Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Roll Tide/War Eagle

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Roll Tide/War Eagle
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
If you didn't go in expecting it to be slanted to bammer, it was unbiased.  If you pick and choose what you want you can slant it either way.  I would think the "normal" bammer would be embarrassed by the prominence of Updyke.   Auburn fans, compared to that of Updyke came across "normal". 

The tornado happened.  It's a fact.

Gelks?  Hell I don't even recall that really, and they could have, but didn't even mention Eric Ramsey. 

Here's the thing.  You can't explain this rivalry to someone in North Dakota, or California in an hour documentary, and have them understand it.   It told me NOTHING I didn't already know, but I wasn't the target demographic. 

If you think it painted bammer in a positive light, more power to you.  You didn't watch.  I'd be embarrassed if I was them. 

Auburn didn't cause the tornado. 

If you wanted to find bias, you could find it from either side. 

As far as being good TV...not so much. 

Unlike it's billing, the film was pretty much about the last 2 seasons, and nothing more.

Was thinking the same thing about Ramsay/Watkins no mention.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2011, 12:01:29 AM »
I recorded it but have not watched it yet. If I was to judge by the FB posts of my UAT and AU friends, it sounds like it might have made UAT look a little bad. So far all of my AU friends are giving the show props, while a couple of UAT friends are claiming it was biased.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2011, 02:21:08 AM »
I recorded it but have not watched it yet. If I was to judge by the FB posts of my UAT and AU friends, it sounds like it might have made UAT look a little bad. So far all of my AU friends are giving the show props, while a couple of UAT friends are claiming it was biased.

Unless you went in thinking "I'm going to hate this because I know it's biased", then you can't think that.  If you hate it because it wasn't great at dealing with the subject matter, then you're on target. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
Btw, I'm happy as hell that the '10 Iron Bowl is still affecting Gay Talese (fuckin' arrogant old man).

Also...*Note to self*...Don't ever piss off Takeo Spikes...Ever...No matter what. I've forgotten how badass that mutha fucker is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2011, 06:33:43 AM »
Coach Pat Dye has his finger on the pulse of the rivalry better than anyone.

Alabama has no persona to match the likes of Bo Jackson, Charles Barkley and Cam Newton.

Updyke is a demented Bear worshiper.

The result of the tornado(s)  is a story unto itself.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2011, 06:37:32 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2011, 07:30:41 AM »
The documentary could have focused on so many other things to portray this as the most intense rivalry in college football. 

More details on the history of the two schools.

More details on how the game was suspended for 40 years and the importance of it coming back.

The economic implications of the two football teams and the game for the state.

Punt Bama Punt.

The 9 game win streak in the 70s and how the Bear dominated. 

Bo Over the Top and how it changed the momentum of the rivalry. 

The 1989 Iron Bowl and how the game had been played in Birmingham for so many years with Auburn promising that things would be different if the game would be moved to Auburn every other year.

The streak and how Alabama answered it with a 36-0 beat down in Tuscaloosa. 

The 2009/2010 seasons (which they did include). 

They could have also discussed how the state can produce two of the top football programs in the country despite having one of the smaller populations and being considered extremely poor.  You want to discuss the lunacy of football fans?  Take a few shots of the black belt and post our education statistics then talk about how much money and effort goes into keeping the football programs top notch. 

Instead, we got the typical Finebaum caller bullshit:

Gene Jelks was paid by an AU booster.  (Unsubstantiated)
Fans of both schools think and do irrational things to hurt each other.  (Harvey Updyke's the only one I know of)
Both schools cheat or try to catch the other cheating.  (Logan Young did try to purchase a player.  Cam Newton allegations were all made up by rival fans and perpetuated by Danny Sheridan and Paul Finebaum and Pete Thamel.) 
Auburn fans rolled Toomer's when the Bear died.  (Never happened.  No proof of anything like that happening except the bogus claims by a few fringe Alabama fans.) 
Charles Barkley fulfilling what ALabama fans want Auburn fans to think - that we have an inferiority complex. (Maybe in the 1970s, but in my time as an Auburn fan, I haven't seen it.)
Use Barkley to insinuate that Auburn may have used race as a reason to not hire Turner Gill.  (Auburn may have never had a black head coach in football, but Turner Gill sucked and that story was dead a long time ago.)

I guess I felt like with the topics they chose to talk about in the documentary, it should have been more biased against Alabama. 

Instead, they used bullshit allegations to help convince the uninformed fan living in another state that everyone here is backwoods and redneck.  (Successful if my Facebook, Tigerdroppings, and Twitter have anything to say about it)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:31:25 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2011, 09:13:35 AM »
Fans of both schools think and do irrational things to hurt each other.  (Harvey Updyke's the only one I know of)
Both schools cheat or try to catch the other cheating.  (Logan Young did try to purchase a player.  Cam Newton allegations were all made up by rival fans and perpetuated by Danny Sheridan and Paul Finebaum and Pete Thamel.)
Auburn fans rolled Toomer's when the Bear died.  (Never happened.  No proof of anything like that happening except the bogus claims by a few fringe Alabama fans.)
Charles Barkley fulfilling what ALabama fans want Auburn fans to think - that we have an inferiority complex. (Maybe in the 1970s, but in my time as an Auburn fan, I haven't seen it.)
Use Barkley to insinuate that Auburn may have used race as a reason to not hire Turner Gill.  (Auburn may have never had a black head coach in football, but Turner Gill sucked and that story was dead a long time ago.)

I guess I felt like with the topics they chose to talk about in the documentary, it should have been more biased against Alabama.

Instead, they used bullshit allegations to help convince the uninformed fan living in another state that everyone here is backwoods and redneck.  (Successful if my Facebook, Tigerdroppings, and Twitter have anything to say about it)

^^^THIS...ALL OF IT^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »
Brace yourself. It's gonna get long.

The documentary could have focused on so many other things to portray this as the most intense rivalry in college football. 

It was a one hour documentary. It was marketed as the story of the craziness that has been the last two years in this rivalry and Alabama's 2009 National Championship/Heisman/Close Iron Bowl comeback victory vs. Auburn's 2010 National Championship/Heisman/Close Iron Bowl comeback victory. It was about the present Saban/Chizik era. It was about the Toomer's poisoning and the tornadoes that struck Tuscaloosa. It was about the brief second where we chilled out on the vitriol because of that. It was about how it didn't last long. I thought it handled all of that well. Is it the be all/end all documentary on all things Iron Bowl? You would need a 6 hour miniseries to even begin to do it the justice you're expecting. The only purpose of mentioning the history of the rivalry before Saban/Chizik arrived is to set the backdrop for how deep-seated the rivalry is. Not to explore it in great detail. Perhaps another documentary will.

More details on how the game was suspended for 40 years and the importance of it coming back.
Covered. Again, there's only 1 hour to tell the story of the last two years. What do you want them to do here besides what they did. Explain why it happened, and explain that it was miserable and explain why it came back.

I think it was suggested that it's a big deal. They may not have gone into an hour's worth of detail with interviewing local business owners and economists, but that wasn't what this film was about. And that film would be boring, if you ask me.

Punt Bama Punt.
Covered.

Covered.

Covered.

The 1989 Iron Bowl and how the game had been played in Birmingham for so many years with Auburn promising that things would be different if the game would be moved to Auburn every other year.
This might have been interesting, I agree. But again, with time limitations, and for the purposes of setting up the actual story of this documentary, it had to be condensed to "Bear dominated, but Bo over the top ended 9 years of Auburn agony, and it's never been the same since." Works for me. The way they approached it actually plays to Auburn's favor a bit.

Reread my previous answer.

Which was the intended focus of this film.

They could have also discussed how the state can produce two of the top football programs in the country despite having one of the smaller populations and being considered extremely poor.  You want to discuss the lunacy of football fans?  Take a few shots of the black belt and post our education statistics then talk about how much money and effort goes into keeping the football programs top notch.
Again, give them more than an hour to tell the 2009/2010 story, and perhaps they could explore this.

Like it or not, it's part of the story. Especially in the Harvey Updyke story, which is an integral part of the last two years' drama. The more he was on screen, the worse for Bama, and the better for Auburn. It's not like they were promoting his book or something. Bama fans were represented as crazy. There was no equivalent to him, or even the random calls they played, from the Auburn side.

Agree, that could have been left out. But I think he looked stupid saying "Some Auburn guy paid me to come out, I don't remember who it was." Sounds like he's trying to save face, which is supported by his renewed interest in redemption that he also sought by returning to Tuscaloosa for tornado relief. The bottom line is, they mentioned Bama paying Gene Jelks and didn't mention a damn thing about Eric Ramsey. The only allegations about Auburn cheating, was a brief synopsis of Cam-gate, which the film ended with stating the NCAA cleared Auburn and Cam of all wrongdoing and Cam saying "Of course I'm not gonna have to give my Heisman back."

Didn't get that out of it. They didn't show any other examples. They showed crazy assed Updyke, and others saying vitriolic hateful things about Auburn. They made it look, to me, like the whole fanbase was a bunch of assholes. But what does the Auburn coaches, players, and fans do when tragedy hits Tuscaloosa? They take the high road and lend a helping hand. To me, it portrayed Auburn fans as having the human decency that Alabama fans lack. It didn't mention the superficial Tuscaloosa for Toomer's shit.

Didn't get your first sentence out of it. Definitely got the parenthetical out of it.

Agree with this. Wish they would have refuted it. But ultimately, it wasn't an interviewee that said that, it was one of the batshit Finebaum callers, which I think rational people will dismiss as such.

Agree with this. But blame Sir Charles. We know the man has no filter. It's part of his gift and his curse. In his defense, he was saying this in the segment that was talking about Bear Bryant's reign, when it probably was the case. Again, I wish he didn't say it. I also wish they would have given him space to retract his statements on Turner Gill by pointing out Chizik's success and Gill's failure since the hire was made. But I doubt he offered that to the cameras and they just didn't air it.

There's your trouble. Of course we do. We're homers. We're bitter. This documentary wasn't called "Roll Tide Cheating Redneck Sons Of Bitches/War Fucking Eagle, Noble Gentlemen", although I would have preferred that title. It wasn't produced by the Auburn athletic department. It's not made for Auburn fans by Auburn fans. It was an attempt to tell an even-handed story about how crazy the last two years of this rivalry has gotten. To me, if I'm looking at it objectively, I think it painted Bama fans much worse than Auburn fans. They have Updyke, they cheated and paid Jelks, and they were ungrateful when Auburn fans and coaches lent a helping hand after the hurricane. The only dark spot that was probably planned originally to play against Auburn was the Cam stuff, but since he was cleared it was more about the allegations from bammers, and the classlessness of playing "Take the Money and Run", etc.

As I was typing this, I had a group of people come up to my desk and said "Wow. I had no idea it was that bad. I mean, I've heard, but wow. That was really interesting." They came to me for follow-up information. They didn't know about the Iron Bowl being suspended. I filled them in on some of the details. Some of them didn't even know about Updyke. Their impression of him was not good, to say the least. "His excuse was he has too much Bama in him? What a crazy redneck." That was the purpose of this documentary. To inform people who have no idea about this stuff. To try to at least scratch the surface in explaining how crazy the rivalry truly is.

As an Auburn fan, of course there were a few things I would have changed, but then it wouldn't have been as even and unbiased as it was.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:07:08 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »

Punt Bama Punt.

Their hasn't been an inferiority complex on the FB field since Pat Dye was hired. Hard to have one when you have the upper hand the last 30 years. And before 1958 Auburn was the better school as well. Everything those fucktards have done has been in response to our success. I.e. => Auburn 1957 NC with Shug, 1958 Bama hires Bear. Bammers like to believe that inferiority line of bullshit to make themselves feel better. Unfortunately, some Auburn folks have started believing it. Bama good ole boys like Talese are the very ones who have perpetuated the stereotype that we are 2nd class idiots at Auburn. Looking at the majority of their fanbase, I find that school of though extremely ironic. My only guess is that to the Bama good old boy club, people in their base like Updyke and the like are used as "useful idiots" in the war.

And Bama actually PAID for Gene Jelks. At most, an AU booster merely forked over some money to get the truth exposed. In direct contast, Eric Ramsey was SETUP with a tape recorder for the sole purpose of getting Auburn in trouble, with his hand out! Huge difference....but no, don't mention any of that.

It was a valid effort on the director's part but it just proves that an outsider will never be able to convey the true story and tone of the rivalry. It was as good as could be expected from a company HQ in the Northeast.

I can't believe 1989 wasn't touched.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:10:26 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »
Brace yourself. It's gonna get long.
It was a one hour documentary. It was marketed as the story of the craziness that has been the last two years in this rivalry and Alabama's 2009 National Championship/Heisman/Close Iron Bowl comeback victory vs. Auburn's 2010 National Championship/Heisman/Close Iron Bowl comeback victory. It was about the present Saban/Chizik era. It was about the Toomer's poisoning and the tornadoes that struck Tuscaloosa. It was about the brief second where we chilled out on the vitriol because of that. It was about how it didn't last long. I thought it handled all of that well. Is it the be all/end all documentary on all things Iron Bowl? You would need a 6 hour miniseries to even begin to do it the justice you're expecting. The only purpose of mentioning the history of the rivalry before Saban/Chizik arrived is to set the backdrop for how deep-seated the rivalry is. Not to explore it in great detail. Perhaps another documentary will.
Covered. Again, there's only 1 hour to tell the story of the last two years. What do you want them to do here besides what they did. Explain why it happened, and explain that it was miserable and explain why it came back.
I think it was suggested that it's a big deal. They may not have gone into an hour's worth of detail with interviewing local business owners and economists, but that wasn't what this film was about. And that film would be boring, if you ask me.
 Covered.
Covered.
Covered.
This might have been interesting, I agree. But again, with time limitations, and for the purposes of setting up the actual story of this documentary, it had to be condensed to "Bear dominated, but Bo over the top ended 9 years of Auburn agony, and it's never been the same since." Works for me. The way they approached it actually plays to Auburn's favor a bit.
Reread my previous answer.
Which was the intended focus of this film.
Again, give them more than an hour to tell the 2009/2010 story, and perhaps they could explore this.
Like it or not, it's part of the story. Especially in the Harvey Updyke story, which is an integral part of the last two years' drama. The more he was on screen, the worse for Bama, and the better for Auburn. It's not like they were promoting his book or something. Bama fans were represented as crazy. There was no equivalent to him, or even the random calls they played, from the Auburn side.
Agree, that could have been left out. But I think he looked stupid saying "Some Auburn guy paid me to come out, I don't remember who it was." Sounds like he's trying to save face, which is supported by his renewed interest in redemption that he also sought by returning to Tuscaloosa for tornado relief. The bottom line is, they mentioned Bama paying Gene Jelks and didn't mention a damn thing about Eric Ramsey. The only allegations about Auburn cheating, was a brief synopsis of Cam-gate, which the film ended with stating the NCAA cleared Auburn and Cam of all wrongdoing and Cam saying "Of course I'm not gonna have to give my Heisman back."
Didn't get that out of it. They didn't show any other examples. They showed crazy assed Updyke, and others saying vitriolic hateful things about Auburn. They made it look, to me, like the whole fanbase was a bunch of assholes. But what does the Auburn coaches, players, and fans do when tragedy hits Tuscaloosa? They take the high road and lend a helping hand. To me, it portrayed Auburn fans as having the human decency that Alabama fans lack. It didn't mention the superficial Tuscaloosa for Toomer's shit.
 Didn't get your first sentence out of it. Definitely got the parenthetical out of it.
Agree with this. Wish they would have refuted it. But ultimately, it wasn't an interviewee that said that, it was one of the batshit Finebaum callers, which I think rational people will dismiss as such.
Agree with this. But blame Sir Charles. We know the man has no filter. It's part of his gift and his curse. In his defense, he was saying this in the segment that was talking about Bear Bryant's reign, when it probably was the case. Again, I wish he didn't say it. I also wish they would have given him space to retract his statements on Turner Gill by pointing out Chizik's success and Gill's failure since the hire was made. But I doubt he offered that to the cameras and they just didn't air it.
There's your trouble. Of course we do. We're homers. We're bitter. This documentary wasn't called "Roll Tide Cheating Redneck Sons Of Bitches/War Fucking Eagle, Noble Gentlemen", although I would have preferred that title. It wasn't produced by the Auburn athletic department. It's not made for Auburn fans by Auburn fans. It was an attempt to tell an even-handed story about how crazy the last two years of this rivalry has gotten. To me, if I'm looking at it objectively, I think it painted Bama fans much worse than Auburn fans. They have Updyke, they cheated and paid Jelks, and they were ungrateful when Auburn fans and coaches lent a helping hand after the hurricane. The only dark spot that was probably planned originally to play against Auburn was the Cam stuff, but since he was cleared it was more about the allegations from bammers, and the classlessness of playing "Take the Money and Run", etc.

As I was typing this, I had a group of people come up to my desk and said "Wow. I had no idea it was that bad. I mean, I've heard, but wow. That was really interesting." They came to me for follow-up information. They didn't know about the Iron Bowl being suspended. I filled them in on some of the details. Some of them didn't even know about Updyke. Their impression of him was not good, to say the least. "His excuse was he has too much Bama in him? What a crazy redneck." That was the purpose of this documentary. To inform people who have no idea about this stuff. To try to at least scratch the surface in explaining how crazy the rivalry truly is.

As an Auburn fan, of course there were a few things I would have changed, but then it wouldn't have been as even and unbiased as it was.

Then the premise of the film was wrong. If you are going to do a film on the entire rivalry, then do that. If they just wanted to do an entertainment film on Finebaum, 2009, 2010 and Updyke, then call it what it is. Roll Tide/War Eagle encompasses the entire rivalry.

You are telling me they can give Finebaum and Updyke 20-30 mins of airtime in a 1 hour documentary but not touch the most important game in the rivalry - 1989? Not touch on Ramsey? THS was spot on. If the objective of this film was to paint the lunacy of the last 2 years, it hit the mark. I just don't agree with the objective. Ive lived this rivalry since birth and it just didn't cover it like it should have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2011, 10:16:49 AM »
I didn't have a problem with it. Like Chad said, it was documenting the past two years - the history of it would be a whole miniseries in itself.  Only so much time.  Trying to capture the hatred our the rivalry is impossible to do in five hours, much less one hour.  I don't think it was intended as a propaganda piece to try and change the perception of the rest of the country - if some Yankee who has never been out of Delaware in his life watched that, he learned nothing new - they believed before and still believe now that everyone from Alabama is a backwoods redneck hick, and that person draws no distinction between the two schools.    We are of course more sensitive to the differences, as there is no way we are as nasty and ignorant and inbred as they are, but outsiders looking in see no difference regardless of what is shown.  Sad to say, but true.  Then again, I could give two shits about what some Yankee in Delaware thinks about our state.  He's probably not a football fan anyway, and probably made no effort to sit down and watch the thing anyway.

I did not approve of giving Updyke as much time as he got - other than the fact that he comes off as looking as mentally unstable as those people on Hoarders, he is getting the attention he desperately craved. 

The Auburn representatives - Dye, Henley, Bo, Takeo, Cam, Fairley, Chizik, Jacobs, even Barkely's racial comments - were FAR superior to the ones interviewed for bammer - Gene Jelks is a redeemed traitor, Saban was obviously coach speaking his ass off, Stallings (Meh), Ingram came off looking like a pussy, that fat guy with the hot Auburn wife married WAY out of his league, Talese (what a prissy little whiney ass faggot he is!) and of course Updyke.  It's pretty bad when Marcel Dareus is the most reasonable sounding person interviewed on behalf of your university, other than a guy whose girlfriend died in a tornado.

Overall, there were more embarassing shots of their fan base, and more of the psycho callers on Finebaum were bammers, so if anything, I think the perception was that they are uneducated people with miserable lives who worship in the cult of a dead coach - Pat Dye said that about Harvey Updyke, but it applies universally. 

So to me, Auburn comes out looking better, especially since it ends with the whole "Anything you can do I can do better" shot of Auburn winning the SEC, the Heisman and the National Championship AND getting the #1 draft pick, AND the notation that Cam was completely cleared AND that Harvey Updyke's sorry ass is probably going to prison.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
I didn't have a problem with it. Like Chad said, it was documenting the past two years - the history of it would be a whole miniseries in itself.  Only so much time.  Trying to capture the hatred our the rivalry is impossible to do in five hours, much less one hour.  I don't think it was intended as a propaganda piece to try and change the perception of the rest of the country - if some Yankee who has never been out of Delaware in his life watched that, he learned nothing new - they believed before and still believe now that everyone from Alabama is a backwoods redneck hick, and that person draws no distinction between the two schools.    We are of course more sensitive to the differences, as there is no way we are as nasty and ignorant and inbred as they are, but outsiders looking in see no difference regardless of what is shown.  Sad to say, but true.  Then again, I could give two shits about what some Yankee in Delaware thinks about our state.  He's probably not a football fan anyway, and probably made no effort to sit down and watch the thing anyway.

I did not approve of giving Updyke as much time as he got - other than the fact that he comes off as looking as mentally unstable as those people on Hoarders, he is getting the attention he desperately craved. 

The Auburn representatives - Dye, Henley, Bo, Takeo, Cam, Fairley, Chizik, Jacobs, even Barkely's racial comments - were FAR superior to the ones interviewed for bammer - Gene Jelks is a redeemed traitor, Saban was obviously coach speaking his ass off, Stallings (Meh), Ingram came off looking like a pussy, that fat guy with the hot Auburn wife married WAY out of his league, Talese (what a prissy little whiney ass faggot he is!) and of course Updyke.  It's pretty bad when Marcel Dareus is the most reasonable sounding person interviewed on behalf of your university, other than a guy whose girlfriend died in a tornado.

Overall, there were more embarassing shots of their fan base, and more of the psycho callers on Finebaum were bammers, so if anything, I think the perception was that they are uneducated people with miserable lives who worship in the cult of a dead coach - Pat Dye said that about Harvey Updyke, but it applies universally. 

So to me, Auburn comes out looking better, especially since it ends with the whole "Anything you can do I can do better" shot of Auburn winning the SEC, the Heisman and the National Championship AND getting the #1 draft pick, AND the notation that Cam was completely cleared AND that Harvey Updyke's sorry ass is probably going to prison.

Except where the film decided to hint on the past stereotype that we have always been the 2nd class farm aggies "down there at the school in Auburn" (fuck you Talese) and they are the dr's and lawyers with the useful idiot army.

My point is that a film titled "Roll Tide/War Eagle" should have a different objective than just the last 2 years, fringe lunacy and Updyke. Even in the preview it asks the question, "What if I told you that in the state of Alabama, you must choose a side?"....and then almost an entire hour of lunacy ensues. Yes, they painted them much worse than us, but guess what? We all get lumped in as citizens of the state with their inbred ilk. Everyone outside the state who saw this will see both sides as about the same. We ARE NOT THEM.

Oh...one more thing. As Prowler said, Takeo Spikes is one bad mutha. That is all.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:28:57 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »
Then the premise of the film was wrong. If you are going to do a film on the entire rivalry, then do that. If they just wanted to do an entertainment film on Finebaum, 2009, 2010 and Updyke, then call it what it is. Roll Tide/War Eagle encompasses the entire rivalry.

You are telling me they can give Finebaum and Updyke 20-30 mins of airtime in a 1 hour documentary but not touch the most important game in the rivalry - 1989? Not touch on Ramsey? THS was spot on. If the objective of this film was to paint the lunacy of the last 2 years, it hit the mark. I just don't agree with the objective. Ive lived this rivalry since birth and it just didn't cover it like it should have.
Don't know who told you what to expect, but from before this started filming that has always been the objective.

http://espn.go.com/espn/espnfilms/story/_/id/6961218/roll-tide-war-eagle
FILM SUMMARY

There are many great rivalries in sports: Yankees-Red Sox, Michigan-Ohio State, North Carolina-Duke. But they don't compare to the venomous and consuming in-state college football rivalry that is Alabama-Auburn. With no pro sports, the state of Alabama centers around one game in the year: The annual meeting between the two universities called the "Iron Bowl." And you could not script what has transpired in the state in the past two years.

On the field, each school celebrated a national title, Heisman Trophy winner and Iron Bowl win. Outside the lines, the rivalry has taken a twisted turn, with a stunning tale of poisoned trees and a historic force of mother nature that brought both sides of this split state together.

This one-hour film takes you on an unpredictable and unforgettable journey through the history of bad blood that runs between the two programs -- all told through the eyes of the school's Hall of Fame icons, the controversial figures that launched this rivalry into the national spotlight, all the way down to its passionate roots -- the fans.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
Don't know who told you what to expect, but from before this started filming that has always been the objective.

http://espn.go.com/espn/espnfilms/story/_/id/6961218/roll-tide-war-eagle

Maybe I am getting into semantics, but if that's all it was supposed to be about, then call it something else. Again, I disagree with the objective. Would have been a much better documentary had they pushed it out to 90 mins and evenly covered the last 100 years and left Updyke's interviews out totally.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »
And what a douche McElmo was. "I thought my legacy was pretty good, already." Basically spent all of his segments with his own balls on his chin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »

I can't tell anybody else what they saw or heard in the film.  I agree, not covering 1989, can't get that.  Why put Jelks out there, but not Eric Ramsey, or the HBO 4?  What they did was briefly give a history, then worked up to the main objective, which was the last 2 years.  The reason ESPN chose that, is, IMHO, because 2 Heisman winners, and 2 BCS champions came from this state and from bitter rivals.  And that was the  backdrop to show some extremes within the fan bases.  I think intelligent people can see an idiot for what he/she is.  Nobody came away from that thinking anything good about Harvey Updyke. 

As Chizad said.  They had one hour.  I heard the only intelligent thing I've ever heard Big Game say as a caller on WJOX.  "This was like showing men a film on childbirth...you can't really understand it until you've lived it."  This is the case with watching from outside, and the reason some of the questionable subject matter was shown...the film makers had no idea where to look or start.  They mistakenly chose Finebaum as a place to start digging for information, and you got what you got.  Pretty big letdown from what I'd heard others say about it.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
And GH...the premise of the film was whatever the filmmakers wanted it to be.  Had they come in and done a documentary on what king of grass each school uses in their home stadiums...they wouldn't have been wrong, just would have been what they did. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2011, 10:53:59 AM »
I stand by what I said. 

There was so much more they could have covered and so much more detail they could have included. 

Documentaries are supposed to be objective.  They're supposed to uncover truth and expose the world to a reality that may not be known.

Some of the topics they chose to cover should have been more vehemently exposed as The University's bullshit. 

Perhaps it's the fact that I live with it every day. 

The fact that yesterday at work ended with me storming out of an office because a fucking bus driver was going on about how ridiculous Auburn fans are to blame Updyke for anything.  That we're delusional and despicable because we were killing those trees with a pressure washer.  That our way of life pushes people like Updyke to do harmful things because we rub it in their faces when we "catch them when they're down." 

I should have known better before watching.  I was hoping it would be more reflective of my life.  How I try to go about my business as an Auburn fan supporting my team.  How when my team wins, I suddenly get shit slung in my face because a select few of "those people" can't handle it. 

They could show how Alabama dominated and how we played catch up.  They could show how in 1982, the rivalry became pretty much dead even with Auburn with the edge.  They could show more about how this state forces you to choose a side.  How elementary schools have Alabama/Auburn competitions before the Iron Bowl.  How even people who are die hard fans of other schools choose one side or the other when they move here.

That's all good fun. 

The should have left the lunacy off. 

As a lady that works down the hall from me said to me, an obvious Auburn fan, this morning - "You football fans make me scared to live in this state."

I think Auburn fans who understand the reality of the show's topics concluded that it made Alabama look bad.  I haven't found an unbiased, objective observer yet that doesn't lump Auburn fans in with the Alabama crazies. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:03:28 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »
And GH...the premise of the film was whatever the filmmakers wanted it to be.  Had they come in and done a documentary on what king of grass each school uses in their home stadiums...they wouldn't have been wrong, just would have been what they did.

Right, I just don't agree with the premise they decided on. Especially with Finebaum practically narrating the whole thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE