Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Quick Phone ????

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Quick Phone ????
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »
My shitphone from Verizon exploded a few days ago and now I'm forced to "upgrade".  It's a business/personal phone and our account is with Verizon.  I've looked at both the BB Tour and a Droid.  I've been hearing about 50/50 horror stories/love it on Blackberries in general and a very semi-wise person from this board has given a ringing endorsement to the Droid. 

Recommendations on either?  And this may sound simple but the Verizon store here only has Droids made by Motorola right now.  Is it the same phone from company to company or does one make a better BB or Droid than the other?

Signed,

Phoneless in Phoenix 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Quick Phone ????
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
Think of Droid more as a operating platform than a phone.  (yea I know it is a phone as well)

I have a HTC Hero which operates on the droid platform and I love it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
I recently got the Motorola Cliq Titanium running on the Droid platform, and I absolutely love it.  I have had a BB 8830 for over a year for work, and there really is no comparison.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:46:50 AM »
Well, I'm switching from the Intek 9000 Quasi-infrared G70X series running off 2 Double A Duracells and...

Look, you're talking to quite possibly the most tech-impaired individual on earth.  My 9 year old knows way more than I do.  Infact, he's typing this for me now.  What is a platform?  Do I buy a Droid but have to get another phone to sit on the platform?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:47:41 AM by Harvey Birdboy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:09 AM »
Well, I'm switching from the Intek 9000 Quasi-infrared G70X series running off 2 Double A Duracells and...

Look, you're talking to quite possibly the most tech-impaired individual on earth.  My 9 year old knows way more than I do.  What is a platform?  Do I buy a Droid but have to get another phone to sit on the platform?

Think of Droid as Microsoft with less money in the bank...for now anyway.
The Dingleberry was a great phone a few years back, but the "smartphones" whether it be the iPhone or any of the Droid phones have pushed them back into the pack IMO.

Long story short...get the Droid phone and I will sell you the platform.  I have discount coupons for you, so you can save a few bucks on the platform.  How tall are you anyway?  I will have to find the right platform for you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »
Think of Droid as Microsoft with less money in the bank...for now anyway.
The Dingleberry was a great phone a few years back, but the "smartphones" whether it be the iPhone or any of the Droid phones have pushed them back into the pack IMO.

Long story short...get the Droid phone and I will sell you the platform.  I have discount coupons for you, so you can save a few bucks on the platform.  How tall are you anyway?  I will have to find the right platform for you.

I still have a pair of paltform shoes.  I look damn good in em' when I wear my black knits with the white stitching down the sides.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
Just send me $1000 and I will get this shipped to you overnight.

This is the best phone in the business, it has teh webs (cob), text(it shows phone numbers), and is a phone.

Disregard the wire I guarantee this is a wireless model. Best part it can also double as a weapon.

Best deal you'll find...I will IM you with my paypal account  info.

I have attached some pictures for you.

"

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:28:39 PM »
Sweet.  Saw one of those on the freecreditreport.com commercial.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
On the bright side, your wife should have no trouble installing that gps locator on that one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »
On the bright side, your wife should have no trouble installing that gps locator on that one.
She brings the pain.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »
You wound me
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:42:16 PM »
She brings the pain.
Off the top rope.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »

AUS comes out of nowhere and blindsides the Birdman with a haymaker!  Well played, chica.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
Try this. These things never explode.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
My shitphone from Verizon exploded a few days ago and now I'm forced to "upgrade".  It's a business/personal phone and our account is with Verizon.  I've looked at both the BB Tour and a Droid.  I've been hearing about 50/50 horror stories/love it on Blackberries in general and a very semi-wise person from this board has given a ringing endorsement to the Droid. 

Recommendations on either?  And this may sound simple but the Verizon store here only has Droids made by Motorola right now.  Is it the same phone from company to company or does one make a better BB or Droid than the other?

Signed,

Phoneless in Phoenix 
I recently bought a Droid Eris by HTC and love it. I tried out a friend's Motorola Droid, and that is one bulky bastard. I suppose it works the same as my Droid Eris, but it does have a physical QWERTY keyboard that slides out. My wife had a BB and will never go back after having this Droid. If you order phones online from Verizon, they are way cheaper than at the store, and right now you can get smartphones buy one get one free.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jadennis

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »
If you're with Verizon, I would recommend the Palm Pre Plus.  I have it with Sprint and love it.  My wife has an android based phone too (HTC Hero) and she like hers as well.  "Android by Google" = "Windows by Microsoft" for the most part. 

What I like about the Pre is Palm's operating system (again, think Windows).  It lets you keep multiple programs open at the same time, and just slide them off the screen without closing them.  Say you're  texting someone and need to write a phone number in the text, but need to look it up in an email you got in your gmail account.  Well you don't have to close the text, open your email, write down the number, then reopen the text.  You can leave it open while you go to your email.

Think of it like minimizing something on your desk top computer.  You can have Word, Excell, Internet Explorer, and iTunes all open at the same time on your computer...you just shrink one to the bottom of the screen, but you don't actually close it.  It's still there when you pull it back up.

Anyway, it's useful.  There have been plenty of times that it's come in handy.  I'll be texting someone, need to get directions off google maps for them, and then also get an incoming call.  I don't have to stop doing any of those actions....they all work at the same time, staying open simultaneously. 

Speaking of google maps...it's very useful on the Pre.  I was in Dallas one weekend and needed a hotel.  So I opened google maps (with GPS it pulls up the area around you, and you're a little blue dot on the map that moves as you move).  I typed in "hotel", and it shows all the hotels around me.  Then I touch the hotel on the map and it pulls up its address, phone number, and customer reviews from the internet.  Then I touch the phone number and it just starts dialing the number.  It was the easiest hotel search and booking I've ever done.  Took 2 minutes from car.

It also links everything together.  You can have one inbox on your phone where emails, facebook messages, Outlook, etc all go.  Same with contacts.  If I pull up a friend in my contacts list, it shows their multiple phone numbers, facebook info, email addresses, etc.  In fact, if they are signed into gmail, there is a green light and i can start chatting with them in their gmail chat without having to do anything (I've never done it, but you could if you wanted).

Anyway, to me, it's very intuitive, very easy to use, and very useful.  Also, it's a full size touch screen, but has a small slide out keyboard for texting and typing.  I prefer that in a big way to typing on a touch screen.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5129&changingCompletedOrder=

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »

I'm really trying to read into this.  I mean, really.  I've created a few scenarios in my head, each as interesting as the next.

At any rate, welcome back, Birdboy.  I missed you, but not as much as some people on here.   :bc:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »
Went with the Droid.  I've had it three days and love the hell out of it.  It does everything including act as a level if you just happen to be doing some construction work or hanging a picture.  It's out getting me a protein shake right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »
Went with the Droid.  I've had it three days and love the hell out of it.  It does everything including act as a level if you just happen to be doing some construction work or hanging a picture.  It's out getting me a protein shake right now.
The only bad thing about the Droid phones is battery. If you use the internet or wifi on your phone alot, it will suck some power. I made a few adjustments to my Droid Eris, and I get alot better battery life out of it now.

1. Make a widget to turn your mobile internet on/off. If you aren't using any application dependant on the internet while you aren't using your phone, all it is doing is sucking your battery down. Do the same for GPS.

2. Turn the display brightness down. I have mine turned down pretty far and I can still see it ok outside.

3. Download an app like Advanced Task Killer or something to kill applications running in the background. I have this app on my phone and I set it to autokill tasks when the screen turns off.

I had my phone off of the charger for 12 hours yesterday, and I still had 48% charge left on it. I was uploading pics to Facebook, texting, and talking on the phone a good bit too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler