manage an X'er field trip on this one. I just know Chizik would
love it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #482 on: June 13, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »
Please be to posting. I think we could manage an X'er field trip on this one. I just know Chizik would
love it.

I know a certain Houston girl that would make the trip.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2012, 09:57:52 AM »
I know a certain Houston girl that would make the trip.

AWK moved to Houston?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #484 on: June 13, 2012, 09:58:43 AM »
Pretty much no way he gets the death penalty. If he had been in that attic? Perhaps a different story.

When he had handed himself over to police, I wanted to be happy, but I was a bit dejected knowing that that had to have dramatically lowered his sentence there would be no thermal imaging.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

« Reply #485 on: June 13, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »
love it.

Seriously rode by their a couple of weeks ago. Nice joint. But you worry me with your homoeroticism, even if it is a fine Auburn man like Gene Chizik. Hell you can't even meet me to fish at Lake Eufaula and you live there. How you gonna get up to Auburn to profess your man love to Gene?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #486 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but on the death penalty and capital murder, won't intent to kill and premeditation be hard to prove here? Believe me I want him to fry, but I just don't see it happening. Especially since he turned himself in with no incident.

Transferred intent.

He was fucked the moment he pulled the trigger attempting to shoot anyone. 

As for premeditation, it can happen in an instant. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #487 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:03 AM »
Transferred intent.

He was fucked the moment he pulled the trigger.

Agree. But proving that to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt would be hard though, no?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #488 on: June 13, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »
Agree. But proving that to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt would be hard though, no?

With the caveat that you never know what a jury will do, I don't think proving intent or premeditation will be difficult at all.

He fired a gun into a crowd of people.  He intended to hit/hurt someone and the deadly nature of the weapon gets you to intent to kill.

If, as the reports say, there was a moment or two between the altercation and Woosie's firing, then there was plenty of time to have premeditated the manner in which he was going to lash out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #489 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »
With the caveat that you never know what a jury will do, I don't think proving intent or premeditation will be difficult at all.

He fired a gun into a crowd of people.  He intended to hit/hurt someone and the deadly nature of the weapon gets you to intent to kill.

If, as the reports say, there was a moment or two between the altercation and Woosie's firing, then there was plenty of time to have premeditated the manner in which he was going to lash out.

Fair enough. And I hope the jury convicts him. I'm just not that optimistic. I hope I am wrong.

Do you think the prosecutor will roll the dice a bit and go for Capital as they did with Casey Anthony or will they merely go for the easy slam dunk murder (not capital) charge? I'm curious to how this will play out. I believe JR knows the Lee County prosecutor, Treese. His asst prosecuted the murder trial I sat on last year about this time and I was pretty impressed as a juror.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #490 on: June 13, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
My thought, strictly based on what I know at this point, is he won't get the death penalty.  Plus, he lawyer'd up nicely.

Yes, Susan is a damn fine attorney.

To those discussing it: there's no "premeditation" in Alabama law.  Intent can be formed in the blink of an eye according to case law. 

This case will turn on facts, and moreover, how those facts are presented.  The defense, and it's a viable one, will likely be this: "Some dude started jawing about my homie's girl, they started arguing, this one dude hit my homie, then next thing I know, I got hit over the head, and I was like 'damn' and I was kinda dazed, and I saw a dude coming at me, looked like he had something he was going to hit me with, and I pulled out my gat and shoosted at him, but I was so dazed from the hit on the head, I guess my aim was off".  If you think it's not a viable defense, you're kidding yourself.  It's, at the very least, enough to save him from the death penalty, and IMHO, easily could by him a Manslaughter conviction.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:32:46 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #491 on: June 13, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Seriously rode by their a couple of weeks ago. Nice joint. But you worry me with your homoeroticism, even if it is a fine Auburn man like Gene Chizik. Hell you can't even meet me to fish at Lake Eufaula and you live there. How you gonna get up to Auburn to profess your man love to Gene?

Hey hey, you what my digits be. Its Snaggle thats afraid. He prolly scared of what his wife would do/say.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #492 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:25 AM »
None of this will matter. Woosie is not a white hispanic, so this black on black crime will take two years to prosecute and then slowly fizz away. All the while, you bama taxpayers are footing the bill for three hots and cot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #493 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:42 AM »
Also, don't know if they had the Benjamins to hire Susan for anything more than negotiating the peaceful surrender.  If they did, he's got somebody backing him with a load of cash.  Can't see her taking this case without $50K in cash up front.  And it wouldn't shock me if it took 6 figures.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #494 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
Yes, Susan is a damn fine attorney.

To those discussing it: there's no "premeditation" in Alabama law.  Intent can be formed in the blink of an eye according to case law. 

This case will turn on facts, and moreover, how those facts are presented.  The defense, and it's a viable one, will likely be this: "Some dude started jawing about my homie's girl, they started arguing, this one dude hit my homie, then next thing I know, I got hit over the head, and I was like 'damn' and I was kinda dazed, and I saw a dude coming at me, looked like he had something he was going to hit me with, and I pulled out my gat and shoosted at him, but I was so dazed from the hit on the head, I guess my aim was off".  If you think it's not a viable defense, you're kidding yourself.  It's, at the very least, enough to save him from the death penalty, and IMHO, easily could by him a Manslaughter conviction.

THAT defense you just described is exactly what scares me. Because it can be very believeable when presented by a slick defense atty who knows how to get in a juror's head. I did not know about the "no premeditation" law in Alabama. Makes things a little better. Ever since the Casey Anthony trial, Ive just been real cautious of Capital Murder charges and making them stick. I guess it's the prosecutor's call on the %'s. JR, what would you do in this case (since this is what you do)? Hypothetically of course.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #495 on: June 13, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
None of this will matter. Woosie is not a white hispanic, so this black on black crime will take two years to prosecute and then slowly fizz away. All the while, you bama taxpayers are footing the bill for three hots and cot.

No, this aint going away quietly, and won't linger longer than necessary.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #496 on: June 13, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »
No, this aint going away quietly, and won't linger longer than necessary.   

If this was in Montgomery or in Russell Country (neighboring Lee), I would agree with CCT. Since it's in Lee, I concur with your statement. It's all about demographics, wrongly or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #497 on: June 13, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
If this was in Montgomery or in Russell Country (neighboring Lee), I would agree with CCT. Since it's in Lee, I concur with your statement. It's all about demographics, wrongly or not.

But with that being said, what is the first thing his lawyer will ask for?

CHANGE OF VENUE!

Then it fizzes away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #498 on: June 13, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »

Treese has been bombarded with these high profile cases relatively speaking.  The girl that was kidnapped and murdered, though that was before he was the head guy, Updyke, the Felony 4, and now this.  Seeing how he's already gotten one of the Felony 4 convicted, that tells me he's moving them pretty fast. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #499 on: June 13, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »
But with that being said, what is the first thing his lawyer will ask for?

CHANGE OF VENUE!

Then it fizzes away.

Big fucking deal legal genius.  She can ask for anything, there's no cause to have this venue changed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions