Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

87% Say English...

JR4AU

Re: 87% Say English...
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »
Your simple question presents an alternative perspective to the ad that is not necessarily represented in the ad, intent or otherwise.  You see this as a derogatory attack against non-English speakers.  That's the argument.  

Uh, it's quite clearly, and a completely undisguised add directed at and pandering to the "damn ferners" types in this state.  If you believe otherwise, you're naive. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
The workers they brought in weren't here to stay.  They were here for months to set up machinery and to keep equipment functioning until American help was hired and trained to operate the equipment.  

Then, as a temporary worker (2-3 months), they likely don't need a driver's license, especially if they have one in their home country.  

I worked for KLP from 2004 until 2007.  Once they had the facility operating, KLP generally only had around 10-15 permanent employees from Japan.  Mostly in the upper management, and all spoke English fluently.  

Was the driving exam a deciding factor for the Honda company?  I don't know.  I'm just stating that for a fact, they did have workers over here for up to a year who could not speak English.  They also provided all of those associates with company vehicles, so they most certainly were able to obtain a license during their stay in Alabama.  

I'm not sure if you need a DL for a temporary assignment "up to a year".  Either way, if you don't know a locally accepted language, you're putting yourself at risk.  Imagine a health emergency.  How would you communicate with the medical staff treating you?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
 Imagine a health emergency.  How would you communicate with the medical staff treating you?  

Who cares?  Socialized medicine you got no chance of seeing the doctor before you die anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GarMan

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »
And it still holds water even if all these companies are "smart enough" to have english speaking personnel to send over.   I wouldn't do business with a bunch of snootie ass Frenchmen even if I could speak their damn language, for the sole reason that they're poopheads about Americans.  I feel certain that an atmosphere of tolerance towards foriegners (who are here legally, but might not be fluent in the language) would certainly play a part in deciding where to locate my company.  While I might employ mostly Americans, and as many English speaking people as I could...to know that if I needed to employ some who didn't speak the language life would be made that much tougher on them would factor in.  

There's a major difference here.  We wouldn't do business with the French because they have spoken out against the United States on several occasions.  This political ad doesn't say anything negative about any specific country or culture.  This has nothing to do with "tolerance".  This extends to accommodation and even to appeasement.  

It's petty, simple...  I agree, but it's nothing like this has been portreyed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
There's a major difference here.  We wouldn't do business with the French because they have spoken out against the United States on several occasions.  This political ad doesn't say anything negative about any specific country or culture.  This has nothing to do with "tolerance".  This extends to accommodation and even to appeasement.  

It's petty, simple...  I agree, but it's nothing like this has been portreyed.

I have to be completely honest...I don't have anything against accomidating people to a certain extent.  If they're here legally, looking to make a better life, and can contribute as a tax paying citizen, I look at giving them a helping hand with something like a DL test in their language as an investment. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 03:52:02 PM »
Uh, it's quite clearly, and a completely undisguised add directed at and pandering to the "damn ferners" types in this state.  If you believe otherwise, you're naive. 

But, it's far from the direct attack that you seem to recognize it as...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
I have to be completely honest...I don't have anything against accomidating people to a certain extent.  If they're here legally, looking to make a better life, and can contribute as a tax paying citizen, I look at giving them a helping hand with something like a DL test in their language as an investment. 

Call me old-fashioned, but assimilation used to be part of the "here legally, looking to make a better life, and can contribute as a tax" payer fairytale.  My grandparents learned the honky-gringo language as they pursued their citizenship.  I expect others to do the same.  That's not intolerance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
But, it's far from the direct attack that you seem to recognize it as...

I recognize it as exactly what I stated it to be...pandering to the "damn ferners" type.  And an insult to me as an Alabamaian thats a bit more intelligent and eduacated than that.  I never once suggested it was a direct attack on any one group. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
I recognize it as exactly what I stated it to be...pandering to the "damn ferners" type.  And an insult to me as an Alabamaian thats a bit more intelligent and eduacated than that.  I never once suggested it was a direct attack on any one group. 

Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one...  You keep pushing me into a defensive position regarding the ad, but I can't play that for all the reasons that I've mentioned.  However, I do agree with the position. 

Also, you did bring up and essentially compare this to the French which involved direct insults and attacks against the United States.  The suggestion was presented.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one...  You keep pushing me into a defensive position regarding the ad, but I can't play that for all the reasons that I've mentioned.  However, I do agree with the position. 

Also, you did bring up and essentially compare this to the French which involved direct insults and attacks against the United States.  The suggestion was presented.
What does Juan De La McCain say about this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
What does Juan De La McCain say about this? 

Construir esa cerca del dang'ed...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions