Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ron Sparks vs Artur Davis

Token

Ron Sparks vs Artur Davis
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
Interesting primary coming up.  Because I'd rather not have Tim James or Roy Moore in office, I'll probably end up voting for the winner of these two.  

One would believe Davis would have the black vote, but apparently, he's has refused to appear before the three major black political organizations in the state to seek their endorsements.  Davis has said black voters don't need the organizations to tell them how to vote and that he won the congressional seat despite their opposition.  He also apparently voted against Obama's healthcare plan.  IMO, Davis is definitely taking a non-political approach to the election.  The only thing I've actually seen from the guy is something about cutting food taxes.  

As for Sparks, he apparently has the "black vote" and should win easily over the republicans on the ticket.  One of his platforms I agree with is the gambling issue.  I personally don't spend a ton of money on gambling, but I do believe it should be up to the voters.  I also believe that we are missing out on a ton of tax dollars each year by allowing our citizens to drive to each surrounding state for gambling.  

Anyone seriously considering voting for either of these two?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:36:50 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Re: Ron Sparks vs Authur Davis
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
Interesting primary coming up.  Because I'd rather not have Tim James or Roy Moore in office, I'll probably end up voting for the winner of these two. 

One would believe Davis would have the black vote, but apparently, he's has refused to appear before the three major black political organizations in the state to seek their endorsements.  Davis has said black voters don't need the organizations to tell them how to vote and that he won the congressional seat despite their opposition.  He also apparently voted against Obama's healthcare plan.  IMO, Davis is definitely taking a non-political approach to the election.  The only thing I've actually seen from the guy is something about cutting food taxes. 

As for Sparks, he apparently has the "black vote" and should win easily over the republicans on the ticket.  One of his platforms I agree with is the gambling issue.  I personally don't spend a ton of money on gambling, but I do believe it should be up to the voters.  I also believe that we are missing out on a ton of tax dollars each year by allowing our citizens to drive to each surrounding state for gambling. 

Anyone seriously considering voting for either of these two?

Davis must be waiting to make a late push...he's been pretty well invisible up to now.  Maybe he feel the primary isn't a problem and will spend all his money and efforts for the general election.  Don't know.  I like Davis, and think he's the best of all offered, but not by much.  I like some of the others points and platforms, but don't know anything about them. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »
He was out here this afternoon in full force...with this guy.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
He was out here this afternoon in full force...with this guy.

Jesse has been critical of Artur...not sure if he would support him, but appearing with him for the same cause is bad. 

“We even have blacks voting against the healthcare bill from Alabama,” Jackson said at a reception Wednesday night. “You can’t vote against healthcare and call yourself a black man.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/68451-jackson-you-cant-vote-against-healthcare-and-call-yourself-a-black-man=
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
Jesse has been critical of Artur...not sure if he would support him, but appearing with him for the same cause is bad. 

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/68451-jackson-you-cant-vote-against-healthcare-and-call-yourself-a-black-man=

That was my first thought when I saw him standing back there.  I believe William Bell is trying to restore order within the coalition...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »
That was my first thought when I saw him standing back there.  I believe William Bell is trying to restore order within the coalition...

Typically Artur has tried to distance himself from Black Politics.  Or at least that's been the way I've seen it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
In my opinion, Byrne > Davis > Sparks > all other candidates.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
In my opinion, Byrne > Davis > Sparks > all other candidates.

I would like Byrne if not for two things:

His ties to the 2 yr college system scandal
His past as a very liberal democrat (yes - democrat) with a very liberal voting record to include tax raises.

Bill Johnson seems like a nice enough of a person (like Moore) but may wield his sword with too much of a religious slant (also like Moore). I really like no one in this race 100%.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
I really like no one in this race 100%.

Agreed.  I'm just trying to vote for someone that isn't going to be a blatant asshole like Riley.  Also, I can't take anymore dickholes whining about illegal gambling.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:47:24 AM »
Agreed.  I'm just trying to vote for someone that isn't going to be a blatant asshole like Riley.  Also, I can't take anymore dickholes whining about illegal gambling.
Then don't vote for Slade Blackwell. Vote for Steve French who he is trying to slander with this site, and radio ads that are ripping him apart for (gasp) voting for gambling in Alabama.

http://www.truthaboutstevefrench.com/

Steve French is a HUGE supporter of gambling!
Steve French has been a HUGE supporter of gambling. French voted to allow the growth of bingo gambling and eventually electronic bingo in Alabama throughout his career.

French voted to adopt an amendment that would have allowed electronic gambling at Victoryland in Macon County 2008 SB 191 See the legislative voting record here.

French voted to allow the expansion of gambling in Walker County. 2008
SB401 See the legislative voting record here.

French voted to allow the first version of electronic bingo in Alabama
at Greene Track in Greene County. 2003 SB9 See the legislative voting
record here.

French voted to allow the expansion of gambling in Limestone County.
2000 HB169 See the legislative voting record here.

French voted to allow the expansion of gambling at Whitehall, one of the
first electronic bingo parlors raided by Gov. Riley. 2000 HB 807 See the
legislative voting record here.

When the legislature attempted to pass statewide FOR-PROFIT bingo, Steve
French abstained and didn't vote. 2004 SB381 See the legislative voting
record here.
The radio commercial basically went through these bullet points with segues such as "Not only that..." and "Even worse..."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

Re: Ron Sparks vs Artur Davis
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 02:37:18 PM »

I'm starting to like this guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
Quote from: Artur Davis
“People's responsibility, first and foremost, is to get re elected”

That is all I need to know about Davis.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Token

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »

That is all I need to know about Davis.....

Was that in an article?  If so, I'd like to read it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
Was that in an article?  If so, I'd like to read it.

Yes it was, can't remember where, but do remember reading it.  He was talking about other Democrats not endorsing Obama.  Said he held no ill will towards those not endorsing Obama before he said the above quote.  Went on to talk about leaving it up to the judgement of fellow members and that they were all loyal Democrats and would all vote with the Democrats on the issues, endorsement of Obama or not.  

EDIT: Let me clarify here.  I remember at the time that I took offense.  It was like he was saying, it didn't matter to him if fellow Democrats didn't endorse Obama, he knew they were doing what it took to get re elected and in the end they would pass their agenda.  That pisses me off. They are not there to do what it takes to keep getting elected.  They are there to do the will of thier constituents.  Too many of our politicians seem to forget that without our vote they wouldn't be where they are and they need to watch what they say and do.  Piss enough people off and you won't be where you are for long. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:31:32 PM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 12:52:14 PM »
I would like Byrne if not for two things:

His ties to the 2 yr college system scandal
His past as a very liberal democrat (yes - democrat) with a very liberal voting record to include tax raises.

Bill Johnson seems like a nice enough of a person (like Moore) but may wield his sword with too much of a religious slant (also like Moore). I really like no one in this race 100%.
By the way, the "democratic" vote in favor of a tax, was to fund education: something that is very much in need of funding in Alabama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »
By the way, the "democratic" vote in favor of a tax, was to fund education: something that is very much in need of funding in Alabama.

But wait a minute.  We (the state) passed the rainy day fund amendment in 08 for that cause.  It was going to put an end to proration in the state of Alabama and the schools would have a fund to dip into in order to fund education if there were shortages in funding. $250 million can be taken out which has to be paid back in 5 years. Which is already completely dry, btw.......wait, where is that going to come from?

I will admit that I believe that our education funding needs help.  I want that.  I don't want my taxes raised in order for the state to waste it.  I had a chance to look at the education funding (line item, btw) and you would be pissed at how much money is in there not going to education.

A few examples: $2 million to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame in Muscle Shoals.  The Alabama Music Hall of Fame Museum received an additional $500K.  Take that shit from donation or put it in the general funds.  I forgot the name of the private school that received $4 million of state educational money.  A private school receiving public funds? 

Those two might not seem like much, but every little bit helps and I would like to see it cleaned up first.  Then if they still can't make budget, then we will talk about raising taxes.  I for one am sick of politicians telling me they need to raise taxes to fund something and try to lay the guilt trip on me about it.  How about clean up your act, cut where it's not needed and spend within your means?  What a novel idea!  Next time you get to talk to your state rep, ask him/her if he/she voted yes on giving him/herself a 70% pay raise with tax payers money and how much that could have benefited the education budget.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »
I could never vote for a man with a missing "H" in his name.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
I could never vote for a man with a missing "H" in his name.

CCT was funny when funny wasn't cool.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE