friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: gulf of mexico...oil rig fire.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
No - Transocean is a massive drilling company.  We are an oilfield service provider.  Two different things.  If the well cannot be redrilled at the present location, my company could be called out later on to plug and abandon the hole, or even assist in any salvage operations requiring a heavy lift barge.

The fact that they were drilling but not producing makes this a blame game - lots of hands involved, and most of the people that were standing right around the well (which I am guessing was the source of the fire/explosion/whathaveyou) are probably dead.  Generally speaking, an uncontrolled well condition (a blowout or explosion from the reservoir) and any related fire will contractually be the responsibility of the operator, in this case, BP.  But BP is notorious for trying to cram as much liability as they can back on their contractors, and if they can allege gross negligence on the part of the driller, then that will tie things up in court forever. 

However, Transocean is HUGE and a major player, so their negotiating leverage with BP is a lot better than mine.  Hopefully, they got catastrophic event indemnity from BP, including indemnity for all personal injury claims and damage to their rig, which, last time I checked, was on its way to the bottom of the GOM. 

The claims for this one are gonna be through the roof tho - burn victims?  Employees lost at sea?  Suckage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »
No - Transocean is a massive drilling company.  We are an oilfield service provider.  Two different things.  If the well cannot be redrilled at the present location, my company could be called out later on to plug and abandon the hole, or even assist in any salvage operations requiring a heavy lift barge.

The fact that they were drilling but not producing makes this a blame game - lots of hands involved, and most of the people that were standing right around the well (which I am guessing was the source of the fire/explosion/whathaveyou) are probably dead.  Generally speaking, an uncontrolled well condition (a blowout or explosion from the reservoir) and any related fire will contractually be the responsibility of the operator, in this case, BP.  But BP is notorious for trying to cram as much liability as they can back on their contractors, and if they can allege gross negligence on the part of the driller, then that will tie things up in court forever. 

However, Transocean is HUGE and a major player, so their negotiating leverage with BP is a lot better than mine.  Hopefully, they got catastrophic event indemnity from BP, including indemnity for all personal injury claims and damage to their rig, which, last time I checked, was on its way to the bottom of the GOM. 

The claims for this one are gonna be through the roof tho - burn victims?  Employees lost at sea?  Suckage.
I'll take the case!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
Well, it looks like the rig is not going to sink - one estimate of its repalcement value is $600-$700 million.  BP dodged a bullet, as loss of a rig due to blowout would be on BP's tab.

The article I read also referred to the worst accident ever in offshore drilling.  It's known as the Piper Alpha explosion.

The deadliest offshore drilling accident took place in 1988, when an Occidental Petroleum platform about 120 miles off Aberdeen, Scotland, was rocked by explosions and fire. A total of 167 men were killed.

To this day, they still do not know what caused the explosion, as most of the people on the rig died.  AND... to this day, 22 years later, some claims are STILL in litigation...

An attorney's wet dream...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
Well, it looks like the rig is not going to sink - one estimate of its repalcement value is $600-$700 million.  BP dodged a bullet, as loss of a rig due to blowout would be on BP's tab.

Wrong again - said rig is now on the bottom of the GOM.

Sucks to be BP, although it could not have happened to a nicer bunch of bastards...  I am thrilled that they are liable... bitches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 02:54:44 PM »
I'll take the case!

Family members of one missing worker, Shane Roshto of Amite, Miss., filed a lawsuit in New Orleans on Thursday accusing the rig's owner of negligence. The suit said he was thrown overboard by the explosion and is feared dead, though it did not indicate how family members knew that was what happened.

The suit names Transocean Ltd., which owns the rig, and oil giant BP, which contracted it. A Transocean spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment and BP wouldn't discuss the suit.

Damn, AWK, you work fast!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions