Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

ESPN Recruiting Rankings

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: ESPN Recruiting Rankings
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »
I know what I've been told about this hire by folks close to Neal Brown.  And I know what happened at Auburn in 2008.  We shall see if a leopard can change his spots. 

I am interested to hear what you know...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »

He would have to kill you.  Just accept that this information comes from a "Source close to the situation."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
Uh oh, I feel a V-bomb a comin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 04:16:34 PM »

I stay in email contact now and again with Tony Franklin...do you want to know more than that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
I stay in email contact now and again with Tony Franklin...do you want to know more than that?

Of course. Spill it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »

Name dropper.  

I would be curious to know his true take on Tuberville's "methods" when it comes to handling his coaches and the overall program.  Initially, I always had the impression of TT as the CEO who hired his guys and let them do their thing while he was overseeing the big picture.  In the practices I went to over the years, I rarely saw him out there and when he was, he was just glad handing and shooting the bull with people.  He would sometimes do a post practice talk but little else.

It became apparent later (My perception only) that he tried to/did control everything to a point that he even stifled game plans.  Borges said as much after the 04' LSU game.  He said they went in there with a game plan that he knew would run LSU off the field but at the last second, Tubby told him to go ultra conservative because of the high winds that day.  It was like Borges was saying, We won....but..."

I've always wondered how those relationships really worked, especially during the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »
Of course. Spill it.

Well, I don't know anything that isn't patently obvious from the hire.  Brown was made assurances, admissions of fault by Tubs about the Franklin disaster were made, and Brown was convinced that he'd be allowed to run the offense...and for instance, Matt Moore was retained from the old staff to coach OL.  Moore played at Valdosta St. when Leach was the OC there...he's very ingrained in the Air Raid offense.  Sonnie Cumbie, inside receivers is in his first year as a college coach, but coach played for Leach at TT.  The RB coach came from Troy.  

IOW, Tuberville is giving the illusion of committing to the Air Raid.  All the talk when he hired Franklin about not allowing him to bring coaches...I don't know how much input Brown had in these hires...but they all have Air Raid ties to one extent or the other on the offensive side of the ball.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:50:20 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
Name dropper.  

I would be curious to know his true take on Tuberville's "methods" when it comes to handling his coaches and the overall program.  Initially, I always had the impression of TT as the CEO who hired his guys and let them do their thing while he was overseeing the big picture.  In the practices I went to over the years, I rarely saw him out there and when he was, he was just glad handing and shooting the bull with people.  He would sometimes do a post practice talk but little else.

It became apparent later (My perception only) that he tried to/did control everything to a point that he even stifled game plans.  Borges said as much after the 04' LSU game.  He said they went in there with a game plan that he knew would run LSU off the field but at the last second, Tubby told him to go ultra conservative because of the high winds that day.  It was like Borges was saying, We won....but..."

I've always wondered how those relationships really worked, especially during the game.

Franklin is hardly a name to be dropping in Auburn circles. 

Here's the thing with the Air Raid...it's not really about any special plays...it's about a practice method.  Any Air Raid team practices throwing the ball in practice 80%+ of their practice time.  Air Raid guys have a very recognizible set of drills, and practice schedules.  It's all about how they practice it, and game plan, and NONE of this fits with Tubs philosophy.  Fact is, though, and Franklin admits this...Franklin KNEW this going in, and took the job anyway.  Like a woman marrying a player man...Franklin thought he could learn to live with it and make it work until he could change the philosophy.  One thing he didn't count on, was the Asst. Coaches having as much say as they did in things.  If the BBQ boys didn't like it, Tubs wasn't going to force it down their throats.  He allowed the mutiny.  There was plenty of fault to go around. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »
He knows what kind of kids will go to Lubbock.

Leach was able to gets some kids out there. And, once again what I have been told, (bar talk) is that most of the kids enjoyed playing for leach.  of course -1.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

JR4AU

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
Leach was able to gets some kids out there. And, once again what I have been told, (bar talk) is that most of the kids enjoyed playing for leach.  of course -1.

One of the other things Tubs has done, in addtion to not only hiring an Air Raid OC and letting him have an Air Raid O staff, is that the entire staff is VERY young.  They'll be wanting to make their mark, get some big wins, and move up and out to bigger and better things.  Tubs will be a deal closer...the ACs will do the leg work and heavy lifting.  We will see if it works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »
Regardless of the fact that Tubbs left the depth chart in shambles, I still hope he does well at TTech.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
Regardless of the fact that Tubbs left the depth chart in shambles, I still hope he does well at TTech.

I could honestly careless if the sunofabeech does well. Screw him, were in a new era now in Auburn athletics that is better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
I could honestly careless if the sunofabeech does well. Screw him, were in a new era now in Auburn athletics that is better.

Tubs has a new recruiting coordinator these days. And boy can he find 'em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »

I'll go out on a limb and say that you're probably in the minority with this opinion.

Most people I talk to still like Tubs, revere him for most of his time on the Plains, and wish him well (unless his success comes at our expense).

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »

lol...you should have posted this in red GH.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
I wanted Tubs to succeed like no other corch.  I couldn't think of a more classy, straightforward individual to be the face of the University. There were two things that stood out to me during his tenure that really made me want that guy to be at AU for 20+ years.  First, the fingers...all 6 of them.  Not just that he beat Alabama..it was more that he celebrated with us.  Tubs got it when it came to the true rivalry.  I heard it in several talks he gave.  He said he was well aware that beating Bama is the #1 priority and it's not a successful season if they don't win that game. 

The other was his riff with ESPN.  The guy openly called ESPN out for having way too much influence on the game and where teams were ranked.  Also called out some of the talking bobble heads like Lou Holtthzthz.  When Dan Patrick invited him on his show to basically try and rip Tubs a new one, Tommy didn't back down and refused to shy away from what he said. He was and is...100% right.  I loved every second of it and I was happy it was our corch stepping up.

Unfortunately, his time at AU had run it's course for various reasons.  I hope the guy tears it up at Tech.  I still think it's a very strange match and he's one of the last corches I would have considered to go to that program.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 01:29:11 PM »
I don't think Auburn fans are much different than others concerning past coaches. You're right Harvey, Tub's got it, and he was a great CEO, a delegater, and the face of the program for 10 seasons. And he kept up a great fight even after that infamous attempt to remove him while making terrific coordinator hires throughout.

The Franklin (wide open attack) was the wrong move (hindsight...) because Tub's had long standing ties with his (smashmouth) staff. He developed those ties, and weighing things out, I think he did the honorable thing and cut 'em all loose. Tub's did way more than most could under the circumstances for everyone involved.

Unfortunately, the recruiting downfall was a bleeding ulcer that still affects the program. Don't hate the man, dislike the returns.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:22 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and say that you're probably in the minority with this opinion.

Most people I talk to still like Tubs, revere him for most of his time on the Plains, and wish him well (unless his success comes at our expense).

I can relate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
I can relate.
And for some strange reason :rolleyes: I feel obligated to halfway defend him whenever this gets rehashed. Can't help myself!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »

I may be. But its how I feel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE