Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Contactless Credit Cards easy to steal

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Contactless Credit Cards easy to steal
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:13:13 PM »
rest of world says "duh"!

http://www.banknet360.com/blogs/Item.do;jsessionid=B415D8A6C9B66498D0CF8A22B7568B22?pkId=297&serviceId=2&biId=

Industry:Cards
Contactless Cards' Risks Become Real
Posted by LeAnne Graves on Feb 22 2008 07:58:23 PST

Blogs Tools
Print Version
Email Blogs
Comments

RSS XML
Post an item

Many a card company have played down the ID-theft risks in RFID-driven smart cards. As a hacker proved recently, the threat is more acute then previously thought.

Python hacker and Adam Laurie took the stand at the Black Hat DC 2008 conference to demonstrate major security failings in the radio frequency identification tags used in modern credit cards and passports.

Asking for a volunteer from the audience who had a smart-card on or about his person, hacker Laurie waved his magic RFID reader at the suddenly famous attendee and suceeded in popping their name along with the account number and expiration date for their RFID-enabled American Express credit card up on the big screen – without ever touching the man in question or even removing the card from his wallet.

As if it weren’t already hard to keep up with the latest trends of identity theft and fraud, now there’s another one. RFID, or radio frequency identification tags, are growing in popularity globally, with uses as diverse as in credit cards, animal tagging and even U.K. passports. These tiny chips rely on radio fields of a specific frequency to broadcast stored information that save holders time.

Credit card companies began introducing them in 2005 or so.

As crafty and cunning as thieves are, how did any credit card company not expect contactless cards to be compromised? The contactless card scanners now have a range of 38 feet, enough distance to simply stand on a street corner and casually siphon personal data from every contactless cardholder who walks by. One black-hat hacker has exposed another loophole: account numbers – once scanned – are still valid for online transactions.

Are you scared yet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."