Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Man Love for Fairley

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Man Love for Fairley
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »
Auburn has always been known for being "Running Back U" and  consistently having one of the better defenses around.  Not much has changed in the RB department and it appears that moniker will stick for years to come; however, the D has been...well....less than stellar over the past two seasons.  Saturday's game could be the start of a resurgence of Auburn defense and in the coming weeks, they'll have plenty of opportunity to prove it.  But one guy has been nothing less than a beast from game 1 this year and probably had as much to do with the win over LSU as anybody. 

At one point in the second quarter, Fairley was in the backfield doing a tap dance on the helmet of some poor Bayou Bengal.  He came up with his right arm hanging and was visibly hurt.  In the midst of our Textapalooza, I told GF that NF is hurting and it could be a shoulder.  I honestly thought at that moment, the entire game could change because I think this guy is just that big a part of this D.  He was walking slowly toward the defensive huddle and holding his arm when they started running someone in to replace him.  Fairley looked at the sideline and waived them off, lined up and promptly blew the next play up like a man possssed.  I professed my man love at this point in the game.

We've had some solid D-linemen at Auburn over the years, many of which have gone on to long pro careers.  But I honestly can't recall any lineman since Tracy Rocker that had this much of a distruptive affect on an offense. We haven't had a lineman that can literally take over parts of a game since Rocker.  Some of you may even be too young to recall what a bear TR really was.  AU rarely had to blitz with him on the line because he was always in someone's face in the backfield.  Fairley has those same qualities.  Our D has certainly struggled at times this year but Nick Fairley has been playing at a first team All-American level. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:04:46 AM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: Man Love for Fairley
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »
I absolutely agree.

Fairly has been a bad ass since week one. He man handles bitches on the OL. How he throws around offensive linemen like that is something that I haven't seen in a while. All we heard about was Nevis coming in to this game, but Fairly out played up by a long shot. He is a man playing with boys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:15:25 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/10/solomon_some_heisman_love_for.html

Solomon: Some Heisman love for nick90fairley.com
Published: Monday, October 25, 2010, 5:30 AM
  Jon Solomon -- The Birmingham News

We interrupt the much-deserved love affair over Cam Newton with breaking news. There's another former JuCo player on Auburn who should be flirting with the Heisman Trophy.

He won't hurdle fences. He won't routinely make "SportsCenter." He won't boggle the public's imagination.
But this Nick Fairley guy. He can play.

You know him as the hulking 6-foot-5, 298-pound defensive tackle who keeps sending SEC quarterbacks to the bench. SEC opponents know him as the league's most dominant defensive player who keeps plowing his way into their backfields.

Where's the love for a defensive guy?

Before you think I'm Kevin Scarbinskying you, this is not the 2010 edition of Rolando McClain over Mark Ingram.

I have no Heisman vote. If I did, Newton would clearly be the No. 1 choice at this time. There's little Fairley could do to change that.

But having voters and Auburn's PR folks bat their eyes at Fairley would be nice. Throwing him a couple bouquets couldn't hurt.

The least this generation's Tracy Rocker deserves is for voters to put their Heisman lists where their mouths are when spouting the cliche that defense wins championships. Even if it's just a passing glance.

It's not Fairley's fault Auburn's secondary gets torched every other week. Nobody will mistake Auburn's defense for the traditional SEC championship defense. But Fairley fits every bit the role of what a Heisman candidate should look like, if only voters would think outside the box.

The scary thought for Auburn, which now sits atop the BCS standings in position to play for the national title: What would the Tigers' 49th-ranked defense look like without Fairley?

Last year, former Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh became the first defensive player invited to the Heisman ceremony since Michigan's Charles Woodson in 1997. Fairley may not be Suh, but he's not chopped liver, either.

Suh had 12 sacks and 20.5 tackles for loss in 14 games last season. Fairley is on pace for 13 sacks and 30 tackles for loss over 14 games. Only one player over the past six years has made 30 tackles for loss in a season: South Florida's George Selvie, with 31.5 in 13 games in 2007.

Through eight games, Fairley ranks second in the country with 17 tackles for loss, one-half behind Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers. Fairley is tied for 13th in sacks with 7.5 despite playing inside and taking on double teams.

Fairley's impact goes beyond stats. He's at two weeks and counting of knocking out quarterbacks. Ryan Mallett never returned from a concussion. Jarrett Lee got sidelined with a sprained wrist and wasn't the same when he came back.

Fairley frees Auburn linebackers to make plays. Fairley frees Ted Roof to avoid blitzes that would leave suspect defensive backs on an island. And Fairley still frees himself to make plays, even against double teams, as LSU tried.

Penetration by Fairley was a big reason LSU running back Stevan Ridley, the SEC's leading rusher, was held to 37 yards on 12 carries. Players and coaches are noticing Fairley. Gene Chizik said Fairley took over the game. Ridley said Fairley got the best of LSU's offensive line.

Where's your attention, Heisman voters? The award that's supposed to go to "an individual who deserves recognition as the most outstanding college football player in the United States" essentially ignores defense every year. The public simply accepts that the Heisman goes to a glamour position on offense from an elite team.

Newton is very deserving right now. Even if Fairley could draw more love, two teammates rarely finish high in the voting.

But if the Heisman is going to take itself so seriously, from the long, drawn-out ceremony to the request for voters not to reveal whom they picked, would it kill people to recognize great defense when it's staring them in the face?

Available now for $11.99: nick90fairley.com.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:19:31 AM »
Auburn has always been known for being "Running Back U" and  consistently having one of the better defenses around.  Not much has changed in the RB department and it appears that moniker will stick for years to come; however, the D has been...well....less than stellar over the past two seasons.  Saturday's game could be the start of a resurgence of Auburn defense and in the coming weeks, they'll have plenty of opportunity to prove it.  But one guy has been nothing less than a beast from game 1 this year and probably had as much to do with the win over LSU as anybody. 

At one point in the second quarter, Fairley was in the backfield doing a tap dance on the helmet of some poor Bayou Bengal.  He came up with his right arm hanging and was visibly hurt.  In the midst of our Textapalooza, I told GF that NF is hurting and it could be a shoulder.  I honestly thought at that moment, the entire game could change because I think this guy is just that big a part of this D.  He was walking slowly toward the defensive huddle and holding his arm when they started running someone in to replace him.  Fairley looked at the sideline and waived them off, lined up and promptly blew the next play up like a man possssed.  I professed my man love at this point in the game.

We've had some solid D-linemen at Auburn over the years, many of which have gone on to long pro careers.  But I honestly can't recall any lineman since Tracy Rocker that had this much of a distruptive affect on an offense. We haven't had a lineman that can literally take over parts of a game since Rocker.  Some of you may even be too young to recall what a bear TR really was.  AU rarely had to blitz with him on the line because he was always in someone's face in the backfield.  Fairley has those same qualities.  Our D has certainly struggled at times this year but Nick Fairley has been playing at a first team All-American level.

Dead on. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
I knew that having the Rock back on our sidelines would produce someone like this eventually.  What a great time for "eventually" to come along.  Maybe Fairley is not a Heisman contender, but why is he getting no Outland/Lombardi love??  Or is he?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
I knew that having the Rock back on our sidelines would produce someone like this eventually.  What a great time for "eventually" to come along.  Maybe Fairley is not a Heisman contender, but why is he getting no Outland/Lombardi love??  Or is he?

I'm sure he is. They just don't have the "Outland" watch. I am sure he is a front runner though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:14:44 PM »
This list came out in June, so its obviously outdated. Fairley is not on it but Ziemba is. I agree with WE! It would be hard to believe that he wasn't at this point.

http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/news/2010/outland100621.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:35:35 PM »
I absolutely agree.

Fairly has been a bad ass since week one. He man handles bitches on the OL. How he throws around offensive linemen like that is something that I haven't seen in a while. All we heard about was Nevis coming in to this game, but Fairly out played up by a long shot. He is a man playing with boys.

I would be curious to know, though it doesn't matter, where this shit came from.  Coaching?  The weight room?  ATTITUDE adjustment?  Fairley wasn't jack shit last year, and got pushed around easily.  I understand coaches around the league have been shocked when they saw him on tape this year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »
I would be curious to know, though it doesn't matter, where this shit came from.  Coaching?  The weight room?  ATTITUDE adjustment?  Fairley wasn't jack shit last year, and got pushed around easily.  I understand coaches around the league have been shocked when they saw him on tape this year.

Probably all the above but I would say a good portion came from Rocker himself and the rest fell into place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
Probably all the above but I would say a good portion came from Rocker himself and the rest fell into place.

I have no doubts about Rocker as a coach anymore.  His unit has stepped it up this year...Fairley went from pussy to beast. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »
I have no doubts about Rocker as a coach anymore.  His unit has stepped it up this year...Fairley went from pussy to beast.

And they just keep getting better and better with still 4 reg season games to go. Man what a ride so far. This week, we get to welcome Masoli to the SEC Auburn style. Masoli meet Nick Fairley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »
In a handful of games last year, Fairley would show flashes of "Damn". He'd bust through and nail a back for a loss or get a sack.  Then, he might disappear from the rotation for a game or two.  All I kept reading from the corches in the off season was that they really needed him to step up and give that type of effort all the time. 

It appears he read (Or had Tracy Rocker scream) the same thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »
It appears he read (Or had Tracy Rocker scream) the same thing.
That would make me wet my pants.  Maybe he kept having to go to the locker room and change clothes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 05:48:29 PM »
There was a double team he fought through Saturday that was just about as pretty as any TD run Newton has had all season long.  As in jaw dropping good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »
There was a double team he fought through Saturday that was just about as pretty as any TD run Newton has had all season long.  As in jaw dropping good.

We may be thinking about the same play but I recall one when LSU tried to quick snap and NF busted up the middle between 2 linemen like they were standing still and popped the QB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »
We may be thinking about the same play but I recall one when LSU tried to quick snap and NF busted up the middle between 2 linemen like they were standing still and popped the QB.

When he did that to LSU, it moved.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 12:02:14 PM »
Fun fact: At this time last season Ndamukong Suh had 25 solo tackles, 19 assisted Tackles, 3 sacks, and 1 interception.

So far this year Nick Fairley already has 24 solo tackles, 15 assisted tackles, 9 sacks, and 1 interception.

:ebm:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »
Fun fact: At this time last season Ndamukong Suh had 25 solo tackles, 19 assisted Tackles, 3 sacks, and 1 interception.

So far this year Nick Fairley already has 24 solo tackles, 15 assisted tackles, 9 sacks, and 1 interception.

He's Fairly good but he's no Longdukdong Sue.

Fairley has 9 sax?  Really?  Holy crap. That's some skrong shit right there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »

Someone needs to be farking this fark to Epic Fairley Man... toute suite...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions