Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2004 BCS National Championship Question...

2004 BCS National Championship Question...
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
...is starting to get attention as the USC decision looms...

Here's a story from Yahoo! today:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/BCS-Bush-plan-could-put-USC-s-2004-title-at-ri?urn=ncaaf,242417

BCS 'Bush plan' could put USC's 2004 title at risk
By Matt Hinton

Any day now, the NCAA's verdict in its four-year investigation into Reggie Bush's allegedly lucrative career at USC shall be released, presumably to great fanfare regardless of the specific consequences — or, just as interestingly, the lack thereof. (We're to the point that I'm getting vague email tips about the exact time the announcement is supposed to come, only to watch the proposed deadline quietly pass.) But the next phase of this ongoing story will have legs of its own if sanctions are indeed handed down. It will begin with the inevitable appeals process and extend through one of the central pillars of the speculation from the very beginning: If Bush is declared retroactively ineligible during his All-American sophomore and junior seasons, what happens to USC's 2004 BCS championship?

The answer until now has been "We don't know," because the NCAA has no authority over BCS bowls or titles, no precedent exists for a retroactively ineligible player on a recent championship team and the BCS has kept its nose out of what it sees, so far, as other people's business. Behind the scenes, it seems the BCS has been less silent, according to USA Today, which reported Wednesday night that the series has had a largely overlooked plan in place for ineligible players for years:

Quietly in early 2007, as the investigation into USC and alleged improprieties involving Bush and his family was unfolding, college football's Bowl Championship Series drew up a policy calling for teams' BCS appearances and BCS titles to be vacated when major rules violations subsequently are discovered and the institutions are sanctioned by the NCAA. Current BCS executive director Bill Hancock confirmed the provision Wednesday.
[...]
[The BCS'] policy stipulates: "When the NCAA or a conference makes a finding of violations … and imposes a sanction of forfeiture or vacation of contests in which an ineligible student-athlete participated, we will presume that vacation of participation in a BCS bowl game is warranted." That's if the player in question participated in that BCS game or in victories that led to the bowl berth.

The final decision would come down to the university heads on the BCS' Presidential Oversight Committee, but only after "the very end of the NCAA process," according to Hancock, "including any appeals."

The provision hasn't applied to any of the teams that have had wins vacated by the NCAA over the last five years (namely Oklahoma, Florida State and Alabama) because none made it into a BCS game in the years in which the sanctions applied. In fact, for all the asterisks in the history of the "national championship," none has ever been appended because of an ineligible player or any other malfeasance uncovered after the fact. (Not that a few of of those teams, perhaps a lot of them, didn't or don't still deserve the scutiny. But they haven't been officially sanctioned by the NCAA or any of the many bodies that have dished out trophies through the years.) But it would seem to clearly apply in USC's case if Bush is declared ineligible for 2004, when he and his family are accused of beginning a relationship with would-be agents, including alleged perks and debt payments on behalf of Bush's parents, months before the Trojans routed Oklahoma to wrap up the title in the '05 Orange Bowl.

What form a vacated championship would take is anyone's guess. At minimum, USC would have to take a couple pages out of its media guide and take down a banner or two while somebody updates a couple Wikipedia pages. At the other extreme, a team of white-gloved men would stomp into Heritage Hall and carry the trophy with the crystal football away as cameras pop all around them. Even worse, the university could be asked to pay back the $3 million it earned in bowl payouts in 2004 and 2005. Maybe No. 2 Auburn, snubbed by the system despite a perfect record in the SEC, would finally get some wider recognition as "the real champion," whatever that means in lieu of a playoff. But it certainly will not change any of the facts on the field, or settle any of the old arguments about them. Future bowl bans and scholarship reductions are one thing, but as a wise man once said, we all know who won the games.

According to some posters on Scout, Auburn has been agreed on by the College Football Live crew today as the team that should be given the championship.

This is an interesting debate that seems to divide Auburn folks, ironically because we absolutely don't want to be seen as the same as those that claim lesser championships for the sake of blowing up what would have been an impressive number at the accurate count.  

What does everyone think now, IFFFFF we seem to be given a respected, and perceived as earned title in lieu of the current circumstances with USC??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:33:08 PM by AuburnChopper »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: 2004 BCS National Championship Question...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
If a Laundromat in Tuscaloosa wants to pick Alabama No. 1, we'll claim it. - Paul Bryant
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »
Vacate it and leave it at that.  Personally I wouldn't want to claim a NC that has been awarded retro.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »
2004 Bcs champs put it on the board!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »
Vacate it and leave it at that.  Personally I wouldn't want to claim a NC that has been awarded retro.

I agree, and disagree.  I think I'd feel awkward about being given a retro BCS Championship, because we didn't play in the BCS Championship game, but if the AP voters voted us 2004 Champions after considering the facts of the season, I'd be more okay with that.

I guess what allows me to accept ANYTHING, is the fact we DID win ALL of our games.  We didn't lose, and then get awarded retroactively.  We should have been in that game over Oklahoma.  THAT is what makes this a little different for me.

JMO...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
I wonder what the Texas fans will think about claiming the vacated 2009 BCS Title?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
I wonder what the Texas fans will think about claiming the vacated 2009 BCS Title?

:drevil: :pot:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »
:popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
I've claimed it since January 3rd, 2005 when I was celebrating in my seat at the Superdome. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
I've claimed it since January 3rd, 2005 when I was celebrating in my seat at the Superdome. 
Me too.  That night there was no doubt in my mind.  Didn't matter to me whether we played or not.

I am not convinced that we would have beaten USC head to head.  But I am 100% confident that we would have kicked Oklahoma's ass just like USC did.  The Sooners just did not freaking show up.

That being said, I am not fond of moral victories.  USC got all the love that year purely because of Reggie Bush, IMO.  If you choose to love up on someone other than me, and then find out after the fact that they are a dirty cheating whore that probably gave you the clap, don't be running back to me later saying we didn't mean it, we should have picked you.  Fuck you, Kirk Herbstreit. Auburn doesn't take anyone's sloppy seconds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »
Same here.  I also have the poster from the Eufala Tribune to prove it...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
Same here.  I also have the poster from the Eufala Tribune to prove it...

I need to see this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »
2 problems Auburn is gonna have claiming this title.

1)  When the NCAA vacates a win, the other team doesn't claim the win...

2)  Even if you could somehow claim the win that USC is forced to vacate...Oklahoma was ranked #2 and Auburn #3 at the time of the BCS Game.  Oklahoma lost to the ineligible team for the Championship.  If any team is retroactively named the Champion it would be the team that played for the Championship against the ineligible team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 05:44:49 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

Aubie16

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »
2 problems Auburn is gonna have claiming this title.

1)  When the NCAA vacates a win, the other team doesn't claim the win...

2)  Even if you could somehow claim the win that USC is forced to vacate...Oklahoma was ranked #2 and Auburn #3 at the time of the BCS Game.  Oklahoma lost to the ineligible team for the Championship.  If any team is retroactively named the Champion it would be the team that played for the Championship against the ineligible team.

No problems here. I don't give a rat's ass if anybody else believes it or not. I know we were the best team in the country that year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 05:50:54 PM »
National Champ BIOCHES!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Birmingham

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »
No problems here. I don't give a rat's ass if anybody else believes it or not. I know we were the best team in the country that year.

Prove it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
National Champ BIOCHES!!!!!

This I can agree with.  If you're gonna claim it be blatant about it with no regard for facts, logic or difference from anyone.  You were undefeated so already there's enough to ligitematly claim it on that alone, but everyone needs to be together on it, not just 20%.  20% is no good, you need to be closer to 80%.  Then after you get a generation under your belt that wasn't alive for it they'll start believing it as though there was no controversy at all.

Clearly I'm an authority to speak on this subject.  Me giving you lessons on how to retroactively claim National Championships is like getting putt putt golf lessons from Jack Nicklaus.  There's just some things that nobody can fucking do better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »
Prove it.

Don't need to.

Nobody proved they were better than us on the field that year so I consider it a national championship for Auburn. Not too mention, no SEC team has ever lost a bcs championship game...let alone an undefeated one. I'm happy and content to leave it at so you don't have to fish for, or expect any other responses from me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 06:39:26 PM »
Don't need to.

Nobody proved they were better than us on the field that year so I consider it a national championship for Auburn. Not too mention, no SEC team has ever lost a bcs championship game...let alone an undefeated one. I'm happy and content to leave it at so you don't have to fish for, or expect any other responses from me.
+1000000000000000000000
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions