Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

10 Exciting Draft Picks You Might Not Be Excited About Yet

10 Exciting Draft Picks You Might Not Be Excited About Yet
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »
Draft picks that aren't necessarily headliners but ones that I am particularly excited about:

1.  Brandon Graham LB/DE - Philadelphia Eagles 1st Round 
Graham is a pass rushing demon and will consistently be in the backfield.  Very similar to Dwight Freeney in both size and speed, Graham will give the Eagles a much needed threat in the backfield.  This is a great pick as Dallas dominated the Eagles last year because the Eagles couldn't get to Romo.  Also, with the Redskins acquiring McNabb, the Eagles will need all the defensive speed they can find to stay in the hunt in their division. 

2.  Sean Weatherspoon LB - Atlanta Falcons 1st Round
As much as I hate the Falcons, this is an awesome pick.  Weatherspoon is one of those guys that has an Energizer Battery in his spine.  He's a big time trash talker and has a lot of speed.  Reminds me of Joey Porter.  With my Saints having a "spread em out and throw" offense, the Falcons just upped their chances of winning the division with this pick.

3.  Dez Bryant WR - Dallas Cowboys 1st Round
Tony Romo's time has come.  He won't have any excuses next year as his receivers are stacked.  The running game is stacked.  The defense is stacked.  The addition of Dez Bryant gives the Cowboys a much needed down field threat in the passing game.  There's no reason not to expect the Cowboys to be the first team to play a home game for the Super Bowl.  Only Romo can hold them back.

4.  Arrelious Benn WR - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2nd Round
Benn was a 1st round talent who couldn't test well at the combine.  On the field, he was outstanding.  He has a big body and effectively separates himself from receivers.  He doesn't have the best hands in the world, but he'll be a valuable asset to a struggling Tampa team trying to build around Josh Freeman.  Freeman probably threw a party after this pick.

5.  Sergio Kindle LB - Baltimore Ravens 2nd Round
Kindle is another 1st round talent who dropped due to a knee surgery and possible character issues.  However, Kindle is a beast and will most likely be a huge threat in rushing the passer.  The Ravens know how to draft well.  They always have.  Kindle will help that defense stay in the top 5 for years. 

6.  Taylor Mays S - San Francisco 2nd Round
I'm not a Taylor Mays fan, but I must admit I'm excited to see a hard hitting crush-your-helmet safety back in the bay area.  This is the only place I could root for Taylor Mays.  Not sure why, but it just looks good. 

7.  Toby Gerhart RB - Minnesota Vikings 2nd Round
Besides the fact that he's a white running back, Gerhart is going to be a huge story backing up Adrian Peterson. He instantly made the Vikings the most physical offense in the league, and if Brett Favre comes back, Gerhart will fill a hole Chester Taylor could never fill: picking up the blitz.  It's what kept the Vikings from beating the Saints.

8.  Jermaine Cunningham/Brandon Spikes - New England Patriots 2nd Round
Brandon Spikes is too slow to be a Ray Lewis-type player.  He needs a solid defensive line that has tremendous speed and can seal off the outside.  Cunningham is the perfect complement to Spikes's ability.  Brandon Spikes will be a force in the middle, and New England will be able to take the division as the Dolphins and Jets both rely on a solid ground attack to win.

9.  Chad Jones - New York Giants 3rd Round
Chad Jones was a solid player for LSU.   Adding Antrel Rolle provided the Giants with speed and coverage in the secondary, and Chad Jones will be perfect for defending the run and taking out crossers.  He's a big time value pick falling into the third round.

10.  Damien Williams - Tennessee Titans 3rd Round
A flashy superstar-like player who kills on the deep ball - Williams is something Vince Young desperately needed.  With Chris Johnson being such a threat from the back field and with Vince's running ability, there'll be plenty of one-on-one opportunities for Williams to go deep.  He adds a new dynamic to the Titans's offense that will help put up at least one touchdown per game. 

This is the deepest draft I've ever seen.  There's still plenty of talent left to be gotten in the 4th round. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jadennis

Re: 10 Exciting Draft Picks You Might Not Be Excited About Yet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:23:03 PM »
This is the deepest draft I've ever seen.  There's still plenty of talent left to be gotten in the 4th round.  

I was thinking the same thing today.  If I had a pick in the 20-30 range, I think I would have traded it for a two in the 50-70 range.  If I already had one in the 50-70 range, I would have traded it for two in the 100-120 range.  This is one of those drafts that if you can draft 6 or 7 guys in the top 5 rounds, you can get some serious roster help.

To me, there aren't too many in the first two rounds that are much more of a sure-thing than similar guys taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Morgan Burnett at #71...is Taylor Mays at #49 any better?
Rennie Curran at #97.
Jacoby Ford at #108.  
Eric Norwood at #124.  
Aaron Hernandez at 113.
Roddrick Muckelroy as the last pick of the 4th round (#131)?
Perrish Cox at #137.

Any one of the guys above could be All-pro in the next three years.  They are players.  Testing aside.  Kind of like Dat Nguyen from Texas A&M that played for the Cowboys or Keith Brooking from Ga Tech that played for the Falcons forever.  Those guys were just "football" players.  Lots in this draft.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:33:43 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
I was thinking the same thing today.  If I had a pick in the 20-30 range, I think I would have traded it for a two in the 50-70 range.  If I already had one in the 50-70 range, I would have traded it for two in the 100-120 range.  This is one of those drafts that if you can draft 6 or 7 guys in the top 5 rounds, you can get some serious roster help.

To me, there are too many in the first two rounds that are much more of a sure-thing than similar guys taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Morgan Burnett at #71...is Taylor Mays at #49 any better?
Rennie Curran at #97.
Jacoby Ford at #108. 
Eric Norwood at #124. 
Aaron Hernandez at 113.
Roddrick Muckelroy as the last pick of the 4th round (#131)?
Perrish Cox at #137.

Any one of the guys above could be All-pro in the next three years.  They are players.  Testing aside.  Kind of like Dat Nguyen from Texas A&M that played for the Cowboys or Keith Brooking from Ga Tech that played for the Falcons forever.  Those guys were just "football" players.  Lots in this draft.

Yeah Aaron Hernandez and Eric Norwood stand out the most to me.  Hernandez is going to create a lot of mismatches and having Tom Brady throwing the ball is a deadly combination.  Also, Eric Norwood is a serious player.   

I think Joe McKnight is a good value pick.  He has the ability to be a dynamic player like Bush.  He needs to focus on football, though, and less on how awesome he is.  He's got the athletic talent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:30:55 AM »

3.  Dez Bryant WR - Dallas Cowboys 1st Round
Tony Romo's time has come.  He won't have any excuses next year as his receivers are stacked.  The running game is stacked.  The defense is stacked.  The addition of Dez Bryant gives the Cowboys a much needed down field threat in the passing game.  There's no reason not to expect the Cowboys to be the first team to play a home game for the Super Bowl.  Only Romo can hold them back.

Fuck yeah. I still have a woodrow from Thursday night concerning this....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:34:40 AM »
The Ravens Defense is gonna be fuckin' bad ass...hell, they already were one of the Top Ds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs