Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Great idea, wish we had thought of it....

jadennis

Great idea, wish we had thought of it....
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:20:16 PM »
Looks like Tuberville hasn't escaped the SEC.  Texas Tech is said to be opening 2012 at Cowboy's Stadium against Alabama.  I really wish it was Auburn opening against Texas A&M or Oklahoma State or Missouri.  Having a big game in Texas to start the year would be nice.

With recruiting in the southeast getting tougher and tougher (with teams like Oregon, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, etc going down there regularly now), it would be good to keep a reputation out in Texas.  Wider recruiting area just means more recruits to chase down...not a bad thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5043656

Texas Tech is taking Tommy Tuberville back to his roots, having reportedly reached a verbal agreement to open the 2012 season against defending national champion Alabama at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

"We've agreed to do it," Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal in Wednesday's editions. "I think Alabama's agreed to do it. But, we haven't gotten down to signing a contract or anything like that."

Myers said both coaches -- Tuberville and Alabama's Nick Saban -- are "on board" with the decision to play the game.

The Tuscaloosa News, citing anonymous sources in the Alabama athletic department, reported that the Crimson Tide have not agreed to the matchup.

Tech hired Tuberville in January after firing Mike Leach amid controversy after 10 seasons. Tuberville was Auburn's head coach from 1999 to 2008 before stepping down with an 85-40 record, including a 7-3 mark against the Crimson Tide.

Under Mike Leach, the Red Raiders were often criticized for scheduling weak nonconference games. Tech will open the 2010 season at home against much-improved SMU and will also face New Mexico, Weber State and Houston. The Red Raiders played Big 12 foe Baylor at Cowboys Stadium last season.

Alabama, the defending BCS national champion, has opened each of the past two seasons with a neutral-site game in Atlanta against an ACC opponent. The Crimson Tide will open the 2010 season with back-to-back home games this season against San Jose State and Penn State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Aubie16

Re: Great idea, wish we had thought of it....
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
I have never understood the thought that playing games in certain areas of the country will lead to increased recruiting in that area. I know lots of coaches that believe it, so I''m sure I'm in the minority, but I don't see it .

This isn't the 1980's. Almost every recruit has a TV at their house with 3 different ESPN's, all the networks, etc. The kids know these big "name" games are being played no matter where they are.  I don't think some kid in Atlanta got any more excited about the Clemson-Alabama game than some kid in Texas just because it was being played there.

They only reason it could be beneficial that I see is that they could go to the game on an unofficial visit a lot easier than they could travel to one farther away.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »
Looks like Tuberville hasn't escaped the SEC.  Texas Tech is said to be opening 2012 at Cowboy's Stadium against Alabama.  I really wish it was Auburn opening against Texas A&M or Oklahoma State or Missouri.  Having a big game in Texas to start the year would be nice.

With recruiting in the southeast getting tougher and tougher (with teams like Oregon, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, etc going down there regularly now), it would be good to keep a reputation out in Texas.  Wider recruiting area just means more recruits to chase down...not a bad thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5043656

I think he is betting the house that he will have the talent substantially upgraded between now and then. Texas Tech isnt even close to being in Bama's league at the moment. It is what it is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »
I have never understood the thought that playing games in certain areas of the country will lead to increased recruiting in that area. I know lots of coaches that believe it, so I''m sure I'm in the minority, but I don't see it .

This isn't the 1980's. Almost every recruit has a TV at their house with 3 different ESPN's, all the networks, etc. The kids know these big "name" games are being played no matter where they are.  I don't think some kid in Atlanta got any more excited about the Clemson-Alabama game than some kid in Texas just because it was being played there.

They only reason it could be beneficial that I see is that they could go to the game on an unofficial visit a lot easier than they could travel to one farther away.   

It is not so much that "recruiting" will be better for Alabama in Texas as much as it will be a huge recruiting tool. FUCKING H U G E. Those guys that sign and play for Alabama get to play in Cowboy Stadium during the regular season. Fucking COWBOY STADIUM. Have you seen this thing? It is fucking awesome. If you don't think that will get a few kids looking your way, then I think you are wrong. It is like an extra bowl game as far as something different and getting to travel to another part of the country.

I think he is betting the house that he will have the talent substantially upgraded between now and then. Texas Tech isnt even close to being in Bama's league at the moment. It is what it is.

I don't think that has even crossed his mind. He is trying to get fan base up here in the DFW metro plex....which is about a 4 hour ride from hell from Lubbock. There is a lot of fan base here, but there is no talk of TT in the media. He is doing his thing to try and market his program. Win win for both teams IMO. I wish Auburn would have done this...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »

I agree with War Eagle on how it helps.  But I also agree that Alabama and Clemson didn't help themselves in the Atlanta area by playing in the Georgia Dome.  But part of that is because Alabama and Clemson are already Atlanta-area programs by proximity.

Alabama playing in Dallas is putting themselves in the local news in a market in which they aren't typically a topic.  There will be local (and national) advertising for weeks leading up to that game.  I'm sure Saban will make sure lots of local coaches and players are there.  It's just a good idea to go into an off-the-beaten-path market like Dallas and throw your name and brand around. 

Notre Dame played here in San Antonio in 2009.  It was on bill boards, on radio talk shows, in the local news, etc.  They held a big pep-rally downtown near the Alamo Dome, etc.  People (including HS players) from all over drove in to check it out. 

Anyway, I agree with your assertion about programs being more nationally known these days than 20+ years ago.  But being able to see a game on ESPN or look something up on the internet is still no substitute for physically rolling your program in to town for a big-time, Cowboy Stadium game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »
If what many on this board say is true about the Longhorn godsgiftofootball attitude, I imaging the State will be alive knowing that the SEC team that just kicked their ass on the biggest stage is coming to town.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »
If what many on this board say is true about the Longhorn godsgiftofootball attitude, I imaging the State will be alive knowing that the SEC team that just kicked their ass on the biggest stage is coming to town.

I don't live in Austin but used to travel there a bit for business. I don't get why people say that the Longhorns think they are everything college football. I don't see it. Are they cocky. Sure. But not any where near Alabama fans. And not only that, but there is just so much more to do here. The talk is rarely college footbal like it is in Alabama. The UT fans are already over the loss as far as I can tell. There has not been one mention of it. There is no coverage on spring practice of any of the schools. It's just a lot different out here...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
I don't live in Austin but used to travel there a bit for business. I don't get why people say that the Longhorns think they are everything college football. I don't see it. Are they cocky. Sure. But not any where near Alabama fans. And not only that, but there is just so much more to do here. The talk is rarely college footbal like it is in Alabama. The UT fans are already over the loss as far as I can tell. There has not been one mention of it. There is no coverage on spring practice of any of the schools. It's just a lot different out here...

Very true.  And from my experience here, the main ones that are "UT rules the world" snobs are people that actually went to UT, not your sidewalk, t-shirt wearing "Texas" fans.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »
Very true.  And from my experience here, the main ones that are "UT rules the world" snobs are people that actually went to UT, not your sidewalk, t-shirt wearing "Texas" fans.

THIS.  100%.  There are NO sidewalk alums for any Big 2+10 colleges out here.  The person always says "Well, when **I **was at UT..." blah blah fuckety blah...  Unfortunately, there are a lot of these fuckers walking around.

High school football is much MUCh bigger in Texas than college football.  Not sure why, but that is a true statement.  I have never seen anything like it.  State playoff games are shown LIVE on local networks.  Stadiums look like small college stadiums.  The games are PACKED.  Tailgates - for HIGH SCHOOL GAMES.  No basis for understanding it, but it is real.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »
THIS.  100%.  There are NO sidewalk alums for any Big 2+10 colleges out here.  The person always says "Well, when **I **was at UT..." blah blah phukety blah...  Unfortunately, there are a lot of these phukers walking around.

High school football is much MUCh bigger in Texas than college football.  Not sure why, but that is a true statement.  I have never seen anything like it.  State playoff games are shown LIVE on local networks.  Stadiums look like small college stadiums.  The games are PACKED.  Tailgates - for HIGH SCHOOL GAMES.  No basis for understanding it, but it is real.

The reason it is not like that in Alabama is the bammer fans have already spent their minimum wages on season tickets for Bryant Denny.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:13:53 PM »
The reason it is not like that in Alabama is the bammer fans have already spent their minimum wages on season tickets for Bryant Denny.

Not all Alabama fans. We all know of a couple.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 11:29:53 PM »
Not all Alabama fans. We all know of a couple.

Are coming to the Auburn A-Day game?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »
Are coming to the Auburn A-Day game?

A good buddy of mine (he's an allbarn guy) wants me to go with him but since I am going to Alabama's I had to respectfully decline his offer. I have been to a few games there at Jordan-Hare; Pat Dye Field but not an A-Day game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »

Whats sadder than all of us obsessing over 18-22 yr old in the fall?

People in Texas obsessing over 15-17 yr olds in the fall. To me its fucking sad, and all of the movies that show the obsession (Friday Night Lights, Varsity Blues) hit it right on the head. They should be embarrassed frankly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »

People tailgaited at our high school games at Prattville here in Alabama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions