• Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
NCAA Probes Florida For Paying Maurkice Pouncey $100,000
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5392159

Sources: Florida, NCAA probe allegation

By Pat Forde
ESPN.com
Archive

Florida and NCAA officials are investigating a potential rules violation that allegedly occurred last December involving former Gators football standout Maurkice Pouncey, sources said.

Florida is internally investigating what sources described as an allegation that a representative of an agent paid Pouncey $100,000 between the Gators' loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game to Alabama and their season-ending Sugar Bowl victory over Cincinnati. Florida apprised the NCAA of the allegation after it became aware of it.

"We were made aware of some information in early June that we reported to law enforcement and we then shared with the NCAA and the SEC," athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a statement released Monday morning to ESPN.com. "At this time we have no information that has indicated that there are any compliance issues for the University of Florida."

Florida law enforcement could be investigating whether the state's agent registration laws were violated.

Pouncey, a standout offensive lineman who entered the NFL draft after his junior season and was taken in the first round by the Pittsburgh Steelers, played in the Sugar Bowl. If found to have accepted the alleged payment, he could be retroactively ruled ineligible for the game and Florida might have to vacate the victory.

"The NCAA is working cooperatively with the university. However, it is NCAA policy to not comment on current, pending or potential investigations," the organization said in a statement released Monday.

The Pouncey investigation is the latest in a series of agent-related inquiries making ripples in college football.

North Carolina announced last week that an NCAA investigation is under way at its school, and subsequent media reports have tied it to alleged agent interaction with multiple players. South Carolina athletic director Eric Hyman says the NCAA is investigating a possible rules violation of one of its athletic programs.

Gamecocks tight end Weslye Saunders told ESPN on Sunday that he has been interviewed by NCAA investigators in connection with the North Carolina case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: NCAA Probes Florida For Paying Maurkice Pouncey $100,000
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »
Ouch goes the Urban.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:24:27 PM »
Ouch goes the Urban.

He's gonna need some more statins....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
Not the agent...not the agent....not the agent.  We talkin' bout the representative of the agent.  Not the agent...not the agent.  We talkin' bout the representative.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:33:00 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
If it's not an illegal benefit from the University, its corches, boosters etc. then UF shouldn't suffer. Unless they knew about it and did nothing.  He knows the rules and if he goes out and does bidnezz with an agent without the knowledge of UF, then what have they done wrong?  The rules will probably state otherwise but I just can't see investigating and finding a school to be compliant and then shitting down their neck because the player was a dumbass on his own.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »
If it's not an illegal benefit from the University, its corches, boosters etc. then UF shouldn't suffer. Unless they knew about it and did nothing.  He knows the rules and if he goes out and does bidnezz with an agent without the knowledge of UF, then what have they done wrong?  The rules will probably state otherwise but I just can't see investigating and finding a school to be compliant and then shitting down their neck because the player was a dumbass on his own.

Antonio Langham says "hey".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »
Antonio Langham says "hey".

Difference was...they knew.  Plus, it's Bama so I don't give a shit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
Difference was...they knew.  Plus, it's Bama so I don't give a poop. 

Coach Dye and Blakeney says hello as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
Coach Dye and Blakeney says hello as well.

Hey, keep it down home cuz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 04:19:16 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »
Whoa..slow down....don't everyone post at once.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »
Really...slow down...I can't keep up.  Page after page.  When will it stop?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 08:38:46 PM »
Really...slow down...I can't keep up.  Page after page.  When will it stop?
Stop being so butt sore, you will get your shot at Sani's ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »
I really hate to hear this to be honest, they being an SEC school. Also. South Carolina is investigating a similar case but it being a TE. This makes the SEC look bad and would seriously hammer the East division.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 11:43:28 PM »
If it is true and Florida didn't know, nothing will happen except they will have to vacate their Sugar Bowl win from this year.  No Biggie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 08:53:19 AM »
If it is true and Florida didn't know, nothing will happen except they will have to vacate their Sugar Bowl win from this year.  No Biggie.

Well I hope you're right but the way the NCAA goes about things, I just don't know. I am really tired though of these idiots out there doing things like this. What happens in the end is the ones responsible get a slap on the wrist and the schools are left with the repercussions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »
agents - momma said dey da debil
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
This is getting sad.

The three biggest dynasties of 2000-2010:

1.  USC - Hammered by the NCAA.
2.  Florida - Being investigated by the NCAA.
3.  LSU - Being investigated by the NCAA. 

Who else is there?

Oklahoma - Had wins vacated after illegal benefits being given to players.

It seems like if you want to be good, you have to cheat.  The NCAA will get you later, but no one cares.  Perhaps college football is about to go into an era much like baseball did with steroids.  If you ask me, it should.  I think it's ridiculous that so many schools are benefitting from cheating and only one (USC) received any real punishment and it took almost 5 years to get that punishment enacted.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
This is getting sad.

The three biggest dynasties of 2000-2010:

1.  USC - Hammered by the NCAA.
2.  Florida - Being investigated by the NCAA.
3.  LSU - Being investigated by the NCAA. 

Who else is there?

Oklahoma - Had wins vacated after illegal benefits being given to players.

It seems like if you want to be good, you have to cheat.  The NCAA will get you later, but no one cares.  Perhaps college football is about to go into an era much like baseball did with steroids.  If you ask me, it should.  I think it's ridiculous that so many schools are benefitting from cheating and only one (USC) received any real punishment and it took almost 5 years to get that punishment enacted.

Not dynasties by any stretch but USCe and UNC are also being investigated, per College FB Live this morning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »
The agent/athlete contact and transactions outside of the knowledge of the Corches and/or administration is a totally separate issue from cheating or any benefit being derived by the school.  However, let's not keep our heads in the sand.  Cheating goes on everywhere.  It's not limited to a handful of universities who were dumb enough or unlucky enough to get caught.  Some get popped simply because they're so blatant with it that it's almost impossible not to notice. 

USC got hammered because of Reggie Bush...and O.J. Mayo in basketball.  USC has been signing top 5 recruting classes since Pete Carroll arrived on campus.  Does anyone really believe that Reggie Bush was the only player to cash in at USC?  Please.  Does anyone recall the class signed by Alabama when Albert Means' tubby ass brought them down? Was he the only player in that class that caused $$$ to change hands?  Really? Why? There were much more high profile signees in that class than Means.  Not picking on those schools.  I've witnessed things myself first hand where I just wanted to do the 3 monkey thing...hear no evil...see no evil....speak no evil. It goes on everywhere.  Some get deeper into than others, but make no mistake, it's going on at some level.

College football is BIG, BIG business, generating untold millions for the athletic departments and universities.  I've told the story of being at an FSU/Miami game where they paraded the Million Dollar donors out at halftime.  They lined them up across the field and introduced them.  One couple had given $10 million and all of this money was donated directly to the athletic department.  When you are responsible for keeping the golden goose laying those eggs, you'll do whatever it takes to keep that going.  That means getting the best players possible signed and doing what it takes to keep some of them happy.  It could be as simple as a little cash on the side. It could be as blatant as buyin' Mama a crib.  But it happens.  That's why I don't get too caught up in the point and laugh when the NCAA comes knocking on someone else's door.  These are not choir boys running these programs and their multi-million dollar jobs depend on keeping up with the Jones' and Lord Saybinz' and Corch Meyers of the world.       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions