Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

WE CHANGED DEFENSIVE STRATEGY !

JR4AU

Re: WE CHANGED DEFENSIVE STRATEGY !
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »
You pretty much said that most fans are dumb asses, but you know what you are talking about....so I said I would shut up and let you talk, because you like to let people know how smart you are. You probably got the tone right, but it was your assumptions and comprehension that fucked you all up...

No, I didn't say that, you took it that way.  Fact is, most fans are not dumbasses when it comes to knowing something about football, but they are largely ignorant about coaching, Xs and Os, and the like.  There's a difference in stupidity and ignorance.  And that ignorance is ok.  They're not coaches, and most never played beyond HS, if at all.  I do know a little more than the average fan because I see to it that I do, and I coach a little too, and I also realize that most fans are happy in their ignorance, which again, is ok.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 01:23:03 PM »
Not getting in the middle of this little point/counterpoint exchange...but WE knows just a touch more than he's letting on.  He may look ignorant.... :)

I'm the average fan out there.  Like many, played some ball in high school and follow it with a passion...too much passion some times.  I've said several times that my brother in law has been a high school coach around here for a long time but I usually bring that up to point out that I really don't know jack shit about X's and O's like I would like to think I do.  He's been a head coach for many years and spent the last few as the defensive coordinator at a 5A school here.  We watch a lot of AU football together and it became readily apparent to me early on that I watch the game as a fan.  He watches from a coaches standpoint.  I say that was a great throw and catch.  He says it was inevitable with the way the linemen were slanting and they continued to bring pressure from the corner every time we were in that particular set. ( I have no idea what the fuck I just said)  But, you get the picture.

Obviously, teh X's and teh O's get more complex with each progressive level of play and I would imagine in the SEC, it can get pretty far out there. I recall going to a practice several years ago and wondering why the hell Muschamp was talking Chinese to his players. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
Not getting in the middle of this little point/counterpoint exchange...but WE knows just a touch more than he's letting on.  He may look ignorant.... :)

I'm the average fan out there.  Like many, played some ball in high school and follow it with a passion...too much passion some times.  I've said several times that my brother in law has been a high school coach around here for a long time but I usually bring that up to point out that I really don't know jack shit about X's and O's like I would like to think I do.  He's been a head coach for many years and spent the last few as the defensive coordinator at a 5A school here.  We watch a lot of AU football together and it became readily apparent to me early on that I watch the game as a fan.  He watches from a coaches standpoint.  I say that was a great throw and catch.  He says it was inevitable with the way the linemen were slanting and they continued to bring pressure from the corner every time we were in that particular set. ( I have no idea what the fuck I just said)  But, you get the picture.

Obviously, teh X's and teh O's get more complex with each progressive level of play and I would imagine in the SEC, it can get pretty far out there. I recall going to a practice several years ago and wondering why the hell Muschamp was talking Chinese to his players. 

Yep! 

And back to the original point.  While the article has some merit in it's base about having complimentary schemes, it was apparent, even to "the ignorant fan" that Auburn's defense suffered from a lack of talent, and fundamentals.  I'm sure a scheme change and philosophy change played in to it, but it was still largely talent and techniques. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 01:34:50 PM »
You can use a swarming defense against the option. When they say your responsibility they mean the ball. You have the dive, you have the QB, you have fast pitch and you have slow pitch. The rest of the defense is coming but these people are used to make sure the play does not pop for a big gain. I do not like tackling the ball. A good sure tackle will result in getting you defense off the field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
You can use a swarming defense against the option. When they say your responsibility they mean the ball. You have the dive, you have the QB, you have fast pitch and you have slow pitch. The rest of the defense is coming but these people are used to make sure the play does not pop for a big gain. I do not like tackling the ball. A good sure tackle will result in getting you defense off the field.

I dont know for sure that's what Roof coaches, just that I've heard that.  IF he does, and last year's tackling is the net result, I concur...I'd rather get the turnovers naturally occurring than try to force them while missing tackles. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
I blitz a lot when I play Ncaa football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

JR4AU

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »

Bobby Bowden says: "when you blitz, somebody's band is fixin' to play!" 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »

I bet you get your ass whipped by Navy...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
I bet you get your ass whipped by Navy...

The man coverages SUCK on NCAA Football. You man up, you'll get your ass beat 8 ways to Sunday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
The man coverages SUCK on NCAA Football. You man up, you'll get your ass beat 8 ways to Sunday.

Speaking of...

When does the new edition of this game come out?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
Speaking of...

When does the new edition of this game come out?

Usually in July isn't it?  July 13th according to the innerwebs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:44 PM »
Usually in July isn't it?  July 13th according to the innerwebs.

Thanks for being my little google monkey.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
I say that was a great throw and catch.  He says it was inevitable with the way the linemen were slanting and they continued to bring pressure from the corner every time we were in that particular set. ( I have no idea what the fuck I just said)  But, you get the picture.

If you coach like the average fan watches, one play at a time, you are probably losing a lot of games. Offensive football is all about setting up the next play. Or several different combinations of plays, depending in the success of the next play. And most coaches always tend to coach toward that play that their players execute best. Fans see the end result or lack thereof. Think Nallsminger for lack thereof.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
If you coach like the average fan watches, one play at a time, you are probably losing a lot of games. Offensive football is all about setting up the next play. Or several different combinations of plays, depending in the success of the next play. And most coaches always tend to coach toward that play that their players execute best. Fans see the end result or lack thereof. Think Nallsminger for lack thereof.

Yep, and you also must run some plays that are not your bread and butter, but desinged to keep defenses honest.  A good OC has to factor in a certain number of these plays, that usually are not productive in the sense of gaining yards or scoring points, but facilitate the the running of his "bread an butter" plays.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 12:35:01 AM »
Yep, and you also must run some plays that are not your bread and butter, but desinged to keep defenses honest.  A good OC has to factor in a certain number of these plays, that usually are not productive in the sense of gaining yards or scoring points, but facilitate the the running of his "bread an butter" plays.

Very true and a good OC will find certain plays that will work one week and not the next. The plays are not drawn in the mud or anything but used against certain coverages and what not. I will even say your "bread and butter" could change slightly from week to week. In real football or NCAA I play zone all over the place. I will blitz but zone behind. As an offensive guy any defense you run has a hole. the job is to find it quick and hammer it time and time again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

jmar

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 12:28:31 AM »
 I posted this topic knowing it would get a rise. Mr. McGrady basically wrote an apology while offering nothing to support this new strategy. And most of us are in agreement about his anti-swarming, new tackling technique/ approach angles, ball stripping comments.

My defensive knowledge is limited to high school too, but defense is reactionary, fundamentals and technique are stock, even if a coordinator sees the need to back off at a given stage of a game. We had a base defense that ran stunts and blitzes. Staying at home was merely protecting your area. And we stripped the ball after the ball carrier was stood up. Swarming was expected.

McGrady describes this as if it were a hockey defense, defending a power play, bend but don't break. There might be something to meshing a defense with a hurry-up offense, but it cannot be considered a change in "fundamental defensive philosophy."  The article was nicely written, but it was style without substance.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions