Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sleep Study

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Sleep Study
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
I've talked to one or two of you that have been through one.  I'm having one tonight and I still think that unless they give me something to knock my fat ass out, I'm gonna' lay there and stare at the ceiling.  I understand they hook you up to all kinds of electrodes and Frankenstein shit and just expect you to go on to sleep.  I can't go to sleep now without some burrbinz and coke product with a Tylenol PM chaser. 

Anyone had one done?  Did it help?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Sleep Study
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
No, but I use to do a lot of sleep study in school.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:10:23 AM »
I have done one. What are you doing the study for? Mine was because the ex had me convinced I was going to cave in the ceiling with my snoring and that she was "concerned" for me because of sleep apnea.

Are you getting one done because you can't sleep? If so, why are they doing it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »
I have done one. What are you doing the study for? Mine was because the ex had me convinced I was going to cave in the ceiling with my snoring and that she was "concerned" for me because of sleep apnea.

Story of my life.  What was the outcome of your study?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:22:54 AM »

Are you getting one done because you can't sleep? If so, why are they doing it?

I had my annual physical this summer and my blood pressure was really elevated for the first time in my life.  I had all the blood work done, a stress test, a camera run up my innards etc. and everything came back good.  But, one of the questions was whether I was having trouble sleeping and/or snored a lot.  Just like you, I was told that I peel the paint with my snoring and I do have a bad habit of waking up at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep.  I just don't want any damn Darth Vader mask to help me sleep.  Give me a pill or something...or more burrbinz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
Does this sleep study have anything to do with WE!!!'s avatar?  Because if it does, I need to sign up, also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »
Does this sleep study have anything to do with WE!!!'s avatar?  Because if it does, I need to sign up, also.

Great minds think alike because I was thinking, if that's the bed I'm laying in tonight, hook me up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
I've talked to one or two of you that have been through one.  I'm having one tonight and I still think that unless they give me something to knock my fat ass out, I'm gonna' lay there and stare at the ceiling.  I understand they hook you up to all kinds of electrodes and Frankenstein shit and just expect you to go on to sleep.  I can't go to sleep now without some burrbinz and coke product with a Tylenol PM chaser. 

Just bring a flask...  Filled with your favorite nectar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
They said I had sleep apnea and gave me a darth vader mask. That thing fucking sucked, and I slept worse with that than I did without it. You HAVE to sleep on your back. You can not sleep on your side or on your stomach. Plus, you can't turn over without the damn thing getting tangled. Not worth it to me. I haven't used mine in over 5 years.

I am convinced that no matter if I snored or not during that test, I was going to be diagnosed with sleep apnea. They sell you those machines for an ass pile of money just because the insurance will cover it. I looked it up and the machines are only worth $250-$300, but since I had insurance, and insurance covered it, they tried to charge nearly $2000. My insurance settled for around $900.

The wife now doesn't complain at all. I snore heavy when I am drunk, but other than that, it is a light snore if it all. I think my ex-wife lies about fucking everything, so I just chalk up that little episode to her fucking craziness...

My ex-wife said she was worried I wasn't sleeping because I was cranky all the time. It turns out I was just a cranky mother fucker not from lack of sleep, but because I was waking up next to a fucking bitch every morning...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:05:05 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »
So, you're saying you and your ex don't get along?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
So, you're saying you and your ex don't get along?

Why do you say that? I am just saying the mask wasn't for me...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:12:37 PM »
Why do you say that? I am just saying the mask wasn't for me...

Question...when you say you can't sleep on your side or stomach, is that during the study or after you get the mask?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
Question...when you say you can't sleep on your side or stomach, is that during the study or after you get the mask?

After you get the mask. It fits over your nose and mouth with a tube coming out the side. There is really no way to sleep without sleeping on your back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
After you get the mask. It fits over your nose and mouth with a tube coming out the side. There is really no way to sleep without sleeping on your back.

That in itself is a huge problem.  I don't think I'm any different from most people in that I have my own little routines in going to sleep.  I do start out on my back but unless I'm wasted and ready to pass out, I roll to each side.  I almost never fall asleep on my back.  I have talked to some that got the machine that didn't use the mask but had the two little tubes that stick up your nose.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »
That in itself is a huge problem.  I don't think I'm any different from most people in that I have my own little routines in going to sleep.  I do start out on my back but unless I'm wasted and ready to pass out, I roll to each side.  I almost never fall asleep on my back.  I have talked to some that got the machine that didn't use the mask but had the two little tubes that stick up your nose.

You still have a huge hose that comes out the side and you can't roll your head over to sleep on that side. Also, If you did have a way to sleep on both sides, then you still have to roll all the way over at night in order not to get tangled up in the hose. There is no way to sleep on your stomach and then turn your head from one side to the other. The hose would be under you.

Over all...like my marriage...it sucked ass...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 12:37:29 PM »
     I never had the study, but knew I had sleep apnea.  I used to have trouble sleeping more than an hour and a half at night without waking up, had horrible acid reflux, started falling asleep at my desk, and ended up falling asleep at the wheel on the way home from a golf outing with Sani and some other guys in Myrtle Beach and crashing my SUV.
     I got a hand me down C-Pap machine from my brother (his insurance bought him a new one) and it changed my life.  The first time I used it I slept for 9 hours straight and woke up feeling like I'd had shot of adrenaline or something.  Just incredible the difference it's made in my quality of life.  I've also lost about 60 pounds and never have reflux anymore.  Sani will vouch for how bad I was draggin my ass around in Myrtle Beach, which was just a couple months before I got the machine.
     I can sleep on my side in my mask, but it does take a little getting used to as to how to arrange your pillow and the hose and all.  I know a lot of people don't like them, and if you're just having trouble sleeping it may not help.  But if you really do have a severe case of apnea it can make an incredible difference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
     I never had the study, but knew I had sleep apnea.  I used to have trouble sleeping more than an hour and a half at night without waking up, had horrible acid reflux, started falling asleep at my desk, and ended up falling asleep at the wheel on the way home from a golf outing with Sani and some other guys in Myrtle Beach and crashing my SUV.
     I got a hand me down C-Pap machine from my brother (his insurance bought him a new one) and it changed my life.  The first time I used it I slept for 9 hours straight and woke up feeling like I'd had shot of adrenaline or something.  Just incredible the difference it's made in my quality of life.  I've also lost about 60 pounds and never have reflux anymore.  Sani will vouch for how bad I was draggin my ass around in Myrtle Beach, which was just a couple months before I got the machine.
     I can sleep on my side in my mask, but it does take a little getting used to as to how to arrange your pillow and the hose and all.  I know a lot of people don't like them, and if you're just having trouble sleeping it may not help.  But if you really do have a severe case of apnea it can make an incredible difference.

Then there is that too. I know several people that swear by them. I think the key is it helps for severe sleep apnea. Not the occasional snorer. I didn't feel any different when I was on mine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
Go to the study, let them push the machine, take the machine and do not use it if you choose.  Come back and tell them the machine is a piece of shit and doesn't work for you.  Go the surgery route.  No more sleep apnea.

Surgery recovery time is horrid.  Your throat will be as sore as hell for about oh.......3 weeks.   It also takes a long time before you can drink a coke without it coming out of your nose.  It was over a month before I could eat a hamburger.  You basically have to learn how to swallow all over again in a way.  On the bright side, I lost about 20lbs that month.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
  Sani will vouch for how bad I was draggin my ass around in Myrtle Beach, which was just a couple months before I got the machine.

I thought was just because of the shitty titty flops that were there?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
They said I had sleep apnea and gave me a darth vader mask. That thing fucking sucked, and I slept worse with that than I did without it. You HAVE to sleep on your back. You can not sleep on your side or on your stomach. Plus, you can't turn over without the damn thing getting tangled. Not worth it to me. I haven't used mine in over 5 years.

I am convinced that no matter if I snored or not during that test, I was going to be diagnosed with sleep apnea. They sell you those machines for an ass pile of money just because the insurance will cover it. I looked it up and the machines are only worth $250-$300, but since I had insurance, and insurance covered it, they tried to charge nearly $2000. My insurance settled for around $900.

The wife now doesn't complain at all. I snore heavy when I am drunk, but other than that, it is a light snore if it all. I think my ex-wife lies about fucking everything, so I just chalk up that little episode to her fucking craziness...

My ex-wife said she was worried I wasn't sleeping because I was cranky all the time. It turns out I was just a cranky mother fucker not from lack of sleep, but because I was waking up next to a fucking bitch every morning...

I giggled.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.