Old South Parade

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
Old South Parade
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
University of Alabama's Kappa Alpha fraternity calls off Old South parade
By The Associated Press
April 22, 2010, 10:12AM

TUSCALOOSA -- The president of the University of Alabama's Kappa Alpha chapter says the fraternity has canceled its annual Old South parade.

The event has traditionally featured members dressed as Confederate soldiers and waving Confederate flags. Last year's parade stopped in front of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority's house as the historically black group was holding an event celebrating its 35th anniversary. The incident upset many of the group's alumnae.

Sorority members said they requested an apology from Kappa Alpha members while the trucks were in front of the house but did not receive one. National and local fraternity leaders later apologized.

Following the incident, Alpha Kappa Alpha alumnae sent a letter to UA President Robert Witt asking him cancel all Old South events.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/04/university_of_alabamas_kappa_a.html

I know this was canceled years ago at Auburn before my time there.  I was actually surprised to see it still went on in Tuscaloosa. It saddens me to see that the Old South and anything related to Southern History, Heritage, and my family's ancestry is Racist.  They maybe shouldn't have stopped in front of the Black Sorority, they should have come up with another parade route.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Old South Parade
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »
It saddens me to see that the Old South and anything related to Southern History, Heritage, and my family's ancestry is Racist.  They maybe shouldn't have stopped in front of the Black Sorority, they should have come up with another parade route.

I don't think that the parade's concept or history was inherently objectionable and I don't think that was the basis for the complaint.  It was the concept AND the obviously racially motivated stop at AKA.  The underlined portion of your post would have resulted in no disruption in their tradition.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:38:35 PM »
The underlined portion of your post would have resulted in no disruption in their tradition.

Maybe...But I am thinking no...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »
Maybe...But I am thinking no...

Why not?  They'd been throwing this shindig for quite some time.  I'm sure it ruffled feathers, but as long as the kids weren't antagonistic it seems to have been allowed.  Then some wiseass had to roll up to the black sorority house mid-function. 

That wiseass is the reason the kids can't have their parade.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
If the gay and lesbian parade stopped in front of the Baptist student union, would their parade have been canceled?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »
If the gay and lesbian parade stopped in front of the Baptist student union, would their parade have been canceled?

Nope.  This is just another example of those unfortunate, upper-middle class white boys being held down by the man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions