"The Unlikeliest Auburn Tiger"

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
"The Unlikeliest Auburn Tiger"
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
NEW BOOK ABOUT FORMER
AUBURN ALL-AMERICAN PUNTER
PROVIDES UPLIFTING STORY

In his foreword to the book, “Lewis Colbert: The Unlikeliest Auburn Tiger,” former Auburn head football coach Pat Dye writes:
“When you look at Lewis Colbert and his background, his story, you’ve got to have a special feeling in your heart for what he overcame. In spite of his physical hardship, and in spite of a difficult home life growing up, he became the best punter in the country, not just as a senior, but really for his last three years here at Auburn.”
   The 200 page, hardback autobiography by Colbert, Auburn University’s first
All-American punter has been published by The Donnell Group and is available for purchase.
Colbert’s story is about overcoming the adversities of a difficult upbringing, which included being born with a severely misshapen club foot, which required numerous surgeries and constant metal bracing. It’s the same foot Colbert would use as Auburn’s starting punter from 1982-1985, during which he set Auburn career punting records that still stand today for most punts and most punting yards. Colbert was a first-team All-American in 1985, his fourth season as Auburn’s starting punter.
   Raised near Phenix City, Ala., Colbert’s upbringing challenged him emotionally as well as physically, and Colbert in his book reflects on how he overcame the hardships to not only become a great walk-on punter and captain of Auburn’s football team, but a strong individual, family man and successful businessman.
Colbert explains in his book: “When I decided to start this project I wanted to tell my story in order to help readers understand that with desire, determination and hard work, and by finding a way to become part of a team, or something much bigger than yourself, you can overcome adversity and achieve goals that might otherwise seem impossible. Auburn football gave me the opportunity to change my life. It provided everything that had been missing in my own home all those years, and it allowed me to develop confidence and belief in myself that I just never had growing up.”
Auburn fans named Colbert to Auburn’s team of the century, and many fans of that era remember the chant: “Boom-it-Lewis-Boom-it!”
Colbert also punted two seasons in the NFL.
The book is one of only a few to emerge from the Pat Dye era at Auburn, and provides insights as to the disciplined makeup of those teams, including the 1983 Sugar Bowl season. Colbert also shares several stories of his relationship with teammate Bo Jackson.
   Readers can purchase the book at bookstores or order an autographed copy on-line at www.TheUnlikeliestTigerBook.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:05:06 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: "The Unluckiest Auburn Tiger"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:59:09 PM »
You know the title of the book is "The Unlikeliest Auburn Tiger" not Unluckiest
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: "The Unluckiest Auburn Tiger"
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »
You know the title of the book is "The Unlikeliest Auburn Tiger" not Unluckiest

He doesn't look very lucky either.  I think he has trouble knowing when to have the dealer hit him.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: "The Unlikeliest Auburn Tiger"
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
I am sitting about a mile and a half from the high school he attended. Believe it or not he doesn't actually get a lot of mention around here in football folklore. Ed King, James Joseph, Vantrese Davis and Woodrow Lowe kind of get all the talk. Guy was an All American and Ive barely heard of him. Kind of sad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »

Saw this in Books-a-Million the other day, almost bought it.  Will go back and get it soon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »
Jackie Sherril says having a club foot is an unfair advantage for the punter - worser than helium even
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
Jackie Sherril says having a club foot is an unfair advantage for the punter - worser than helium even
I'm going to order a signed copy...All In.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.