Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Meanwhile, in UAB/T news...

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Meanwhile, in UAB/T news...
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
I've never seen a supposed "parent program" so threatened by one of it's "satellite programs".

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/05/scarbinsky_knoxs_family_upset.html

Scarbinsky: Knox's family upset over restrictions Alabama placed on his transfer
By Kevin Scarbinsky -- The Birmingham News
May 04, 2010, 11:20PM

It was reported last week that Justin Knox wants to transfer from Alabama to play his final season of college basketball elsewhere.

That’s not the end of the story.

Darien Knox, Justin’s uncle, told The Birmingham News that Alabama will allow the trans­fer but has put three restrictions on it.

The elder Knox also provided The News a copy of the conditional release.

The restrictions say that Alabama will not release the Tuscaloosa native to transfer to:

Another school in the SEC.

A school on Alabama’s 2010-11 schedule.

Another school in the University of Alabama System.

Those restrictions have angered the Knox family and caused them to file an appeal with the university to remove the restrictions.

"Personally, I love Alabama," Darien Knox said. "But this bull they’re putting my nephew through, it’s unnecessary. The kid doesn’t deserve that."

Particularly, he said, because Justin Knox plans to leave Alabama this summer after earning his undergraduate degree in just three years. He plans to play next season at another school as a graduate student.

Darien Knox said the family understands the restrictions against transferring to schools on the schedule, though the schedule isn’t complete, and to schools in the league, since Ala­bama has to play them once or twice in the regular season, depending on division.

It’s the last restriction, which prohibits the 6-foot-9, 240-pound post player from transfer­ring to a school within the University of Alabama System, that has bothered the family the most.

In fact, that condition means Knox can’t play at UAB or UAH.

In truth, it means he can’t play at UAB.

UAH is a Division II school. Darien Knox said 27 schools have inquired about his nephew as a possible transfer. Those schools include Ole Miss, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, South Alabama, Western Kentucky and Oklahoma,

Those are all, like Alabama and UAB, Division I schools.

"We have a major problem with that (stipulation) because," Darien Knox said, "if I’m not mistaken, I believe Justin was leaning toward UAB."

Why would Alabama object to Knox going to UAB? UAB is not in the SEC and is not on Alabama’s schedule. The schools have played just once, when UAB beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa in the 1993 NIT.

So Knox couldn’t come back with the Blazers to beat the Tide. All he could do would be to contribute to the Blazers in a way he hasn’t contributed to the Tide.

That might cause people to question why he didn’t make a bigger impact at Alabama, where he averaged 6.3 points and 3.7 rebounds in 19.8 minutes a game last season, when he played in all 32 games and started 17.

The News asked to speak to Alabama basketball coach Anthony Grant, Athletics Director Mal Moore or executive AD Dave Hart to discuss the situation.

None of them was made available.

Instead, Alabama provided this statement from Moore: "Justin requested to be released from his scholarship, and we granted a conditional release. We remain committed to assisting him in his effort to complete the requirements for a bachelor’s degree by the end of the summer term."

Alabama’s release letter to Knox, dated April 30, confirms that the school will pay his tuition for summer sessions I and II, as well as "books and fees associated with your required classes," and allow him "access to tutors and services by the Academic Support Services Department at Bryant Hall."

The letter also tells Knox that, during the summer sessions, "you will not have access to athletic facilities but are free to use the REC center per your student Action Card."

In addition, the letter says, the university "will require that you move from your current dorm room and relocate to another residence where you will not be living with current bas­ketball student-athletes."

As for the UAB restriction, Darien Knox said Alabama has told the family that "the University of Alabama System has a rule or agreement in place that no student-athlete will transfer within the system."

It does? That would be news to Mykal Riley.

He signed with UAB and coach Mike Anderson in the fall of 2005. When Anderson left for Missouri the next spring, Riley asked for his release, and UAB granted it.

Riley then signed with Alabama and played two years there.

There’s a more recent example. Alabama has granted a release to women’s basketball player Jocelyn Shaw, who’s in the process right now of transferring to UAB.

"They’re contradicting themselves," Darien Knox said. "We don’t see why Justin has to jump through all these hoops. He’s been an ambassador for the Alabama basketball program, especially in the classroom," where Knox was the 2009 SEC men’s basketball scholar-athlete of the year.

"All we want is for Justin to get his full release from the University of Alabama so he can choose a school that can put him in the best situation academically and athletically."

Knox’s uncle offered a more personal reason why his nephew wants to stay close to home. He said Justin Knox’s daughter and fiancee live in Tuscaloosa.

Darien Knox said the family tried to resolve this dispute in private but decided to go public because "we don’t have a choice. We’ve got to bring some attention to what’s going on.

"It doesn’t make sense, man. It doesn’t make sense."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Meanwhile, in UAB/T news...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:23:41 PM »
http://blog.al.com/josh-bean/2010/05/former_leflore_hoopster_jocelyn_shaw_leaves_alabama_for_uab.html

Former LeFlore hoopster Jocelyn Shaw leaves Alabama for UAB
By Josh Bean
May 05, 2010, 1:52PM

MOBILE, Ala. Former LeFlore basketball star Jocelyn Shaw is leaving the Alabama basketball program and plans to transfer to UAB, where she will be eligible to compete beginning in 2011-12.

UAB announced the transfer today. Shaw will have three years of eligibility remaining.

Shaw spent one season with the Crimson Tide, appearing in three games. At LeFlore, the Lady Rattlers to the Class 5A state championship as a senior and was named the 5A Alabama MVP after averaging 18 points and 12 rebounds a game. The 6-foot forward also participated in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star game and the Alabama North-South All-Star game.

Obviously the News ran this story by mistake.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Meanwhile, in UAB/T news...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
I don't understand.  They didn't want him anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."