Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn All-Star Coaching Staff

Aubie16

Auburn All-Star Coaching Staff
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
Stealing an idea from elsewhere...If you could put together an All-Star Coaching Staff consisting of past Auburn coaches, who would be on it?

The only rules are the coach has to have coached that position at some point in their Auburn career and you have to have an actual memory of that coach (ex: you can't use John Heisman, Mike Donahue etc.) Remember you are only allowed 1 Head Coach and 9 Assistants.

Mine:

HC: Pat Dye

OC/QB: Gus Malzahn
RB: Curtis Luper
WR: Trooper Taylor
OL: Jeff Grimes

DC/CB: Gene Chizik
DL: Don Dunn
LB: Joe Whitt
S: Tommy Thigpen

ST: Eddie Gran
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Auburn All-Star Coaching Staff
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »
HC:  Pat Dye

OC/QB:  Tommy Bowden
RB:  Eddie Gran
WR:  Trooper Taylor
OL:  Neil Calloway

DC:  Wayne Hall
DL:  Tracy Rocker
LB:  Joe Whitt
S:  Tommy Thigpen

ST:  Eddie Gran
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
HC:  Pat Dye

OC/QB:  Tommy Bowden
RB:  Eddie Gran
WR:  Trooper Taylor
OL:  Neil Calloway

DC:  Wayne Hall
DL:  Tracy Rocker
LB:  Joe Whitt
S:  Tommy Thigpen

ST:  Eddie Gran

This other than substituting Malzahn for Bowden at OC.  Oh, and no to Eddie Gran at special teams.  Have no clue who, but I was never impressed by that choice. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Aubie16

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »
This other than substituting Malzahn for Bowden at OC.  Oh, and no to Eddie Gran at special teams.  Have no clue who, but I was never impressed by that choice.

I put him on more to recruit S. Florida than anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »

I honestly have forgotten the guy who was in charge of the Special Teams the first few years for Dye (and teh googles obviously were born too late), but he was a good 'un.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »
I put him on more to recruit S. Florida than anything.

Speaking of...

Recruiting Coordinator:  Rodney Garner
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »
I always got the impression that CTT's staff was full and couldn't hire a ST corch so they just said, "Who wants to corch special teams? I'm not gonna' do it.  Not me...don't know a thing about it.  Don't look at me.  Hey, what about Gran?  Whoa, don't put that shit on me.  Hey, let's draw straws....."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
Speaking of...

Ding ding ding.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »
Speaking of...

Who are you taking off and what position will Rodney coach? You only get 9 assistant coaches. The recruiting coordinator is also an on the field coach at almost every school I'm aware of.  TE's? Is that the only thing he coached at Auburn? I don't remember.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 05:43:52 PM by Aubie16 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:23:33 PM »
Stealing an idea from elsewhere...If you could put together an All-Star Coaching Staff consisting of past Auburn coaches, who would be on it?

The only rules are the coach has to have coached that position at some point in their Auburn career and you have to have an actual memory of that coach (ex: you can't use John Heisman, Mike Donahue etc.) Remember you are only allowed 1 Head Coach and 9 Assistants.

Mine:

HC: Pat Dye

OC/QB: Gus Malzahn
RB: Curtis Luper
WR: Trooper Taylor
OL: Jeff Grimes

DC/CB: Gene Chizik
DL: Don Dunn
LB: Joe Whitt
S: Tommy Thigpen

ST: Eddie Gran
6/10 being on the current staff (including Chizik), and bad.

And you could make a case to count Dye as well, since he's always around the program still.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »
I honestly have forgotten the guy who was in charge of the Special Teams the first few years for Dye (and teh googles obviously were born too late), but he was a good 'un.
I'm not sure who the first one was, but in '87, believe it or not, he was a volunteer. And old as hell. Paul Davis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
I'm not sure who the first one was, but in '87, believe it or not, he was a volunteer. And old as hell. Paul Davis.

That is him.  I remember that he was a volunteer coach, and he seemed to always have the ST solid back then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »
DC: Wayne Hall

With Chiz a close second.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:51:34 AM »
DC: Wayne Hall

With Chiz a close second.

I certainly like Gus, but I'd be hard pressed, if I had to win one big game, AND had the players to compete in that game, to not go with Terry Bowden as OC.  Dude counldn't 'croot,  and had other faults as well, but he knew offense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 10:56:14 AM »
I certainly like Gus, but I'd be hard pressed, if I had to win one big game, AND had the players to compete in that game, to not go with Terry Bowden as OC.  Dude counldn't 'croot,  and had other faults as well, but he knew offense.

But even he wasn't as effective once the Tommah Gun left him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 11:26:02 AM »
But even he wasn't as effective once the Tommah Gun left him.

Tommy left in '96, about the time the talent leve fell off a cliff.  Hence my qualifier: "with the players to compete".   In fact, I don't know an OC that can make chicken salad out of chicken shit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
Tommy left in '96, about the time the talent leve fell off a cliff.  Hence my qualifier: "with the players to compete".   In fact, I don't know an OC that can make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

I think things started going down after they started running Tommy's offense. If I am not mistaken, the first two years, they ran the existing offense or close to it. There was definitely an issue the first two years that allowed the group that was there to win all those games, and I don't think it was Tommy's offense. Somebody with better info may know the whole inside scoop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 02:34:42 PM »
I think things started going down after they started running Tommy's offense. If I am not mistaken, the first two years, they ran the existing offense or close to it. There was definitely an issue the first two years that allowed the group that was there to win all those games, and I don't think it was Tommy's offense. Somebody with better info may know the whole inside scoop.

Simple answer...new staffs don't come in and run the old staff's offense.  Especially an offensive minded staff of Bowdens.  What made them win was good players, and a refreshed attitude of the new staff.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:35:54 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »
Simple answer...new staffs don't come in and run the old staff's offense.  Especially an offensive minded staff of Bowdens.  What made them win was good players, and a refreshed attitude of the new staff.

Actually you are wrong.

I got it backwards. Who was the OC when Terry came to AU? Who was the OC after Terry got to AU? Therefore the new coaching staff ran the old coaching staff's plays.

Now that I have my timeline, I remember what I was told the problem was. After those first two years, Terry wanted to run more of HIS offense. We stopped running as much of Tommy's and that is when things went down hill. And that is why Tommy ultimately left.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »
Actually you are wrong.

I got it backwards. Who was the OC when Terry came to AU? Who was the OC after Terry got to AU? Therefore the new coaching staff ran the old coaching staff's plays.

Now that I have my timeline, I remember what I was told the problem was. After those first two years, Terry wanted to run more of HIS offense. We stopped running as much of Tommy's and that is when things went down hill. And that is why Tommy ultimately left.

Ok, I won't debate the details of it with you.  It all fell apart when the HC put his foot down and wanted to run HIS offense.  We'll go with that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions