Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Oil Slick Getting Real Serious

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Oil Slick Getting Real Serious
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »
Read the article that I posted.  I won't believe it until there's real proof.  The fishing reports on just about all of the forums are still coming in strong for the entire Gulf.  I just don't buy into this doom-and-gloom politics.  I have no doubts that this is a bad thing, but until we see something tangible, I'm not going to whine about it.  Eleven men died on that platform, but the way the media is reporting it, you’d think the greater tragedy is the 13 birds and two turtles that have been found dead over the last several weeks. 

True.

But what kills me here is that a company with the brains and resources such as BP CANNOT stop this leak!! They look like TOTAL buffoons. Heyward is a MORON. Shooting old tires and golf balls into a hole? ARE YOU FUGGIN KIDDIN ME??  Good grief. Incompetence I tell ya. They look like a govt agency out there handling this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
True.

But what kills me here is that a company with the brains and resources such as BP CANNOT stop this leak!! They look like TOTAL buffoons. Heyward is a MORON. Shooting old tires and golf balls into a hole? ARE YOU FUGGIN KIDDIN ME??  Good grief. Incompetence I tell ya. They look like a govt agency out there handling this.

Agreed.  And why is it left solely up to BP to get this thing stopped.  We should have used every resource possible, called in every favor owed...whatever.  Hey Russia, got any ideas?  Hey Exxon...how would you handle this?  Bearing Sea Crab Fishermen...help out here.  We sit idly by while BP fucks itself and the Guld right in the ass.  No one else knows how to get this mess stopped?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »
No one is sitting back sipping tea waiting to see what BP does. Every oil company out there has people on this thinking up ideas to stop this. This is not a BP disaster. This is now an oil industry disaster. I guarantee you that ideas are being floated around. The problem is that no one knows how to stop it. This was not supposed to happen and had not been planned for by ANY oil company or government.The people drilling are using the latest technology and safety procedures. A series of events caused this. The industry thought it had things in place to stop problems at each level. But the failure of these precautions in a series is unprecedented. I promise if you have a novel idea, they would listen to it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:35:52 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
No one is sitting back sipping tea waiting to see what BP does. Every oil company out there has people on this thinking up ideas to stop this. This is not a BP disaster. This is now an oil industry disaster. I guarantee you that ideas are being floated around. The problem is that no one knows how to stop it. This was not supposed to happen and had not been planned for by ANY oil company or government.The people drilling are using the latest technology and safety procedures. A series of events caused this. The industry thought it had things in place to stop problems at each level. But the failure of these precautions in a series is unprecedented. I promise if you have a novel idea, they would listen to it.
THIS.  

While I agree as a risk management person that you should always have a plan for disaster, there is no way to plan adequately for a one in a bajillion chance event.  This type of chain reaction disaster is unprecedented.  And it could have happened to ANY Major Oil Company and the outcome would be the same right now.  NO ONE knows how to stop a leak at this depth because the odds of it happeneing are beyond astronomical.  This is the asteroid hurtling toward Earth scenario - do you think the All Powerful Obama has a contingency plan for that?  Doubtful - there are ideas that we might try and things that we "think" might work, but truth is, they might NOT work - who knows?  And how do you plan for the unknown?  Right now, BP - a British company, remember, and not "technically" at war with Islam - would even take help from Iran if offered.  But no one has a plan, and it would not be in anyone's best interests to sit on any ideas, as the increased regulations that will come out of this disaster will affect them ALL.  And I also guarantee you that every oilfield service company geek with an engineering degree is frantically trying to gin up some miracle fix so he and his company can be the hero riding to the rescue.  EVERYONE wants to be the one who saves the day here.  Imagine the marketing potential of that!!

The whole "golfballs" thing is actually a sound idea given the density of a golfball.  Gotta remember about the extreme pressure at depth.  A golfball, with the dimples and the dense core, won't crush like other items would.  If they can slow the flow, they can possibly cement it shut.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:27:39 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 05:52:03 PM »
I understand that it's a situation where most likely, they're taking all kinds of advice.  It's just that every headline, every single day says BP tries this...BP tries that...BP... and I'm thinking, where's the fucking cavalry?  I also understand that it's the 1 in a million scenario...as far as it ever happening.  But you can't tell me that as long as this has been going on...as many jeenyus enjineers that work with these companies...no one has ever considered the possibility of....

We go to ocean floor and drill hole in ocean floor to get to oil.  We insert pipes into ocean floor to suck out oil.  What we do if pipe break?   Mmmmm...no worry...never happen...hope.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 06:11:04 PM »
It's already been stated that Trans-Ocean and BP neglected their duties to repair the BOP and will suffer the consequences. The people who died are dead, but it's the living that must deal with this tragedy. Their families and the families of everyone else has to deal with this shit. Hell, I was thinking of moving to Naples, FL but am rethinking that decision. Oh, and TigerWrench, Iran did offer but was ignored. It's fucked up that's all there is to it. Even if it doesn't wash up on the shores or wetlands, the dispersant they used alone will screw up the animal and human life for a long time. I know I'm still pissed and I think that our government's position here should be Libertarian by seizing all assets of everyone involved if they don't volunteer them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »
It's already been stated that Trans-Ocean and BP neglected their duties to repair the BOP and will suffer the consequences.

They got permission from the MMS - meaning the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT - to deviate from the normal inspection and repair protocols.  MMS signed off on that.  It was not deliberate, negligent disregard.  They applied for and got permission.  That is what they are required to do - that is ALL they are required to do.  The biggest change that will come out of all of this is a reorg of the MMS.  MMS has oversight of the mineral leases, but they are also responsible for managing the royalties received by the govt from the lease operators.  Kind of a conflict of interest.  There is already talk of separating MMS into individual compliance and a leasing sections.

Look, I am not on BP's side but at the same time, this was an incomprehensible situation.  My asteroid heading for earth scenario is about as close to a comparison as you could get.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »
**sigh**

BF, you DO realize that your record of past posting leaves you with ZERO credibility on this board, especially with me, ESPECIALLY because in this case, I know completely what the fuck I am talking about?

There is no way to compare anything that happened in the GOM last month to ANYTHING that has happened in the oil industry EVER.  Deep water drilling on this scale is a new thing.  NO WAY to compare these apples to any oranges that ever existed???

Your conspiracy theories and tinfoil hat wearing comments are worth even less in this instance that they were on Gheynation many years ago. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 07:40:53 AM »
**sigh**

BF, you DO realize that your record of past posting leaves you with ZERO credibility on this board, especially with me, ESPECIALLY because in this case, I know completely what the fuck I am talking about?

There is no way to compare anything that happened in the GOM last month to ANYTHING that has happened in the oil industry EVER.  Deep water drilling on this scale is a new thing.  NO WAY to compare these apples to any oranges that ever existed???

Your conspiracy theories and tinfoil hat wearing comments are worth even less in this instance that they were on Gheynation many years ago.  

At this point it's not my credibility in question, but that of our government and an entire industry. Did you see 60 minutes the other night?

My post wasn't meant as an attack on your knowledge of the industry at all. It was posted to bring to light that the ineptitude we all know exists within our own government and the influence that Big Oil has on government authority.  I realize you know a lot more than the average person, and myself, so please don't take it as a jab at you specifically. And, yes I do believe in conspiracies. There may be something going on here that no one is aware of, or maybe not. My point of view comes from a stand point that someone(s) is always trying to hide something because that is usually the case.

So in all fairness, at this point we should define conspiracy:

1. a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act
2. a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot)
3. a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose
4. a civil conspiracy or collusion is an agreement between two or more parties to deprive a third party of legal rights or deceive a third party to obtain an illegal objective.

Could deception or lying to the public be considered a conspiracy? YES.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:56:32 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
At this point it's not my credibility in question, but that of our government and an entire industry. Did you see 60 minutes the other night?

My post wasn't meant as an attack on your knowledge of the industry at all. It was posted to bring to light that the ineptitude we all know exists within our own government and the influence that Big Oil has on government authority.  I realize you know a lot more than the average person, and myself, so please don't take it as a jab at you specifically. And, yes I do believe in conspiracies. There may be something going on here that no one is aware of, or maybe not. My point of view comes from a stand point that someone(s) is always trying to hide something because that is usually the case.

So in all fairness, at this point we should define conspiracy:

1. a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act
2. a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot)
3. a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose
4. a civil conspiracy or collusion is an agreement between two or more parties to deprive a third party of legal rights or deceive a third party to obtain an illegal objective.

Could deception or lying to the public be considered a conspiracy? YES. 

Moonbat ALERT

Just a quick observation...  It was that same government under the mischievous influence of those diabolical BIG BAD OIL companies that likely forced them to put this rig so far out in 5,000 feet of water in the first place.  At half that distance and/or at half that depth, the probability of anything like this occurring would have been substantially less.  Congratulations to all parties involved...  While the government is on their witch-hunt scapegoating everyone else in this mess, I wonder if they'll ever take any of the responsibility for this disaster. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
Moonbat ALERT

Just a quick observation...  It was that same government under the mischievous influence of those diabolical BIG BAD OIL companies that likely forced them to put this rig so far out in 5,000 feet of water in the first place.  At half that distance and/or at half that depth, the probability of anything like this occurring would have been substantially less.  Congratulations to all parties involved...  While the government is on their witch-hunt scapegoating everyone else in this mess, I wonder if they'll ever take any of the responsibility for this disaster. 

We all know the government can do no wrong and there are no conspiracies. The government has a website dedicated to debunking conspiracy theories. If there are none, then why would the government use taxpayer dollars to fund misinformation campaign against them? There have been 33 proven conspiracies so far that I know of. The rest are either false or are very well covered up.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »
We all know the government can do no wrong and there are no conspiracies. The government has a website dedicated to debunking conspiracy theories. If there are none, then why would the government use taxpayer dollars to fund misinformation campaign against them? There have been 33 proven conspiracies so far that I know of. The rest are either false or are very well covered up.

I should introduce you to the nice lady who calls on a weekly basis that reports her neighbor shooting electricity through her body from across the street, the government trying to break into her house, and the helicopters that shoot laser beams into her house while shouting her name over a loud speaker.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2010, 05:42:54 PM »
I should introduce you to the nice lady who calls on a weekly basis that reports her neighbor shooting electricity through her body from across the street, the government trying to break into her house, and the helicopters that shoot laser beams into her house while shouting her name over a loud speaker.  

GFY. Some here probably either work for the government or some entity that deals directly with the government so I would expect nothing less.

GRAND ISLE, La. - Jefferson Parish Emergency managers say they have commandeered all of BP's hired boats in Grand Isle.

A representative for Jefferson Parish Emergency chief Deano Bonano said they requested immediate action after oil moved into the marsh passes and onto the beaches in Grand Isle.

He said more than 40 boats were sitting idle while he watched the oil rush into the passes.

At around 5:30 p.m., Jefferson Councilman Chris Roberts confirmed the boats have been commandeered by JP emergency managers.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/JP-officials-commandeer-BPs-hired-boats-in-Grand-Isle-94668304.html

Inept government employees need to take a cut as do the inept CEOs of Big Oil.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/america-faces-a-big--fat-greek-style-bankruptcy-94686509.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:47:54 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
GFY. Some here probably either work for the government or some entity that deals directly with the government so I would expect nothing less.

I totally just shot electricity through you when you hit "Quote". See you tonight. Same time, same landing zone?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
Whatever. Compare and contrast. Since the word conspiracy is associated with being a nut job, let's just replace it with the word collusion. They mean the same damn thing. Even defense contractors admit they are in collusion with the Federal Government. And so are the oil companies with respect to safety and regulations. We now see our Chernobyl.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:39:28 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
I have been busier than a one armed paper hanger lately - seems like now EVERYONE is demanding mega-pollution indemnity in all their contracts.  

Because I am incredibly far-sighted and feel like it is my job to always think of the worst case scenario, all of my contracts with my customers already have a protection for my company for catastrophic pollution and related fines and penalties - the customer eats it all, including costs of control and removal.  It was easy to get before because "nothing ever happens...".  Now?  A duel to the death.  

And on behalf of my operating entity (we have one subsidiary that is a producer, like BP) I am being a hardnosed bitch to my own subcontractors who expect me to go back and just give them blanket protection in their pre-existing contracts - should have thought of that back in the day, Skippy.  I am not giving you shit now.

Power is a helluva drug.
Just don't yall fuck up my Ouachita river with a storage tank collapse.
May not be too bad to eat some crappie that are already salted. :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:13:16 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2010, 07:18:52 AM »
Moonbat ALERT

Q: Who is the happiest that this is going on?

A: Toyota

from one witch hunt to the next.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."