Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

More on Smoking in California...

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
More on Smoking in California...
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »
The smoke-NAZIs are furious...  And YES, I said it!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/03/BA1Q1D8VVL.DTL&tsp=1

Schwarzenegger vetoes smoking ban at parks
Marisa Lagos, Chronicle Sacramento Bureau

Monday, May 3, 2010

(05-03) 17:43 PDT Sacramento -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill today that would have prohibited smoking at nearly all state beaches and parks, saying the law would have been too intrusive and would not have done much to curb litter on California's shoreline.

The groundbreaking legislation would have created the nation's most far-reaching smoking ban in a state that already restricts people from lighting up in cars with children, restaurants and bars. State Sen. Jenny Oropeza, D-Long Beach, who authored the bill, said Schwarzenegger's veto stands in "stark contrast to what is already being done at more than 100 local cities and counties statewide," including smoking bans at beaches and parks controlled by local jurisdictions. Oropeza and other supporters said the bill was necessary to cut down on litter, second-hand smoke and forest fires at the 278 parks and 64 beaches owned by the state.

"I'm sorry the governor did not agree with this widely supported effort to increase public awareness about the environmental threats carelessly tossed cigarettes are doing to our marine life and to the great outdoors," Oropeza said in a written statement.

But Schwarzenegger - whose cigar habit is well known - wrote in his one-page veto message that Senate Bill 4 was an "improper intrusion of government into people's lives." Noting that he has supported other smoking bans, the governor nonetheless said that Oropeza's bill "crosses an important threshold between state power and command and local decision making.

"There is something inherently uncomfortable about the idea of the state encroaching in such a broad manner on the people of California," Schwarzenegger wrote. "With respect to marine debris, I understand the challenge cigarette butts cause to our beaches and marine life. But, this bill applies the ban solely to those beaches and parks owned and operated by the state of California ... As we have seen, marine debris and litter know no boundaries."

Schwarzenegger also noted that the state Department of Parks and Recreation has some discretion to ban smoking in parks and beaches under certain circumstances, such as when fire hazards exist.

The bill, which was first introduced as a broader measure in 2006, would have imposed a $100 fine on people who violated the ban. After changes made during the legislative process last year, it exempted all state-owned campsites and parking lots as well as a vehicle recreation area in San Luis Obispo County, and could only have been enforced in areas where signs were posted advertising the ban.

E-mail Marisa Lagos at mlagos@sfchronicle.com. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: More on Smoking in California...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »
I am for any smoking ban in public.You lose your right to smoke when I lose my right not to have to breath it in against my will.  Plus - if Swartzendumbass did it, we should probably be against it. He's terrible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:52:03 AM »
Good for the Gov, IMO.   :clap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GarMan

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:15:36 AM »
I am for any smoking ban in public.You lose your right to smoke when I lose my right not to have to breath it in against my will.  Plus - if Swartzendumbass did it, we should probably be against it. He's terrible. 

Here we go...  I think I agreed with 90+% of your posts in the other threads, but I don't see much opportunity for any of that alleged "back-patting" on this one. 

Nobody is forcing you to breath in anything.  Is a smoker holding you down and blowing it in your face?  Are you tied up in a room with a group of smokers?  Do you have the same opinion of diesel exhaust?  What about excessive perfume or cologne?  How are you losing your "right" when you're perfectly capable of moving away from the situation?  What entitles you to anything when you're out in public?

Next, what's a public place where smoking should be banned?  Is it my backyard?  My front yard?  My driveway?  What about when I'm in my car smoking with the window down?  What about the street, sidewalks, parks and beaches? 

Personally, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes, and I actually experience a bit of an asthmatic/allergic reaction when I'm around too much of it.  But, I smoke cigars, lots of them...  I don't have a problem with natural tobacco, but cigarettes are rough on me.  It's not my place to impose my beliefs, wants or desires on others.  Similarly, I think that most smokers should be courteous enough to be aware when their smoke is bothering another, but when everyone is outside, it’s a significant stretch to start calling for smoke bans. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
Here we go...  I think I agreed with 90+% of your posts in the other threads, but I don't see much opportunity for any of that alleged "back-patting" on this one. 

Nobody is forcing you to breath in anything.  Is a smoker holding you down and blowing it in your face?  Are you tied up in a room with a group of smokers?  Do you have the same opinion of diesel exhaust?  What about excessive perfume or cologne?  How are you losing your "right" when you're perfectly capable of moving away from the situation?  What entitles you to anything when you're out in public?

Next, what's a public place where smoking should be banned?  Is it my backyard?  My front yard?  My driveway?  What about when I'm in my car smoking with the window down?  What about the street, sidewalks, parks and beaches? 

Personally, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes, and I actually experience a bit of an asthmatic/allergic reaction when I'm around too much of it.  But, I smoke cigars, lots of them...  I don't have a problem with natural tobacco, but cigarettes are rough on me.  It's not my place to impose my beliefs, wants or desires on others.  Similarly, I think that most smokers should be courteous enough to be aware when their smoke is bothering another, but when everyone is outside, it’s a significant stretch to start calling for smoke bans. 

I understand what you are saying, but if I am sitting on a park bench in the public place, and someone sits down next to me, and lights up, why should I have move just to avoid the smoke. Most smokers are not courteous at all. Go out to any street and walk 100 yards in any direction, count how many butts you see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
I am for any smoking ban in public.You lose your right to smoke when I lose my right not to have to breath it in against my will.  Plus - if Swartzendumbass did it, we should probably be against it. He's terrible.

Personally, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes, and I actually experience a bit of an asthmatic/allergic reaction when I'm around too much of it.  But, I smoke cigars, lots of them...  I don't have a problem with natural tobacco, but cigarettes are rough on me.
Sounds like you're the Beta-male.

But in all seriousness, I'm with you on this one.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:59:35 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:03:19 PM »
Here we go...  I think I agreed with 90+% of your posts in the other threads, but I don't see much opportunity for any of that alleged "back-patting" on this one.  

Nobody is forcing you to breath in anything.  Is a smoker holding you down and blowing it in your face?  Are you tied up in a room with a group of smokers?  Do you have the same opinion of diesel exhaust?  What about excessive perfume or cologne?  How are you losing your "right" when you're perfectly capable of moving away from the situation?  What entitles you to anything when you're out in public?

Next, what's a public place where smoking should be banned?  Is it my backyard?  My front yard?  My driveway?  What about when I'm in my car smoking with the window down?  What about the street, sidewalks, parks and beaches?  

Personally, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes, and I actually experience a bit of an asthmatic/allergic reaction when I'm around too much of it.  But, I smoke cigars, lots of them...  I don't have a problem with natural tobacco, but cigarettes are rough on me.  It's not my place to impose my beliefs, wants or desires on others.  Similarly, I think that most smokers should be courteous enough to be aware when their smoke is bothering another, but when everyone is outside, it’s a significant stretch to start calling for smoke bans.  

AWK, Chad - are you watching the good ole boy club here? Back patting?  :poke:

Seriously though - if I am out in public (not private property) - a park, a restaurant, etc I have no choice but to breathe in what is there. I cant tell you how many times I have been in a restaurant before and been forced to breathe in that crap against my will. Smokers are not usually the most courteous bastards in the world. Even at Jordan Hare, that little area they have - if I go down to get a drink in line on the concourse, I'm pretty much forced to breathe it in - unless I want to sit in my seat the entire friggin time. Smoke travels! Sure - I can go home and avoid it all. But then who is dictating the public places?  The smokers - and Ive essentially lost any privilege of being able to enjoy a public place without smoke.

Your backyard and your driveway are your property - you can do as you wish. My point is that if someone else is being subjected to that filth against their will in public, the smoker has lost that right. That applies to any right.  If your gonna blow smoke around in public, people in the vicinity have a right NOT to breathe it in.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:07:12 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »
:thumsup:

The language filter "phuked" up the url name.

I recommend turning it off anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
Sounds like you're the Beta-male.

But in all seriousness, I'm with you on this one. 

:fu:

Sweetheart, your man-card was revoked years ago.  Oh...  Wait a minute...  That may just mean that you're a better judge of beta-male character than me.   

I can't control my health situation, especially those items that are genetic. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
:fu:

Sweetheart, your man-card was revoked years ago.  Oh...  Wait a minute...  That may just mean that you're a better judge of beta-male character than me.   

I can't control my health situation, especially those items that are genetic. 

Whole lot of Beta-Male'ing going on here.

Why don't you guys just hug and end it....mmmmkkkk??  Alrighty then.

What exactly does "GarMan" mean?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »
I smoke, but I understand where the complaints come from.  If I am in a restaurant or around a large group of people I will walk away/out to smoke. 

Also, I don't mind having to go outside of a bar to smoke. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 03:54:47 PM »
I smoke, but I understand where the complaints come from.  If I am in a restaurant or around a large group of people I will walk away/out to smoke. 

Also, I don't mind having to go outside of a bar to smoke. 

Good man. Only if all smokers had this mentality.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
I only smoke AWK's cigs
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »
I only smoke AWK's cigs
Fact.  Shark week.  But it's all good because a beer without a cigarette just seems wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

chinook

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
AWK, Chad - are you watching the good ole boy club here? Back patting?  :poke:

I felt like I had been molested...  

Seriously though - if I am out in public (not private property) - a park, a restaurant, etc I have no choice but to breathe in what is there. I cant tell you how many times I have been in a restaurant before and been forced to breathe in that crap against my will. Smokers are not usually the most courteous bastards in the world. Even at Jordan Hare, that little area they have - if I go down to get a drink in line on the concourse, I'm pretty much forced to breathe it in - unless I want to sit in my seat the entire friggin time. Smoke travels! Sure - I can go home and avoid it all. But then who is dictating the public places?  The smokers - and Ive essentially lost any privilege of being able to enjoy a public place without smoke.  

Most of those "public" places are not really public.  It's not the government's place to impose this type of control over the use of that property.  If a particular restaurant or bar allows smoking and you find it offensive, go somewhere else that doesn't allow smoking.  Eventually, when enough people adopt your position, the owners will change their internal policies.  As an example, most restaurants in the area where I live in Georgia were non-smoking long before the state ever passed a silly smoking ban.

Your backyard and your driveway are your property - you can do as you wish. My point is that if someone else is being subjected to that filth against their will in public, the smoker has lost that right. That applies to any right.  If your gonna blow smoke around in public, people in the vicinity have a right NOT to breathe it in.  

Like I said, define "public" very carefully.  If you allow the government to mandate non-smoking policies in privately owned restaurants, bars and other establishments, when do you think they'll start pushing into other private property?  Take your home, for instance.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
Nope, Virginia Slims.

Thsi^  They're women's cigarettes and they have little boobies on them you can play with while you smoke..but not in public...nudity offends some people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GarMan

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
Fact.  PRIDE week.  But it's all good because a cock without a cigarette just seems wrong.

FTFY...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions