Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Why Not Cliff Lee?

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
Re: Why Not Cliff Lee?
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »
I'm just not convinced the Braves need another arm in the rotation right now.  With Jurrjens back and Chris Medlen pitching as strong as he has, I'm with Thrilla.  Move Kawa1-15 to the pen and let him come on in long relief.  Honestly, even the pen is in damn good shape.  We have Moylan (RHP) and O'Flaherty (LHP) in for middle relief, and Venters (LHP) and Saito (RHP) in as set up guys.  There isn't really a need on the pitching side. 

As for another bat....  I say put McLouth and Escobar on the trading block and get a true centerfielder.  Give Omar the starting SS position and move him permanently into the #2 spot.  Continue to let Melky and Hinske rotate in the LF spot.  If Diaz can get back in a groove let him rotate with Melky and use Hinske as Troy's backup and let him be the first bat off the bench each night.  Between him and Conrad, our pinch hitting has been phenomenal. 

IMO, Bobby has the tools this season to at least make the NLCS.  If Troy and Chipper can stay healthy, the bats and pitching is there. 

You're right about trading McClouth and Escobar.  They just haven't produced like they should've this year.  Question is, how good of a player can we get in return for them?  I don't see anything awesome coming back at the Braves for them unless they throw in some serious minor league prospects into the deal. 

You are spot on about Melky, Hinske, Diaz, and Conrad.  I'm for moving Omar into everyday play as well-he deserves it.  Don't forget about McCann's back up, Ross. He is no slouch either.  The Braves have not had a bench like this since the mid 90's.  This team can go all the way...one more big bat added to the mix only increases the odds.

Oh, and before I forget...all hail Bobby Cox.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 12:55:27 PM »
You're right about trading McClouth and Escobar.  They just haven't produced like they should've this year.  Question is, how good of a player can we get in return for them?  I don't see anything awesome coming back at the Braves for them unless they throw in some serious minor league prospects into the deal. 

Exactly.

The McClouth is especially worthless in trade talks with his salary. We aren't going to get anything for him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

chinook

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »
cliff lee to the rangers.

next...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »
Omar is 11-20 in the last four games.  He is absolutely ripping it up right now.  We most certainly must find him a spot once Heyward returns after the break.  I wouldn't be opposed to dealing McLouth with Escobar for another bench bat if it meant losing McLouth's ridiculous contract.  I like Escobar's arm, but Omar can get the routine plays, and would be a boost to the top of the lineup batting behind Prado on a daily basis. 

On the average night, Bobby has Ross, Conrad, Blanco and either Hinske or Diaz on the bench.  It would be nice to get a bat for the second half, but it's not worth giving up Omar.  Because he doesn't have a position, he'll be the guy everyone is after when we start looking around.

Sweep the Mets tomorrow and that will be a 6 game lead heading into the break.  That would be good for the best record in the National League and depending on the Rays, we'll be either 2nd or 3rd best in the Majors.  Braves are sitting nice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions