Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
Not all Arkansas fans think like me on the subject.
The real idiot Nutt hugger fans share your point of view.
Sit back and watch our program vs Ole Miss's program for the next couple of years. That will give both coaches time to get THEIR teams in place. Then see who you would rather have as a coach.
If I had to pick between the two, I would pick Nutt every day, and twice on Saturdays. Nutt is a defensive minded coach, fields a mentally tough team, and regardless of his quirkiness, he can get the job done. Give credit to Nutt AND Petrino that coaching at Arkansas isn't the easiest place in the world to coach at. But like I've said before, you have to make do.

Petrino worked out well at Louisville, sure, but that was the Big East. This is the SEC. He's recruiting like he's still at Louisville. That shit is not going to cut it in the SEC. And guess what? He's never been known as that great of a recruiter either. I know I can tell you until I'm blue in the face, and it won't matter. I'm going to believe what I'm going to believe, and so will you. Maybe you just hated Nutt so much that you can't, or refuse to see what's coming down the pipe. I mean, it's so much easier to blame the guy that left, isn't it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2010, 12:10:37 PM »
If I had to pick between the two, I would pick Nutt every day, and twice on Saturdays. Nutt is a defensive minded coach, fields a mentally tough team, and regardless of his quirkiness, he can get the job done. Give credit to Nutt AND Petrino that coaching at Arkansas isn't the easiest place in the world to coach at. But like I've said before, you have to make do.

Petrino worked out well at Louisville, sure, but that was the Big East. This is the SEC. He's recruiting like he's still at Louisville. That shit is not going to cut it in the SEC. And guess what? He's never been known as that great of a recruiter either. I know I can tell you until I'm blue in the face, and it won't matter. I'm going to believe what I'm going to believe, and so will you. Maybe you just hated Nutt so much that you can't, or refuse to see what's coming down the pipe. I mean, it's so much easier to blame the guy that left, isn't it?

I cannot fucking believe Im in 100% agreement w/ you on Nutt!  FUCK ME!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
I cannot fucking believe Im in 100% agreement w/ you on Nutt!  FUCK ME!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

RWS

« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »

Oh, there is some blindness around here. But it isn't me or JR.

It's scary that you describe what Petrino is doing as filling in the holes and stocking the cupboard with talent. Mallett is about all you got, and he simply doesn't have the supporting cast. What do you think is going to happen when he leaves? It certainly isn't going to get any better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

boartitz

« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
Here's another addition for this year.
Bama didn't offer Bobby Humphrey's kid? Really?
I guess yall didn't need him.
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-8541767907377354472/birmingham-news-metro-athlete-of-the-year-hoovers-maudrecus-humphrey/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »
Here's another addition for this year.
Bama didn't offer Bobby Humphrey's kid? Really?
I guess yall didn't need him.
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-8541767907377354472/birmingham-news-metro-athlete-of-the-year-hoovers-maudrecus-humphrey/

Only five stars baby. Saban is that good! :bamahomer:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

boartitz

« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »
http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2010/6/23/1531887/expect-war-in-fayetteville
If you're skeert, say you're skeert.
Some of these bammers are a lot smarter than most of the bammer crowd here.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:11:26 PM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2010, 10:24:39 PM »
http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2010/6/23/1531887/expect-war-in-fayetteville
If you're skeert, say you're skeert.
Some of these bammers are a lot smarter than most of the bammer crowd here.

Until Petrino can average more than 2.5 wins a year against SEC competition, STFU.  Nobody is scared of Petrino, nobody gives a damn about Arkansas.  Maybe Arky will be better.  Maybe not.  Until you motherfuckers can prove something on the field, quit expecting everyone to quiver at the thought of playing your shitty team. 

For fuck's sake...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2010, 11:47:59 PM »

Until Petrino can average more than 2.5 wins a year against SEC competition, STFU.  Nobody is scared of Petrino, nobody gives a damn about Arkansas.  Maybe Arky will be better.  Maybe not.  Until you motherphukers can prove something on the field, quit expecting everyone to quiver at the thought of playing your poopty team. 

For phuk's sake...

I would say Token is not scared.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

boartitz

« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2010, 11:49:17 PM »
I must have hit a nerve.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »
Petrino = better X's and O's coach, will attract more skill players
Nutt = better motivator, did more with less
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
I would say Token is not scared.

Assured even.

I smell a bet involving the digestion of a hat.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:45:19 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »
Assured even.

I smell a bet involving the digestion of a hat.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »
I must have hit a nerve.
It's just that nobody can figure out where the hell you are getting your assumptions from, other than blind homerism. I mean, you're sitting here citing a true freshmen that hasn't even been on campus a month (who is from Alabama and didn't even get an offer from UA or AU, which means alot when you're from Alabama) as one of the "missing pieces" of the puzzle. It would be one thing if it was Dyer, or some other kid that is a proven insanely talented recruit. You remind me of our fans who claimed Shula was recruiting so well when he was at Alabama, and were doing so out of blindness.

Petrino has shown that he can do what any mediocre coach in the country can do; win the games he should win, lose the games he should lose, and get lucky once or twice in between. Sure, he improved from 5-7 in his first season to 8-5 in 09, but what exactly did that earn you guys? Tied for last in the West. And if Petrino keeps recruiting like he's still in the Big East, that's where Arkansas will stay. Token hit the nail on the head. Nobody is scared of Petrino. Alabama certainly isn't. Arkansas is right in there with UK, Vandy, and MSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
Petrino = better X's and O's coach, will attract more skill players
Nutt = better motivator, did more with less

I think I might agree with that.

Bottom line.  To hate on Nutt, as Wes and boartitz have you have to pick the snapshots out of his career and arrange them to suit your agenda, and you have to start by believing Ark. has as much potential as any other top tier SEC program.  As I've said, IMHO, they don't, and there's nothing to suggest they do.  

Those that have decided a coach sucks will usually do as they've done here and give the coach ZERO credit for his wins, good seasons, etc. and assign him all the blame for anything negative.  

Like:

"He won with another coach's players" - Despite the fact that the previous coach didn't win with them, Nutt gets not credit for his early success at either Ark. or Ole Miss in their eyes.  

"New staff, new attitude equals early wins...the real Nutt eventually shows up." - Can basically be said about any coach and staff.  

"He didn't 'win' anything, he had McFadden and Jones, not a complete team". - After railing on how he ran the program in to the ground due to sorry recruiting, and can't coach but won with another coach's players, he's given no credit for the players he got, or coaching them to their best season(s), because they were star players...the kind that every coach dreams of to make his team better.  And we all know you don't coach players like McFadden and Jones, you just send them out on the field and tell them to make a play.  See Ronnie Brown, Carnell Williams, Brandon Jacobs, and Tre Smith in the 2003 version of the Auburn Tigers for how that works out every single time.

If you want to say a coach sux, you can usually find a way to fashion some stats to suit that point of view.  Bottom line, I believe that Ark., as long as they're in the SECW, is a perennial 7-9 win team, with a better and worse season or two sprinkled in for good measure, and 3-5 SEC win team.  In a good year, they may challenge for the west, but they'll never have all the horses needed to make a run through the west, and beat the best the SECE has to offer in Atl.  Never!  

Mark it down.  Petrino won't significantly better Nutt's record (won't better it by a winning percentage greater than 5% over Nutt's), and won't win an SEC Championship.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:11:21 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »
I think I might agree with that.

Bottom line.  To hate on Nutt, as Wes and boartitz have you have to pick the snapshots out of his career and arrange them to suit your agenda, and you have to start by believing Ark. has as much potential as any other top tier SEC program.  As I've said, IMHO, they don't, and there's nothing to suggest they do.  

Those that have decided a coach sucks will usually do as they've done here and give the coach ZERO credit for his wins, good seasons, etc. and assign him all the blame for anything negative.  

Like:

"He won with another coach's players" - Despite the fact that the previous coach didn't win with them, Nutt gets not credit for his early success at either Ark. or Ole Miss in their eyes.  

"New staff, new attitude equals early wins...the real Nutt eventually shows up." - Can basically be said about any coach and staff.  

"He didn't 'win' anything, he had McFadden and Jones, not a complete team". - After railing on how he ran the program in to the ground due to sorry recruiting, and can't coach but won with another coach's players, he's given no credit for the players he got, or coaching them to their best season(s), because they were star players...the kind that every coach dreams of to make his team better.  And we all know you don't coach players like McFadden and Jones, you just send them out on the field and tell them to make a play.  See Ronnie Brown, Carnell Williams, Brandon Jacobs, and Tre Smith in the 2003 version of the Auburn Tigers for how that works out every single time.

If you want to say a coach sux, you can usually find a way to fashion some stats to suit that point of view.  Bottom line, I believe that Ark., as long as they're in the SECW, is a perennial 7-9 win team, with a better and worse season or two sprinkled in for good measure, and 3-5 SEC win team.  In a good year, they may challenge for the west, but they'll never have all the horses needed to make a run through the west, and beat the best the SECE has to offer in Atl.  Never!  

Mark it down.  Petrino won't significantly better Nutt's record (won't better it by a winning percentage greater than 5% over Nutt's), and won't win an SEC Championship.  

And just curious because I know you probably have the stats already......what are Nutt's and Petrino's win averages per year? I would like to bet they aren't much different at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »
And just curious because I know you probably have the stats already......what are Nutt's and Petrino's win averages per year? I would like to bet they aren't much different at all.

I haven't looked at their careers because there's no basis to compare them really, since Nutt has been in the SEC since 1998, and Petrino just arrived, but I'll look and see.

FWIW, I think Bobby Petrino is a good coach too.  Different from Nutt, like you said, an Xs and Os guy, and more of a CEO type.  Because I think Ark. is Ark., he won't better what Nutt did. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »
Nutt: 10 Years   75-48   Avg: 7.5/4.8  - so lets just say he averaged an 8-5 season while at Arky. They finished first or tied for first in the West 3 times, and finished last NOT once. 8 Bowl Invites in 10 seasons. Rivals Class Ranks (Back to 2002): #36, #31, #27, #24, #22, #28, #26 - Avg #27

Petrino: 2 years   13-12  Avg: 6.5/6 - so lets say this is a 6-6 avg season so far at Arky.  Two 4th place finishes in the SEC West. 1 bowl game in 2 seasons. Rivals Class Ranks: #49, #16 - Avg #33

So Nutt sustained an 8 win avg, finished 1st in the West 30% of the time, 80% bowl appearance rate, Rivals Class Avg of 27th (About the same as Va Tech meaning the talent was NOT void, no excuse).

Petrino is sitting at a 6 win avg, with 2 4th place finishes, 50% bowl appearance rate, Rivals Class Avg of 33rd.

SO FAR....why exactly all the bashing of Nutt and praising of Petrino? I don't see the huge hype surrounding Petrino here. On paper, Nutt has every advantage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE