Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bammer Excuse #4,325: Teams Have Bye Weeks Before Playing Them

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Bammer Excuse #4,325: Teams Have Bye Weeks Before Playing Them
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »
It's cool!  I know most fans don't give a rip about real Xs and Os, or at least not as much as I do.  Just enjoying the opportunity to disucuss them. 

No Huddle, I get it with you and zone blocking.  I like it because it's simple and easy for the O Line to understand, and it deals well with stunting defenses.  But not everyone makes a living with it. 

I have, in fact, read Malzahn's book.  Not a mention of Zone in it.  All Blast, Gap, Veer, and Midline Option runs.   My personal preference is big, athletic, pulling linemen.  I really love that Power  with the backside G getting up a head of steam on his pull. 

Not to sway you from the X's and O's talk...but your personal preference is big, athletic pulling linemen?

That would prbably be mine too if I swung that way.  You know...IF I did.  Which I don't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

boartitz

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2010, 04:02:44 PM »
I've heard the book is a good read.
Houston Nutt just looked at the pictures.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »

Like Franklin at Auburn, you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence that Malzahn was running Malzahn's offense at Ark.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »

Chapter 5:  The Wildcat
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
Chapter 5:  The Wildcat

No mention at all of "The Wildcat" in the book. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
Like Franklin at Auburn, you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence that Malzahn was running Malzahn's offense at Ark.

I was the Arky/AU game when Malzahn was OC and Mitch Mudstain was at the helm.  What did Mudstain throw, 6...8 passes the whole game.  That was anything but Malzahns O.  It was McFadden left and Jones right.  Not that this was a bad thing, mind you.  But I saw no sign that remotely resembled Corch M's offense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 03:32:51 PM »
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/06/southeastern_conference_still.html

Southeastern Conference still working on adjustments to Alabama's lineup of open-date opponents
By Tommy Hicks
June 03, 2010, 7:45AM

DESTIN, Fla. -- The 2010 college football season begins in fewer than 100 days, yet there may still be changes to Alabama's schedule.

Alabama athletics director Mal Moore said Wednesday the SEC is at work in hopes of producing some changes to the Crimson Tide's current schedule, which features six league opponents -- Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and South Carolina -- that have open dates the week before playing Alabama.

"It is still being discussed," Moore said, adding Alabama officials are looking for "any help."

As to when any possible changes may take place, Moore said, "That still hasn't been completely decided. Hopefully, soon. ... The SEC, I think, we've tried every way to make some things work and we still have a chance on one or possibly two (games), but that will have to happen soon. We're just waiting."

Mark Womack, the SEC's executive associate commissioner, said there is no set timetable for changes to Alabama's schedule.

"You don't want to set a date -- the sooner, the better -- but you want to make sure that we're doing everything we possibly can to find a solution to that issue," he said.

Womack said the issue is "an unintended consequence," adding, "It's a similar (league) schedule in nature that has been there since the early 2000s. Then it depends on where people move non-conference games around that may have not been open dates that all of a sudden become open dates."

In 2008, Tennessee's schedule featured four opponents -- each Eastern Division foe except Vanderbilt -- that had open dates before playing the Vols. Tennessee was 1-3 in those games.

The Alabama scheduling issue comes as the SEC is working to put together the schedule of league games beginning with the 2012 season and continuing through the 2021 season.

"Scheduling is always very difficult," Womack said. "It's a long process and will certainly involve our athletic directors before we reach any kind of final decision."

The upcoming league schedules will include a number of variables and considerations, according to former Mississippi State AD Larry Templeton, who has been working with Womack the past two months on criteria and options for the 2012 through '21 schedules.

"We've done some drafts that we're going to let the ADs look at and after we've done those drafts, we want to re-talk about the parameters in which we've used in football scheduling," Templeton said. "At some point this week, we want to sit down with the ADs and say, 'Is this still a criteria, such as the number of away games that you play in a row? How do we want to handle non-conference scheduling? How do we want to handle open dates before arch-rival games?' Things of that nature.

"What we're hoping to do is come away with the ability to finish scheduling very quickly for 2012 to 2021."

Templeton said the approach to scheduling has been a simple one: "The whole motive is to get as much competitive balance for all 12 schools."

"I think what I would tell my fellow ADs after sitting on the other side of the table now is that there are some years you're going to be pleased and some years when you're not going to be pleased, and a lot of that is determined by who rotates on and who rotates off (the schedule) and who you perceive as a strong football team this year, not taking into consideration who that might be in 2021."

One of the issues the ADs have to address, Templeton said, is if the dates for some traditional rivalry games are "sacred" and thus can't be changed. He said he felt the end-of-the-season rivalries, some of which involve games against non-conference rivals, won't be changed. But that may not be the case for all games.

Translation: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Seriously, this is the pussiest shit I've ever seen from a defending National Champion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »

Seriously, this is the pussiest shit I've ever seen from a defending National Champion.

No doubt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2010, 07:22:25 PM »
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/06/southeastern_conference_still.html

Translation: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

:thumsup:That's funny as hell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:37 AM »
It's cool!  I know most fans don't give a rip about real Xs and Os, or at least not as much as I do.  Just enjoying the opportunity to disucuss them. 

No Huddle, I get it with you and zone blocking.  I like it because it's simple and easy for the O Line to understand, and it deals well with stunting defenses.  But not everyone makes a living with it. 

I have, in fact, read Malzahn's book.  Not a mention of Zone in it.  All Blast, Gap, Veer, and Midline Option runs.   My personal preference is big, athletic, pulling linemen.  I really love that Power  with the backside G getting up a head of steam on his pull. 

Love all blast, gap, I played QB trying to run the veer reversing out, HATED IT! I could not read the DE but fronting out worked better. Now the midline is nice to run but I like it a change of pace. I really love that Power  with the backside G getting up a head of steam on his pull. That is where it is at. I need to read Gus' book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
Back to topic...but wasn't it Alabama that wanted to play Auburn the week of Thanksgiving because it "wasn't fair"? If I remember correctly, Auburn wanted to play UGA and then Alabama back to back, before Thanksgiving, and Alabama petitioned the SEC to have them move it for some reason. Now because we didn't want to fuck up a long standing tradition of playing UGA and Alabama the last two game by adding a cupcake...this is somehow Auburn's fault? Bullshit. We were fine playing UGA and Alabama back to back...

If I remember correctly from several years ago...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2010, 11:40:55 AM »
Back to topic...but wasn't it Alabama that wanted to play Auburn the week of Thanksgiving because it "wasn't fair"? If I remember correctly, Auburn wanted to play UGA and then Alabama back to back, before Thanksgiving, and Alabama petitioned the SEC to have them move it for some reason. Now because we didn't want to fuck up a long standing tradition of playing UGA and Alabama the last two game by adding a cupcake...this is somehow Auburn's fault? Bullshit. We were fine playing UGA and Alabama back to back...

If I remember correctly from several years ago...

^^^This^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Token

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2010, 11:57:41 AM »
Although I'm sure I will regret getting in this thread, the Iron Bowl was moved because FLORIDA said it wasn't fair for some SEC teams to have off the week before the SEC championship game.  The SEC agreed and changed the schedule so that every SEC team plays their last game the week before the championship. 

I can't find anything that mentions Florida specifically, but I remember watching an interview with Jeremy Foley bitching about the unfairness of their FSU game being played the week before the Championship game.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2009-04-10-iron-bowl-date_N.htm

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
Although I'm sure I will regret getting in this thread, the Iron Bowl was moved because FLORIDA said it wasn't fair for some SEC teams to have off the week before the SEC championship game.  The SEC agreed and changed the schedule so that every SEC team plays their last game the week before the championship. 

I can't find anything that mentions Florida specifically, but I remember watching an interview with Jeremy Foley bitching about the unfairness of their FSU game being played the week before the Championship game.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2009-04-10-iron-bowl-date_N.htm

You're gonna' regret you ever set foot in this thread.  You just wait.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »

I don't remember how it went down exactly, but I could have sworn Shula and Alabama were involved in bitching about the shit too...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2010, 12:15:34 PM »
I don't remember how it went down exactly, but I could have sworn Shula and Alabama were involved in bitching about the shit too...

Mal Moore was at the front of the line because they had to play LSU the week prior to playing Auburn.  Foley was not far behind though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
Mal Moore was at the front of the line because they had to play LSU the week prior to playing Auburn.  Foley was not far behind though.

That's right. I think Mal Moore was the one that started the bullshit...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2010, 12:52:50 PM »
That's right. I think Mal Moore was the one that started the bullshit...

Can't blame Mal for the general whining and crying nature of the bammer beast.  If they had it their way, they'd simply be annointed perinnial National Champions from here on out without need to actually compete.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »
Mal likely was bitching about playing LSU and Auburn in consecutive weeks, but I doubt he was asking for the Auburn game to be pushed back a week.  More than likely he was trying to get the LSU game moved up ahead of MSU.  Why would he want the game to move up and erase any advantage Alabama had before the SECCG?  Aside from the fact that Shula wasn't going to make the SECCG anyway?

Of course, with Mal Moore, I guess anything is plausible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2010, 01:29:09 PM »
You're gonna' regret you ever set foot in this thread.  You just wait.

I did.  At 10:57:42.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions