Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

StatTiger's OLine Analysis

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
StatTiger's OLine Analysis
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »
There are high expectations for the 2010 Auburn offense and it all begins up front with a veteran offensive line. The Tigers 4 returning starters have 125 games of combined experience not to mention a full year of Malzahn’s offense and Coach Grimes techniques under their belts.

* Over the past 20-years, Auburn has allowed an average of 7.1% in yardage lost behind the line of scrimmage. Last season, the Auburn offense had 4.1% in lost yardage, the lowest percentage since 1995 (3.0%). It was the 3rd lowest percentage of lost yardage over the past two decades.

* Over the past 20-years, Auburn has allowed a QB sack every 14.3 pass attempts. Last season, Auburn allowed a sack every 17.3 pass attempts, the best ratio since 2000, when Auburn allowed a sack every 19.7 pass attempts. It was also the 6th best sack-ratio over the past two decades.

* Over the past 20-years, Auburn has averaged a run play of 15-yards or more every 16.7 rush attempts. This also includes a run play of 30-yards or more every 65.2 carries. During the 2009 season, the Auburn running game hit a 15-yard run or better every 13.1 rush attempts and a run play of 30-yards or more every 45.8 rush attempt. Auburn’s impact play ratio (15-yards) in the running game was 3rd best over the past two decades and their big play ratio (30-yards) was also 3rd best.

We are kidding ourselves if we don’t believe replacing Chris Todd and Ben Tate won’t be felt in 2010 but having a very good offensive line should make the transition smoother. If Cameron Newton remains No. 1, he will have the insurance of having a solid wall in front of him and two returning starters at wide-receiver to work with. The OL should also pave the way for Mario Fannin and Onterio McCalebb as the two primary running backs. Michael Dyer will have the luxury of not having a brick-load of responsibility placed on his shoulders, allowing the coaching staff to slowly work him into the offense.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=5934152
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

Re: StatTiger's OLine Analysis
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »

Yeah it's amazing what can be accomplished with the mere threat of "the chop block" in ones arsenal and having a penchant for using it. Biting, gouging of eyes, leg whips, pinching and the garden variety knee drops are also useful tools for the big fellas up front, holding being expected of course.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »

Yeah it's amazing what can be accomplished with the mere threat of "the chop block" in ones arsenal and having a penchant for using it. Biting, gouging of eyes, leg whips, pinching and the garden variety knee drops are also useful tools for the big fellas up front, holding being expected of course.

And then there's the "having a coach who gives a crap".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:04 PM »
There seemed to be some "resting on ones laurels" during the "decline".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:18:44 PM »
There seemed to be some "resting on ones laurels" during the "decline".

That - and Nall had become a total jackass of a person to be around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
A follow up post by StatTiger in that same thread:

* Auburn's offense has gone "3 & out" 30% of the time from 1993-2009. The 2009 offense was 26.3%, 6th best since 1993.

* Auburn's offense scored a TD 24.4% of the time from 1993-2009. The 2009 offense scored a TD 27.9% of the time, also 6th best since 1993.

* Auburn's offense has a scoring pct of 79.7% in the redzone from 1992-2009. The 2009 offense scored 95.0% of the time inside the redzone, No. 1 since 1992.

The emphasis is my own.  These surprised me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:11:20 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 08:59:31 PM »
Thanks for providing the info. I think it reasonable to expect little drop-off if any in the coming season if we achieve more from the receivers while maintaining a similar run production overall. Those numbers could improve simply by familiarity alone and more options.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions