Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Doin' It Old School Dye...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Doin' It Old School Dye...
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
Flipping through a Sports Illustrated from a few weeks back and there was an article some of you might have seen on Spring Practices.  A lot of exerpts from different teams/coaches but the one on Auburn made me laugh and realize why this man is who he is.  It went:

How taxing could spring be on ball players?  In 1981, Auburn Coach Pat Dye, upset with what he considered the poor effort and intensity level of his team during the spring game, told his charges to meet him on the Jordan-Hare Stadium field two nights later.  "We're gong to play another game" Dye said, "and we're going to find out who wants to play ball next fall".

"That game was a first class blood bath", said Ray Moon, an SEC Official from 1974 through 2001 who worked as a linesman for both those games at Auburn. "Dye locked the doors to that stadium and it was as violent as anything in the spring as I ever saw.  If a player got hurt on one side of the field, the coaches would move the ball to the other hashmark and tell the kids to keep playing, even while the injured player was still on the ground.  It was vicious."

I would love it if Uncle Sani could ask the Warden to get a little feed back about this from the legendary PFD.  War Dye
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Doin' It Old School Dye...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
Have never heard that one.  Will pass along to the Warden.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
Flipping through a Sports Illustrated from a few weeks back and there was an article some of you might have seen on Spring Practices.  A lot of exerpts from different teams/coaches but the one on Auburn made me laugh and realize why this man is who he is.  It went:

How taxing could spring be on ball players?  In 1981, Auburn Coach Pat Dye, upset with what he considered the poor effort and intensity level of his team during the spring game, told his charges to meet him on the Jordan-Hare Stadium field two nights later.  "We're gong to play another game" Dye said, "and we're going to find out who wants to play ball next fall".

"That game was a first class blood bath", said Ray Moon, an SEC Official from 1974 through 2001 who worked as a linesman for both those games at Auburn. "Dye locked the doors to that stadium and it was as violent as anything in the spring as I ever saw.  If a player got hurt on one side of the field, the coaches would move the ball to the other hashmark and tell the kids to keep playing, even while the injured player was still on the ground.  It was vicious."

I would love it if Uncle Sani could ask the Warden to get a little feed back about this from the legendary PFD.  War Dye

I love "old school" coaches.  They were just nasty mean and didn't give a damn. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »

It was a Lars Anderson piece in an issue about a month and a half ago.  Good read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
I love "old school" coaches.  They were just nasty mean and didn't give a damn.

Times have changed. 

When I was playing ball in high school, getting water was the sign of a pussy.  Only homos needed water except at the beginning and end of a two hour practice.  Feel like you're having a heat stroke?  Eat a salt cube, you fucking wuss. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
Times have changed. 

When I was playing ball in high school, getting water was the sign of a pussy.  Only homos needed water except at the beginning and end of a two hour practice.  Feel like you're having a heat stroke?  Eat a salt cube, you effing wuss.

We got three, before, middle and end.  I was talking to a one of my old coaches not long ago and asking him how it was going and he told me "these kids now days are pussies" "y'all were too for the most part, but at least you guys showed some toughness and heart, I wouldn't give two pisses on a fire for these kids."   Coach always had a way with words.  Every t-shirt he owned had a huge tobacco stain about midway down where the RedMan spit would get all over his whistle and he would spit it out to scream and that is where it would land.  You also didn't want to be withing 5 feet of him when blew his whistle b/c you would be covered in tobacco juice.  I miss that guy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
Hasn't the AHSAA outlawed "Bull in the Ring"?  That was my favorite part of practice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

jmar

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »
Hasn't the AHSAA outlawed "Bull in the Ring"?  That was my favorite part of practice.
Our pee wee practices were much rougher than high school. I just thought the coaches denied us water so we wouldn't have to pee. Didn't know it was supposed to be torture. Those bastards!

Bryant gets credit for toughness but I've heard Shug was not to be outdone with brutal Spring practices. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:56:33 PM »
We had three water breaks, out water came out of a water hose that never came off the practice field.  We'd make the young guys drink first, because that was the nasty warm water. Also, it was bring filtered through a rusty pipe (I know this because one day I found a styrofoam cup, left by the baseball team on the field, and decided to see how clear the water was...huge mistake.  That shit was brown with stuff floating in it.)  We joked, while we drank, that it was being filtered through the sewage pipes.  If that were to happen today?  The sickness or even the death toll would be large.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »
Screw that...ask greaseybammer what he thinks about that Coach Dye story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 06:50:32 AM »
Screw that...ask greaseybammer what he thinks about that Coach Dye story.

Maybe he will grace us with his presence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »
I used to fuck people up in Bull in the ring.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
I used to eff people up in Bull in the ring.

I broke a kid's arm.  He didn't get turned all the way around and I caught him between the shoulder and elbow on his left side.  Wasn't a major fracture but he was out for a while.  Ugliest injury I ever saw in practice was kid's arm did a Joe Theisman during "Oklahomas".  That went from being the worst part of practice when I was a freshmen in high school to my favorite when I became an upperclassmen.  Especially since we were such a small high school and the coach would rotate guys through the defensive side irregardless of the position they played.  I would work it so I could just steam roll some tailback who always complained about the blocking when he missed the hole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Aubie16

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
This thread =
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »
This thread =
We'd of won state is they had of put me in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
We'd of won state is they had of put me in.

They put me in and we lost state.  I coach had only taken me out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 09:50:24 AM »
This thread =

:bugs:

What about the shirts they had printed up from that year...

"I survived practice with Coach Dye"

True story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
This thread =

This x 10.

I hit a guy so hard in practice one day, he exploded. Vaporized. I win.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:23:02 AM by AuburnChopper »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:26:42 AM »
This x 10.

I hit a guy so hard in practice one day, he exploded. Vaporized. I win.

I used to throw a pigskin a quarter mile. I could throw a football over them mountains.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
Fuck this. I hated bull-in-the-ring or any drill to hit just to hit. I wasn't big or stupid enough to hit just to hit. I would go over the middle with no fear whatsoever and catch a ball, get lit up, and then bounce up...but hit just to hit? No thanks. In college, coaches told me I could get on the field playing kickoff and kick off coverage...no sir. There are a bunch of fucking idiots on the field for special teams...

Now, if I had to hit you, I would hit you...but it's not like I lived for that part of practice...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions